Author Topic: Buffy The Vampire Slayer  (Read 32531 times)

Offline pagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:The Bronze, The Buffy the Vampire Slayer Thread
« Reply #240 on: Aug 30, 2002 at 02:45 PM »
re:  the promo.

i watched it the other day (or was it yesterday?) and all i can say is "back to school, back to cool" is totally lame. who thinks up these ads?
Maybe the same people who write for the buffy.com site?    :-\

Join the Pinoyslayers, the most kick-ass club of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans in the country.

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #241 on: Sep 02, 2002 at 05:09 AM »
Speaking of the S7 promo....

Anyone else notice that they digitally erased Tara/Amber Benson from all the scenes in the Promo that she was in?

They didn't even bother doing it cleanly 'cause the shots were very obvious (if you slo mo the clip and obsessively view it frame by frame  ;D ) IMO that was totally unnecessary since most of the writers and even Joss Whedon said she'd be back. Besides, they could have used other clips instead.  Conspiracy or just the work of the dimwitted marketting staff that came up with "back to cool, back to school"?  ;D

oh hey! for all you spoiler sluts out there. I just found a nifty site that compiles all known/reliable spoilers for buffy, angel, alias and smallville. Kinda like spoiler slayer only more diverse.

http://www.spoilersluts.com/show-buffy.html

nice pics of sunnydale high.

and just because i had nothing better to do. If buffy's crew is the scooby gang. What happens if they come up with Dawn the vampire slayer? Will we call her friends the S c r a p p y gang?  ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2002 at 07:01 AM by acidburn »
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
« Reply #242 on: Sep 02, 2002 at 07:37 AM »
and just because i had nothing better to do. If buffy's crew is the scooby gang. What happens if they come up with Dawn the vampire slayer? Will we call her friends the S c r a p p y gang?  ;D

You forgot to take away the "S" in "Scrappy", acidburn!  ;D

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #243 on: Sep 03, 2002 at 12:15 PM »
Was that a really kick@$s episode of Buffy last night or what?  The action was non-stop, I was at the edge of my seat.

I have a question, though.  How on earth did those knights get into Sunnydale without incident?  I mean, hello!  An entire army in chain mail and with swords?

Still, they were fun to see on horseback, chasing after the scoobies.

"Aim for the horsies!"
Join the Pinoyslayers, the most kick-ass club of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans in the country.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #244 on: Sep 03, 2002 at 01:27 PM »
Last night's episode had, IMHO, one of the best fight scenes in TV or movie history! Buffy swinging that sword - geez, what a shot!

Spike was also in excellent form - I liked his little gestures like screaming everytime he used his hands or wincing everytime a ray of sunlight would hit him - not one scene did he botch up!

Xander was useless but hey - that's a good thing! His humor would've been too distracting for the seriousness of the episode.

Dawn, for the first time, is beautiful in this episode. Was it the lighting? The shadows? In some scenes, she's more beautiful than SMG!

Anya - you go girl! No one can use a frying pan like she did!

Willow - "don't hit the horsies?" Even in the midst of such odds, she didn't go out of character.

The title ("Spiral") was very appropriate as things went downhill from start to finish. I can't wait for the next episode!

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • the noxious in obnoxious
  • Liked:
« Reply #245 on: Sep 03, 2002 at 02:09 PM »
aargh! i wanna be a spoiler man-whore!

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #246 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 12:17 PM »
Next week's Buffy the Vampire Slayer..

The Weight of the World (Episode 5-21)
With Dawn captured, Glory's victory seems imminent.  Buffy's failure to protect her sister has sent her to a state of shock and her friends begin to fear they have lost her as well.

It's the last episode before the grand season finale, so watchitwatchitwatchit.

For yummy non-spoilery screen captures of the episode, click on over to Tabula Rasa.  Drop by the message board too to say 'hi'.  ;)

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #247 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 12:23 PM »
some Buffy related news....

Scooby-Doo' co-stars Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze Jr. wed in Mexico

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20020903/ap_wo_en_po/us_people_gellar_prinze_1

this time it's for real aparently.

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #248 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 01:38 PM »
Are we still concerned about Studio 23 showing unsynched BTVS and Angel?

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #249 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 06:47 PM »
Holly: totally agree with you re: SMG. I actually started watching buffy because of willow. I miss quirky funny willow.

I completely disagree with both of you. Sarah is what keeps me glued to the screen - looks, acting, presence, charisma... the whole package. I find it funny... it's common for me to find that women aren't fond of SMG, but ALL GUYS are.

(Back me up here, guys...  ;D )

Apparently NOT ALL guys are Mr. Hankey! :P   In the past, I was happily living ignoring Buffy cause I really don't dig SMG (kept on having flashbacks of that Buffy in the movie, can't exactly recall who, Kristy Swanson?).  Chanced upon Faith guesting one time (Season 5?), and boy was I hooked!

If I were to rank the Girls of Buffy (hmmmm... wonderful title for a Playboy issue), Buffy's rank would be lower than those of Faith's, Anya, and Glory... (I'm not yet that much of a fan so I can't name the others :))

Anxiously anticipating the next guesting of Faith,

8) X-Ran 8)

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #250 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 06:54 PM »

Count my vote for synchronizing the schedule of the two shows... back-to-back schedules perhaps (just like in Star)?

One question though: if you buy the season DVDs, do you also get to have the episodes of Angel where you have cross-overs?

8) X-Ran 358 8)

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #251 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 07:47 PM »
No you don't. Angel has DVDs too so you have to buy those to watch the crossovers.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #252 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 07:55 PM »

Count my vote for synchronizing the schedule of the two shows... back-to-back schedules perhaps (just like in Star)?

No need to synchronize anymore. Except for Angel Season Two Finale where one Buffy cast member will make an uncredited cameo (that's not much of a spoiler, is it?), the shows run independently at this point, since there are no crossovers for Buffy S6/Angel S3 due to network conflicts. Looks like there may be some interaction between the two shows again for B S7/A S4, due to the "Faith" announcement. We'll have to wait and see, though.

One question though: if you buy the season DVDs, do you also get to have the episodes of Angel where you have cross-overs?

No you don't. You're expected to buy the Angel Season DVDs as a boxed sets, too. But I can't stand that show, so I settled for taping the crossover episodes off StarWorld when they aired.
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2002 at 07:57 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #253 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 08:00 PM »
Buffy got married na ;D

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #254 on: Sep 04, 2002 at 08:57 PM »
yup to her "Prinze" charming.  ;D sorry couldn't resist.

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #255 on: Sep 05, 2002 at 01:19 PM »
Buffy got married na ;D

What? When.. Buffy?

Oh, you mean, Sarah Michelle Gellar.. Whew!

Offline Redmary

• Apprentice
  • Sponge bath, Mr. Wyndam-Pryce?
  • Liked:
« Reply #256 on: Sep 08, 2002 at 10:48 AM »
Hello, people! The usually net-challenged me driving by.

acidburn Agh! I will not click! No spoilers for me. (Now let's see how long that lasts for me... hahaha)

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #257 on: Sep 09, 2002 at 10:24 PM »
season 7 comment. Not really spoilery just my opinion. You've been warned though.

well, just read a summary of the season 7 opener from someone who watched an advanced copy. If it's true, all i can say is HO hum and anvils galore. Looks like dear old Jossy has run out  of ideas.

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #258 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 10:06 AM »
Hey, I just created a thread for Angel season 3!  Now you can get things off your chest..

WARNING!  This thread should only be read for those who have seen Angel season 3, unless you wanna be spoiled big time!

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #259 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 08:14 PM »
FROM EW.COM:

What's At Stake

Five reasons ''Buffy'' gets snubbed by the Emmys -- It's more than a teen show. So why did it earn just one measly nomination? Ken Tucker explains

If it's getting close to Emmy Awards time (Sept. 22), that means it's another year when one of the best-written, -acted, and -directed shows on the air gets ignored. I'm talking, of course, about ''Buffy the Vampire Slayer,'' whose new season on UPN begins Sept. 24. Before that, however, ''Buffy'' and its creator, Joss Whedon, must suffer through the indignity of watching lesser shows like ''The Shield'' and ''Six Feet Under'' rack up nominations. Why? Here are five reasons ''Buffy'' gets no -- or too little -- respect.

1. It's called ''Buffy the Vampire Slayer.'' You think I'm kidding, but hidebound Emmy voters still cannot imagine that a show about attractive young people driving wooden stakes through blood-sucking fiends could possibly have the resonance of more ''realistic'' shows like ''West Wing'' or ''NYPD Blue.'' No matter that, say, everyone on the ''Wing'' is also an all-attractive cast, or that ''The Shield'' is like the first season of ''NYPD Blue'' but without the emotional depth ''Blue'''s David Milch brought to it. ''Buffy,'' based on a lousy movie, has never been able to overcome the perception that it is, at best, a teen show.

2. It's funny; it's dramatic; it's scary. All good qualities, right? Well, not when you're trying to decide which category to place a show in for Emmy consideration. As an hour-long show with lotsa laffs, it doesn't fit in as a comedy nominee. But as an extravagantly dramatic show that explores adolescent and post-adolescent traumas better than any series since ''My So-Called Life,'' it's also not quite ''grown-up'' enough to draw in adult Emmy voters. And as for the scary quotient -- well, TV shows that say ''Boo!'' even as artfully as ''Buffy'' does, just don't register as serious enough on Emmy radar.

3. It's on UPN. And before that, it was on the WB. Neither network is known to produce an awful lot of Emmy-worthy work (''Gilmore Girls'' on the WB excepted). There's snobbery at work here, an inability of nominators to see beyond the usual ABC, NBC, and CBS broadcasters, with HBO prevailing over all as the quality behemoth. This year's nominations for F/X's ''The Shield'' may actually help overcome some of this shortsightedness.

4. It gets just enough recognition for voters to ignore it. By this I mean ''Buffy'''s stand-out episode this past season, the all-musical ''Once More With Feeling,'' has been nominated, in the Outstanding Musical Direction category. That's like throwing a bone to the show, when actually Whedon's remarkable collection of original compositions and the surprisingly effective vocal performances of its cast make it all the more infuriating that the series isn't represented in more high-profile categories.

5. It's got some supernatural bad luck. Whedon's name was left off the Emmy ballot in the writing category: ''Buffy'' producers reportedly thought Whedon was handling his own nominating process; Whedon apparently believed the producers were doing this. When the mistake was realized, the Emmy committee was -- to give them some credit -- eager to make amends, and it sent out an addendum ballot to Emmy voters. No luck. Any way you look at it, the show seems jinxed.

What isn't jinxed is the show's quality. I've seen the season premiere: It's a corker, full of surprises, lighter in tone than last season's occasionally lugubrious one, and offering a perfect opportunity for new viewers, intimidated by the show's backstory, to climb aboard and find out why the rest of us love ''Buffy'' so much.

any thoughts? ;D

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #260 on: Sep 11, 2002 at 11:26 PM »
#1 reason for joss not getting an emmy: Karma  ::)

excuse me, still bitter about season sux... i mean 6.  ;D

Admittedly, he deserved an emmy for the musical episode.  He also deserved an emmy for the Body in season 5. Darn stuck up emmy folk and their love of NBC and HBO.

Offline utoy

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #261 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 10:05 AM »
Screw the Emmy's!!!

Wala lang. Just echoing the general BtVS audience sentiment. I'm unspoiled for Buffy e, although I've seen the musical which I think is brilliant and a huh?!?season-ender which I've already forgotten.

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #262 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 12:14 PM »
I've seen the musical which I think is brilliant and a huh?!?season-ender which I've already forgotten.

Behold the brilliance of BtVS.  Even when it's "huh?", it's still better than most other stuff on TV.  I had a few non-Buffy watching friends over, and I made them see the last 5 eps of Season 6, and they thoroughly enjoyed it.  I made them watch OMWF, too, and they also thought it rocked.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #263 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 02:31 PM »
I'm baaaaack, baby. Missed me?

Acidburn - Nyahahaha. Karma indeed. Although I'm annoyed at Joss for abandoning BtVS to Marti's tender mercies (barf) I do feel sorry for the little b@stard, because the Emmy slap was such a cold, hard slap in the face. Not sorry enough to feel sad if and when Firefly tanks like a...tank, but sorry. :) Twas a fabulous ep, and it only got one nomination. Hells Bells got the other three, and WTF for?

Another review of 7.1 is up at Movie Pöòp Shoot, the rocking new site from Kevin "Dogma" Smith. Go for the review (if you're spoiled, I mean), stay for the other articles.

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #264 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 03:38 PM »
Another review of 7.1 is up at Movie Pöòp Shoot, the rocking new site from Kevin "Dogma" Smith. Go for the review (if you're spoiled, I mean), stay for the other articles.

Thanks for the link.  I started reading it .. then I just had to stop.  Why?  I just realized this was just too important (for me, anyway) to be spoiled for.

Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #265 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 04:02 PM »
Whaaa? You didn't read the spoilers I sent you? <foot tapping>

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #266 on: Sep 12, 2002 at 05:35 PM »
Whaaa? You didn't read the spoilers I sent you? <foot tapping>

No, I can't!

*channelling Kirk*
Must.. not.. read.. spoilers!  Must .. wait .. for season premier!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #267 on: Sep 15, 2002 at 09:05 PM »
I think Studio 23 is pretty stupid.

I just saw the trailer for tomorrow's Season Finale, and SPOILER (Highlight to read): After they do a voice-over saying "Someone must make the ultimate sacrifice," they actually show Buffy jumping off the tower, plunging to her death.

Is that just plain nuts or what?
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2002 at 09:13 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
Studio 23's spoilery trailer for the season finale?
« Reply #268 on: Sep 16, 2002 at 08:22 AM »
WHAT!!!

Those .. those.. fiends!  Holly, can you confirm?

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #269 on: Sep 16, 2002 at 09:30 AM »
Yep, I saw the trailer at the end of last week's episode. It was soooo disappointing and soooo careless of Ch23!  >:(