Author Topic: amp  (Read 895 times)

Offline sidewinder

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
amp
« on: Dec 21, 2019 at 10:53 AM »
Update: already got the marantz since last month :)
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2020 at 01:21 AM by sidewinder »

Offline taloy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 21
Re: Marantz PM5005 or Onkyo A9110
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2019 at 12:27 PM »
just bought the 9130 because i need the optical SPDIF input but i suppose 9110 are 9130 has little differences such as the digital input and the power output wattage and their electronic components are the same and because of that they sound the same. anyway we paired it with BW 606(since that is what i have at home) and compare it to PM5005 and i found both of them 9110(9130 too) sounds the same using tone controls but when you use the direct mode the Onkyos wins my attention.

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2019 at 01:25 PM »
Thanks for the insight sir, though i went with the marantz, its more of aesthetics really as i found them similar in sound, plus the added speaker setup, since it can accomodate another set of speakers it was the deal breaker for me as it will come in handy when i try out new speakers :) the marantz were also in a bit of sale so the price went down and not that high compared to the onkyo.

Offline taloy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2019 at 09:54 PM »
there is something wrong with my onkyo 9130 there is bleeding in both channel Left and Right. i found out this when i'm playing my balance control is this normal? could you check it in your PM5005 if this is normal? otherwise i'm gonna return this to my dealer thanks in advance bro.

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2019 at 02:06 AM »
Hi sir sorry what do u mean there is bleeding in both channels?

Offline taloy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2019 at 01:25 AM »
when i turn the balance control let's say to the left channel, somehow the right channel is not completely dead(there's a little bit of sound coming out) i refer this phenomenon bleeding and i don't know if this is normal. this is really noticeable if you're wearing headset.

Offline Hammerheart

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • DVD Guru
  • Formerly known as tormentor
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2019 at 02:27 PM »
when i turn the balance control let's say to the left channel, somehow the right channel is not completely dead(there's a little bit of sound coming out) i refer this phenomenon bleeding and i don't know if this is normal. this is really noticeable if you're wearing headset.
Have the dealer check it sir. That is not normal.

Offline Hammerheart

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2019 at 02:32 PM »
Audition takes a liitle time. Brings cds, lps, or any medium that you'll be using with the amp. Play your familiar track and switch amps (if possible). The best way of comparing 2 amps is by bringing an amp switcher and find a dealer who have them both

Offline Hammerheart

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2019 at 02:44 PM »
Audition takes a liitle time. Brings cds, lps, or any medium that you'll be using with the amp. Play your familiar track and switch amps (if possible). The best way of comparing 2 amps is by bringing an amp switcher and find a dealer who has them both

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2019 at 05:50 PM »

I dont have that sir its silent on the marantz...

Offline drhiredgun

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Collector
  • res ipsa loquitur! ...57 guns and counting...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 68
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2019 at 11:48 AM »
there is something wrong with my onkyo 9130 there is bleeding in both channel Left and Right. i found out this when i'm playing my balance control is this normal? could you check it in your PM5005 if this is normal? otherwise i'm gonna return this to my dealer thanks in advance bro.

I don't know if this will help, but a funny thing happened to me. I was playing some music using my Zidoo X9S as player which was connected to my TV so I would know what songs are playing (used the TV as monitor). I lowered the volume of my amp to zero but  I still could hear the music. Yon pala the the sound was coming from my TV (connected to the Zidoo via HDMI) and not my speakers being fed by my amp.
I hope it is not related to your amp, sir. BTW, I was using an Onkyo 9010 when this happened.
Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, even if you win you're still retard

Offline taloy

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2020 at 10:13 PM »
i'll tsk this out sir..thanks

Offline mykel_dg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2020 at 11:19 PM »
I used to have PM5005 and upgraded to Onkyo 9150. I know its not the same model as the one being asked by OP but I have to say I like the onkyo alot better. While the 9150 is a diff beast from the 9110, I read somewhere that even the 9110 is better than the PM6006. Marantz has a fun sound but I find it bland when listening at low volumes. the Onkyo (atleast the 9150) has much more brilliance and bass grunt while still being well controlled and almost sounds the same when listening at low volumes. The Onkyo's tone controls and loudness buttons are also tastefully done and not over bearing like the marantz where the loudness button is just overkill.

I also have a quick comparison (disclaimer on the sound quality though) if you are interested, you can listen using neutral/accurate headphones and get atlest an idea of how they differ:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUix_dQoNOw

A fellow pdvd youtuber also reviewed the Onkyo and compared it to the much more expensive cambridge cxa80 and said the Onkyo's amp section( i.e. bypassing internal dac) sound better than the cxa80 amp section. so as long as you have a separate external dac, the onkyo is a much better buy. (also if you don't mind the lower watts)
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2020 at 11:30 PM by mykel_dg »

Offline sidewinder

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2020 at 01:15 AM »
I actually already bought the marantz more than a month ago already as mentioned in my post. Demoed both of them and preferred the marantz sound overall. The fact that it can power two sets of speakers was icing on the cake and the fact that it has a good headphone out as reviewed on headfi ... i have other headphone amps but its good to know it has decent headphone out unlike the crappy ones they place on receivers. the onkyo was not bad but the sound was too bland for my liking.