Author Topic: The 4400  (Read 2734 times)

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The 4400
« on: Jul 10, 2004 at 09:02 AM »

Saw this on IMDb. Thought it was interesting. Looks like Coppola's version of "Taken".

Other Links:

Excerpts:

Overview: (from Official Website)

From Executive Producer Francis Ford Coppola's production company, American Zoetrope, comes a haunting new limited series: THE 4400.

Over the last century, thousands of people have gone missing. Suddenly and inexplicably, 4400 missing people are returned all at once, as they were on the day they vanished. Unclear what this world altering-event means, the government investigates the 4400 to piece together where they've been and why they've been returned. It quickly becomes apparent that their presence will change the human race in ways no one could have ever foreseen

From CNN:

Full CNN Story: Taken by aliens ... then they came back
'The 4400' posits world in which alien abductees return

Friday, July 9, 2004 Posted: 2:03 PM EDT (1803 GMT)

NEW YORK (AP) -- What if?

For a science fiction program, those two words are the starting point -- and the answer tells whether the show has a future. The USA Network's new offering, "The 4400," debuts Sunday with a fairly decent response.

What if hundreds of random citizens -- 4400, to be precise -- simply reappeared years, or even decades, after they appeared to fall off the face of the earth? And what if they returned physically unchanged, but possessed of startling powers?
[/color]

« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2004 at 11:19 PM by espace »
Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline Reuven Malter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
The 4400
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2004 at 02:26 PM »
read the NY Times review. they describe the series as "it starts where Close Encounters of the Third Kind left off."
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
Re: The 4400
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2004 at 09:47 PM »
This Taken star also leads The 4400....he must be so into alien abductions to be starring in 2 mini-series about it.

The 4400 is like Xmen/Smallville/Xfiles/Taken all rolled into one.

Xmen - because the "returnees" have mysterious powers ala Xmen
Smallville - because one of them is a good looking teen who has to deal with being different in a high school environment, there's also the love triangle angle.
Xfiles - because of bleeding noses, unexplainable pregnancy, guy in the above picture works for Gov't (like Mulder) and has a woman partner who is an expert in science stuff (Scully).
Taken - because of all the drama involved.
« Last Edit: Jul 18, 2004 at 06:51 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline torque

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • break the cycle!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2004 at 06:44 AM »
I just saw the two hour premiere last week. The scene on how the 4400 return to Earth was really amazing.  From outer space a comet appeared and and threatens to end the world. Nations launch their missiles to stop the comet but nothing happen. When the comet was already a meter away from hitting the Earth it turned into a glass-like ball of light then in a flash the 4400 appeared  8).
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2004 at 06:59 AM by torque »

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2004 at 11:38 PM »
Intelligent life up there? Wait 20 years
By Michael Kanellos, CNET News.com

Monday, July 26 2004 10:45 AM

We should be able to determine whether there is intelligent life in our galaxy in about two decades, thanks to the relentless pace of Moore's Law, a researcher says.

Seth Shostak, the senior astronomer at the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI) Institute in Mountain View, Calif., has calculated that the rate of improvement of radio telescopes will enable astronomers to detect radio signals from other civilizations in the galaxy, assuming that they are out there, by 2025.

"We're not very far from success or not," he said. "This is an experiment that may not be generations away." 

The calculation largely comes from the interaction of known quantities about the galaxy, the rate of technological progress, and assumptions about alleged life on other planets.

The galaxy measures approximately 100,000 light years across, Shostak said. Radio telescopes, meanwhile, double in performance approximately every 18 months. This is a result of Moore's Law, which states that the number of transistors on a chip doubles about every 24 months.

As a result of the continuing performance improvement, scientists will be capable of scanning more of our neighborhood in the universe for radio signals--at an increasingly faster rate. Using the needle-in-a-haystack analogy, these two numbers enable scientists to determine the size of the haystack and the rate at which we can sift through the hay.

The unknown question is how many intelligent, radio-transmitting civilizations are out there. Noted Astronomer Frank Drake calculated that about 10,000 could exist in our galaxy. Carl Sagan and others have put that number in the millions.

Using the conservative Drake figures, Shostak estimated that we could come across an alien signal in 2025. Many have said Moore's Law could begin to slow down over the next two decades, but most believe that computing power will continue to progress.

Under Drake's figures, intelligent civilizations should be about 1,000 light years apart, assuming that such civilizations exist.

"It is a prediction based on assumptions," he said. "How many planets like Earth are out there?" But much of SETI's work is largely based on similar assumptions.

Closer to home, the effort will also require funding. The Allen Telescope Array, being partly funded by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen, will begin to scan the galaxy this fall. It will have 32 antennas. There are plans to expand it to 350 antennas, but that will require about US$10 million.

Astra Astronautica plans to publish a full paper on this theory Monday.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2004 at 12:52 AM »
This is coming soon on AXN.

Probably replacing "Kingdom Hospital"?
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 10:27 AM »
I saw the plugs on AXN in Tagalog, thought they were gonna air a dubbed version. :D

Offline espace

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • DVD Addict
  • Liked:
The 4400
« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 06:52 PM »

The 4400 on AXN

Thursday Nights at 9PM beginning December 2, 2004

8)
[/color][/size]
Your attitude is your life.
Maximize your options.
Never take anything too seriously.

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 08:19 PM »

The 4400 on AXN

Thursday Nights at 9PM beginning December 2, 2004

8)
[/color][/size]

Tomorrow na to. I loved the X-Files and followed Taken. I hope this is good. The pilot episode looks promising.

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 12:19 AM »
Caught the replay of the first episode--very nice.

Interesting that AXN chose to replace this with Kingdom Hospital--that show's theme song ("Worry About You" by Ivy) was also heard in the last 10 minutes of the first episode.  ;D

Offline scully

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 10:34 AM »
Waited for the replay last night. Looks very, very promising. How many episodes total ba ito?

It took me awhile to figure out who he is but H!ITG Michael Moriarty!  ;D  Love ko sha sobra sa Law and Order before eh. Wala lang. Heh.
Amor Fati

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 12:05 PM »
Waited for the replay last night. Looks very, very promising. How many episodes total ba ito?

The first season has 5 episodes. DVD set available on December 21, 2004.

More news:

Los Angeles, CA, October 20, 2004 - USA Network has ordered thirteen one-hour episodes of the highly-rated and critically-acclaimed hit series The 4400. The announcement was made today by Jeff Wachtel, USA's executive vice president, original programming. The series will return to USA Network in June 2005. Production is scheduled to begin in Vancouver in February. The series is produced by Paramount Network Television in association with American Zoetrope and Renegade 83.

Offline vinta18

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 09:11 PM »
This show is badly written. The reactions of the people re: the returnees are just wrong. Like that guy who was angry for the fake concert tickets sold to him by the kid who disappeared. How deep a grudge does one have to bear in order to remain angry at someone who disappeared for two years for some lousy tickets? 

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2004 at 02:07 PM »
I guess it's not for everyone. I rather enjoyed it and found it well-written as a whole, though.

I just finished the series on DVD. Too many hanging plotlines! What if it didn't get renewed for a second season? That would've sucked. Well, at least some storylines had resolutions. I didn't see "the final explanation" coming. Nice one.

It's gonna be a long wait until June!

Offline scully

• Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2004 at 01:01 PM »
June? Aik  :P

I'm already a little bored with Lily & Richard's story but I plan to watch the rest pa rin. Also, H!ITG Steve from SATC :)
Amor Fati

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 06:36 PM »
I just found out that this wasn't shot on film, but on high definition video.

Amazing! I really can't tell what's shot-on-film anymore.
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2004 at 07:49 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #16 on: Jan 01, 2005 at 10:04 AM »
Caught the second to the last episode of the season the other day. The "ripple effect" stuff reminds me of Asimov's Foundation. I'm interested to see where this goes. I just hope they don't take too long.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2005 at 08:18 AM »
AXN will be airing the entire series this Saturday, February 12th, from 12NN-6PM.

In case anyone wants to watch/record it.

Offline scully

• Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2005 at 09:01 PM »
Thanks for posting it, Mr H  ;D  I missed the last ep coz of work.
Amor Fati

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2005 at 03:54 PM »
AXN will be airing the new season of The 4400 on January 2006; they've been constantly airing previews of it recently.

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #20 on: Dec 31, 2005 at 01:17 PM »
season 1 just started early dec on AXN... and season 2 is already scheduled for January 9  ::)  does that mean that they'll stop airing season 1 on jan?  :(  i haven't watched the full season yet   :(

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 31, 2005 at 09:33 PM »
Don't worry, there were only 5 episodes for season 1. It'll end before season 2 starts.  ;)

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 05:51 AM »
Just finished watching the first season and the second season premiere. Never warmed up to the show when it first aired. Finally did. This is good enough until the regular run of NBC's Heroes. Anyone watching season three? Does it get better? Or is it reaching Alias-like incredulities?

Offline pchin

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HD-Men
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #23 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 11:17 AM »
I completed watching both season 1 & 2...I quite enjoy the series but my wife find it a bit dragging :)
Hope to pick up season 3 soon. Amazon's release date is May 8, 2007.

Yeah, anyone watched season 3 na? Does it get any better?  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2007 at 11:18 AM by pchin »

Offline sardaukar

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Don't Panic!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Apr 14, 2007 at 01:30 PM »
I really like this show and season 3 adds a lot to what was already revealed in seasons 1 & 2. Which is more than I can say for some other shows (I'm looking at you Lost!). I think it's benefitting from the fact that their season isn't 22 episodes long. I can't wait for season 4. That said, if your wife didn't like the first 2, then I don't think this show is really for her.  :)
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2007 at 02:23 PM by sardaukar »