Author Topic: The DAVID LETTERMAN Thread  (Read 29777 times)

Offline Mephisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Watch more TV
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The DAVID LETTERMAN Thread
« on: Apr 30, 2003 at 10:46 AM »
Enough of my lurking -- Ain't it time this cool forum had a thread on Dave?

To start off, shows this week!

Monday, April 28
Ashton Kutcher (That 70s Show)
"Jungle" Jack Hanna
Survivor Castaway, Alex Bell

Tuesday, April 29
Ellen DeGeneres
John Malkovich (The Dancer Upstairs)
Sitting-in, Sam Moore

Wednesday, April 30
Charlize Theron (The Italian Job)
Sex therapist, Sue Johanson (Talk Sex)
Wilco + The Minus 5

Thursday, May 1
Stupid Pet Tricks
Bernie Mac (The Bernie Mac Show)

Friday, May 2
Halle Berry (X2)
Don Rickles

It's the May sweeps and Dave's pulling all the stops.  Some upcoming guests in May according to the newsletter:

Jim Carrey, Renee Zellweger, Albert Brooks, Hugh Jackman, Kelly Ripa, Amy Sedaris, Will & Grace stars Megan Mullally & Sean Hayes, Marilyn Manson, Kelly Clarkson, Jada Pinkett Smith, David Hyde Pierce, Mark Wahlberg and more.

Like the rock & roll? Tune in to catch Wilco & the Minus 5, Good Charlotte, The Jayhawks, Libertines, Widespread Panic, Jack Johnson, Chevelle, Avril Lavigne and more. And for you reality-TV fans, we've got a parade of losers from both Survivor: The Amazon and American Idol.

Like it matters.  When did we ever watch Dave for the guests?

All Hail Dave! The First Name in Late Night Entertainment!

PS. Until further notice from E! Philippines, Dave's now on at 9:00 pm Tuesday to Saturday, same day delayed broadcast.  We get the gags fresh!
« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2003 at 11:12 AM by Mephisto »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
Re:The DAVID LETTERMAN Thread
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2003 at 11:38 AM »
Hello! Glad you could join us! :)  More on one of our favorite late-night host here in this thread ----> TV Talk Shows.

With the new schedule on E!, I have not been able to watch Dave lately. :(

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003 at 12:04 PM »

With the new schedule on E!, I have not been able to watch Dave lately. :(

I know what you mean.  I've called the attention of E Philippines about this, they said they'll uh see what they can do.

In the meantime...

Jungle Jack Hannah with a Shingle-backed Skink.  And a reptile the name of which escapes me at the moment. Bada bing! ;D;D;D

And the infamous box. hehe.  

« Last Edit: May 01, 2003 at 12:09 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline kenjase

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2003 at 04:19 PM »
Wednesday's episode (aired Thursday here) was great.  It was a lot of fun.

I've always thought Charlize Theron, very beautiful, was bland and dull.  I was surprised that she's quite charming and bubbly.

The sex therapist Sue Johanson part was quite hilarious.  I didn't think she would be that straightforward and I ended up blushing, giggling, and laughing out loud.  I especially liked the story she told about one of the callers on her show.  The caller asked her if it was okay to use peanut butter (with the jar) for self-gratification.  One of the show's directors/producers said to her, through her earphone, "ask him if it's smooth or crunchy."  ;D

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2003 at 06:42 PM »
i've been having a hard time catching Letterman at 9:30. super alanganin naman ng oras! i mean there's a reason why it's called The Late Show -- it's not supposed to be on primetime. i hope E will bring it back to its original timeslot.

i miss dave.

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2003 at 09:52 PM »
I know what you mean.  I've called the attention of E Philippines about this, they said they'll uh see what they can do.

In the meantime...

Jungle Jack Hannah with a Shingle-backed Skink.  And a reptile the name of which escapes me at the moment. Bada bing! ;D;D;D

And the infamous box. hehe.  

I didn't quite catch the name on the box. What was it?

Yes, Charlize Theron was surprisingly witty and chatty compared to the last time she was there.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2003 at 12:01 AM »
I didn't quite catch the name on the box. What was it?

The box used to contain tampons.  It said something like "20 Packs Tampons".  It was Dave who noticed it, and Jungle Jack was irked.  He said somebody from his staff's gonna pay for it.  Nyuknyuknyuk.

I read from the Wahoo Gazette that Calvert deForest made a walk through in one of this week's shows.  Glad he's still alive.  Mad I missed it. Darn this new timeslot.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2003 at 12:06 AM by JdelaCruz »

Offline Mephisto

• Apprentice
  • Watch more TV
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2003 at 12:09 AM »
All new this week!

Monday, May 5
Kelly Ripa
Good Charlotte
Survivor Castoff Christy Smith

Tuesday, May 6
Stupid Human Tricks
Hugh Jackman (X2: X-Men United)
Kelly Clarkson

Wednesday, May 7
David Hyde Pierce (Frasier)
Rube Goldberg Contest Winners
Sitting-in with the Band, Ziggy Marley

Thursday, May 8
Megan Mullally (Will & Grace)
Marilyn Manson

Friday, May 9
Albert Brooks (The In-Laws)
The Libertines

I didn't know Marilyn Manson was still alive.

Hey, Ziggy Marley.  It's not that often we hear the CBS orchestra doing reggae.

Megan Mullally will be the first guest-host to come back as guest.  Likely she'll talk about the ordeal.  Maybe Dave will make her sing.

The Parade of Losers continues.  Do we still care?  Did we before? What happened to the American Idol version? What's Kelly Clarkson doing here?

Never saw Albert Brooks with Dave before.  The match up looks fun though.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003 at 12:12 AM by Mephisto »

Offline cbs

• Collector
  • Don't be so humble. You are not that great.(GMeir)
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2003 at 12:19 AM »

dude, is this the schedule of airing on E! Philippines?

Offline Mephisto

• Apprentice
  • Watch more TV
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2003 at 12:25 AM »

dude, is this the schedule of airing on E! Philippines?

Yep. Tuesday to Saturday. 9 pm. Same-day delayed telecast.  We used to get Dave at 10:00 pm PLUS Live Via Satellite broadcast at 1:00 in the afternoon, before E Philippines reprogrammed.  I don't mind not having the afternoon show anymore but I hope they at least move Dave back to 10:00 pm .  The current time slot is too crowded with prime-time shows on other channels as it is.

Offline cbs

• Collector
  • Don't be so humble. You are not that great.(GMeir)
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2003 at 12:29 AM »

Walang replays ito?  ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2003 at 12:32 PM »
hey hey hey!

is it true? Dave's throwing stuff off the roof on monday's show?  man its been a long time since he did this! ah memories... ;D

Offline Mephisto

• Apprentice
  • Watch more TV
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2003 at 09:57 PM »

Walang replays ito?  ;D

No replays nowadays.  There was a time when E replayed Friday's (aired here Saturday) show on Monday. Imagine having Dave 12 times a week then.  Now it's down to five.  And dang that new time slot.  I keep missing episodes! Arrrgh!

Offline patring

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2003 at 12:17 AM »
Yes, I keep forgetting that new timeslot too.  I always remember just before 10:00.  :(

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2003 at 08:33 AM »
Bring back DAVE on the 10:00 PM Slot!!!!!!! >:(

Offline papichulo

• Apprentice
  • I give a Zorro snap to that!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2003 at 11:23 AM »
I love this show! It's where I first saw and heard John Mayer perform.

HBO made a TV movie about the story behind the Jay Leno/Dave Letterman rivalry after Johnny Carson retired, anybody saw this? I forgot the title.

But I like Conan's show specially the insult comic dog.

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2003 at 01:04 PM »

HBO made a TV movie about the story behind the Jay Leno/Dave Letterman rivalry after Johnny Carson retired, anybody saw this? I forgot the title.

The HBO movie was entitled The Late Shift, and it was based on a book written by a reporter from the NY Times.

The book/movie was very controversial when they were released. Helen Kushner (the Kathy Bates character) filed cases against the author of the book, but she died before the film was made. I understand that Letterman was also particularly incensed by the film. Letterman's public criticisms were confined to the "bad acting" on the part of the actor who played him, but I think the film touched a raw nerve regarding the invasion of his privacy.

Incidentally, I have read somewhere that in some showings, the epilogue of The Late Shift was not shown at all. Which actually defeats the purpose of the film. The epilogue of The Late Shift is one of the saddest, and most mordantly wicked endings of any movie I have ever seen, and a lot of that movie's kick comes from that ending.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2003 at 04:36 PM »

ahh Conan, a worthy replacement to Dave, outstanding Emmy host, and proven himself as one of the best talk show hosts around... for me to poop on!!!  God I miss Triumph. ;D  and don't forget the Masturbating Bear!  

PS. E!Philippines phone nos. are 813-8488/89.  call em up and raise a stink! Tell them the 9pm time slot sucks! if they realize theyre losing viewers maybe they'll listen.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2003 at 04:41 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline slowhand

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2003 at 06:19 PM »
The epilogue of The Late Shift is one of the saddest, and most mordantly wicked endings of any movie I have ever seen, and a lot of that movie's kick comes from that ending.

Please tell us how it ended, gurang. I'm not sure if the version I saw had the ending you describe.

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2003 at 06:44 PM »
Please tell us how it ended, gurang. I'm not sure if the version I saw had the ending you describe.

The ending I'm referring to is the epilogue. After Dave has been signed by CBS, there is a shot of Warren Littlefield of NBC, expressing hope that they did the right thing by sticking with Leno. Then the epilogue begins. It starts out by noting that The Late Show debuts on CBS to record ratings, then consistently beats The Tonight Show in the weekly ratings. But the next slide adds the caveat: ...until the day Jay Leno guested Hugh Grant, fresh from the Divine Brown scandal. Since then, The Tonight Show has beaten The Late Show consistently in the ratings." (or words to the effect). A series of slides then pictures various CBS executives (portrayed in the film as having masterfully negotiated to steal Dave away from NBC), with captions pointing out how each subsequently either resigned or was fired from CBS. The last slide then shows NBC's Warren Littlefield (portrayed as a putz in the film), with the caption, "Warren Littlefield, to this day, remains head of programming at NBC".

This epilogue works so well because it runs so contrary to how the film had been building up until before this epilogue. I also consider it doubly tragic, considering how much I worship Dave and am allergic to Leno. Deleting this ending (as it had allegedly been done) removes the ironic twist in the tale.

Offline papichulo

• Apprentice
  • I give a Zorro snap to that!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2003 at 11:09 PM »
I just wish the producers gag Paul Schaefer because he is sooooo not funny. It's a good thing Dave knows how to pick up from this guy's poor comedic abilities.

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2003 at 12:21 AM »
he's much better than that black-what's-his-name on leno though. now THAT guy has no sense of humor whatsoever.

speaking of sidekicks, andy was my favorite  ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2003 at 12:53 PM »
true, paul sometimes falls a little short delivering the yukyuks but as a musical director he's miles ahead of the competition.  to quote dave, day in and day out, the best part of the show is listening to paul and the band.  

and notice how when guests are introduced paul plays them in with some song that's sort of connected to the guest in some way.  example - jungle jack hannah -- 'house of the rising sun' by the animals.  

plus, he wrote 'it's raining men'! -- there you go.

i hear during commercial breaks the band really takes control and play like they're in concert in some stadium.

speaking of the band, did you guys catch ziggy marley play with them last night?  man that was awesome! and i have to agree with dave, his voice is this close to his old man's.  it's like he's still alive.  if a new compilation of late show music comes up, i bet this ziggy performance would be in it. you heard it here first.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003 at 12:54 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2003 at 01:56 PM »
I like Paul. I understand though why many people don't get him. It's also quite difficult to explain why I do.

When Dave started out with the post-Tonight Show time slot at NBC (the spot Conan holds right now), he sought out to make the "anti-talk show", a concept that was fresh way back then. He was notorious then for his refusal to kiss celebrity ass, for being openly contentious with his celebrity guests or forcing them to do decidedly un-showbiz things. That was the new gimmick then, and it worked. However, for the choice of a sidekick, Dave decided to go way over to the other side and get somebody who'd represent showbiz to the extreme. Paul Schaffer was that someone. Overly glitzy, fawning, vaguely effeminate, somebody who'd exude showbiz by his very look, walk and talk. The match-up was decidedly uncomplementary, but the humor derived out of the pairing arose from the incongruity of the match.

I think the contrast became more muted as Dave took over the earlier time slot and mellowed. However, it is still there. I find Paul funny because he seems perpetually out of the loop, apt to say things that are neither here or there, or painfully obvious. It is because he doesn't jibe right with the proceedings that I find him funny. Some people find this sort of incongruity funny, and some don't, and it is not a question of better taste, but different taste.

I think Max Weinberg, to an extent, also employs that sense that he does not belong to eke out humor. But in Max's case, he projects an aura of contempt, that doing this talk show is beneath him. That's why Max segments are often more pointed (and funnier, IMHO) than any other sidekick segments.

And Kevin Eubanks of the Tonight Show has no personality, just like Leno. It is a case of the bland leading the bland.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2003 at 04:16 PM »
I get Paul. Now I feel really weird when you all say he isn't funny.  I find him really funny. :-\  

But there's nobody like Monty. ;)  She's very pretty, she's witty and she's got a cool job. :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2003 at 04:17 PM by CrUzSACK »

Offline Mrs. T

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SALABABIZ !!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2003 at 09:21 PM »
Like him too... Think he's a nice complement to Dave.

Offline Mephisto

• Apprentice
  • Watch more TV
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2003 at 11:42 AM »
From last night, a special top ten:

TOP TEN: Things You Don't Know About My Child.
And to present tonight's top ten list, Ten Celebrities' Moms.[/i]

Helping out tonight:
#10. Jason Kidd's mother, Anne:
 "After they lost to the Knicks, I grounded Jason for 6 weeks."

#9. Britney Spears' mom, Lynne:
"I don't know how many times I've had to say, 'Britney, go back upstairs and put on something revealing.'"

#8. The mother of Jack Black, Judy:
"How my son isn't working in a Home Depot, I'll never understand."

#7. Keanu Reeves' Mom, Patric:
"I have photos of Mr. Matrix dressed like a ballerina."

#6. The mother of Serena and Venus Williams, Oracene: "I'd say, 'Hi' but they're watching Leno."

#5. Alec, Billy, Stephen, and Daniel Baldwin's mom, Carol:
 "Even I don't know which one is which."

#4. Tony Hawk's mother, Nancy:
 "His first words? 'Dude'!";

#3. Tom Hanks' mom, Janet:
"It's been years since the movie, but he still talks to the damn volleyball."

#2. The mother of Johnny Knoxville, Lamoyne:
 "He may be a crazy jackass, but at home he's a sweet, kind-hearted jackass."

#1. Dave's mom, Dorothy:
 "He used to pull that 'shingles' thing to get out of mowing the lawn."

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2003 at 11:47 AM by Mephisto »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2003 at 01:39 AM »
that top ten was hilarious! are they replaying it again?

and for the record, i like paul too. i think he's the perfect antidote to dave. ;D monty is hit or miss for me.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2003 at 08:08 AM »

TOP TEN: Things You Don't Know About My Child.
And to present tonight's top ten list, Ten Celebrities' Moms.[/i]

Helping out tonight:
#10. Jason Kidd's mother, Anne:
 "After they lost to the Knicks, I grounded Jason for 6 weeks."

#9. Britney Spears' mom, Lynne:
"I don't know how many times I've had to say, 'Britney, go back upstairs and put on something revealing.'"

#8. The mother of Jack Black, Judy:
"How my son isn't working in a Home Depot, I'll never understand."

#7. Keanu Reeves' Mom, Patric:
"I have photos of Mr. Matrix dressed like a ballerina."

#6. The mother of Serena and Venus Williams, Oracene: "I'd say, 'Hi' but they're watching Leno."

#5. Alec, Billy, Stephen, and Daniel Baldwin's mom, Carol:
 "Even I don't know which one is which."

#4. Tony Hawk's mother, Nancy:
 "His first words? 'Dude'!";

#3. Tom Hanks' mom, Janet:
"It's been years since the movie, but he still talks to the d**n volleyball."

#2. The mother of Johnny Knoxville, Lamoyne:
 "He may be a crazy jackass, but at home he's a sweet, kind-hearted jackass."

#1. Dave's mom, Dorothy:
 "He used to pull that 'shingles' thing to get out of mowing the lawn."

;D ;D ;D

I haven't seen Letterman since the change in schedule. Thanks for posting this! Funny! ;D Made my morning!

Are the moms actually on the show?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2003 at 08:09 AM by CrUzSACK »

Offline Mephisto

• Apprentice
  • Watch more TV
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2003 at 10:45 PM »
Shows this week:  All new. All Dave!

Monday, May 12
Stupid Pet Tricks
Survivor Winner

Tuesday, May 13
Rescued POWs, David Williams and Ronald Young
Jada Pinkett Smith (Matrix Reloaded)
The Jayhawks

Wednesday, May 14
Sean Hayes (Will & Grace)
Avril Lavigne

Thursday, May 15
Renee Zellweger (Down With Love)
70 year-old "Gridiron Granny," Charlotte Chambers
Jack Johnson
CBS Mailbag

Friday, May 16
Nas

Yep, CrUzSACK, the moms were all there.  The biggest applause of course went to Dave's Mom.  After that, Dave gave them all flowers.  I think this is the second year they did this.

Hey sungit serious doubts on a replay.  But if you want another look, and for those of you who missed it, I'm sure it will be up on the website soon.  I'll post the link.

Dave's got the babes this week. Renee's first appearance since Chicago. Jada Pinkett Smith is always fun and is a friend of the show courtesy of Will.  Leno got Keanu last week, Dave's got Jada this week, wonder if Carrie Ann Moss will be doing the rounds for Matrix.

Expect some additions to the lineup as the week goes by.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2003 at 10:47 PM by Mephisto »