Author Topic: Locally Available Plasma TV - What To Buy?  (Read 13037 times)

Offline kyle618

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Locally Available Plasma TV - What To Buy?
« Reply #30 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 02:31 AM »
guys ok ba un Pioneer PDP435HDG??? right now its on sale for 299,000 with free home theatre worth daw ng 22k. is this the best possible plasma in the philippines for the price? because my dad might buy it??? or should we just get a newer model from the states say this model --- >Panasonic TH-42PX50U 42" Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV with Built-In ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners its less than 3k in amazon.com

btw is this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00078XIW2/ref=ase_pinoydvd-20 the same as the PDP435HDG???

thx
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2005 at 09:19 PM by DVDiva »

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 10:16 AM »
Hitachi - world's number 1 plasma brand. Their models are on sale now.

I went to their main office cuz I bought a PD300 plasma in behalf of my sister. When I demanded to talk to the boss, I was surprised to know that the distributor was my High school classmate .

Gee, small world indeed  ;D.
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2005 at 05:49 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline alice c. go

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 11:55 AM »
MILLIONNAIRES WE ARE NOT. Thus while a plasma is delectably desirable because of its wafer waistline
our local sellers act like a cabal, a cartel, a mafiosi "collective" in putting a leashed on making this
technology more of an attainable household appliance. Instead of pushing it as a utilitarian appliance that
holds the key of making stock-exchange-smashing bottomline profits, our cartel-like appliance stores confines the plasma as a boutique gadget - elitist, status quo, and artificially ultra-expensive. In our frustration with this pestering variety of mercantilist greed (much like competing Philippines who forget their diff'rences when it comes to imposing oppressive interest rates on loans but a beggar's pittance on dividends), I tend to imagine in time that only the folks with suspicious or scoundrel-ly source of income could plunk serious money on a plasma. You know, the drug kingpin, no-good children of jueteng operators, well-connected smugglers, or a lecherous dependee of balikbayan-OCW remittance. That we are no millionnaires might taint our spite also with a dose of sour-graping. In a way we truly do, but how come North American electronic vendors acts  like Pinoy crabs (talangka) in a basket, pulling their prices to as low as possible to beat the closest competition? This might be cut-throat mercantilism at work, but it sure is democratic, generous and no buyer in his right mind would caused to disagree. But our local vendors maintains an unshaking monolithic hold on pricing. But if this cabal only clusters together because of profit, at the rate that plasma or DLP sets are going which is qualifiably and miserably low (and ultimately unprofitable) - someone from within is bound to jump away from the flock and will get on the clever idea of cornering the specialty TV market with friendlier, more realistic pricing. This is what happened with Infocus, a business projector maker who unleashed the X1 front projector for less than $1,000. - an unbelievably democratic breakthrough price. Promptly, Infocus became the dominant leader, and has remained so for five years and going, the other more predatory makers who were caught offhanded could not caught up as quickly because they've become numbed and obese with obscene profits made from corporations and institutions who're formerly the only clients they could convincingly duped to take their ultra-expensive multi-media projectors. Now, of course, lets not forget, in fairness too, though that these plasma and DLP sets are all imports and thus levied very oppressive tariffs. Unavoidably, that sure adds to the retail price. But folks, if you do have deeper pockets than most and hopelessly salivating for a plasma as much as you salivate for Caspian Sea caviar, French countryside truffles and Gallic chicken liver pate-foie gras - why not bypassed those applaince store predators and go to IMAGE, a small audio-video importer inside the Harrison Plaza. Image stated that they have a plasma, a TOSHIBA 42 incher and the above-board price is P125,000. Have we got one? No, because we cannot afford it and we are nervous about plasma's reliability. Plasma is an unproven technology, the technical press-meister might declare this or that model as "8th generation" but when a unit does indeed fails down, even the neighborhoods' premiere electronics repair shop would likely scratch its head wondering what a plasma TV is, much more that its "run by gas."

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #33 on: Aug 29, 2005 at 02:27 PM »
Matzer... how much are the hitachis current pricing  if they are on sale....thanks

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Aug 30, 2005 at 05:52 PM »
Sent you PM jambam

I am selling some Hitachi Plasmas & LCDs here, just PM me if you are interested.

Sir AV, bili na!  ;)
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2005 at 05:53 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline kyle618

• Apprentice
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Sep 03, 2005 at 09:06 PM »
guys ok ba un Pioneer PDP435HDG??? right now its on sale for 299,000 with free home theatre worth daw ng 22k. is this the best possible plasma in the philippines for the price? because my dad might buy it??? or should we just get a newer model from the states say this model --- >Panasonic TH-42PX50U 42" Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV with Built-In ATSC/QAM/NTSC Tuners its less than 3k in amazon.com

btw is this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00078XIW2/ref=ase_pinoydvd-20 the same as the PDP435HDG???

thx

just bumping my question thx!
« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2005 at 09:19 PM by DVDiva »

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Sep 04, 2005 at 09:48 PM »
the new 8 series 42 inch edtv's panny's are selling at 1599 streetprice  in the US
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline phantomXXX

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 01:14 AM »
Hitachi - world's number 1 plasma brand. Their models are on sale now.

I went to their main office cuz I bought a PD300 plasma in behalf of my sister. When I demanded to talk to the boss, I was surprised to know that the distributor was my High school classmate .

Gee, small world indeed  ;D.

PD300 - Check the inside, it's korea LG

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 04:28 PM »
Sent you PM jambam

I am selling some Hitachi Plasmas & LCDs here, just PM me if you are interested.

Sir AV, bili na!  ;)

thanks for the thought.  wala pang pambili.  ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 04:57 PM »
MILLIONNAIRES WE ARE NOT. Thus while a plasma is delectably desirable because of its wafer waistline
our local sellers act like a cabal, a cartel, a mafiosi "collective" in putting a leashed on making this
technology more of an attainable household appliance. Instead of pushing it as a utilitarian appliance that
holds the key of making stock-exchange-smashing bottomline profits, our cartel-like appliance stores confines the plasma as a boutique gadget - elitist, status quo, and artificially ultra-expensive. In our frustration with this pestering variety of mercantilist greed (much like competing Philippines who forget their diff'rences when it comes to imposing oppressive interest rates on loans but a beggar's pittance on dividends), I tend to imagine in time that only the folks with suspicious or scoundrel-ly source of income could plunk serious money on a plasma. You know, the drug kingpin, no-good children of jueteng operators, well-connected smugglers, or a lecherous dependee of balikbayan-OCW remittance. That we are no millionnaires might taint our spite also with a dose of sour-graping. In a way we truly do, but how come North American electronic vendors acts  like Pinoy crabs (talangka) in a basket, pulling their prices to as low as possible to beat the closest competition? This might be cut-throat mercantilism at work, but it sure is democratic, generous and no buyer in his right mind would caused to disagree. But our local vendors maintains an unshaking monolithic hold on pricing. But if this cabal only clusters together because of profit, at the rate that plasma or DLP sets are going which is qualifiably and miserably low (and ultimately unprofitable) - someone from within is bound to jump away from the flock and will get on the clever idea of cornering the specialty TV market with friendlier, more realistic pricing. This is what happened with Infocus, a business projector maker who unleashed the X1 front projector for less than $1,000. - an unbelievably democratic breakthrough price. Promptly, Infocus became the dominant leader, and has remained so for five years and going, the other more predatory makers who were caught offhanded could not caught up as quickly because they've become numbed and obese with obscene profits made from corporations and institutions who're formerly the only clients they could convincingly duped to take their ultra-expensive multi-media projectors. Now, of course, lets not forget, in fairness too, though that these plasma and DLP sets are all imports and thus levied very oppressive tariffs. Unavoidably, that sure adds to the retail price. But folks, if you do have deeper pockets than most and hopelessly salivating for a plasma as much as you salivate for Caspian Sea caviar, French countryside truffles and Gallic chicken liver pate-foie gras - why not bypassed those applaince store predators and go to IMAGE, a small audio-video importer inside the Harrison Plaza. Image stated that they have a plasma, a TOSHIBA 42 incher and the above-board price is P125,000. Have we got one? No, because we cannot afford it and we are nervous about plasma's reliability. Plasma is an unproven technology, the technical press-meister might declare this or that model as "8th generation" but when a unit does indeed fails down, even the neighborhoods' premiere electronics repair shop would likely scratch its head wondering what a plasma TV is, much more that its "run by gas."

Interesting post you have here.  Nice play of words as well.  I really would want to see Plasma TVs go down below 100T here. However, this E-VAT thing might delay that further.   As to whether those appliance stores are a "cabal" of sorts, there may be some truth to that.  But they probably have no more control over their prices as do the brand owners who dictate the price tags for this part of the world, oceans away from where the real competition for HDTV is heating up in time for the 2006 deadline for analog broadcasts.  Perhaps if the local congress had similar high-tech vision and mandate local stations to go digital at a certain date rather than being too preoccupied with cha cha and jueteng and impeachment, there'd be a better chance that the competition for local HDTV would bring local plasma prices down to grass-roots level. 

And yes, you're right, the neighborhood technician might be stressed to even diagnose one, let alone repair.  But you may be happy to note that most Plasma TVs advertise 60,000 hours as its lifespan.  Not bad.  At 6 hours/day viewing (three movies) that's a good 27 years, maybe more that what I'd expect.  That would make it heirloom-ready.  ;D

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Sep 06, 2005 at 05:34 PM »
But you may be happy to note that most Plasma TVs advertise 60,000 hours as its lifespan.  Not bad.  At 6 hours/day viewing (three movies) that's a good 27 years, maybe more that what I'd expect.  That would make it heirloom-ready.  ;D

Hmm, I could just imagine the TV we were using 27 years ago being given to me as an heirloom. Hmm, real wood finish pa yun, no MDF yet at that time.  ;D

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Sep 19, 2005 at 01:37 PM »
Finally Got a locally Available Panny PWD7 ...

As this model is sold based on configuration , I initially ordered it w/ pc input w/c is standard (basic model) + component input blade + pedestal type stand ..  ( no speaker ) And asked them to bring a TV tuner (21K) for me to try .. As I was sceptical about having a good picture from cable ..

So we tested it first w/ Cable and It's almost as good as a my wega CRT only Bigger for cable TV shows, really a big surprise for me as my HD capable RPTV was  bad in this respect.  In the end I had to fork out a check for 21K becasue the wife wanted it.Anyway our cable signal was really adequate in the first place.

Next I used the component input connected to Divx capable DVD player , Compared to my HD ready Rear Projector ...No contest .. Contrast is great , very good black level and most of all I can see the shadow details that is missing from the RPTV. Even my MPeg4 encoded shows were extremely very good.

Last I connected my laptop w/ the intent of Playing the HD files (720P and 1080i) stuff that I have been stuffing into my DVD +/-R .. It sure looked very good and detailed ,  Even tho the display I bought was only 852 x480 in resolution . I think I will not be able to distinguish the difference in case compared to a HD type plasma specially since I am viewing from 6 to 8 feet minimum.

I actually was buying it as an alternate display on my PC for me to view my movies and shows from the internet.  That is why it had no composite or tuner when I configured my plasma.  . As my Dell 24" wide LCD monitor for my PC's was not very good for viewing DVD's and lower res video.. For HD my dell  excelled but DVD and lower res ,  I had to watch it in a smaller window in order for the picture not to deteriorate too bad when expanded

At the end of the day the plasma was sequestered from me and was made to replace our main TV w/c was the toshiba RPTV . no doubt it will get a lot of hours used  clocked quickly maybe 10 to 12 hrs daily....

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Sep 19, 2005 at 05:21 PM »
Is this 42"?  How much does it cost without tuner and speakers and amps?  I wouldn't need these.  TIA

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Sep 19, 2005 at 09:29 PM »
av_phile1 .... yes 42" it was 117K the way i initially configured it, w/ component input and pedestal stand only.. The amp is built in already and quite decent as I used an old set of Mission 70 speakers .

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Sep 21, 2005 at 11:27 AM »
Hi Jambam, when you said "you configured it," I presume the store is willing to have the customer have a say on what goes into the package - ala smorgasboard  ;D   Did you get this online or from a local AV shop?  Care to tell which shop?  Thanks.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Sep 21, 2005 at 11:39 AM »
Hi av_phile1 .. Sent you a Pm

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Sep 21, 2005 at 12:10 PM »
Got it, Jambam and replied.  Thanks.

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Sep 21, 2005 at 12:17 PM »
i work for a company that supplies plastic film for the glass they use on plasma TV's.they have an 85% hold on the market in asia.nothing touches the glass from start to finish.robotic hands do all the work.one very important factor is the adhesion of the plastic to the glass and of course the quality of the film itself.this is very important because of "dead pixels" are a product of bad film adhesion or quality.they are suppliers for LG,samsung and meron pa na nakalimutan ko,hehehe.wala lang some bit of info lang. ;D

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Sep 21, 2005 at 01:53 PM »
i work for a company that supplies plastic film for the glass they use on plasma TV's.they have an 85% hold on the market in asia.nothing touches the glass from start to finish.robotic hands do all the work.one very important factor is the adhesion of the plastic to the glass and of course the quality of the film itself.this is very important because of "dead pixels" are a product of bad film adhesion or quality.they are suppliers for LG,samsung and meron pa na nakalimutan ko,hehehe.wala lang some bit of info lang. ;D

Are you working overseas or here sa pinas?  Can we ask where exactly?  Thanks

Offline dagul27

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Sep 21, 2005 at 11:49 PM »
i'm based here in the U.S. and  i work for a company called Trededar Films. The glass maker we supply our film to is Corning.

Offline squatt3r

• DVD Addict
  • Advanced Micro Devices fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #50 on: Sep 28, 2005 at 04:51 PM »
mga pards,

I'm currently contemplating on buying a Plasma TV. I saw in this thread na around 100K yung Panasonic plasma TV sa pinas? Saan pong shops merong ganung price. Masyadong mahal dito sa Israel 155K yung 42" EDTV.

Offline gren

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Sep 29, 2005 at 02:02 AM »
155k is the cheapest i've seen so far, for brand new units.  you can find them here: http://pinoydvd.com/board/index.php?topic=41106.0 being sold by matzter.

i saw a 120k plasma, but its a display unit. 

i'm personally looking for cheaper pannies, or even high def panels just to compare.

Offline jdg

• Collector
  • divx addict!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Nov 06, 2005 at 07:10 PM »
saan store ba may display na hitachi plasma tv's?

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #53 on: Nov 07, 2005 at 10:23 AM »
saan store ba may display na hitachi plasma tv's?

MAtZTER sells them.  PM him, baka he has display units to show you.

From what I know, Listening Room Megamall and Listening In Style Edsa Shangri-La Mall (same owner) is an official distributor of Hitachi Plasmas.  Sila rin yung nagbebenta ng Panasonic commercial models TH-42PWD7E.  As jambam mentioned, most basic setup is P117k (although P118k ang quote nila sa akin), with only the component input blade (no speakers, no tuner, with choice of either stand or wall-mount).  If you want to save more, get a component-to-VGA cable, and use the default VGA input port for your DVD player.  Puwede, di ba?  ;D  These cables can be easily purchased in eBay for under US$10.
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2005 at 10:25 AM by paolorenzo »