Author Topic: What is the best speaker you have heard?  (Read 1717 times)

Offline bruquee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
What is the best speaker you have heard?
« on: Jul 31, 2004 at 07:26 PM »
Probably the best speaker that I have heard is the JM Lab Grande Utopia. Amazing sound.  Effortless non-fatiguing highs.  Sweet uncolored midrange.  And deep authoritative bass.  Certainly beats top speakers that I have heard over the years from Apogee, Quad, and Martin Logan.  Can just sit in front of them for hours without getting tired of the sound.  Don't know if this is offered by anyone in the Phils though.  Got to audition them during a visit to Sound by Singer.  A snooty shop but more accomodating if you are an old customer.

Of course it comes at a price.  The dealer was quoting something like US $70,000 for a pair (would have to save for a quite a while for that kind of price).  Moreover, each speaker is massive and weighs almost 500 lbs. And of course, you have to use ultra expensive amplification to drive them.  The dealer was using some high end German amp (Burmester) that cost over $20k to power the speakers.   
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2004 at 09:28 AM by bruquee »

Offline accastil

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • DVD Guru
  • music and me
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: What is the best speaker you have heard?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 06:40 PM »
they do have this ready for audition at shangrila mall, a/vDI store, right next to sights and sounds and paradigm shops...they are using mark levinson electronics to drive these and yes i agree, they really sound good. very good in fact.
im allan - 09178087173

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 11:13 PM »
Aside from being a B&W fan, I've always been a Focal (JM Lab) fanatic, even before they were distributed by Audio Visual Drivers, Inc.  Listening to them is simply heavenly.

So why did I opt to go for a set of B&W?  A/VDI refused to conduct a home audition for me (back then anyway) which Toyama happily did, bringing 2 sets of different B&W models and 2 different amplifiers.  If all things are equal, it's the customer service that spells the difference.  ;)  Besides, the 1st rule in our hobby is "audition" first (and as much as possible, do it in the actual environment where the equipment will be setup).

Jimmy

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2006 at 11:40 PM »
B&W is known for excellent after-sales customer service.

Offline MAtZTER

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • More POWER to your HT! literally ...
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2006 at 05:36 PM »
The Gryphon speakers during the last '05 audio show @ 6million pesos.  ;D

looks like huge Grand Utopias
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2006 at 05:37 PM by MAtZTER »

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 09:46 AM »
#26 pic from top of qguy's Nov Hi-Fi show gallery. Yep the Altec with the horn tweeter sticking out the middle of the 15" driver and the huge kamagong trays for tweeters sitting on top of it. You got to hear it to believe it because the sound was unbelievable.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL

Offline akyatbundok

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2006 at 11:51 AM »
i second the Altec in TRodt's room..... best sound for me in this & last year's audio show.
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2006 at 03:24 PM by akyatbundok »

Offline Pittri M.D.

• Apprentice
  • Trust your ears and your own ears alone. Period.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2006 at 11:49 PM »
A pair of Martin Logan SL3's (Electrostatic Hybrid) paired with a Tube amplifier. I forgot what source they used already, maybe because I was so mesmerized by the sound those tall babies were producing.

http://www.stereophile.com/loudspeakerreviews/145/index.html

Grabe... Ibang klase! The best I have ever heard so far. Bar None.

P.S. I wonder how the B&W Prestige Model Nautilus sounds like?
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2006 at 12:48 PM by Pittri M.D. »
True Love for Sound & Music is Primary, Equipments are Incidental

Offline du1mij

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 08:31 AM »
I'm still a Focal fan but was anyone able to audition the Hyperionaudio bookshelf speakers tandemed with the BAT pre-amp and BAT amp in the Architectural Audio room?  Man, that was impressive!

Offline wraith

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 10:08 AM »
For me, its the Usher Audio CP8871

This may not be as high-profile as the others mentioned above, but it may have sounded heavenly due to the fact that it was paired with the electronics it was voiced with:  it was an all-Usher system... from CDP, pre amp, to power amp.

Since then, that idea of pairing speakers with the equipment it was voiced with (or the closest alternative) made sense to me.  So now I always match equipment from the speakers down, and not the other way around.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2006 at 10:16 AM by wraith »

Online qguy

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Usher/Rythmik/S
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 10:22 AM »
Thats what I use sa bahay !!!....ganyan na  ganyan !!!

ganyan yung brand..... ganyan yung tweeter, ganyan yung mid woofer...hehehe yun nga lang... ;D

For me, its the Usher Audio CP8871

This may not be as high-profile as the others mentioned above, but it may have sounded heavenly due to the fact that it was paired with the electronics it was voiced with:  it was an all-Usher system... from CDP, pre amp, to power amp.

Since then, that idea of pairing speakers with the equipment it was voiced with (or the closest alternative) made sense to me.  So now I always match equipment from the speakers down, and not the other way around.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2006 at 10:24 AM by qguy »

Offline lithium_deuteride

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 207
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2006 at 04:21 PM »
Beautiful speakers those Ushers.  Shape reminds me of that famous Dubai hotel - Burj al Arab.
Lyra | Nottingham | Musical Fidelity | CEC | SOtM | Chord | Accuphase | Harbeth | REL