Author Topic: Your Recommended NMTs  (Read 559 times)

Offline kidlat08

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 90
Your Recommended NMTs
« on: Nov 27, 2023 at 10:23 AM »
After all the struggle and challenges in using Xiaomi Mi Box S, i am back in the market for a new NMT. Asking recommendations from the experts here on what you're currently using. Ideally it can play stored content via external storage and of course streaming contents i.e. Netflix, Prime, Apple TV, etc. Thanks in advance!

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
Re: Your Recommended NMTs
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2023 at 05:14 PM »

After all the struggle and challenges in using Xiaomi Mi Box S, i am back in the market for a new NMT. Asking recommendations from the experts here on what you're currently using. Ideally it can play stored content via external storage and of course streaming contents i.e. Netflix, Prime, Apple TV, etc. Thanks in advance!

Apple TV 4k and Nvidia Shield TV Pro

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline Pipo_1925

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2023 at 07:25 PM »
Shield TV pro.

Sent from my RMX1971 using Tapatalk

Offline at_sunset_blvd

• Trade Count: (+667)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • ReLax & ClosE YoUr EyEs, FeeL tHe tOneS
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2023 at 07:31 PM »
The NeverEnding World of Tweak'n...

Offline frequenzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • stereotype
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2023 at 11:48 PM »
Apple TV doesn’t have usb port so can’t play via external storage.

Cheapest if still available is the Skyworth Leap S1, Next is Mecool KM2+

Top is Shield TV pro

Offline CMac

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 82
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2023 at 01:49 PM »
Not a fan of apple with its closed system. You dont own an apple device, it owns you.

Offline Verbl Kint

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 258
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2023 at 03:28 PM »
Not a fan of apple with its closed system. You dont own an apple device, it owns you.
It is an ecosystem that will work for people who are within that ecosystem already. There are arguments that can be made for or against that ecosystem but it is definitely not for everyone.

As for USB content, you'd have to use a NAS (e.g. Synology) or media server to do it (i.e. Infuse). You can also try out TorrenTV as you can stream on Apple TV from your Windows, Mac, or Linux computers.

_____

There are minuses for the Shield Pro too, btw. Its processor is basically an overclocked ARM SoC from 2014 (20nm), the driver from Nvidia mitigates this but it absolutely needs an update.  In contrast, the Apple TV 4k is a 2021 chipset (5nm).

This is why I think it's best not to get a Shield now and wait for the new one to come out. Remember that the Shield TV Pro was released in 2019 and should be due a new version next year.

Sent using Tapatalk

Offline uvax

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2023 at 03:45 PM »
It's possible to use external storage with a Google Chromecast. You just have to use a Type-C usb hub with power delivery port. Not a fan of those cheap generic Chinese android boxes. Security analysts have confirmed that they come with malware pre-installed.

Offline RastaSega

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2023 at 07:00 PM »
just get the nvidia shield.

Offline sidewinder

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2023 at 06:25 PM »

Apple is far from a closed system. Do they work better if you have all apple devices? Definitely.  But it is far from closed. Many have a macbook and an android phone or an iphone with a windows system, gadgets are up to you how you set them up, apple just makes it easier or simpler if you have many apple devices but you are not locked to them. I have both an apple tv 4k and an nvidia shield and they both work connected to my NAS. Shield may be more versatile but picture quality goes to the apple tv, at least on my 65-inch oled LG TV. I use them both extensively for media purposes.