Author Topic: VA or IPS, Direct Lit or Edge Lit?  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Kier

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
VA or IPS, Direct Lit or Edge Lit?
« on: Jul 07, 2019 at 12:52 PM »
Prefer ko sana VA panel and at the same time Direct Lit. Pinagpipilian ko yun 55 Samsung RU7100 and 55 Sony X8000G, hindi ko pa na research LG counter part nitong dalawa.
But yung Samsung though VA is Edge Lit and yung Sony na Direct Lit but IPS naman ang panel.

Gusto ko sana yung VA panel for a better Black since I prefer watching na patay ang ilaw sa room and even during day time hindi naman maliwanag sa TV room ko.

Kung may i-sacrifice ako against VA and IPS and Backlit or Edge Lit, ano kaya? Ano po ma-recommend nyo?
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2019 at 04:59 PM by Kier »

Offline mhacman

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 129
Re: VA or IPS, Direct Lit or Edge Lit?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2019 at 02:40 PM »
baka makatulong, sir itong RTINGS.com reviews... if you so believe on such reviews,  also check their recommended settings/configurations.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800g

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ru7100

I have the 49inch Sony x800g (2019 IPS panel) and 43inch Sony x800D (2016 VA panel)... parehas naman okay PQ niya either daytime or nighttime watching movies and Netflix/Youtube streaming.  I don't find any issue with how they depict black levels.  para sa akin, okay na okay PQ nila. on 4K HDR, both model produces stunning colors and very detailed PQ.   I only do USB-connected harddisk when watching local/downloaded 4K/1080p movies via installed Kodi and SPMC.  you could do some Android TV gaming as well.  just buy a separate PS4 Dualshock 4 game controller =)

for Sammy RU7100, I have seen it in stores and they look good!  but I haven't demo it yet using my movie collections.

basta sa VA panel mapapansin mo talaga degraded PQ niya starting at a certain angle.  just watch directly in front of a VA screen.

as for LG IPS panel, try their 2019:
 - top of the line NANO LEDTV: 55SM8600
 - mid-tier NANO LEDTV: 55SM8100

i have the top-of-the-line 2016 LG IPS 55UH8500 too. 

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/uh8500

this tv gets very bright on HDR/Dolby Vision materials.  watching on a dark room, it tends to produce a very obvious light blooming especially seen during the movie's end credits (when the background is purely black).  but on normal scenes, you won't notice it either on lighted or dark room.  and I find its PQ with stunning colors and it is very detailed.  you'll easily get wowed with its PQ.

test them all and bring your own movie materials...  ^-^  good luck!

Offline juanch

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • What is your profession?
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 44
Re: VA or IPS, Direct Lit or Edge Lit?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2019 at 06:03 AM »
VA and Full array backlit is the ideal set but if you have to choose I would go for a VA and Edge lit combo.

My TV is a Samsung KS7000 and uses the VA and Edge lit combo, it's PQ is more than acceptable to my eyes though sometimes you might see some slight light bleed at the edges.
It's still better compared to my other unit a Sony with an IPS panel (IPS panels usually have screen uniformity issues which is bothersome to my eyes)