Author Topic: Shogun (Disney+)  (Read 3511 times)

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1247
Re: Shogun (Disney+)
« Reply #60 on: Apr 23, 2024 at 11:22 PM »
I have not read the book and I already forgot all about the original series, but I agree that the finale felt somewhat underwhelming. After all the drama, intrigue and expectations, we don't get a big action / war set piece. But overall, this is definitely still a very excellent mini series.

Offline khu64

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • DVD Guru
  • Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #61 on: Apr 24, 2024 at 06:48 AM »
Shogun: A guide to the hit Japanese samurai epic as its finale cuts deep

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68881283

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #62 on: Apr 24, 2024 at 07:36 AM »
I have not read the book and I already forgot all about the original series, but I agree that the finale felt somewhat underwhelming. After all the drama, intrigue and expectations, we don't get a big action / war set piece. But overall, this is definitely still a very excellent mini series.

I don’t know. I felt very much satisfied by the resolution. I found the finale quite moving.

Offline Disharmony

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #63 on: Apr 24, 2024 at 02:22 PM »
^ Agree. Kaya naman ako nanood in the first place is because it was sold as "the new Game of Thrones" with all the political maneuvering set in medieval times (sabi nga ng iba Ned Stark if he wasn't dumb lol), and it was exactly that. Heck it even has the GoT traits na everyone kahit "bit" character lang like Fuji or Omi maaalala mo. Ganda rin ng final scenes - so melancholic and satisfying.

I suppose the disappointment comes from people having the wrong expectations. Akala nila masusulit na at mapapagpag yung amag sa Dolby Atmos setup nila with the Erasmus carpet bombing cannonballs, Buntaro "John Wicking" his way into the battlefield, while Toranaga and Ishido clash swords for 35 mins na may Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki. Instead they find the Erasmus in shambles and a flash forward, lmao.

Sabi nga ni Saeki walang beauty and exciting sa warfare, and the show constantly reminds viewers that.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2024 at 07:20 PM by Disharmony »

Offline flashDB

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #64 on: Apr 24, 2024 at 02:47 PM »
one of the tv shows na maraming daldalan na you'll get hooked... just my 2c.

Offline Disharmony

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Apr 24, 2024 at 03:08 PM »
^ And to think subs pa yan so you need to be paying attention at all times, haha.

Offline Tha_Mann

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #66 on: Apr 24, 2024 at 05:56 PM »
^ And to think subs pa yan so you need to be paying attention at all times, haha.
Ako mas gusto ko nga may subtitles kasi mas naintindihan ko story, kahit english movie/series hehe.

Offline jjjeronimo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1211
« Reply #67 on: Apr 24, 2024 at 06:06 PM »
After Fallout and now Shogun, parang bigla ako walang mapanood. 🤔

Offline bachwitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Musica delenit bestiam feram
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #68 on: Apr 24, 2024 at 09:34 PM »
Underwhelming yung finale sa akin. Akala ko gagawin yung battle of sekigahara base on history. haha

Nasanay lang siguro sa GoT, lalo na yung Battle of the Bastards

Offline jas

• Trade Count: (+427)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1247
« Reply #69 on: Apr 25, 2024 at 07:06 AM »
‘Shogun’ Is Over, But What About Season 2? Creators Justin Marks and Rachel Kondo Weigh In

The FX epic just ended its 10-episode run. Will it remain a limited series, or is there more story to tell?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/shogun-finale-season-two-1235878683/

With regards to the "final battle" discussions, here are the comments from the series creators....

Toranaga tells Yabushige what’s going to happen in the future. We see a hazy version of a final battle, but we’re denied the actual battle. Was that a difficult decision at all?

MARKS: I think the book denies us this, too. And that’s what I really appreciate about the book is that you really, even turning the last page, you’re like, but what about…? And you realize it doesn’t matter if you’ve really understood what this story is trying to be. Never for a second in the writer’s room did we ever really say that we were after [a final battle]. Not because we couldn’t afford it — although we couldn’t. But because Clavell was not telling that kind of story.

KONDO: It’s that line from Toranaga: “Why is it always that the people who are so eager to go into battle are the ones who have never been in it?”
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2024 at 07:11 AM by jas »

Offline Disharmony

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Apr 25, 2024 at 02:01 PM »
^ Exactly. The series kept chiding people who are so excited to see battles. Toranaga said it, Seiki said it, Yabu plays both sides because he wants to avoid it, pati yung mga deaths were rather unglamorous. The closest thing we have to fight scenes like yung ambush sa forest, Buntaro against an army - it's dark or cuts away. Yung sa samurai guards ni Mariko, todas kaagad and most of them hindi mo nga makita how they died, it's like a blur. Toranaga's plan hinged on being Shogun with little bloodshed, and he succeeded. Kaya nga walang S2 because after the battle (which is expected to be less than epic with Ochiba withdrawing support), drama-free na mostly.

I guess this is just me na sawa na sa mga extended flashy battles and I gravitate more towards shows that are well fleshed out and novelistic. Sana makakita pa ako mga shows na ganito na malaki scale with amazing storytelling.

Offline alvinbaronsia

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Collector
  • I'm new here! Please be kind.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #71 on: Apr 25, 2024 at 02:35 PM »
+1 I think the ending was fitting; the whole series didnt have a lot of action scenes such that I wasn't expecting any big battles at the end. The Yabushige finale completes the tale for me; no need for flashy elongated slow mo scenes like Zack Snyder movies.

Offline jjjeronimo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Apr 26, 2024 at 07:46 AM »
I tried searching youtube for the ending of the original miniseries, and if I'm not mistaken, the battle of Sekigahara was not fully shown also, though it narrated what became of Ishido in the aftermath of the battle. 

Offline Tha_Mann

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 121
« Reply #73 on: Apr 26, 2024 at 09:17 AM »
I tried searching youtube for the ending of the original miniseries, and if I'm not mistaken, the battle of Sekigahara was not fully shown also, though it narrated what became of Ishido in the aftermath of the battle.
1980 pa ba yung original miniseries starring Richard Chamberlain? Eto ba yun?  I'm using Stremio, try ko watch ito.

Offline jjjeronimo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Apr 26, 2024 at 10:01 AM »
I just realized na I must have mixed up this show with another miniseries.  Kasi I remember a show where the characters are actually named Tokugawa Ieyasu and Mitsunari, and may major battle scene towards the end, presumably the Battle of Sekigahara.  All the while I thought yung original Shogun ang napanood ko, hindi pala.  Planning to watch to original version soon, as according to "purists" it is more true to the novel, having been made under the supervision of James Clavell mismo.

Also, ano kaya yung napanood ko noon?  ::)