Author Topic: Willow (Disney+)  (Read 1584 times)

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
Willow (Disney+)
« on: Oct 21, 2020 at 07:30 AM »
From ComingSoon.Net

Jon M. Chu Tapped to Helm Willow Series With Davis & Howard Returning

After over a year of back-and-forth word on the potential Disney+ series, it’s now been revealed that a Willow sequel series is officially in the works and has landed Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians) to helm the pilot with original star Warwick Davis and original director Ron Howard also set to return!

“Growing up in the ’80s, Willow has had a profound effect on me,” Chu said in a statement. “The story of the bravest heroes in the least likely places allowed me, an Asian-American kid growing up in a Chinese restaurant looking to go to Hollywood, to believe in the power of our own will, determination and of course, inner magic. So the fact that I get to work with my heroes from Kathleen Kennedy to Ron Howard is bigger than a dream come-true. It’s a bucket-list moment for me. Jon Kasdan and Wendy Mericle have added such groundbreaking new characters and delightful surprises to this timeless story that I can’t wait for the world to come along on this epic journey with us.”

Penned by Jonathan Kasdan (Solo: A Star Wars Story) and showrun by Kasdan and Wendy Mericle (Arrow), the series will take place years after the events of the original film and will introduce all-new characters to the enchanted realm of fairy queens and two-headed Eborsisk monsters, while also welcoming back its titular hero, Willow Ufgood, with Davis set to reprise the role.

“So many fans have asked me over the years if Willow will make a return, and now I’m thrilled to tell them that he will indeed,” Davis said in a statement. “Many have told me they grew up with Willow and that the film has influenced how they view heroism in our own world. If Willow Ufgood can represent the heroic potential in all of us, then he is a character I am extremely honored to reprise.”

In addition to directing the pilot, Chu is attached the serve as executive producer alongside Kasdan, Mericle, Howard, Lucasfillm’s Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan and Imagine Television while Roopesh Parekh and Hannah Friedman will serve as co-executive producers. Original screenwriter Bob Dolman is also set to serve as consulting producer on the series.

“It’s creatively exciting to not only revisit the world and characters first conceived by George Lucas, Bob Dolman and myself but to see it take flight in such fresh, fun and cinematic ways through the imagination of Jon Kasdan and Team Willow,” Howard said in a statement. “This isn’t a nostalgic throw-back, it’s a creative lean-forward and it’s a blast to be a part of it all.”

“This is an exciting new era for storytelling at Lucasfilm,” Kennedy said in a statement. “Jon Chu’s vision, coupled with the writing of Jon Kasdan and Wendy Mericle, is going to take Willow into new and exciting directions for the series. Reuniting Ron Howard and Warwick Davis in the world of Willow is something that they’ve both wanted to do for some time, and I couldn’t be more proud of the incredible team we’ve put together to bring this series to Disney+.”

While a production start date has yet to be announced, Willow is eyeing to return to the landscapes of Wales for shooting after filming there in the source material.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Willow (Disney+)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2020 at 02:02 PM »
‘Willow’: Erin Kellyman, Cailee Spaeny & Ellie Bamber Poised To Star In Disney+ Series

Ellie Bamber (Nocturnal Animals), Cailee Spaeny (The Craft: Legacy) and Erin Kellyman (Solo) are in negotiations for the three female leads in Willow, Disney+ and Lucasfilm’s upcoming TV series follow-up to the 1988 fantasy movie, with the film’s star Warwick Davis reprising his title role, I have learned. The new incarnation of Willow comes from Jonathan Kasdan, who wrote the pilot and serves as co-showrunner alongside Wendy Mericle; Jon M. Chu, who will direct the pilot episode; the original film’s director Ron Howard and writer Bob Dolman; as well as Lucasfilm, which produced the movie. A rep for Disney+ declined comment.

The Willow movie, written by Dolman from a story by George Lucas, starred Davis as a reluctant farmer who leads a ragtag crew on a quest to protect a special baby from a tyrannical queen who vows to destroy her.

The series, which marks Lucasfilm’s first venture into non-Star Wars storytelling since 2015, will take place years after the events of the film. It introduces all-new characters to the enchanted realm of fairy queens and two-headed Eborsisk monsters, and welcomes back its hero Willow Ufgood (Davis).

No additional details about the series’ storyline have been released. According to circulated casting information for the series, it revolves around a group on a mission to save a kidnapped prince. The members of the team include Dove (Bamber), whose backstory resembles that of Willow from the movie. Dove is an unassuming kitchen maid who proves she is the “chosen one” as she embarks on the journey. She is joined by Kit (Spaeny), the princess whose twin brother was abducted. She is destined to be a leader and ultimately the queen. Kellyman plays Jade, a servant who is Kit’s best friend and moral compass. She is on her way to becoming the best young warrior in the kingdom. Also part of the group is a guy who echoes Val Kilmer’s character in the movie. A thief and liar, he joins the quest in exchange for getting out of prison.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/willow-erin-kellyman-cailee-spaeny-ellie-bamber-star-disney-plus-series-1234609142/

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2020 at 12:50 PM »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2021 at 07:00 AM »
Jon M. Chu Steps Away From Disney Plus ‘Willow’ Sequel Series

In a statement on his social media profiles, Jon M. Chu announced today that he will no longer be directing the forthcoming “Willow” sequel series on Disney Plus.

The “Crazy Rich Asians” and “In the Heights” director is stepping away from the whimsy of George Lucas’ realm of ethereal fairy-queens, two-headed monsters and prospective sorcerer dwarves, citing production lockdowns and personal reasons as motivating factors of his decision.

“With the production schedule moving due to continued lockdowns in the UK, with a new baby coming in the summer (surprise!), the timing is just not going to work for me and my family,” Chu wrote in a post on Twitter. The director said that he was “heartbroken” and “devastated” to not be able to work with his heroes “old and new” like showrunners Jonathan Kasdan (“Solo”) and Wendy Mericle (“Arrow”), consulting producer Bob Dolman, writer of the original 1988 film, as well as executive producers Michelle Rejwan, Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy and Ron Howard, who directed the original 1988 film.

“Like a kid seeing Willow for the first time in the ’80s, I will look forward to watching this magical world unfold as a very enthusiastic fan,” Chu added. “And boy do they have an adventure in store for you!”

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/john-m-chu-steps-away-from-disney-plus-willow-sequel-1234882841/

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2021 at 07:10 AM »
Tony Revolori In Talks For ‘Willow’ Series On Disney+

Spider-Man franchise’s Tony Revolori is in negotiations for a lead role opposite Ellie Bamber, Cailee Spaeny and Erin Kellyman in Willow, Disney+ and Lucasfilm’s upcoming TV series follow-up to the 1988 fantasy movie, with the film’s star Warwick Davis reprising his title role, I have learned. The new incarnation of Willow comes from Jonathan Kasdan, who wrote the pilot and serves as co-showrunner alongside Wendy Mericle; the original film’s director Ron Howard and writer Bob Dolman; as well as Lucasfilm, which produced the movie.

Reps for Disney+ and Lucasfilm declined comment.

https://deadline.com/2021/01/tony-revolori-cast-willow-series-disney-plus-1234681038/

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2021 at 07:08 AM »
'Willow': Disney+ Series Finds Its Director With 'I'm Not Okay With This' Co-Creator

Willow, the Disney+ fantasy series based on the 1988 movie, has found a new director for its pilot.

Jonathan Entwistle, known for the well-regarded series The End of the F***ing World and  I Am Not Okay With This, has been tapped to direct the pilot for the show that is set after the events of the film.

Jon M. Chu (Crazy Rich Asians) was due to direct the pilot and executive produce but announced Jan. 11 that he was stepping away due to scheduling concerns and an upcoming baby due in the summer.

Entwistle is also exec producing and now joins executive producers and co-showrunners Jonathan Kasdan (Solo: A Star Wars Story) and Wendy Mericle (Arrow). Kasdan wrote the pilot.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/willow-disney-series-finds-its-director-with-im-not-okay-with-this-co-creator-exclusive

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2021 at 07:26 AM »
‘Willow’: Stephen Woolfenden Steps In As Pilot Director After Jonathan Entwistle Exits

Willow, the Disney+ and Lucasfilm fantasy series based on the 1988 movie, has changed its pilot director for the second time.

Jonathan Entwistle, who had signed up for the job in late January, calling it “a dream come true,” left the project in April, I have learned. Entwistle replaced Jon M. Chu, who had stepped down two weeks prior citing scheduling concerns.

The production schedule for Willow was pushed, in part because of a recasting of one of the leads. As a result, Entwistle left during prep in April due to a scheduling conflict with his Apple TV+ series Hello Tomorrow, starring Billy Crudup, which is about to start production.

I hear Entwistle’s exit did not impact production. Stephen Woolfenden (Outlander), a producing director on the Willow series, stepped in to shoot the first two episodes, which now have been completed. A rep for Lucasfilm declined comment.

https://deadline.com/2021/07/willow-stephen-woolfenden-pilot-director-jonathan-entwistle-exit-1234794221/

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 10, 2021 at 07:09 AM »
James Newton Howard to Score Disney+’s Willow Series

According to Score: The Podcast, the great James Newton Howard is set to compose Disney+’s upcoming Willow TV series.

Howard takes the scoring reins of the fantasy franchise from the late, great James Horner, who composed Ron Howard’s 1989 original film. Sadly, Horner passed away in a plane accident in 2015.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1193627-james-newton-howard-to-score-disneys-willow-series

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2021 at 12:53 AM »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022 at 10:38 AM »
Teaser Trailer:

https://youtu.be/tbbveDpUZv4

Streaming November 30, 2022 on Disney+.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2022 at 08:11 AM »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2022 at 09:51 AM »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2022 at 08:52 AM »

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 15, 2022 at 10:05 AM »
"World of Willow" Featurette

https://youtu.be/XUwMKW9vYl0

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2022 at 02:04 PM »
Meet the Cast and Crew of Willow

https://youtu.be/dv2OQ-0tfRo

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2022 at 08:57 AM »
Warwick’s Journey

https://youtu.be/fuOMZkRHTHI

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2022 at 07:58 AM »
Warwick Davis and the Cast and Crew of Willow - On the green carpet for the premiere of Willow

https://youtu.be/BlW6SrSo1dY

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2023 at 09:19 AM »
"Willow: Behind The Magic" Trailer

https://youtu.be/I_l4qI0nXz8

Original documentary special debuts January 25 only on DisneyPlus.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2023 at 09:24 AM by jas »

Offline oznola

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1431
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2023 at 06:18 PM »
Not feeling this series. watched 3 episodes and di ko talaga magustuhan for some reason.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #19 on: Mar 16, 2023 at 05:58 AM »
We deserve better.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 20, 2023 at 09:11 AM »
Willow Showrunner Issues Statement Disputing Cancellation, Hopes for Season 2

Following the news that Disney+ would not be renewing Willow for a second season, the series’ showrunner Jon Kasdan has taken to social media to correct reports and express hope for the future.

In a lengthy statement on his Twitter profile, Kasdan acknowledged that the series would not be moving forward with a second season at the moment, but did not say the series was canceled.

Kasdan goes on to mention that despite news of the show being canceled, he has already developed and written the scripts necessary for a second season, what he calls “Volume II” of Willow. However, Kasdan doesn’t know when or if a second season will come, but he is confident that the series will continue sometime in the future, and said that Volume II is “a brain-meltingly fun, richer, darker and better” story for fans.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1274813-willow-showrunner-issues-statement-cancellation

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #21 on: Mar 20, 2023 at 05:02 PM »
I'm one of the rare ones who like this show. It's fun.