Author Topic: alternatives to using speaker stand spikes  (Read 549 times)

Offline mousemouse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
alternatives to using speaker stand spikes
« on: Jun 10, 2021 at 09:22 AM »
Hi, can you guys suggest alternatives to speaker stand spikes? I'm thinking of just taking one of the spikes out and bringing it to a hardware store so I can buy rubber based furniture footing with the same thread, but I was thinking that may cause bad sound? Another idea was to buy a small piece of carpet for each of the speaker stands and put it under. What do you think?

Offline radiohead

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: alternatives to using speaker stand spikes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2021 at 11:32 AM »
Why not just use speaker spike shoes? you can easily buy them in shopee or lazada.

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2021 at 11:34 AM »
What's the problem? Or are you just searching for "better" sound? For concrete/wood, i usually use the footer pads/discs, coins if you dont want to spend.  I've used rubber furniture feet and made it a bit harder to accidentally push around but at the expense of dulling the sound a tiny bit. BUt i've the best result using springs to decouple at the expense of a little bass and stability. been using this with great results for me. https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/4pcs8pcs-xssh-audiophile-shock-spikes-spring-damping-pad-hifi-audio-stand-feet-speaker-spike-audio-cd-amplifier-foot-pad-i1600626712-s6847842407.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.29.72d32e2aOaT2Wc&search=1&freeshipping=1
Obviously not suitable for those with pets or kids.

Offline simonzaide

• Trade Count: (+56)
  • DVD Guru
  • "anything is possible"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2021 at 12:29 PM »
What's the problem? Or are you just searching for "better" sound? For concrete/wood, i usually use the footer pads/discs, coins if you dont want to spend.  I've used rubber furniture feet and made it a bit harder to accidentally push around but at the expense of dulling the sound a tiny bit. BUt i've the best result using springs to decouple at the expense of a little bass and stability. been using this with great results for me. https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/4pcs8pcs-xssh-audiophile-shock-spikes-spring-damping-pad-hifi-audio-stand-feet-speaker-spike-audio-cd-amplifier-foot-pad-i1600626712-s6847842407.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.29.72d32e2aOaT2Wc&search=1&freeshipping=1

whats the maximum weight youve put on them

Offline mousemouse

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2021 at 12:30 PM »
I use spike shoes now, but just have a hard time moving the stands around when I clean my place. I need to remove the speakers and then the stands to be able to sweep under, then when I put it back the wood floor gets little scratches because I can't place the stands exactly on the shoes all at the same time. Its not a big problem, but if I can put something easier to move than spikes and shoes, I would prefer that.

Offline mousemouse

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2021 at 12:33 PM »

Thank you! i will check it out

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2021 at 01:21 PM »
whats the maximum weight youve put on them

Heaviest so far is 45lbs but I've remove 3 springs (of 7) and with 4 springs i've a 3-4mm of drop. These are like budget versions of townshends that i'm trying out to see if i like the sound.

Thank you! i will check it out

If you'll need to move it, this will be more troublesome to setup.

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2021 at 06:11 PM »
Just use 3M rubber feet, it wont compensate the height of the spikes but at least it will give it a little lift & keeps the hassles away from always hitting the correct spot of the spikes to the shoes when moving the stands around the hardwood floor.

The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline mousemouse

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jun 11, 2021 at 04:54 PM »
thanks! I will order some and see if the sound changes.