Author Topic: Q: regarding speaker distance setting on receivers  (Read 623 times)

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 304
Q: regarding speaker distance setting on receivers
« on: Feb 01, 2019 at 04:51 PM »
masters just wanna ask, what's the essence of calibrating speaker distance? i mean my huge impact ba yun sa sound quality ng speakers? how to measure distance manually? what's my base point of measurement? i want to configure my receiver settings manually without using YPAO..

thanks in advance sa sasagot.

Offline mbtorn

• Trade Count: (+169)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 75
Re: Q: regarding speaker distance setting on receivers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2019 at 06:04 PM »
A simple way is to run pink noise and measure speaker level output using a SPL meter. Usual level is 75dB for each speaker while others set the center channel a few dB hotter. Now, this may become more complex if you start considering speaker distance with the likes of rule of thirds, real trap option or cardas to set proper delays (in phase) for the audio signals to reach your ears.

Offline JeromeA

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2019 at 06:16 PM »
kasi for me i'm calibrating the distance using the YPAO. then i manually overwrite the volume on each channel.

Offline fattyacid

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • DVD Addict
  • Captcha Master Solver Skill Level 18
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2019 at 07:07 PM »
what's the essence of calibrating speaker distance?
-different room sizes/configuration will have different speaker distances to the audience, so in general you calibrate the speakers to give the same audio level to you (or to where you'll be sitting). If you will be watching mostly near the back, or near your surround speakers, without calibration your surround speakers will sound louder that the ones in front. If calibrated, all speakers will sound equal as if your in the center of the room.

i mean my huge impact ba yun sa sound quality ng speakers? Yes and no. Audio quality is by preference. Audio level calibration will have a huge impact if you're really off the center position of your system. Some audio processing of AVRs muffle the audio quality especially if you pick a lot of area points for calibration. For me, I just turn it off and sit as center as I could. And maybe just tweak the center and surrounds to be a bit louder.

how to measure distance manually? what's my base point of measurement? Your receiver should give you the measurement after calibration. Just rough check it using a tape measure if you have one. Your should measure from where you will be watching, and mostly that's where your couch or sofa is.

Be better than the Theater.

Offline JeromeA

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2019 at 07:28 PM »
what's the essence of calibrating speaker distance?
-different room sizes/configuration will have different speaker distances to the audience, so in general you calibrate the speakers to give the same audio level to you (or to where you'll be sitting). If you will be watching mostly near the back, or near your surround speakers, without calibration your surround speakers will sound louder that the ones in front. If calibrated, all speakers will sound equal as if your in the center of the room.

i mean my huge impact ba yun sa sound quality ng speakers? Yes and no. Audio quality is by preference. Audio level calibration will have a huge impact if you're really off the center position of your system. Some audio processing of AVRs muffle the audio quality especially if you pick a lot of area points for calibration. For me, I just turn it off and sit as center as I could. And maybe just tweak the center and surrounds to be a bit louder.

how to measure distance manually? what's my base point of measurement? Your receiver should give you the measurement after calibration. Just rough check it using a tape measure if you have one. Your should measure from where you will be watching, and mostly that's where your couch or sofa is.

yes!!! thank you. tama nga ginagawa ko.. level nalang kinacalibrate ko.. salamat sir!