Author Topic: The Last of Us (HBO)  (Read 7881 times)

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 255
Re: The Last of Us (HBO)
« Reply #120 on: Mar 09, 2023 at 08:42 AM »
^^It's only bothersome to those who've played the game and want the show to be as close as possible to the game. 

For the rest of the viewers, the racial diversity isn't a big deal.

The opposite is true for the non-binary relationships / LGBTQ+ parts of the show. Gamers accept it as it is canon but many viewers were probably not ready to see it in a post-apocalytic "zombie" series.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Koolkat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Kawaiii!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #121 on: Mar 09, 2023 at 10:55 AM »
True. TV and videogames are a visual medium. We tend to judge what we see. Yes, Pedro is chilean, but he looks  really similar to Joel. I just never mentioned it, but Im actually not into Bella Ramsey's look as Ellie. Acting? Great!. But it just feels a bit jarring to see her as Ellie. I guess it's really not about the race. Its more about the looks.
« Last Edit: Mar 09, 2023 at 11:00 AM by Koolkat »
SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #122 on: Mar 09, 2023 at 02:21 PM »
Diversity and Inclusion is okay as long is it is integral to the story. With Last of Us, they can easily take out Episode 3 and 7 without missing a beat and these are just filler episodes. Can you imagine that, instead of having episode 7, you have instead the hotel basement scene? That said, I did love episode 3 and I don't think it would make as much impact if it was a heterosexual relationship probably because we've seen this scene a million times.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 357
« Reply #123 on: Mar 09, 2023 at 05:47 PM »
^ IMO Ep. 3 was integral to the series ......... the Bill's town portion of the game was always Joel's target to obtain transportation to get to Wyoming.

Same here, loved the way that they expanded Bill and Frank's story, turned out to be a highlight of this season.

But I can see the scenario wherein there was no Bill & Frank gay love story - just proceed with the game script which would have made for a tense ending, Ellie first time maneuvering/driving a car, while Joel and Bill jumpstart it as infected attack ......... more than a few had some small complaints about the loss of the comedic encounters between Ellie and Bill.

The game itself was near perfect (some Ellie mechanics to complain about since 2013), but the script/story was flawless.

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #124 on: Mar 09, 2023 at 06:29 PM »
I only played the game 2021 when I got a PS5 and I didn't like the game at all. I'm sure I'm a minority (played uncharted after and didn't like it as well), but I kept comparing to Days Gone and while the story in Last of Us was so much better, the dated gameplay made me just breeze through to try and finish the game as fast as possible. The HBO series is fantastic though and I'll just wait for season 2/3 instead of playing part 2.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #125 on: Mar 09, 2023 at 11:50 PM »
I can already tell just by the crowd here you'll all ABSOLUTELY LOVE season 2.

Offline Wiggum

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 338
« Reply #126 on: Mar 13, 2023 at 07:52 PM »
Inside Episode 9 - “Look For The Light”

https://youtu.be/hLgjj8yWoUE

All I can say is.. wow. I’m glad I wasn’t familiar with the game and had no prior info about the storyline. It made watching each episode more compelling and satisfying.

I’m going to miss this weekly viewing experience. It’ll probably take at least a year or so before Season 2 begins airing.
We deserve better.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Mar 13, 2023 at 09:16 PM »
^ I'm happy for those not familiar with the two games - you get to experience this wonderfully brilliant and sad story for the first time.

Yes, it's probably going to take more than a year for season 2, for many reasons e.g. time difference between the 2 parts

I do hope that Bella Ramsey grows an inch or two - for a more believable and matured Ellie, come season 2. 

Offline Disharmony

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #128 on: Mar 13, 2023 at 11:03 PM »
I do hope that Bella Ramsey grows an inch or two - for a more believable and matured Ellie, come season 2.

Don't think that's going to happen considering she's turning 20 in a few months, and girls stop growing at around 15.

They're also not recasting her despite the time jump. Kaitlyn Dever would make for an "older" Ellie pa naman, and she doesn't look old despite her age.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Mar 14, 2023 at 06:28 AM »
Yes, I know she's 19 na ....... a bit hard to imagine a TLOU2 terminator Ellie, being this cute and small-ish Bella Ramsey.

Wow, Kaitlyn Dever sure has that older Ellie look ........ I also recall an earlier article, suggesting Emma Watson play the older Ellie.

I won't mind if Mazin/Druckmann takes their sweet time (1-2 years) before unveiling TLOU2 ......... baka ipag growth balls nila si Bella.   ;D

Offline jjjeronimo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1203
« Reply #130 on: Mar 14, 2023 at 11:20 AM »
Sinanay lang tayo na younger roles ang binibigay sa kanya.  I'm sure with a little Hollywood magic, they can make her appear older (and taller  ;D).  She's good, so I want to see what she can do with the role.

Having finished the first season, I'm glad I haven't played the game, but I do want to play it now.  :)

Offline JeromeA

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I am not in danger, I am the Danger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 304
« Reply #131 on: Mar 14, 2023 at 12:14 PM »
Sinanay lang tayo na younger roles ang binibigay sa kanya.  I'm sure with a little Hollywood magic, they can make her appear older (and taller  ;D).  She's good, so I want to see what she can do with the role.

Having finished the first season, I'm glad I haven't played the game, but I do want to play it now.  :)

you should sir.. maganda ang adaptation. natuwa din ako sa sniper scene, ganyan na ganyan. hahaha

Offline jjjeronimo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1203
« Reply #132 on: Mar 14, 2023 at 01:18 PM »
Interestingly,  I thought the mother (apparently played by the original Ellie voice actor from the game), did resemble Bella in some of the shots.

Offline newwaveboy

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Mar 14, 2023 at 02:05 PM »
Interestingly,  I thought the mother (apparently played by the original Ellie voice actor from the game), did resemble Bella in some of the shots.

Yes, some shots/angle ni Ashley Johnson, akala mo si Bella Ramsey mismo .......... a very symbolic and full-circle moment for the TLOU franchise.

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Mar 14, 2023 at 04:48 PM »
For those wondering, the time jump between The Last of Us Part 1 and The Last of Us Part 2 video games is approximately 5 years. Ellie started her adventure with you when she was 14 and Part 2 has you playing her at 19.

I wouldn't be surprised if season 2 releases by 2025. But HBO must know they have a hot property and should release sooner than later (maybe mid-to-late 2024?). Also, it's looking likely season 2 would either be split into 2 parts, or encompass a season 2 to season 3 story arc because The Last of Us Part 2 is about 3x the size of Part 1 in terms of story.

I'm not worried about Bella Ramsey looking like a child. She can pull off looking older based on some of the other TV show clips people keep posting on Twitter. She looks VERY different.
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2023 at 04:49 PM by Dan »

Offline Dan

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Mar 14, 2023 at 04:54 PM »

There's a cameo that many people missed, and rightfully so because she was wearing a mask and you had to spot her name in the end-credits.

One of the nurses (the one on the left of the screen) is played by Laura Bailey who performed a major character in The Last of Us Part 2.

The significance of Bailey's presence in that specific scene is a huge wink to those who've played the game.

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+425)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1225
« Reply #136 on: Mar 14, 2023 at 04:58 PM »
Also, it's looking likely season 2 would either be split into 2 parts, or encompass a season 2 to season 3 story arc because The Last of Us Part 2 is about 3x the size of Part 1 in terms of story.

The Last of Us Part II Will Be Split Up into Multiple Seasons on HBO

The Last of Us Part II is roughly twice the length as its predecessor, and it appears that will also be the case for the HBO Max adaptation. According to the show’s co-creators, that sequel will span over more than one season.

https://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/1273541-the-last-of-us-part-ii-season-2-hbo-max-multiple-split

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Mar 15, 2023 at 06:47 AM »
‘The Last Of Us: The Complete First Season’ Home Video Release Announced

HBO and Warner Bros have officially announced the physical Blu-ray, DVD, and 4K Ultra HD release of The Last of Us: The Complete First Season on July 18 (SRP $44.98, $39.99, and $49.99 respectively), with the Digital version expected to drop on April 11.

The package will include all 9 episodes, along with three hours worth of extras. Among them are four Getting to Know Me featurettes, two The Last Debrief with Troy Baker featurettes, two Is This a The Last of Us Line? featurettes, nine Inside the Episode featurettes, and a pair of featurettes that are exclusive to the disc including The Last of Us: Stranger Than Fiction and Controllers Down: Adapting The Last of Us.

We deserve better.

Offline Wiggum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Mar 20, 2023 at 09:29 PM »
A 30-minute documentary on the making of TLOU is now available to stream on HBO Go:

https://hboasia.page.link/W8uEwBmjpZG1d1k16
We deserve better.

Offline Disharmony

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #140 on: Jul 14, 2023 at 11:55 AM »
It's one of the best episodes of the season. It's no wonder it got nominated.

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Oct 07, 2023 at 01:45 PM »
"Making of The Last of Us" Feature

https://youtu.be/THZwZti2jvo?si=SGnhs5J14TjxkU1F

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Nov 02, 2023 at 11:59 PM »
‘The Last of Us’ Season 2 Expected to Enter Production in Early 2024

“The Last of Us” Season 2 will enter production in early 2024, announced HBO boss Casey Bloys at a press conference Thursday morning.

The CEO noted that the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes had delayed production of the hit show’s sophomore season. “The Last of Us” was not on the network’s 2024 slate presentation, meaning it could land in 2025 at the earliest.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/the-last-of-us-season-2-production-1235773579/

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Jan 10, 2024 at 07:25 AM »
‘Last of Us’ Season 2 Casts Kaitlyn Dever as Abby

“The Last of Us” Season 2 has officially cast Kaitlyn Dever, Variety has learned.

Dever joins the hit HBO show in the role of Abby, who is described as “a skilled soldier whose black-and-white view of the world is challenged as she seeks vengeance for those she loved.”

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/last-of-us-season-2-cast-kaitlyn-dever-abby-1235866127/

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Jan 11, 2024 at 08:38 AM »
‘Last of Us’ Season 2 Casts ‘Beef’ Star Young Mazino as Jesse

“The Last of Us” Season 2 is continuing to build out its cast. Young Mazino is now the latest actor to join the hit HBO series, Variety has learned.

Mazino will appear in Season 2 as Jesse, said to be “a pillar of his community who puts everyone else’s needs before his own, sometimes at terrible cost.”

Mazino is best known for his role in the critically-acclaimed Netflix limited series “Beef,” in which he starred as Paul, the younger brother of Steven Yeun’s character. His work in the series earned him an Emmy nomination for best supporting actor in a limited or anthology series or movie. His other TV roles include appearances in shows like “Blue Bloods,” “Prodigal Son,” and “New Amsterdam.”

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/last-of-us-season-2-cast-young-mazino-jesse-1235866961/

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #145 on: Jan 12, 2024 at 07:34 AM »
‘Last of Us’ Season 2 Casts Isabela Merced as Dina

“The Last of Us” has found its Dina, with Isabela Merced joining Season 2 of the hit HBO series.

“Dina is warm, brilliant, wild, funny, moral, dangerous and instantly lovable,” said series co-creators Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann. “You can search forever for an actor who effortlessly embodies all of those things, or you can find Isabela Merced right away. We couldn’t be prouder to have her join our family.”

Merced is now the third new cast member announced in recent days, joining Kaitlyn Dever as well as “Beef” star Young Mazino.

Dina is described as “a free-wheeling spirit whose devotion to Ellie will be tested by the brutality of the world they inhabit.”

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/last-of-us-season-2-cast-isabela-merced-dina-1235868899/

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Feb 04, 2024 at 11:40 PM »
The Last of Us Season 2 Cast Adds Catherine O’Hara

Iconic Canadian actress Catherine O’Hara has signed on to join the cast of HBO‘s The Last of Us Season 2.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Schitt’s Creek star has joined the upcoming season of the acclaimed video game adaptation in a currently unknown role.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/catherine-ohara-last-of-us-season-2-1235813621/

Offline jas

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Mar 02, 2024 at 08:11 AM »
‘Last of Us’ Season 2 Casts Danny Ramirez, Tati Gabrielle, Ariela Barer, Spencer Lord

“The Last of Us” Season 2 has added four new cast members, Variety has learned.

Danny Ramirez (“Top Gun: Maverick,” “The Falcon and the Winter Soldier”), Ariela Barer (“How to Blow Up a Pipeline,” “Runaways”), Tati Gabrielle (“You,” “Chilling Adventures of Sabrina”), and Spencer Lord (“Riverdale,” “Family Law”) have all joined the hit HBO series’ second season.

Ramirez will play Manny, described as “a loyal soldier whose sunny outlook belies the pain of old wounds and a fear that he will fail his friends when they need him most.” Barer will play Mel, said to be “a young doctor whose commitment to saving lives is challenged by the realities of war and tribalism.”

Gabrielle has been cast as Nora, “a military medic struggling to come to terms with the sins of her past.” And Lord will appear as Owen, “a gentle soul trapped in a warrior’s body, condemned to fight an enemy he refuses to hate.”

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/last-of-us-season-2-cast-manny-danny-ramirez-mel-owen-1235927601/