Author Topic: Help! Right Channel Output for CDP Not as Loud/Detailed as Left Channel  (Read 1177 times)

Offline teridon

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello guys!

I so need your help. My brother recently got an arcam cd player from abroad. when he set it up it to his system, the right channel output of the cd player does not produce sound properly, with its resolution, detail and loudness sounding different from the left channel, to the extent that the right channel is barely audible, thereby distorting the soundstage.

what do you think is the remedy for this? does this entail replacing the circuit board altogether or simply checking whether the metal connections are in place?

thanks.
B&W 800 D2
ML No. 532H
ML No. 326
DCS Debussy
Halide Bridge

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
try swapping the left and the right rca plugs on the cdp output, if the distorted channel swaps place then it's the cdp, if it doesn't then somewhere along your audio chain is the culprit, check your interconnects. check your media too if it's a burned audio cd.

if you think it's the cdp, check again if it has a headphone jack infront and plug a headphone and listen if the sound in one channel is distorted. if not then your problem is in the output section of the cdp which can be caused by a multitude of parts, heck, it can even be caused by a bad muting transistor.

Offline teridon

• Collector
  • Liked:
i think the problem's with the output section of the cdp, having checked all those factors you stated. can this be remedied perhaps by simply changing the balance in the pre-amp, without sacrificing resolution and detail?

or do you suggest that we have it serviced first, just to check if the issue's merely the metal connections?

thanks!
B&W 800 D2
ML No. 532H
ML No. 326
DCS Debussy
Halide Bridge

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
i think the problem's with the output section of the cdp, having checked all those factors you stated. can this be remedied perhaps by simply changing the balance in the pre-amp, without sacrificing resolution and detail?

or do you suggest that we have it serviced first, just to check if the issue's merely the metal connections?

thanks!

simply balancing your preamp won't do much for a solution, there is something there that shouldn't be there so yes, it should be checked first for possible faults.

if you suspect the rca jacks to be the culprit then that should be easy for a tech to check.

Offline teridon

• Collector
  • Liked:
i had another listen last night using different recordings. i guess there's not much of a problem after all. the cd player was just putting the instruments in their proper places in the sound stage. more so, the slightly less audible right channel in some recordings gave an impression of depth.

thanks a lot!
B&W 800 D2
ML No. 532H
ML No. 326
DCS Debussy
Halide Bridge