Author Topic: Experimental Cinema of the Philippines  (Read 35978 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Experimental Cinema of the Philippines
« Reply #60 on: Apr 12, 2006 at 01:31 PM »
I haven't seen SIMPLE PLAN, but will try to compare it to MISTERYO SA TUWA. I read some very good reviews on MISTERYO that it boasts of excellent production values and groundbreaking performances of Alicia Alonzo, Ronnie Lazaro, Ama Quiambao, Lito Anzures, Tony Santos Sr. and Johnny Delgado.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2006 at 09:07 PM »
Is SOLTERO the only film done by Pio de Castro III?

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2006 at 09:35 AM »
Is SOLTERO the only film done by Pio de Castro III?

no, he also directed Ina, Kasusuklaman Ba Kita? for Seiko Films with Rita Gomez & Lorna Tolentino. an adequate komiks melodrama but not within the caliber of Kung Mahawi Man Ang Ulap and Hindi Nahahati Ang Langit... also not half as good as Soltero.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2006 at 09:37 AM »
Was he a member of the Manunuri or a film critic, Jo?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2006 at 09:39 AM »
Was he a member of the Manunuri or a film critic, Jo?

as a matter of fact he was one of the first members of the Manunuri along with founding fathers Nestor Torre & Bienvenido Lumbera.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2006 at 09:42 AM »
His name sounds familiar, saw Mr. Lumbera during Ebolusyon screening at UP Film Center.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2006 at 10:04 AM »
His name sounds familiar, saw Mr. Lumbera during Ebolusyon screening at UP Film Center.

Bien Lumbera used to rent a lot of betamax tapes from Shop & Lift, Ricky Lee's video store at Virra Mall (i won't say which titles he borrowed  ;))

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2006 at 12:58 PM »
Bien Lumbera used to rent a lot of betamax tapes from Shop & Lift, Ricky Lee's video store at Virra Mall (i won't say which titles he borrowed  ;))

Too bad that store by Ricky Lee is closed already or he sold it to other people?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2006 at 03:31 PM »
Too bad that store by Ricky Lee is closed already or he sold it to other people?

i believe he closed the store himself... it's funny though 'coz his video shop was the only one who carrrie hard to find movies most espcially the classics. it was at his store where i saw a betamax copy of Celso Ad CAstllo's Nympha.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2006 at 07:39 PM »
Celso Ad Castillo's NYMPHA was a rare find. When I browsed their catalogue Jo, I can't find anymore any Filipino classic films. Mostly foreign movies were listed.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2006 at 07:55 PM »
i think Ricky kept the tapes himself. if you've been to his house an entire wall is filled with Filipino movies not just the ones he wrote but others as well...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006 at 07:55 PM by Jojo Devera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2006 at 08:04 PM »
What happened with those other award-winning scripts under ECP before? None of them see the light of the day.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2006 at 06:44 AM »
the other scripts that won were of course Ricky Lee's Bulag which gathered dust sa shelves ng Regal and there were talks that ECP was going to film Joey Reyes' Flores de Mayo immediately after Misteryo Sa Tuwa but the project never pushed through.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2006 at 02:30 PM »
Why not Gallaga-Lee collaboration with BULAG? And its about time that dream project of Ricky Lee pushed thru.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2006 at 06:28 PM »
i'm not quite sure if Peque can work with Ricky Lee... they're two different personalities. tha problem is Gallaga worked only with Joey Reyes in Oro, T.E. Pagaspas & Uro de laCruz in Virgin Forest, Unfaithful Wife & Scorpio Nights then Lore Reyes in most of his other films oh and Alfred Yuson for Kid Huwag Kang Susuko!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2006 at 08:02 PM »
Maybe Peque still holds grudges to Ricky after he rejected ORO PLATA MATA. Or I might be wrong also, Jo. There were talks that he would reunite with Joey Reyes in a future project.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2006 at 08:16 PM »
Ricky never mentioned having problems with Ricky... Peque should work with Joey again... theirs was an exceptional collaboration just like Ishma & Ricky

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2006 at 08:21 PM »
Ricky seems to lie-low in film projects. He's connected with Abs-Cbn right now.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2006 at 08:26 PM »
i've noticed that as well... marami na siguro siyang writers nagayon.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2006 at 08:43 PM »
If ECP still operates until now, will it save Philippine Cinema from its comatose state?  ???

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2006 at 12:27 AM »
i don't think so... they gave up producing non-mainstream films and closed shop in 1985. the sorry state of Philippine cinema can only be saved if Filipino moviegoers would flock to the theaters and support outstanding Filipino films, not the trashy kind.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2006 at 07:16 AM »
Filipino moviegoers support the mainstream movies, remember STARZAN back in 1989? Believe it or not, it saved Regal Films from bankruptcy.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006 at 08:50 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2006 at 11:18 AM »
i would consider a movie like Starzan mainstream...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2006 at 08:51 PM »
My mistake, modified my post. Yeah its a mainstream Pinoy film.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jul 20, 2006 at 06:13 PM »
I was browsing last night the opening scenes of MISTERYO SA TUWA and most of the cast and crew came from Gallaga's ORO PLATA MATA. Don Escudero & Rodel Cruz did the production design, Jess Navarro for editing and Rody Lacap for cinematography.

The movie looks fantastic although no big name stars in it.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jul 23, 2006 at 09:36 AM »
here's a couple of scenes from Ishmael Bernal's Himala (Experimental Cinema Of The Philippines, 1982)

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Jul 24, 2006 at 10:35 AM »
Flashback to 1982, we were watching the MMFF awards night and most of my cousins were rooting for Vilma in HAPLOS, its 8:1 for the ratio because only one was rooting for Nora's HIMALA.

The technical awards were already given out and they were sensing already that Nora will bag the Best Actress award........Best Pic was called already and Ishmael Bernal went up to get his trophy for Best Director. They were already sour-graping......."paanong hindi mananalo yan, produced ni Imee yan!"

They all went asleep and didn't finish the awards night.  ;D

Years from now, MMFF finally hit the right spot. HIMALA is now considered a classic in Philippine Cinema.
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2006 at 10:39 AM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: MISTERYO SA TUWA by Abbo dela Cruz
« Reply #87 on: Sep 18, 2006 at 06:46 PM »
MISTERYO SA TUWA (Abbo dela Cruz)

Spoilers Alert!

This film is the best example of a one-hit wonder! From the man who chopped Lorli Villanueva's finger in ORO PLATA MATA comes this tale of greed, love for family and revenge. Money is the root of all evil. Based on actual events, MISTERYO SA TUWA boasts of excellent technical aspects and great ensemble acting of the entire cast.

A plane crashed in the mountains of Quezon in 1950. A group of noble folk were celebrating a fiesta but not a big feast but a small one. The villagers loot the baggage and all the things of the survivors of the plane crash. This is my only gripe for this film.......the villagers were treated just like primitive people who will do anything just to get something from the crash site. The central characters played by Johnny Delgado, Ronnie Lazaro and Tony Santos, Sr. found a suitcase filled with half a million pesos and a bunch of documents. They made a decision to divide the money and share it with their families. Even the other villager saw it, Lito Anzures who wants to get the suitcase full of money. To get the plot more exciting, enter Mario Taguiwalo, the town mayor who also wants to get the suitcase and made a bargain with Lito Anzures to kidnap Delgado, Lazaro & Santos to get the money. The three were tortured to death and I can't divulge anymore the ending because it would spoil the whole movie.

From the time of the opening scene, you could actually smell the lambanog drank by the noble folk in this remote village in Quezon. The crash site is so realistic also in a way that you can smell also the dead bodies of the passengers. Peque Gallaga played Mr. Murphy, the corpse who owned the suitcase. Before Tarantino's RESERVOIR DOGS hit the stratosphere, we are ahead again in terms of uh, torture scenes and its more disturbing, gripping and gruesome! The last few minutes will keep you at the edge of your seat!

Lito Anzures used a tin can slid to cut Johnny Delgado's ear. Ronnie Lazaro's fiancee, Maria Montes was molested in front of him. Anzures is menacing as the villain, Delgado, Lazaro and Tony Santos, Sr. were all convincing that whatever happened, they will stick to their decision not to give the suitcase. Great supporting cast also from Alicia Alonzo & Ama Quiambao. The musical score by Jaime Fabregas is the best musical score I've ever heard next to Jose Gentica's score in ORO. Add the perfect production design by Don Escudero & Rodell Cruz and you've got a classic film in the league of the other films produced by ECP during their time. I just don't know why the critics didn't like this movie.
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2006 at 08:15 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Sep 19, 2006 at 06:25 AM »
Misteryo Sa Tuwa was one of the entries in the 1984 MMFF. I was actually surprised that Johnny Delgado didn't win as Best Actor for his performance in this film. I guess he somehow knew that he wasn't going home with the award that's why he was a no show at the ceremony. It was Herbert Bautista who was named Best Actor for his performace or lack thereof in Shake, Rattle & Roll.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #89 on: Sep 19, 2006 at 11:18 AM »
I liked it a lot--I'm just wondering if we'll ever find proof that A Simple Plan was ripped off from this film.

I mean, that book was published in 1993