Author Topic: Buffy The Vampire Slayer  (Read 31659 times)

NY152

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:The Bronze, The Buffy the Vampire Slayer Thread
« Reply #60 on: Jun 27, 2002 at 12:57 AM »

Geez - you guys are scaring me! Is S6 really that bad?

Like I said, the problem with S6 is it's lacking the "Joss Whedon humor" that's the trademark of the show. No witty one-liners. No comedy relief. As a result, the entire season plays too heavy, and doesn't quite feel like "Buffy" should. Yes, I blame the same person Holly does.

Where do (or did) you guys see it? On cable or local TV?

On the internet.  ::)

But when season 5 is done, you may want to get in touch with me if you can't wait. I have the first 11 episodes on VHS. Yes, taped from UPN's broadcast, not transferred to tape from AVI/MPG files.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Jun 27, 2002 at 08:24 AM »
Hmm...that's bad NY152 - I hope Joss returns for S7. Is he still busy with that new series of his - Firefly is it? Anyone seen it to tell me if it's worth the departure from Buffy?

What do you mean by "on the internet"? You watch the episodes by stream or read about it in full detail? I did some advance reading on S5 and S6 but I'll wait until I watch the episodes before I throw in my two cents - but don't you guys throw rotten tomatoes at me if I happen to like S6!  I'm quite easy to please...  ;D

Thanks for the offer NY152 - I'll get in touch with you if I can't wait. But to be honest, with what I've read on S5 so far, I can't wait already for the upcoming episodes! Geez, Buffy the poor gal - Joss really made this season epic IMHO.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jun 27, 2002 at 11:04 AM »

Oh and Holly - thanks for the Pinoyslayers link - you are a "dahling" (said in Audrey Hepburn-like accent)  ;D

Darling! You joined! <<tacklehug>> :)

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jun 27, 2002 at 11:19 AM »
Yep - thanks Holly!

NY152

« Reply #64 on: Jun 27, 2002 at 03:44 PM »
Is he still busy with that new series of his - Firefly is it? Anyone seen it to tell me if it's worth the departure from Buffy?

Well, from what I heard (from acidburn!), he spent $10M on the pilot, and it sucked so bad that it's almost completely unusable, and they have to reshoot a new one.

What do you mean by "on the internet"? You watch the episodes by stream or read about it in full detail?

I never read spoiler boards or read detailed episode summaries - sayang lang! I watch the full episodes usually on the same day that they air in the States. If you have broadband internet access, that's very easy to learn to do...   8)
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2002 at 08:21 PM by NY152 »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Jun 27, 2002 at 04:09 PM »
Unfortunately, I can't watch streaming videos at home because my internet access is not that fast - and I can't watch it at the office or my boss will fire me. I guess I'll just wait for the episodes to be shown on Ch23 or Star World. Thanks NY152!

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Jun 27, 2002 at 05:21 PM »

Is he still busy with that new series of his - Firefly is it? Anyone seen it to tell me if it's worth the departure from Buffy?

Well, from what I heard (from acidburn!), he spent $10M on the pilot, and it sucked so bad that it's almost completely unusable, and they have to reshoot a new one.

Here's the poop from Wanda, whom I ordinarily denigrate. But this time I agree with her, so...

From weir0013: Do you have any info on Joss Whedon's new show, Firefly?

Did you see this week's TV Scoop? I remain ever faithful--I'd take Joss Whedon's "pig-in-poo" droppings over any other Fox "hit" any day. But there are definitely some problems over there in Firefly land. One camp insists the pilot is being retooled only because Fox loved it so much they wanted to add an extra episode before the original pilot, to give a little more background info. Another camp says the Fox higher-ups hated the pilot and are making Whedon completely retool it . The Friday time slot is hardly a show of faith, so I'm inclined to believe the latter.

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Jun 29, 2002 at 10:45 AM »

MINOR SPOILER:

There were also rumors that Joss Whedon wanted to end the series while they were still high in the ratings. Would the 7th season be their last one? Hope not!

he should have ended it at the end of S5 then  ::)

just ditto-ing what everyone else said about season 6 and how much it kinda sucked (pun intended) .

They're saying season 7 will be better but i'm trying not to get my hopes up. Joss wjedon is directing and writing the season opener though so that could be a good thing.

Re: FIREFLY

yup it's in big trouble. Not only are dark angels fans outraged that it got their show cancelled, Lots of scifi fans don't think it's worth watching especially since it's gonna air opposite farscape.

was browsing the boards on TWOP and found these two spoofs of the firely ads that i found really funny:

http://members.aol.com/fragilespiral/fireflyspoof.jpg

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~andrewc/pics/serenity_ad.jpg

btw, found this marketing blurb that UPN released

By now, everyone knows Buffy-a single, working woman who raises her sister by day and battles demons by night. She is the Slayer, destined to defend humanity against demons, vampires and the forces of darkness. Buffy's days of slaying are far from over, as the fight continues this season.

With SMG leading a remarkably talented and attractive cast, the second season of BTVS on UPN will continue to dominate its time period as the place for young adults as the story heats up and her future is rocked. Everything she ever wanted but never knew she did. Tuesday nights watch this season. TURN IT UP.

so "a single, working woman who raises her sister by day " and who has "Everything she ever wanted but never knew she did." Sure sounds like they're trying to get the Gilmore Girls audience back.  ::)

sorry, feeling snarky about the show today.
I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jun 29, 2002 at 12:38 PM »
By the way, guys - when will the seventh season of Buffy air?

Also, almost everyone hated season 6 because it was dark and all but...isn't season 5 also a bit dark and depressing? I mean reading ahead from various websites, Buffy's being put through (or has been put through) the wringer in S5!

In last Thursday's episode ("Listening To Fear") in Star World, Buffy's mom is delusional from the tumor in her brain - it was absolutely heartbreaking to see Buffy just break down in tears while doing the dishes. But having someone close who has a brain tumor, it was a reaction that I can really relate to. I was actually waiting for her to break down since she barely had time to cry when she first found out about her mother's condition.

NY152

« Reply #69 on: Jun 29, 2002 at 01:06 PM »
isn't season 5 also a bit dark and depressing?

If you find Season Five dark and depressing...  :o

Like I said, in the past, when storylines were serious, there was "Joss Whedon humor" that kept it from being too depressing, and would lighten up the mood at appropriate times. That's CLEARLY missing in S6, so it's just a major downer 24/7 on the show, save for one episode of the season.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2002 at 05:35 PM by NY152 »

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Jun 29, 2002 at 01:31 PM »
actually two.... The musical and the one after that.  ;D

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Jun 29, 2002 at 05:20 PM »
I just bought the 2001 year ender of Cinescape magazine from the backissue bins and saw an interesting quote from Sarah Michelle Gellar:

"I will stay on Buffy if, and only if, Buffy stays on the WB. And you know what? Print that. My bosses are going to kill me, but print that. I want them to know...the WB has been so supportive, such a great network over the past four years. It feels like home. I don't want the show to move, because I feel that we belong on the WB. It's where our fans are. If Buffy leaves the WB, I'm out."

Interesting. ;D

Also, in the same magazine, UPN initially ordered 2 seasons of Buffy of 22 episodes each. They are paying $2.33M per episode, as opposed to WB's $1.6M.

The magazine also reviewed other shows like Charmed and the X-Files, but Buffy was the first they reviewed (and the reviews were not alphabetical). They gave S5 high marks...do you guys want me to list down how they rated each episode?  

NY152

« Reply #72 on: Jun 29, 2002 at 05:39 PM »
I (...saw) an interesting quote from Sarah Michelle Gellar:

"I will stay on Buffy if, and only if, Buffy stays on the WB. And you know what? Print that. My bosses are going to kill me, but print that. I want them to know...the WB has been so supportive, such a great network over the past four years. It feels like home. I don't want the show to move, because I feel that we belong on the WB. It's where our fans are. If Buffy leaves the WB, I'm out."

She "retracted" that statement within 24 hours, saying what she actually meant was "If Joss Whedon leaves Buffy, I'm out." Of course, this was after 20th Century Fox reminded her that she was contractually bound to the show until Season 7 regardless of which network the show was on, implying that they'd probably sue her ass off if she left.

Still hoping to go beyond Season 7, gumby?  ::)
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2002 at 05:41 PM by NY152 »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Jun 29, 2002 at 06:09 PM »
NY152 you're scaring me  :P - you're making me think that Buffy's S6 is like the Ishtar of the series!

But in any case, I'll probably stick around until the last episode of the series is shown. I'm in for the long haul - good or bad.

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Jun 29, 2002 at 11:36 PM »

I'm in for the long haul - good or bad.

I remembered saying the same thing about the X-Files...

...until season 6, that is...  ;D
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

NY152

« Reply #75 on: Jun 30, 2002 at 01:19 AM »

I'm in for the long haul - good or bad.

Same here, and I can say that even if Season Seven turns out to be 22 hour remake of Howard The Duck with Buffy as The Duck, I'll still definitely buy the DVD when it comes out, for "completion" sake.

I've done worse... I actually bought Speed 2: Cruise Control for that very same reason!  ;D

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Jun 30, 2002 at 05:58 AM »
well, i'm in the same boat as everyone else I guess. Still hopelessly addicted inspite of everything and will still probably be up all night downlaoding every single episode.  ALthough, I probably won't be as much of a spoiler whore as before which would probably be a good thing.  ;D

NY: You actually bought SPEED 2 for completion? you definitely have OCD. It's the only explanation.  ;)

p.s. OT but  i just discovered that the west wing season 1-3 is on kazaa. must. not. download.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Jun 30, 2002 at 10:00 AM »
I just saw two season 1 episodes last night: "The Puppet Show" and "Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight".

"The Puppet Show" really threw me for a loop - the freaky dummy turned out to be the good guy? This is one "whoa" of an episode! And it was nice to hear Cordelia sing - or should I say "it was nice to see Cordelia sing?"

"Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight" finally (FINALLY) featured Cordelia in the spotlight! It was nice to learn that the ice queen bitch isn't really that cold or cruel; still, her lines made me laughing out loud! The ending was a letdown though.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Jul 01, 2002 at 12:23 PM »
Ooookay...I just finished watching all the season 1 episodes and here's what I thought:

Best episode: Angel
Runners up: The Pack and Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind

A lot of you guys loved The Pack, and I did too, but I guess the Angel-Buffy drama just got to me (the cross burned on Angel was an excellent idea!). Cordelia's spotlight in Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind was looong overdue but I thought the ending just wasn't right.

Best villain: Xander
Runner up: Darla

Although The Master was the season's perennial villain, the possessed Xander gave me the willies! Darla was a good one too, with her schoolgirl outfit (tee hee) and coy attitude - too bad she got dusted.

Best twist: The Puppet Show
Runner up: The Witch

The Puppet Show threw me for a loop - the dummy's the good guy? I didn't see that one coming!

In closing, I guess season 1 was a great start for the series. It had the main ingredient of success - good writing. The twists and the characterization were all unexpected and welcome - plus the humor wasn't corny or contrived.

I can't wait to get my season 2 soon! Anyone selling theirs? Current prices range from P3000 to P3400 - too high!  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 01, 2002 at 12:25 PM by gumby »

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Jul 01, 2002 at 04:47 PM »
isn't season 5 also a bit dark and depressing?

If you find Season Five dark and depressing...  :o

Like I said, in the past, when storylines were serious, there was "Joss Whedon humor" that kept it from being too depressing, and would lighten up the mood at appropriate times. That's CLEARLY missing in S6, so it's just a major downer 24/7 on the show, save for one episode of the season.

See, I don't mind the loss of humor. Season 2 was Grand Guignol, but it had RL resonance, which was sadly lacking in S6. [color=#DDDDD]Unless you were unrepentantly in the habit of sexually abusing the only guy who was devoted to helping you and saving your life, that is. No? How about if you were marrying an ex-demon whom you patronized at every opportunity. Still no. How about the water-chugging crack ho audience? Well, that's three for NOTHING that S6 represents. [/color] Plus it was ineptly made and contradicted itself CONSTANTLY. [color=#DDDDD]Wrecked, Doublemeat Palace and specially As You Were being the worst offenders of the lot. Umiinit ulo ko kapag naaalala ko ang As You Were. Sexist pa yang punyetang episode na yan.[/color] Plus what humor there was was LAME. [color=#DDDDD] Apart from Tabula Rasa. Die Xander Die. Die Buffy Die. Long Live Clem! [/color]

Acidburn was right - they should have quit after Season 5, which is my second-favorite of the lot.

I haven't posted in a while, tapos rant pa yung sinulat ko. Horrible manners, Holly. <spank>
« Last Edit: Jul 02, 2002 at 11:56 AM by Holly Golightly »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jul 01, 2002 at 06:16 PM »
That's okay, Holly - but between you and NY152, I'm really REALLY scared now for S6!

S5 your second favorite? Good thing I jumped on board in this season - I'm enjoying it a lot too! Aside from Buffy, I'm liking Glory a lot - her humor reminds me of Cordelia - in an evil sort of way. Let me guess - S2's your favorite?

I read somewhere today that the seventh season of Buffy will debut in the fall (which is probably around October, right?). Joss Whedon's new series Firefly will also debut in the fall - does this mean Joss is still out on S7? Should I be afraid of S7 as well?

How are you guys finding Angel by the way? No "S6" rants about it?  ;D

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jul 01, 2002 at 09:29 PM »
Just saw Blood Ties at Ch23 tonight - whew! What an episode!

I read in some message boards that a lot of fans hated Dawn when she first appeared, reasoning that the addition of a younger sibling would prove to be the protagonist's achilles heel. Well, I liked Dawn the first time I saw her (which was in No Place Like Home actually) and I think Michelle did justice to the character. Sure she can be annoying but that's how younger sisters act sometimes.

Dawn was once again spotlighted in tonight's episode, and the emotions she showed was so real, I couldn't help but really feel for her. The scene where she tore her diaries - ouch!

Then came the action at the end of the episode - this is the first time I saw the gang really team up (remember, I haven't seen the majority of the episodes). Even the powerless Giles and Xander had a hand - and I didn't know Willow had that kind of power. I cheered at the fight scene and laughed at what happened to Glory!

I think, instead of Dawn being the foil to Buffy's character, she became the focus of her responsibilities. What do you guys think?

NY152

« Reply #82 on: Jul 01, 2002 at 11:45 PM »

Well, I liked Dawn the first time I saw her... Dawn was once again spotlighted in tonight's episode, and the emotions she showed was so real, I couldn't help but really feel for her. The scene where she tore her diaries - ouch!

I take it this is the first time you've heard her scream that trademark, annoyingly high-pitched "GETOUTGETOUTGETOUT!!!" Tell me you still like her when she still does that on a regular basis over a year later.

How are you guys finding Angel by the way? No "S6" rants about it?

I do not watch Angel. Tried it for half a season, and decided it wasn't for me. I have watched all the cross-over episodes, though, but now that cross-overs are no longer possible, I see no need to put myself through the mess that is Angel. Now if only we could kill Anya and bring Cordy back to Buffy...  8)

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Jul 02, 2002 at 04:06 AM »
You have a point NY152 - I wouldn't want Dawn to scream like that every episode - and thank God she doesn't...uh wait...does she do it frequently in S6? If so... :-X

I like Anyanka but I see your point - I do want Cordelia back in Buffy too... :(

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Jul 02, 2002 at 11:51 AM »

I take it this is the first time you've heard her scream that trademark, annoyingly high-pitched "GETOUTGETOUTGETOUT!!!" Tell me you still like her when she still does that on a regular basis over a year later.

<chortle>

gumby I LOVE Blood Ties. I went on and on na at Pinoyslayer (you probably received the email) but the thing is that it's such an ingenious metaphor for adoption. Plus, the Dawn-Spike friendship is a riot, because they're both kids, emotionally. "Who's bad now?" Ngyark. Plus, thank God, Spike finally pushed Buffy out of the House of Memememe funk she's been in. It's not all about you, bïtch.

Seriously, despite all the stupid things she did (why on Earth did she disclose such delicate - not to mention otherworldly - information to Fugly Intern Ben?) the central image is still her standing, arms akimbo, with bleeding wrists, asking, "Is this blood?" So you can forgive, and understand.

You notice every episode after Riley left got better? It's funny how apart from Buffy and Xander (ahem. And I've got a theory about that) nobody really misses him.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Jul 02, 2002 at 01:31 PM »
Although I never liked the Riley Finn character of Marc Blucas, I do miss the guy. His story is even sadder than what Angel and Buffy had, don't you think? At least Buffy reciprocated Angel's feelings - Riley gave it his all and still it wasn't enough.

I have a question that has been nagging me since I fell into the Buffyverse - why did Joss choose the name "Buffy"? I couldn't find it anywhere - it sure doesn't sound like an intimidating (for a vampire slayer) nor does it sound serious too. Does it stand for something else or is it just "Buffy Anne Summers"?

NY152

« Reply #86 on: Jul 02, 2002 at 05:32 PM »

why did Joss choose the name "Buffy"? I couldn't find it anywhere - it sure doesn't sound like an intimidating (for a vampire slayer) nor does it sound serious too.

I never saw a direct reference to the choice of the name "Buffy" in particular, but I'm guessing the name just went well with his entire ironic concept of "the helpless blonde cheerleader-type who always gets killed in horror movies finally gets her revenge."

Listen to your commentary track/watch your DVD featurettes, gumby!  8)

P.S. - how's pokey?

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Jul 02, 2002 at 11:36 PM »
I did watch my DVD featurettes, NY152, and I do know about Joss Whedon's concept for the show ("the helpless blonde cheerleader blah blah blah") but he never did tell the origin of the name "Buffy".

Just wondering...that's all  :P

Uh...is the pokey question for me? Uh...who's pokey?

NY152

« Reply #88 on: Jul 03, 2002 at 12:16 AM »

Uh...is the pokey question for me? Uh...who's pokey?

Pokey is Gumby's horse.

Image of Pokey courtesy of Gumbyworld

You must be a different Gumby.   ;D

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Jul 03, 2002 at 08:27 AM »
So that's the red horse's name - I didn't know that! Actually, my "gumby" alias was actually derived from the X-Men's Gambit character. Far fetched, you say? Well, my friends and I were thinking of names to call ourselves based on the X-Men characters and I came up with "gumby", a derivative (or should I say bastardization) of Gambit.

My friends chose the names Johnny Black (from Jean Grey), Vogue (from Rogue), Tangerine (from Wolverine), Bicyclops (from Cyclops) and Jollibee (from Jubilee).

As you can see, I got the best name of all! ;D

Now if Joss could just explain why he chose the name "Buffy"...