Author Topic: Buffy The Vampire Slayer  (Read 31725 times)

Offline Holly Golightly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • impulsive. compulsive. insane
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:The Bronze, The Buffy the Vampire Slayer Thread
« Reply #90 on: Jul 03, 2002 at 11:46 AM »

Now if Joss could just explain why he chose the name "Buffy"...

Y'know, I've been wondering that myself. Specially now that everything's gotten so dramatic. I mean, there's Joyce with a brain tumor in the hospital, saying "My sweet, brave Buffy." I get yanked out of the moment talaga, because what kind of name is Buffy, anyway?

(Brainflash to the Season 4 ep "Something Blue" where an engaged Spike and Buffy talk about their wedding invitations <paraphrasing>:

B: So, are we going to use William the Bloody or just Spike? Cause either way it's going to look majorly weird.

S: Whereas the name "Buffy" gives it that touch of classic elegance.

B: What's wrong with "Buffy"?

Giles <blinded and horrified at the smoochy Spuffy>: SUUUCH a good question.

B: My mother gave me that name.

S: Your mother. Yeah, she's a genius. :) )

That said, pinakabagay sa kanya yung name nung season 1.

Re Riley the Useless: That's because you started in Season 5, when he seemed less contrived and more three-dimensional. I have written about this at length in my review of Out of My Mind at the Pinoyslayer TabRas board, if you'd care to see it. <Welcome to Holly Golightly's House of Mememememe>

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • The future rested on my shoulders...and I shrugged
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 05:17 PM »
 ;D Don't ask me how or where but I finally saw the season finales of S5 and S6!  ;D I am a happy camper!

The season finale of S6 is quite good! I wonder how they will resolve things in S7...

NY152

« Reply #92 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 05:29 PM »

Don't ask me how or where but I finally saw the season finales of S5 and S6!  ;D I am a happy camper!

Lemme get this straight... you're happy to see the season finales without seeing the rest of the season???

Hmm... we have a very different way of watching a show. No matter how badly I was waiting for the musical episode, the day I got my hands on a copy, I STILL waited and finished watching the other 4 episodes I hadn't seen that came before it.

Discipline!  ::)

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 05:40 PM »
Uh...I didn't say I didn't watch the episodes prior to the season finales NY152...  ;D

I just emphasized on the finales because they are (arguably) the best parts of the season.

I think S6 is okay - not at par with S5 definitely - but it didn't stink as much as the last season of, let's say, Melrose Place.

NY152

« Reply #94 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 05:52 PM »
Uh...I didn't say I didn't watch the episodes prior to the season finales NY152...  ;D

Oh my God! You watched ONE AND A HALF SEASONS in TWO DAYS???  :o

SPOILER ALERT:

I disagree with the Season Finale of S6 being "quite good", though. Saved by "I love you"??? I found that completely lame!
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2002 at 11:36 PM by NY152 »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 05:59 PM »
Ok - I didn't say I watched the entire sixth season ;D just those prior to the finales.

Since I've already seen half of S5, I did watch the rest of the season. All I can say is "sniff" - uh...that's not a spoiler, is it?

As for season 6, I skipped through the episodes and IMHO the only pertinent ones to watch are those near the actual finale. I mean, I got the story just by watching the 4 episodes prior to the finale.

My head hurt NY152  :-[ ...from the slew of episodes I had to watch AND the loss of Joss on the sixth (y'know what i mean)...

As for your spoiler...well, you have a point but I'm a sucker for those kinds of endings. Might not be in sync with the Buffy myth but...y'know...
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2002 at 06:02 PM by gumby »

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 06:13 PM »

Oh my God! You watched ONE AND A HALF SEASONS in TWO DAYS???  :o

SPOILER ALERT:

[color=#DDDDD]I disagree with the Season Finale of S6 ...[/color]

Thank you! I thought I was the only one that thought that! Not to get too spoilery, but hello, copout! I hosted a Buffython last month for the Pinoyslayers, and everyone was pissed off at it as well. Siguro osmosis, because I was very vocal about my annoyance at everything prior, during and after those episodes. ***[color=#DDDDD]Yellow crayon my ass.  The season should have ended with Smashed. Dead Things at the most.[/color]***

And OMG, gumby! How's your head? Buti hindi ka naduling. :)
« Last Edit: Jul 04, 2002 at 06:15 PM by Holly Golightly »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 07:19 PM »
Well, for starters Holly - duling na ako  ;D! Well, hindi naman but I do wear glasses...

And I just watched oh about twelve episodes in three days (Tuesday, Wednesday and today) so it wasn't so bad. As I said, I skipped on most of the season six episodes and concentrated on the finale instead. Once I get to see all of them, however, I'll let you guys know.

Well, okay I agree that it was a copout - however, aside from the ending, I was excited about the rest! I guess I'm in the minority but...oh well...

Hey, when's the next Buffython? What does it entail?  :)

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Jul 04, 2002 at 10:23 PM »
Just saw "Into The Woods" for the second time at Star World tonight (the first was at Ch23, of course). Feel so sorry for Riley...he really did love Buffy, didn't he?

Anyway, since Star World's nearing the mid-season mark, I just thought I'd share how Cinescape rated  episodes 1 to 11:

Buffy vs. Dracula - B
Real Me - C minus
The Replacement - C plus
Out Of My Mind - B minus
No Place Like Home - B
Family - A minus
A Fool For Love - A minus
Shadow - B
Listening To Fear - A minus
Into the Woods - A minus
Triangle - D minus

I generally agree with the ratings since I loved "Family" and "A Fool For Love" but I wished they gave "No Place Like Home" a higher mark (c'mon, it was the revelation of Dawn!).

;D

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Jul 05, 2002 at 05:24 PM »
Well, okay I agree that it was a copout - however, aside from the ending, I was excited about the rest! I guess I'm in the minority but...oh well...

Hey, when's the next Buffython? What does it entail?  :)

Blood sacrifice. Bwahahahahaha.

Kidding. All it entails is a bit of preparation on my end - I have to get my family out of the house para walang istorbo. Unless you can volunteer a larger space. :) Cause my house is tiny.  

We're not psychos (honest! I've had 15 of us at my house and everything) and I can bring my DVDs AND my DVD player.

Also, re the season 6 wrapup - You are in a divided majority. It got good reviews. But I think NY 152 and I share a brain about this. We expected better siguro. And <spoiler> [color=#DDDDD]it really WAS a copout, y'know.[/color]<end spoiler>
« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2002 at 05:26 PM by Holly Golightly »

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Occasionally, I'm callous and strange.
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Jul 05, 2002 at 11:59 PM »
it's nice to know that even if i'm not around to post as much, Holly will be there to say everything i ever wanted to say since we apparently share the same opinion about the show (except for spike  ;)
)

i definitely agree season 6 finale was such a cop out!

The only highlights for me in the finale were -->spoiler seeing Giles come back and be all yoda like and seeing willow kick buffy's whiny ass six ways to sunday!<--Spoiler

I wish I was lonely, Instead of just only...

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Jul 06, 2002 at 02:03 PM »
Well...what do you guys think should've happened with the season 6 finale? How should the story have ended?

I think it's safe to assume that everyone's favorite season finale here is season 2's? If I'm wrong, what are your top three?

I haven't seen the season finales of season 3 and 4 but for me, the first would be season 2, followed by season 5, and then season 6.

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jul 06, 2002 at 04:57 PM »
Over all my ratings for finales from best to worst would be 2-5/3-4-6. I would much rather take restless and primeval (which i think was the real finale) over season 6. Even season 4 which i used to loathe is starting to look better than season 6. I would take season 4's boring arc with good stand alone eps to season 6's soap opera any day.

my favorite season over all is season 3. It had a good arc and good stand-alones and the finale wasn't too bad (plus y'know, there was Faith). However, season 2 had the best arc in my opinion and a great finale. It just had a couple of clunky episodes that  i could have done without.

I would love to give my opinion on how to end season 6 but to fix it, i would have to change alot of season 6 as well. The way the season went just didn't gel with the supposed theme of "Growing up".

ok, babble over

edited to add something interesting about the "why did joss choes the name buffy question".  I just searched some baby name sites (obsesseive much?  ;) )and got these results.

www.parenthood.com/parent...ynames.cfm

Buffy / Female / Form of BUNNY. Little Rabbit

www.babynamelocator.com/

Buffy / female / Hebrew / God's promise

www.babycenter.com/babyname/

Buffy / Female / Form of BEVERLY - beaver meadow

www.babynamer.com/

Buffy / This girl's name is used in English. It is a nickname of Elizabeth.

THe last one is interesting because in an earlier episode (i think season 1) they had buffy's complete name as Elizabeth Anne Summers. Buffy would then naturally be a nickname for her and goes well with the hwole airhead cheerleader bit. I just have no idea why the changed her real name to Buffy Anne Summers in the latter seasons.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2002 at 05:07 PM by acidburn »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Jul 06, 2002 at 05:35 PM »
I think I should watch my season 1 episodes again, just to check if her name is indeed Elisabeth, acidburn. If not, maybe it's in the other seasons. Thanks for that info though.

I can't remember if I've watched any episode in season 3. I mean definitely in seasons 2 and 4, but I don't think I've seen Faith in action. I know I know - I missed a lot - so I'm glad that season's being released this winter.

NY152

« Reply #104 on: Jul 06, 2002 at 06:22 PM »
THe last one is interesting because in an earlier episode (i think season 1) they had buffy's complete name as Elizabeth Anne Summers.

I actually don't remember that. I DO remember that in an early episode (I, Robot... You, Jane) they flashed her name on a PC as "Buffy Summers", and flashed her birthday (10/24/80), which is several months before the now traditionally-celebrated midseason episode, which airs sometime every year in January.
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2002 at 12:08 AM by NY152 »

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Jul 06, 2002 at 11:06 PM »
well, i just realized  i'm mistaken. I did some surfing and  "Elizabeth Anne Summers" thing was from either an Urban legend or really innacurate Fan fic.  ;D

It's been Buffy Anne Summers Since day one apparently.

edited to add that PEOPLE news interviewed SMG and she denied the Britney rumors.  YAAY!

« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2002 at 12:03 AM by acidburn »

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Jul 12, 2002 at 12:56 PM »
Goddamnit. I just got the first batch of spoilers and I'm not happy. I think I will stay true to my boycott. S7 is giving off sucky vibes and it hasn't even started yet. :(
</end rant>

acidburn - You were the victim of what my people know as the fanwank. :) And no, Angel's real name is not Liam O'Connor, and Spike's real name isn't William Walthrop.

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Jul 12, 2002 at 02:51 PM »
Uh...what are the spoilers, Holly? If it's too much for this thread, can you PM them to me? Thanks :D

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #108 on: Jul 12, 2002 at 04:32 PM »
just a quick drive by.... beware spoilery for season 6

UGH! just read some of the fan reports from the Toronto Comic Con where Amber Benson was a guest. Apparently she's known that her character was gonna die for the past two years. Crap. I'm disappointed at Joss and the rest of ME.Also she hasn't watched the end of season six from villains  until the end 'cause she thought it was too violent. She's disappointed that her character died the way she did and she's now afraid of standing beside 2nd floor windows  ;D. Also it looks like her character isn't going to be back for the earlier episodes since she's currently on a road trip accorss the east coast.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Jul 12, 2002 at 05:04 PM »

Uh...what are the spoilers, Holly? If it's too much for this thread, can you PM them to me? Thanks :D

Emailed it na!

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Jul 13, 2002 at 12:40 PM »
Thanks Holly!

I saw the episode Triangle at Star World last Thursday. I didn't hate it but I didn't like it either.

The good points:

a. Willow and Anya fighting over Xander - I felt that, given the history of Willow and Xander, it is in Anya's character to be jealous of that history. Mix that with her "innocence" and "tactlessness", I guess it was a long time coming.

b. Buffy and Dawn's talk over Riley. Dawn was perhaps the only character (well, probably aside from Xander) that was close to Riley and I was glad she missed him.

The bad points:

a. While it was good to see a troll in the show, it kinda felt...weird y'know?

b. Buffy in a convent considering to be a nun, Buffy breaking down with Tara, Buffy panicking over the troll's comments over Xander and Anya - where did that come from? The seriousness of Buffy and Dawn's talk was almost obliterated by these! The scenes were almost silly!

Oh well...Checkpoint is up next! :D

Offline pagan

• Collector
  • grr..arg
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Jul 14, 2002 at 08:02 PM »
"Crush" tomorrow night on Studio 23!

I can't wait.  And Holly says the promos are cute.  I haven't seen it but I hope to tonight because I'm watching "Will and Grace" and "The $treet".
Join the Pinoyslayers, the most kick-ass club of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fans in the country.

Offline acidburn

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #112 on: Jul 15, 2002 at 05:10 AM »
oh hey! just finally caught up with my buffy news.

spoiler-->YAAY! more Anthony Stewart Head in Season 7! wooo hoo! oh and james marsters is losing the blond hair. otherwise, from the spoilers, the season doesn't sound terribly exciting to me.  ::)

and for people who like posters, they're actually selling the poster they made for the musical. cool!

http://www.allposters.com/gallery.asp?aid=908269&item=309193

i wanna get me one.

p.s. They just announced when the season will start airing --> Sept.24, 2002.  
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2002 at 11:45 AM by acidburn »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Jul 15, 2002 at 04:55 PM »
MINOR SPOILER

Thanks acidburn - been wondering when's S7 gonna be shown.

I've seen about 3/4s of S6 during the long weekend and I think it's okay. Yes, it's dark and depressing but considering the circumstances, I guess it's appropriate. As acidburn quoted below:

The way the season went just didn't gel with the supposed theme of "Growing up".

I don't think "growing up" was the theme of S6 - I think it was "what the heck happened to us and how do we deal with it." The storylines might be confusing and the characters might be a bit lost but I think S6 is an echo of what happened in the previous season.

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #114 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 02:25 PM »

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 03:48 PM »
Thanks for the spoilers, Holly - I am now officially excited about season 7! Based on the spoilers, I have a feeling S7 will be competing with S2 as the series' greatest season! However, I hope that's not because S7 will be the series' last (as rumors indicate) :(

I do hope Sarah Michelle Gellar and Emma Caufield would renew their contracts after S7. Or if Sarah doesn't, I hope the series would still continue (probably renamed) with a certain dark-haired slayer as the lead this time... :)

Offline Holly Golightly

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 05:08 PM »

Or if Sarah doesn't, I hope the series would still continue (probably renamed) with a certain dark-haired slayer as the lead this time... :)

I hope you mean Faith and not :eek: Dawn. :)

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 06:11 PM »
Well, as hinted in the spoiler, they're planning to bring back Faith (or rather WANT to bring her back) for season 7. And I, for one, say YEA! In the handful of episodes I saw Eliza in, I immediately fell in love with her!

Now, hopefully, if Sarah doesn't renew her contract for S8,  I wouldn't mind watching Faith, the Vampire Slayer.

Offline X-®an™

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #118 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 09:37 PM »
 ::) Count me in for Season 1 of Faith, the Vampire Slayer  ;D

8) X-Ran 269 8)

Offline gumby

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Jul 16, 2002 at 10:31 PM »
I wonder why Faith only lasted one season in the series - anyone knows? Or Drusilla - why only one season? I mean Spike came back and became a regular, why not Faith or Dru?

And what about Oz - why can't he ever return to the series?