Author Topic: Help with my wharfedale 9.1  (Read 937 times)

Offline sidewinder

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
Help with my wharfedale 9.1
« on: Jul 07, 2019 at 03:24 AM »
Hi guys, just dug up an old pair of wharfedale 9.1, just wondering what the problem could be, i hooked it up to my amp, and when i connect it to via banana plugs the black/red combination, the first pair on top, only sound from the tweeter comes out, when i plug them in the bottom red/black combination, only the woofer has sound... what could be the damage on this one and is it still possible to repair  it? Many thanks

Online t-bone

• Trade Count: (+243)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 591
Re: Help with my wharfedale 9.1
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2019 at 03:57 AM »
You need a connector to link the two red and the two black terminals....for the tweeter and woofer to work together.

Google images: Bi wire terminal cup

« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2019 at 04:02 AM by t-bone »
Samsung 65"
Denon 3808
Apogee speakers

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2019 at 04:02 AM »
You need a connector to link the two red and the two black terminals.

Hi sir t-bone thanks for the quick reply, really appreciate it...  but i’m only connecting it the standard way sir, i have the basic wires red/black and i connected them to the corresponding red/black posts... sorry for such a noob question... if it helps to troubleshoot, it seems the tweeter and woofer are working but not simultaneously... not sure how to biwire as i have never tried them before... many thanks in advance :)

Online t-bone

• Trade Count: (+243)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 591
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2019 at 04:10 AM »
Google images: Bi wire terminal cup.

You need those 2 vertical metal strips.  You can DIY with 3inch speaker cable.

Cannot post pics now, my iMac is in the office hehe
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2019 at 04:19 AM by t-bone »
Samsung 65"
Denon 3808
Apogee speakers

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2019 at 04:29 AM »
Thank you so much sir! Got it working na! Many thanks again sir :)

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2019 at 03:29 PM »
nawala lang pala yung terminal bridges... very easy to find a work-around

congratz, nabuhay mo ulet wharf 9.1 mo, sir sidewinder!  ^-^

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 07, 2019 at 04:09 PM »
^yes sir, wasnt aware it was that crucial pala, learned something new thanks again to sir t-bone who replied in the wee hours of the morning hehe... not really into the technical know-how, just set them up once kasi noon sa old house and that was it...
Been collecting dust na doon for a long time so i brought them here in our apartment and it might sound weird but it seems better than my current wharfedale 225, will need to do a direct comparison again, but the 9.1 is really a classic, just so sweet sounding...

Ask ko na din could i use them as surrounds since i already have a 225 as fronts? i have just the basic surrounds by wharfedale, forgot the model na, i figured i'd repurpose the 9.1 since i have a couple of stands din and place them at the back

Just to add pala, i used wires as recommended by sir t-bone and its working well, ask ko na din if i'm doing it right, i let the wires run through exactly where the original terminal bridge goes to, in the outer part, but i noticed since i use a banana plug i could insert the "diy terminal bridge wire" in the hole on the wharfedale which may be more secure, is that a good alternative? thanks
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2019 at 04:58 PM by sidewinder »

Offline Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #7 on: Jul 07, 2019 at 04:43 PM »
^yes sir, wasnt aware it was that crucial pala, learned something new thanks again to sir t-bone who replied in the wee hours of the morning hehe... not really into the technical know-how, just set them up once kasi noon sa old house and that was it...
Been collecting dust na doon for a long time sa i brought them here in our apartment and it might sound weird but it seems better than my current wharfedale 225, will need to do a direct comparison again, but the 9.1 is really a classic, just so sweet sounding...

Ask ko na din could i use them as surrounds since i already have a 225 as fronts? i have just the basic surrounds by wharfedale, forgot the model na, i figured i'd repurpose the 9.1 since i have a couple of stands din and place them at the back
yes sir pero choose kung ano mas ok tumunog as fronts

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+57)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2019 at 08:08 PM »
sanayin mo na as fronts si 225, sir... baka mas gumanda narin tunog niyan later on.. and yes, ok naman for surrounds si 9.1 based on the speakers you currently have.  it's a good idea to re-purpose it as surrounds, you'd get a better and immerse audio as it has a wider-ranged specs compared with the basic surround speakers you mentioned (pwede mo nrin siya i-sell sa marketplace.. hehe)

and okay naman din to screw-in the "DIY bridge wires", as I assume it is a bare wire. so yes, secured yan =)

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jul 07, 2019 at 08:43 PM »
sanayin mo na as fronts si 225, sir... baka mas gumanda narin tunog niyan later on.. and yes, ok naman for surrounds si 9.1 based on the speakers you currently have.  it's a good idea to re-purpose it as surrounds, you'd get a better and immerse audio as it has a wider-ranged specs compared with the basic surround speakers you mentioned (pwede mo nrin siya i-sell sa marketplace.. hehe)

and okay naman din to screw-in the "DIY bridge wires", as I assume it is a bare wire. so yes, secured yan =)

Got it thanks so much sir!