Author Topic: Buffy The Vampire Slayer  (Read 31785 times)

Offline kings5504

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:The Bronze, The Buffy the Vampire Slayer Thread
« Reply #120 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 10:39 PM »
An ongoing Faith: The Vampire Slayer series?

Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my mouth...   ;D
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
« Reply #121 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 10:50 PM »
Uh...before this gets out of hand, lemme make one thing clear: there is no Faith series being planned! Joss Whedon wants to have Eliza Dushku back for season 7, but everything's under negotiation pa.

Actually, rumor has it that if Sarah doesn't renew her contract for season 8, they might still continue the series. Joss says that they have a rich history in the Buffyverse on which to draw the Sarah-less series on. Hopefully, and I'm apparently not alone in this, it would be a Faith series.

Maybe if enough of us dream it, it will come true...

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #122 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 11:17 PM »
Uh...before this gets out of hand, lemme make one thing clear: there is no Faith series being planned!

but i'm sure there's no harm in fantasizing about it...  :)  geez, why can't i stop drooling just thinking about it?  hehehe...  ;D

Maybe if enough of us dream it, it will come true...

Hmm....  reminds me of an old issue of "Sandman" by Neil Gaiman...  :)  Count me in...  I'll make sure that i'm dreaming of this baby when I go to bed tonight...  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2002 at 11:22 PM by kings5504 »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #123 on: Jul 17, 2002 at 09:56 AM »

Hmm....  reminds me of an old issue of "Sandman" by Neil Gaiman...  :)  

You're right, kings5504 - that was from the Sandman issue featuring the cats and their supposed history. Can't remember the title though, but it was a great concept on the power of dreams.

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #124 on: Jul 17, 2002 at 10:25 AM »
hi gumby,

it was entitled "Dream of a Thousand Cats"...

hehehe...  off-topic na tayo...   :)

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #125 on: Jul 17, 2002 at 05:27 PM »

I wonder why Faith only lasted one season in the series - anyone knows? Or Drusilla - why only one season? I mean Spike came back and became a regular, why not Faith or Dru?

And what about Oz - why can't he ever return to the series?

the answer to that is "movies".They all decided to concentrate on movies which pay more than buffy.  ;D

BTW, gumby, re: theme of season 6. Joss actually said that the theme was "oh Grow up". That's why i couldn't figure out why the heck the season turned out the way it did. ::)
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #126 on: Jul 17, 2002 at 05:37 PM »

the answer to that is "movies".They all decided to concentrate on movies which pay more than buffy.  ;D

BTW, gumby, re: theme of season 6. Joss actually said that the theme was "oh Grow up". That's why i couldn't figure out why the heck the season turned out the way it did. ::)

acidburn, darling, we share a brain again! I love it when people are crabby for the same reason I am! :)

gumby, did you ever find the Seth rumor on Pinoyslayers? I know I posted it.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #127 on: Jul 17, 2002 at 05:40 PM »
Really acidburn? Then I guess they did get lost in season 6. The whole season just didn't seem like a "growing up" phase - now I understand your earlier post.  :D

Uh...I understand Eliza and Seth on the "movies" thing but...where the heck did Juliet go? I can't recall any movie she made since leaving S2! I guess I just miss her - her short appearance in "Crush" isn't enough!

Since I mentioned Joss is considering Eliza to go back in S7, I thought I should mention the other characters they're considering of bringing back: Clare Kramer, Mark Metclaf and Adam Busch. No spoilers here...just rumors ok?

Now...are you excited about S7? I know I am!  ;D

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #128 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 10:27 AM »

Uh...I understand Eliza and Seth on the "movies" thing but...where the heck did Juliet go? I can't recall any movie she made since leaving S2! I guess I just miss her - her short appearance in "Crush" isn't enough!

Well, Juliet is doing a LOT of theatre. Based on an article I read recently, she's a member of the Actor's Studio, like her father, and right now I think she's on tour with a play in Chicago or something. And she gets asked why she isn't back on Buffy all the time. :) I'm gonna look for that article and post the link here.

Anyway, the story on Seth is that his leaving BtVS might have been a mite contentious. Notice they barely mention his name. Although if I had my druthers, I'd like the series to end in that Istanbul thing, y'know, from Willow's goodbye scene with Oz in New Moon Rising. :)

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #129 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 11:24 AM »
New spoilery Buffy S7 article here: http://www.post-gazette.com/tv/20020718owen3.asp

Joss seems very close-mouthed about the fate of Spikey. I hope that's a good sign. Spoiler: *[color=#DDDDD]I just hope someone points out that Buffy's actions towards Spike last season were wrongwrongwrongwrongwrong. Because aside from Jane, I don't think any of the staff writers think she ought to get crap for the crappy treatment she handed out to Spikeums last year, and I think she should.[/color]*

Also, yawn. I saw sides from the first episode at Fanforum. Does anyone want me to post it at Pinoyslayers? Because it's very lame. And aside from my general apathy towards S7, I'm still paralyzed by not caring very much.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #130 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 11:37 AM »
I agree with your spoiler, Holly! What goes around comes around, ika nga.

I think what happened with S6 was that the balance of humor and reality was lost. I mean, the past seasons had its dark moments (S1 had Buffy's death, S2 had Angel's death, S3 had Faith's betrayal, and S4 had college  ;D) but the humor was intelligently mixed in the batch.

I think with S6, the humor was down-played because of what Buffy experienced in the premiere, thereby setting the mood for the rest of the season. With this in mind, I think the darkness of the season was appropriate, though not necessarily enjoyable.

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #131 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 01:22 PM »

New spoilery Buffy S7 article here: http://www.post-gazette.com/tv/20020718owen3.asp

Joss seems very close-mouthed about the fate of Spikey. I hope that's a good sign. Spoiler: *[color=#DDDDD]I just hope someone points out that Buffy's actions towards Spike last season were wrongwrongwrongwrongwrong. Because aside from Jane, I don't think any of the staff writers think she ought to get crap for the crappy treatment she handed out to Spikeums last year, and I think she should.[/color]*

spoilery reply to spoilery comment **[color=#DDDDD]
Dahling, if people deserve to pay for treating their boyfriends (or whatever) like crap, we'd all be whipped 9 ways till sunday  ;D
[/color] **
Join the Pinoyslayers, the most kick-ass club of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans in the country.

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #132 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 01:40 PM »

... snip ...
Also, yawn. I saw sides from the first episode at Fanforum. Does anyone want me to post it at Pinoyslayers? Because it's very lame. And aside from my general apathy towards S7, I'm still paralyzed by not caring very much.

ah, what the heck. post it. i'm going to forget it by the time it gets shown here anyway. :)

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #133 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 01:59 PM »

ah, what the heck. post it. i'm going to forget it by the time it gets shown here anyway. :)

Have a suggestion: since most of us here already know what's going to happen to the series up to S6, maybe we can do away with the spoiler warnings and discuss things freely? I mean, let's just put a big SPOILER AHEAD at the start of the thread and y'know..."spoil" ahead? What do you think guys?

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #134 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 02:02 PM »
i dunno if it's just a coincidence but why do most tv shows that i like peak on its first three or four seasons then goes downhill after that?  it certainly was the case for me for the x-files (i'm glad they finally killed that show, although i'm sad that it wasn't able to exit while it was still at the top of its game), seinfeld, nypd blue (heck, for me that peaked in its first season then went downhill after that), and now buffy...  i really love buffy, but i just found season 4, 5, and what i have seen from season 6 a bit of a drag compared to its first 3 seasons...  i hope the show finds its sense of humor again, or else season 7 will just end up to be another glum season like season 6...

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #135 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 02:12 PM »

spoilery reply to spoilery comment **[color=#DDDDD]
Dahling, if people deserve to pay for treating their boyfriends (or whatever) like crap, we'd all be whipped 9 ways till sunday  ;D
[/color] **

Ah, but I was always nice to my exes! Also, [color=#DDDDD]I never beat them up at the slightest provocation. Or use people without compunction. Or take out whatever insecurities I have about myself onto the person who looks at me like he loves me. Basically, if they want me to even look at Buffy without feeling disgust and annoyance, they know what to do...

Also, ahem, they pride themselves on being a feminist show and then introduce a plot line where a newly-rich Xander plans to woo Anya back with money? Is he planning to pay her directly, or does Anya now have a pimp? Ptui.
[/color]

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #136 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 02:15 PM »

i dunno if it's just a coincidence but why do most tv shows that i like peak on its first three or four seasons then goes downhill after that?  it certainly was the case for me for the x-files (i'm glad they finally killed that show, although i'm sad that it wasn't able to exit while it was still at the top of its game), seinfeld, nypd blue (heck, for me that peaked in its first season then went downhill after that), and now buffy...  i really love buffy, but i just found season 4, 5, and what i have seen from season 6 a bit of a drag compared to its first 3 seasons...  i hope the show finds its sense of humor again, or else season 7 will just end up to be another glum season like season 6...

Awww. I loved season 5! :D I love the metaphysics of it. And darn it, it's funny! <me babaw>

Also, if you can FF through all the Riley-Initiative parts, S4 is a hoot. The Oz-Faith two-parters, Hush, and the badass Something Blue are exceptional episodes. Plus, they never should have killed Sunday from The Freshman.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #137 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 02:22 PM »
Not too crazy about the Spoilers Ahead idea, gumby. Only because I think some members are going spoiler-free, and they may stop browsing the thread if we put in de spoilers. Sayang naman the other voices in the discourse, ne? JMHO, of course. :)

... snip ...

SPOILERS:

[color=#DDDDD]

This stuff, if you don't mind me saying so, is LAME. And JOSS wrote it. Igh. Buffy's the best what ever? She's freaking 21!

From Fraz in Fanforum

More from Episode 1 Season 7 LESSONS
INT. SCHOOL HALLS-DAY

Pan through the halls as kids change classes,
packing the place.

Buffy, Dawn, Carlos and Kit are all together near
the entrance to the basement. It's crowded, but
these four are in their own world.

BUFFY: You guys are gonna be okay. THis school
is intense, but you can do all right if you're
careful. And you might wanna think about sticking
together.

KIT: Thank you...

She hugs Buffy. Carlos puts his arm on her
shoulder and says, sincerely:

CARLOS: Yeah. I mean it. You're the coolest mom ever.

Ashen, Buffy instinctively touches her hair. Dawn smiles.

DAWN: Come on. We've still got a few more classes to live through.

She kisses Buffy on the cheek and then takes off, arm in arm with Kit, Carlos staying close. Buffy watches them go, then turns to find Principal Wood staring at her.

P WOOD: Curiouser and curiouser

BUFFY: What?

P WOOD: Carlos Trejo and Kit Holbern. Possibly the only
two students in this school who's files are as thick as yours was.

BUFFY: You really did do your homework.

P WOOD: I was looking for one or both of them to implode in a fearsome way before midterms, and you've got 'em socializing, hugging, and if I'm not mistaken, actually headed to class.

BUFFY: Well, we shared an...encounter. Sometimes you just gotta break the ice.

P WOOD: You were probably more than happy to get out of this place, but I gotta tell you, Ms. Summers, I think you belong here.

BUFFY: hamnoo?

P WOOD: Ever think about coming back?

BUFFY: Is this that nightmare where I didn't take finals? Should I be in my jammies?

P WOOD: I know this school's reputation. You think I got this job 'cause I had seniority? We've got a lot of pretty troubled students here, and just enough money to keep the place from caving in.

BUFFY: You may need a little extra there.

P WOOD: We do have a small community outreach program, gets people from the town to teach electives and such...the money we could pay you wouldn't even... but it would just be a couple days a week...

BUFFY: You want me to be a counselor?

P WOOD: We have a guidance counselor, but I think the kinds could use someone, you know, closer to their age, who still...

BUFFY: I'm in.

P WOOD: You serious? You heard the part about the money?

BUFFY: I heard. I'd like to keep an eye on this place.

P WOOD: Well that's great.

BUFFY: Just let me know.

P WOOD: All RIght (looks at watch) It's not even noon and I've already bullied my first family member into helping out. I'm going to be the best principal ever.

The principal smiles, winningly, and goes off. Buffy watches, her smile fading. Still not sure about this person. She looks around the building a bit, then exits out the front.

--------------------------

Someone on the following page snarked about it...

From bubonicplague1348 in Fanforum:

Oh, look, it's MORE from episode 1, LESSONS:

P WOOD: Hi, I'm Principal Wood. I'm the token black character this season, want to take bets on how soon I get killed off?

BUFFY: I'm Buffy. I'm a mom. I mean...no, I'm a sister. I'm a mother AND a sister. No wait...that's Chinatown.

P WOOD: I've heard stuff about you. A lot of stuff. I'm cryptic. Would you like me to be your love interest?

BUFFY: Thanks, but I really don't want to date anyone whose name is even more phallic than the last guy I was with. I mean, "Principal Wood"? Come on! (she picks up her new cell phone and dials Xander)

CARLOS: Hello?

BUFFY: Who is this?

CARLOS: Well, I figured since I'm the same character as Xander, I might as well answer his phone. Can you hear me now? Good.

[/color]
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2002 at 02:23 PM by Holly Golightly »

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #138 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 02:41 PM »
hi holly,
i didn't hate seasons 4-6 of buffy...  i just felt that episodes from those seasons lacked the "oomph" or the buzz i got after watching a brand new episode from the first 3 seasons...  i mean, i too have favorites eps from seasons 4-6...  "The Gift", "Hush", "The Body", the Faith episodes (mmmm....  Faith.....  ;D), and "Once More, With Feeling" come to mind...  but you were right about the Riley-Iniative part...  i really had to fast forward through a lot of that nonsense (sorry to the Initiative fans out there! :))...

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #139 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 02:48 PM »
Tawa ako ng tawa sa spoilers mo, Holly! Uh wait...that doesn't mean I liked it...it was amusing but not exactly intelligent.  ;D

Hmmm...sad to say I have never seen an Initiative episode. I think I only saw "Hush" from S4 and nothing else - not even  :'( the Faith 2-parter.

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #140 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 03:05 PM »

Also, if you can FF through all the Riley-Initiative parts, S4 is a hoot. The Oz-Faith two-parters, Hush, and the badass Something Blue are exceptional episodes.

Hear, hear!  Also, don't forget Restless -- it had the Cheese man! <me also babaw>

Plus, they never should have killed Sunday from The Freshman.

She would've made a great Glorificus, doncha think?
Join the Pinoyslayers, the most kick-ass club of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans in the country.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #141 on: Jul 19, 2002 at 03:52 PM »
Also, if you can FF through all the Riley-Initiative parts, S4 is a hoot. The Oz-Faith two-parters, Hush, and the badass Something Blue are exceptional episodes.
Hear, hear!  Also, don't forget Restless -- it had the Cheese man! <me also babaw>

Yessss! Also, "A New Man," which I keep forgetting to mention, but was my first taste of that Spike-Giles chemistry I love. Oh, and "Superstar." And "Beer Bad." <whaaat?>

Plus, they never should have killed Sunday from The Freshman.

She would've made a great Glorificus, doncha think?

I was just saying that! Great minds, Pagan.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2002 at 04:15 PM by Holly Golightly »

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #142 on: Jul 22, 2002 at 09:31 PM »
Just saw "I was made to love you."

What do you guys think?  Wasn't it just funny?  April broke my heart in the end  :-[

Has anyone ever become an "April" in a relationship?  

I haven't yet, I think, but only because I've too much of an ego, hehehe.

But then, I think it's the April's who get the guy most of the time...

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #143 on: Jul 22, 2002 at 09:57 PM »
I Was Made To Love You feels like a filler episode, y'know? I mean between the appearance of Drusilla in The Crush and next week's episode, it kinda felt...I don't know...mediocre?

Ummm...is this the first appearance of Warren?

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #144 on: Jul 22, 2002 at 10:07 PM »

I Was Made To Love You feels like a filler episode, y'know? I mean between the appearance of Drusilla in The Crush and next week's episode, it kinda felt...I don't know...mediocre?

Yes, in a way, it is a filler episode.  Also, it establishes a lot of things (bi-seasonal viewers know what I'm talking about).  But it was pretty good.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #145 on: Jul 23, 2002 at 12:00 AM »
Sali ako!

In the Buffy timeline, this episode may seem like a filler when you first watch it, but it is anything but.

Note everything that went on in the episode - Warren, his girlfriend, April, the ending. They are all critical in understanding the Buffy universe as it is today.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #146 on: Jul 23, 2002 at 09:54 AM »
So, Ben and Glory are two person in one, only Glory isn't aware of what Ben thinks?

A big thread welcome to Mr. Hankey.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #147 on: Jul 23, 2002 at 11:01 AM »
Hi Mr. Hankey and welcome!

Note everything that went on in the episode - Warren, his girlfriend, April, the ending. They are all critical in understanding the Buffy universe as it is today.

Well, I didn't say that the episode was bad...just mediocre since it's between two really great episodes. I agree that the storyline and characters were in sync with the Buffyverse (and we finally FINALLY get a resolution to Buffy's feelings about Riley) but it just didn't quite sum up to The Crush and the upcoming episode next week.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #148 on: Jul 23, 2002 at 12:43 PM »
Hi Mr. Hankey and welcome!

Well, I didn't say that the episode was bad...just mediocre since it's between two really great episodes. I agree that the storyline and characters were in sync with the Buffyverse (and we finally FINALLY get a resolution to Buffy's feelings about Riley) but it just didn't quite sum up to The Crush and the upcoming episode next week.

True, but Mr. Hankey is right (welcome to the thread, btw). Rewatch this ep after The Gift airs. Or after the season 6 episode "Dead Things." You'll pick up on things you may have ignored in the beginning, but will take on exceptional import upon rewatch. Even with my bitterness towards the staff, these things still put BtVS a cut above other things on TV today. Because you HAVE to pay attention. Even if it sucks.
« Last Edit: Jul 23, 2002 at 12:43 PM by Holly Golightly »

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #149 on: Jul 24, 2002 at 04:46 PM »
In case anyone was wondering, that was "Crush" writer David Fury as one of the goat-sacrificers in the first scene of last night's Angel episode.  As I mentioned to the Pinoyslayers, I KNEW Fury was in league with the Dark Forces.
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2002 at 04:47 PM by Holly Golightly »