Author Topic: Need advise in purchasing Smart TV on US  (Read 458 times)

Offline mikz023

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Need advise in purchasing Smart TV on US
« on: May 04, 2020 at 11:14 AM »
Right now im here in Japan. I want to import a smart TV on US because here in Japan, smart TV's are expensive. I know that most of the apps on the smart TV will not work here in Japan because of it's region lock. I wonder if Netflix will work? Is there anybody here who had experience buying US smart TV and use it in the Philippines? Are there some apps working? I'll only use the TV for gaming and watching movies. By the way here in my area the voltage frequency is 100V 60Hz.

Offline wheelee

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Nobodies tomorrow is guaranteed
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: Need advise in purchasing Smart TV on US
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020 at 11:53 AM »
Almost all TV's nowadays are auto-volt from 90V-240V so no problem there
smart TV's bought from the country of origin will have their apps tailored to their region & some can use them outside their region via VPN
some TV's also can side load other apps as long as it is made for Android TV.

Is it really that expensive to get one there in Japan?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020 at 11:54 AM by wheelee »

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020 at 01:03 PM »
Instead of buying a smart TV you can just buy an Android TV box. You can get the full smart TV experience that way without needing to replace your current TV. You can get an Nvidia Shield or a Xiaomi Mi box. I'm mentioning these two specifically because they have drm license so you can get full 4K resolution Netflix.

Offline mikz023

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020 at 02:24 PM »
Almost all TV's nowadays are auto-volt from 90V-240V so no problem there
smart TV's bought from the country of origin will have their apps tailored to their region & some can use them outside their region via VPN
some TV's also can side load other apps as long as it is made for Android TV.

Is it really that expensive to get one there in Japan?

Yes. All of the TV's here in Japan have a built in tuner maybe that's why they are expensive. I have inquired on one of the electronics shop in the US and they are selling multi system TV's but are limited to some models only. I want to buy the the smart TV built for US because they are much cheaper. These TV are 120V 50/60 hz. I dont know if there will be a problem if I used it here in Japan. Well, for gaming and watching movie purposes only.