Author Topic: Wrinkles on my Sony TV  (Read 585 times)

Offline balarila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Wrinkles on my Sony TV
« on: Aug 08, 2023 at 06:42 PM »
My old 60 inch TV shows a wrinkle oblong on the screen about 4” x 10”. And it is growing.

Some YouTube research points to delaminating polarizer filter. Is there a shop that can fix this? Am hesitant to do this myself as I am clumsy even when putting on a screen protector on my phone.
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2023 at 06:46 PM by balarila »
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.

Offline ALICE GO

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Wrinkles on my Sony TV
« Reply #1 on: Aug 08, 2023 at 09:32 PM »
I feel sorry for this technical plight, it seemed a hopeless cause. Is your TV a Sony plasma or LCD? The hard thing is that even if a TV technician accepts the repair job, when he goes to Raon, Quiapo to look for the parts or a working circuit board, he will find out that supplies has disappeared or practically unobtainable. My aged parents has used CRT and plasma for many years but they have come to realized lately that a smart TV works better even if it'll not lasts beyond two years, or the image doesn't have the black level of those obsoleted TV iterations. You only need to voice-command a TV nowadays and it'll do what you want....

Offline balarila

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2023 at 01:28 PM »
My TV is  probably 8 years old, a 60-inch Sony LCD. Still functions well except for the annoying wrinkle blob. Hope I can try getting it repaired first before getting a new one.
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2023 at 07:27 AM »
Im interested in the outcome of this. This is one of the most tedious repairs, unless the old one can be easily peeled off. Let alone finding a 3rd party polarizer of that size. Good luck and do tell how much the repair coat.

Offline bachwitz

• DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #4 on: Aug 11, 2023 at 12:30 PM »
What is the cause of this and how can it be prevented?

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #5 on: Aug 11, 2023 at 01:43 PM »
I dont know the case for op, but usual 'vinegar syndrome', literally smells like vinegar, on my old lcd tvs is one, non usage. And 2 panel ia stored in a humid room. I have been planning to do polarizer replacements on 2 of my working tvs with this problem pero nakkatamad simulan. You have to buy samples to  know the right phase ng polarizer then buy the full size. Never have done a repair of this sort but just thinking about it is already exhausting.