Author Topic: In-Ceiling for Surround?  (Read 695 times)

Offline mpbtejada

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
In-Ceiling for Surround?
« on: Mar 27, 2019 at 10:34 AM »
Hi. I'm gearing up for a basic 5.1 HT in my living room but space constraints really prevent me from having rear surrounds since the living room opens up to my stairs, dining and kitchen on the left due to the open design of the ground floor. I already have an Onkyo TX-SR373 connected to a pair of Elac Debut B6 for my L/R, a Wharfedale Wh-2 for my Center and an old Dynaquest DQ-12 for my Subwoofer. Can I use in-ceiling speakers as my surrounds instead? Looking at a Dai-ichi Studio Acoustics SA-360A to fulfill this need. TIA!

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 856
Re: In-Ceiling for Surround?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2019 at 11:49 AM »
Why not. A relative of mine has a similar set up in a way, he used in wall speakers for the LCR and ceiling speakers for the rear. Very stealth looking and it sounds great as well.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline comet

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2019 at 12:20 PM »
Pwede yan, I would recommend the polk audio in ceiling, nagamit ko na as surrounds for my in law

Offline mpbtejada

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2019 at 12:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies! Any tips on how it should the in-ceiling speakers should be positioned? Is it supposed to be directly above the listening position? Or a bit behind? Couldn't find anything on this on the net. The only guides I could see are for the usual stand-mounted surround setup.

Offline czarsky

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2019 at 03:49 PM »
It should be behind the listener, so you can hear the sound coming from behind. But of course, if no enough space, pwede na rin cguro directly above.

If you haven’t bought your ceiling speaker, I have one pair of Studio Acoustics, modified with 2-way crossover, never used and mounted.

« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2019 at 03:55 PM by czarsky »
thanks!
czarsky

Offline mpbtejada

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2019 at 05:06 PM »
It should be behind the listener, so you can hear the sound coming from behind. But of course, if no enough space, pwede na rin cguro directly above.

If you haven’t bought your ceiling speaker, I have one pair of Studio Acoustics, modified with 2-way crossover, never used and mounted.
Interested!

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk