Author Topic: Different types of DVD packaging  (Read 2670 times)

Offline cherubrock

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Different types of DVD packaging
« on: Jul 16, 2004 at 01:13 AM »
I recently got confused with the different types of packaging used for DVD, and want to confirm if what I know is in fact true or not. Please correct me if I'm wrong guys, your collective expertise would be highly appreciated  :)

1. Keep cases are the black ones we're all familiar with, and Amaray is a brand name of keep cases. They may also come in various other colors
2. Digipak and Gateway are synonymous, constructed out of (recycled?) paper (but are they brand names?)
3. A slip case goes over a keep case vertically, as in the case of The Lion King Platinum Ed.
4. The outer box cover of Fight Club SE is not called a slip case (but what do you call it then?)
5. DVD jewel cases are similar in execution to the ones commonly used for audio CDs, but with different dimensions to differentiate one from the other.

I tried looking for a similar topic with the search function but found none. If I missed it then mods, kindly merge with the existing topic, thanks  ;D Any additional info would be truly helpful and informative.

Offline xage

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
Re: Different types of DVD packaging
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2007 at 02:50 PM »
I guess its been a while this single post topic idle. I'm resurrecting for the mere fact that now-a-days there is a rise of new standard packaging in the DVD world and these are "Steelbooks" & "Viva Metal Cases" (Right timing also for the first R3 Philippines Steelbook-WB's The Departed).

Both looked similar (like the ones before were Amaray Case and Alpha Case were thought to be the same)

Anyways... Here is an example photo differences between A Steelbook and Viva Metal Case

No one noticed it until I shared it in most DVD forums.. overall.. all thought that it was only "Steelbook" but reality is the term steelbook is now a branded generic name for this new DVD casing

Steelbook VS VIVA Metal Box

Steelbook Sample: Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Viva Metal Box: Dune

Front / Back of the DVD Packaging
- Steelbook has a smooth surface
- Viva Metal Box carries embossed layers and art

Spine and Side of the DVD Packaging

Inner Packaging
- Steelbook has a transparent inner plastic holder
- Viva Metal Box has a greyish metallic inner plastic holder

* Please take note of the arrow drawing as it points out where to locate the Steelbook and VIVA trademarks in the DVD inner packaging

[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2007 at 01:52 PM »
Great observation, Xage!

Agree on all points but the first one needs revision. Duel Steelbook R2 Release has an embossed artwork and has a frame-like relief similar to Viva releases. Similar to all steelbooks though, the texture is matte.

8)
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2007 at 02:08 PM by hemisphere »

Offline RadicalDude

• DVD Guru
  • Bluer than Blu-Ray!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2007 at 09:01 PM »
This is very informative.
The sun itself sees not 'til heaven clears.

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2007 at 07:28 PM »
Another Steelbook with embossed artwork---Boondock Saints, Region 1.

8)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007 at 02:11 PM »
Now this????

1st hand look of the Ichi The Killer Blood Packaging:

Probably the most "Non-user friendly" Packaging of all time.

I highly doubt that this will not take  long and be pulled out and get recalled due to safety issues.

Believe me its not safe opening this DVD. The main reason is the plastic/packaging Clinging.. Its hard to remove the bloodbag and also the DVDs inside.

Anyways here are four 1st hand look of an opened ichi the killer (took 10minutes in the making - whew.. this is the hardest DVD I opened to still look like "new" condition)

Offline hemisphere

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • On the Lot!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jun 02, 2007 at 03:29 PM »
Prone to scratches, i think Master Xage.

Looks nice though.

8)

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008 at 01:20 PM »
I guess its been a while this single post topic idle. I'm resurrecting for the mere fact that now-a-days there is a rise of new standard packaging in the DVD world and these are "Steelbooks" & "Viva Metal Cases" (Right timing also for the first R3 Philippines Steelbook-WB's The Departed).

A year after.. it seems that this packaging slowly climbing up in demand to most DVD collectors and a boost up sales marketing to DVD distributors.

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008 at 02:25 PM »
Marketeers have to find ways to extend the lifespan of the DVD product lifesycle.  Introducing new packaging is the easiest.   As far as the studios as concerned, the DVD is really just an interim format that's nearing the end of its lifecycle.  And at their current prices, profit margins are almost nil. Especially with the pirates eating the mass markets.(at least in 3rd world countries) They are hinging on the new HD format to start a new product lifescyle and start anew their large profit margins without competition from the pirates.  At least not within the next 5 years.