Author Topic: Newbie wants to learn about Dolby Atmos and budget other budget audio questions  (Read 486 times)

Offline athlonfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi all,

first off, I'm a newbie to this scene. Recently, my 32 inch samsung tv gave up which was connected to computer speakers (Creative T40 Series2).

fastforward, I bought a TCL Android tv (40S6800) and as part of the specs, it says it can decode dolby tracks.

I got curious and interested so I got a Samsung Q600a xp sound bar (more expensive than the tv lol).

I play movies using netflix and amazon prime with titles known to have atmos but I am unable to enable/ display the atmos setting from my soundbar which I think doesn't get enabled.

I also tried playing a file known to have dolby atmos using my laptop plugged in to the tv using HDMI but same scenario, i am unable to enable dolby atmos.

am I missing something or my setup doesn't support it?

ps: I also plan to get the SWA9100s wireless rear speaker kit for the q600a in the future.

Offline Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
^can you try this connection. Laptop -> sound bar (in/out) -> TV (in/out)

Offline athlonfan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Going back to this - I was able to solve the problem.

- THe problem is - the TV doesn't let the atmos/dd+ signals pass through.

I was able to verify this by attaching a laptop to the soundbar as described above by Pipo and it detected atmos without issues.

so I ended up getting a TivoStream 4k to attach it to the soundbar.

anyways, 2 weeks after I find the setup complicated with all the wires and remotes so I instead got a 50c725 tv (TCL too) which has dolby vision and atmos. It works flawlessly now.

THANKS!