DVD Forum > DVD-ROM & DVD Backup

DVD-R Media Quality and Compatibility

<< < (2/56) > >>

firewired:
Generic DVD-R: ENZO

1. FNX 102 (Fornex)
2. Blank (no label), inkjet printable white top. Identified as DVD-R 4X F102 along inner ring.
3. CD-R King Gilmore
4. Php11.00 per piece
5. Rated at 4x, burned at 2x
6. No errors on DVDInfoPro and Nero 6
7. Successful playback on:
- Pioneer DVD Writer A04 (media verified)
- Pioneer DV-266

8. Notes: Used less than HALF the space, so I don't know if the quality holds up until the edge of the disc. Enzo DVD-Rs come packaged in those neat 25-disc cake boxes.

UPDATE & WARNING: I do NOT recommend the ENZO generics. You cannot fill-up the disc. I tested a full backup at 4.38 GB and there were multiple errors towards the outer part of the disc even when burning at 1x. The only practical advantage of this brand is the printable top.

firewired:
Generic DVD-R: CD-R KING

1. Fornex101
2. Black label with white, rectangle pattern as design (ala film). DVD-R 4X F101A along inner ring.
3. CD-R King Gilmore
4. Php11.00 per piece
- Pioneer DV-266 (full film viewed, no skipping and/or macro-blocking errors)

8. Notes: After my bad experience with the Fornex FNX102 line, I reverted back to the F101A series for my non-critical internal backups. Burning at 2x, I didn't experience any problems. So far, so good.

number1:
BRANDED DVD-R: MEMOREX with "Is it live or is it Memorex" label

1. CMC MAG. AF1 (CMC Magnetics)
2. Silver writable top
3. CD-R King GILMORE
4. Php39.00 per piece
5. Claimed burn speed is 4x ; burned at 2x and 4x
6. No error detected using NEC 2510A and Lite-on dvd rom
NEC 2510A and Lite-on dvd rom
Played well in Philips DVP-642
8. Notes: This media is highly recommendable. Perfect substitute to the Ritek G04's.  ;D

Had a disc that was not playable on the Philips DVP-642 because I burned it while my computer was downloading, etc. btw the pc is a slow pentium III. To achieve good burns, in my case, I reboot the computer, turn off all background programs as well as screen savers and have no other programs run other than the burn software (nero burning rom). 

firewired:
Generic DVD-R: RITEK

1. RITEKG03
2. Plain silver top. DR5L16-00388 along inner ring writable side.
3. CD-R King Greenhills (2/F)
4. Php69.00 per piece
5. Rated at 2x, burned at 1x
- Pioneer DV-266 (full film viewed, no skipping and/or macro-blocking errors)
- Pioneer DV-535 (full film viewed, no skipping and/or macro-blocking errors)

8. Notes: Bought this sometime in early 2003. Hasn't been available in this configuration since then. Expensive compared to generic prices today but my backups are still in great working condition despite handling by kids, dust and a lot of surface scratches. Just verified one of the discs last night -- good as new!

firewired:
Generic DVD-R: ATERRA Media

1. FORNEX101 (Fornex)
2. Printable white top. Identified as DVD-R 4X F101A along inner ring of writable side.
3. CD-R King Gilmore
4. Php11.00 per piece
6. No errors on DVDInfoPro, Nero 6, and DVDDecrypter
- Pioneer DV-266
- Pioneer DV-535-K

8. Notes:

ATERRA, according to the CDRKing salesgirl, is the brand of choice in Quiapo. I bought 10 pieces which came packaged in a cake box. As my past experience with Fornex's "A" line (note the identification strip along the inner ring), these discs performed flawlessly at 2x with my Pioneer A04 writer.

I visited Fornex's website and discovered that they classify their generic media according to 4 grades ranging from A to D. Doesn't matter what brand the discs are sold under. I'm guessing that the ATERRAs are better than the ENZOs simply because they use discs from the Grade A line.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version