Author Topic: Is anyone familiar with BenQ ?  (Read 3919 times)

Offline psychodreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • +Live+
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is anyone familiar with BenQ ?
« on: Jul 23, 2004 at 04:34 PM »
Hello!  Is anyone familiar with BenQ plasma/lcd screens?  Are they good enough to match with the top players? Thanks! :)
Lines cut across my face...

Offline alfa

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
Re: Is anyone familiar with BenQ ?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2004 at 08:15 AM »
Benq is the in house brand of Acer. According to my friend who went to Taiwan parang Jollibee daw doon and presence ng Benq. Signages everywhere perhaps because its a homegrown brand. So if okay sa iyo ang acer brand okay na rin dapat ang Benq

Oh yes, he might be wrong but in taiwan daw a 32 or 42(dont rememeber) LCD TV is equivalent to Php50k

Offline nvektus

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • audio.video.disco
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2004 at 01:57 AM »
i have a 17" lcd pc monitor... great monitor!!

Offline sillyputty

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2004 at 11:07 PM »
30" widescreen lcd tv selling at 2.5ksgd hehehehe

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Self Made Young Millionaire
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 01:08 PM »
I just want to bump this thread since I don't want to make a new thread for the same thread title. ;)

Calling on allenwfc, paolorenzo, mario128, GS:
Are you guys familiar with benQ vh3745? What are your pros/cons on this HDTV, by the way, its already full HD (1080p capable) and it's sold for 100k!!

TIA!
« Last Edit: Apr 21, 2007 at 01:13 PM by Fait »

Offline allenwfc

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 04:45 PM »
I just want to bump this thread since I don't want to make a new thread for the same thread title. ;)

Calling on allenwfc, paolorenzo, mario128, GS:
Are you guys familiar with benQ vh3745? What are your pros/cons on this HDTV, by the way, its already full HD (1080p capable) and it's sold for 100k!!

TIA!

benq is fairly decent in taiwan.
im using a diff. comp now so i cant, read the chinese specs, but if it has hdmi then i would consider a fair unit.

i cant say if the color/image quality of the panel though since, i havent seen it. i've seen the old model, and its got decent quality for a none major eletronic appliance brand.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you did anything at all..." - God, from the Simpsons

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 04:58 PM »
di ako familiar masyado.  But if I'm not mistaken, they've entered into a joint venture with Siemens.  Maybe that's a good indication of the company's standing.  Siemens is highly reputable, and I'm sure they've done their homework, prior to joining forces.

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 05:46 PM »
Thanksie :)

Im just attracted with it's 1080p capability.

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 09:58 PM »
may question lang ako about sa 1080p.. kung yung player mo ay kaya nya ang 1080p pero yung display mo hindi..so meaning sa display hindi nya ma-output ang 1080p?

Offline el-el

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2007 at 10:24 PM »
may question lang ako about sa 1080p.. kung yung player mo ay kaya nya ang 1080p pero yung display mo hindi..so meaning sa display hindi nya ma-output ang 1080p?

If your display can accept 1080p, but cannot display 1080p, then the signal will be downscaled to 720p or 1080i.

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Apr 22, 2007 at 12:03 AM »
ahh okay...another question..dapat po ba ang resolution is 1929x1080 para makapag display ito ng 1080p? salamat po ulit..

Offline el-el

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2007 at 02:20 AM »
ahh okay...another question..dapat po ba ang resolution is 1929x1080 para makapag display ito ng 1080p? salamat po ulit..

yun na nga po yun.... 1920x1080p = progressive, 1920x1080i - interlaced.

Offline keema

• DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 04:49 PM »

may tanong ulit ako...may nakita ako sa specs ng isang lcd ang resolution nya is 1366x786 pero nagsusupport ito ng up to HD1080p input. ibig sabihin po ba nito magdidisplay sya ng 1080p or hindi? thanks ulit..

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 06:26 PM »
Hindi.

Sir el-el already answered that correctly:

If your display can accept 1080p, but cannot display 1080p, then the signal will be downscaled to 720p or 1080i.

Let's start with the basic premise:

LCD is a fixed pixel display device.  If the panel's resolution is 1366 x 786, that is the number of pixels that the panel has.  It cannot increase, it cannot decrease.  This is also referred to as the panel's native resolution.

This is what is confusing to those shifting from CRT to LCD.

CRT is not a fixed pixel display device, but LCD is.  In fact, CRT is unique because it is the only display device that is not fixed pixel.  CRT resolution is measured in scan lines, not pixels.

=================================================

Now that we have that out of the way, the concept will be easier to understand.

If the LCD panel's resolution is 1366 x 786 pixels, it will ALWAYS display 1366 x 786 pixels.  All signals reaching the panel will be converted by the panel's software to 1366 x 786 pixels.

A DVD signal upconverted to 720p is still not the same as the panel's 786p resolution. The panel will further scale the signal to 1366 x 786 because any resolution other than the panel's native resolution cannot be displayed by the panel until after it is scaled to its exact resolution.

may tanong ulit ako...may nakita ako sa specs ng isang lcd ang resolution nya is 1366x786 pero nagsusupport ito ng up to HD1080p input. ibig sabihin po ba nito magdidisplay sya ng 1080p or hindi? thanks ulit..

The LCD panel will always display 1366 x 786 pixels.  If fed a 1080p signal, the panel will downconvert the signal to its native resolution.
« Last Edit: Feb 05, 2009 at 12:30 AM by barrister »

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Apr 23, 2007 at 08:21 PM »
Quote from: barrister
If the LCD panel's resolution is 1366 x 786 pixels, it will ALWAYS display 1366 x 786 pixels.  All signals reaching the panel will be converted by the panel's software to 1366 x 786 pixels.
@barrister:

Sir question, I used to own a Samsung S71 before and using it with a DVI-VGA cable as a primary monitor, it gave me a resolution of 1366x768 only but when I used my DVI - HDMI cable, my resolution settings increased upto 1920x1080 (or even more) but using the max resolution will give you ghosting especially when moving the mouse cursor. Do you have any idea why did that happen and what will happen if I sticked to the 1920x1080 resolution knowing my required resolution only is 1366x768?
« Last Edit: Apr 23, 2007 at 09:14 PM by Fait »

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 01:57 PM »
Sir question, I used to own a Samsung S71 before and using it with a DVI-VGA cable as a primary monitor, it gave me a resolution of 1366x768 only but when I used my DVI - HDMI cable, my resolution settings increased upto 1920x1080 (or even more) but using the max resolution will give you ghosting especially when moving the mouse cursor. Do you have any idea why did that happen and what will happen if I sticked to the 1920x1080 resolution knowing my required resolution only is 1366x768?

Before flat panel TVs became commonplace, the old concept for flat panel TVs was that a higher resolution would always be better than a lower resolution. 

Now that more owners have actually seen the result, the new concept is that a higher resolution would not necessarily produce a better picture; it will depend on how the signal is handled by the components used.

The different resolution capabilities of your former TV depended on the resolutions supported by the TV's internal scaler.  No support, no display.  It just so happened that the TV supported higher resolutions via HDMI connection. 

Now, using a 1920 x 1080 setting via HDMI, would the picture be better on a TV with a 1366 x 768 native resolution?

Not necessarily.  There's just no way to determine in advance how the TV's scaler will handle the signal, considering that the TV manufacturers don't publish how their scalers are actually processing the different video input signals.  It's probably a trade secret, so we might never know. 

The only way to know if a higher rez signal will produce a better image would be by actually testing the input signal and eyeballing the resulting image.  In your case, you already gave the 1080 signal an eyeball test and determined that the picture is actually worse with a 1080 signal because the scaler produces ghosting artifacts on small moving objects.

Why so?  The panel's scaler is not doing a good job of converting the 1080 input to its native resolution.  A good rule of thumb would be to feed the panel a resolution closest to its own native resolution.  But this is not an absolute rule.  Again, it depends on how the panel's scaler handles the input, and the only way to know which is better is by actually testing and comparing for yourself.

... what will happen if I sticked to the 1920x1080 resolution knowing my required resolution only is 1366x768?

OK lang.  The panel supports a 1920 x 1080 input, so walang problema.  You just get the motion artifacts, pero walang masisira.   
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2007 at 02:20 PM by barrister »

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 24, 2007 at 08:41 PM »
Very well said sir barrister.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Apr 28, 2007 at 12:59 PM »
Benq 32" 1080p LCD in Taipei price start from 22,000NT (multiply by 1.475).

So if you are brave enough to bring a newly bought BenQ LCd in Taiwan to PH and have a great luck not to have it tax in the PH customs... you'll get it really cheap.

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jun 04, 2007 at 11:37 PM »

TIA!
Price drop on this model, now for 85k with 3 years warranty... hmmm!!

Offline Fait

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2007 at 12:46 AM by Fait »