Author Topic: The DAVID LETTERMAN Thread  (Read 29782 times)

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:The DAVID LETTERMAN Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2003 at 01:35 AM »
thanks dude! what i'm really looking forward to is Stupid Pet Tricks which i always found funny. hope i can catch it tomorrow (damn you E!)

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2003 at 04:44 PM »
heard Kevin James will be on tonight also.  one of the coolest fat dudes around.

at the risk of being redundant and superfluous, let me repeat it again one more time for the second time around:

E!Philippines phone nos. are 813-8488/89. let's all of us call em up and raise a stink! tell them the 9pm time slot sucks!

Offline Mephisto

• Apprentice
  • Watch more TV
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2003 at 10:00 PM »
Hey peeps, here's the link, on-line on demand.:

The Late Show CELEBRITY MOTHERS TOP TEN 2003

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2003 at 10:15 PM by Mephisto »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2003 at 01:38 AM »
at the risk of being redundant and superfluous, let me repeat it again one more time for the second time around:

E!Philippines phone nos. are 813-8488/89. let's all of us call em up and raise a stink! tell them the 9pm time slot sucks!

i've been meaning to do this you know. so sick of missing the show! i missed it again tonight! CURSES!

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2003 at 12:17 PM »
hey sungit, hey pipols, looks like we have graver reason to call E!Philippines.

inquirer (entertainment section, page A32) reports that E!Philippines might be closing down by the end of the month, although the same article quotes an RMN executive that the closure will be temporary, as they will in fact be going to hollywood on their annual program buying trip to scout for new programs for local airing.  plus, the E! franchise is going to expire.

there's a picture of Dave and a related article at the bottom titled 'Save E! Philippines.'  Dave has a strong following here -- that much comes across and we hope it reaches RMN management.

I hope to God they don't let go of Letterman!  Perhaps they can drop the E! franchise, go back to being "CTV31", air a few noteworthy E! programs and other stuff, and STILL AIR DAVE!

let's keep our fingers crossed and let our voices be heard.  call E! and give them feedback. won't hurt eh?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2003 at 12:21 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2003 at 01:59 PM »
  Will it float?        ;D

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2003 at 02:00 PM »
I heard that E! Philippines will be going of the air temporarily but I don't know for  how long.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2003 at 02:03 PM by RMN »

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
Save David Letterman!!!
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2003 at 02:18 PM »
hey sungit, hey pipols, looks like we have graver reason to call E!Philippines.

inquirer (entertainment section, page A32) reports that E!Philippines might be closing down by the end of the month, although the same article quotes an RMN executive that the closure will be temporary, as they will in fact be going to hollywood on their annual program buying trip to scout for new programs for local airing.  plus, the E! franchise is going to expire.

there's a picture of Dave and a related article at the bottom titled 'Save E! Philippines.'  Dave has a strong following here -- that much comes across and we hope it reaches RMN management.

I hope to God they don't let go of Letterman!  Perhaps they can drop the E! franchise, go back to being "CTV31", air a few noteworthy E! programs and other stuff, and STILL AIR DAVE!

let's keep our fingers crossed and let our voices be heard.  call E! and give them feedback. won't hurt eh?

I understand that E! Philippines phone numbers are 813-8488/89. Can somebody else provide a mailing address? Snail and e-mail.

I think it would be fairly convenient for most of us to e-mail or call E! as an expression of support, and to let them know that the Dave fanbase is a sizeable, vocal group. However, I think it will impact E! Philippines more if a "more pain-staking" effort can be organized by the fans. How feasible would it be organize and collect actual signatures to petition E! Philippines to ensure that Letterman return (or never leave)?

Or, another alternative would be to purchase a sizeable (half-page to whole page) newspaper ad space. Perhaps this effort can be complemented by an exhortation that readers clip the ad and mail a copy of the same to E! Philippines.

If a visible fan effort is mounted, then E! Philippines may be assured to retain Dave. Or, in the alternative that E! will be incapable of retaining Dave, such effort may convince another station (such as Studio 23) that airing Dave is a worthwhile investment.

Organized fan action helped ensure the survival of such shows as Star Trek, MST3K, NewsRadio, and several others. We already lost Conan, and I sure as well won't accept losing Dave without putting up a fight.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2003 at 02:19 PM by gurang »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2003 at 02:23 PM »
Here's  the article:

TOO 'HIGH-END'
E! Philippines closure
'temporary': RMN execs

Posted: 10:29 PM (Manila Time) | May 13, 2003
By Marinel R. Cruz
Inquirer News Service

OFFICIALS of E! Entertainment Television Philippines will make their annual trip to Hollywood tomorrow, Thursday, to look for new and better programs to beef up its programming, dispelling rumors that the local E! franchise would soon close shop.

But E! Philippines insiders say the franchise would actually shut down at the end of the month.

According to an E! Philippines executive, the group will leave for Los Angeles to join television executives from all over the world in a week-long conference where they will view the pilot episodes of US TV shows.

"This is a yearly thing," the Filipino executive told the Inquirer in a telephone interview. "We're seriously looking into how we could reprogram."

The executive, however, asked not to be identified.

Rumors that E! Philippines, which airs on UHF Channel 31, would permanently shut down started going around after the channel announced that it would soon go off the air after airing its final show-"Wild On! Philippines"-on May 31.

"It is not a permanent closure," the executive insisted. "It is only a temporary thing while officials consider regrouping to improve the channel."

The station has not made a formal announcement as to why E! Philippines would be off the air indefinitely, but the E! executive cited the lack of support of advertisers as the major cause of the "temporary closure."

"A lot of advertisers claim that the programs on E! are too high-end and that they could not afford to advertise," the executive said. "But we also have to consider the fact that times have been tough on most people, with the Southeast Asian economic crisis and all."

E! Entertainment is also seen on Channel 16 on Home Cable, Channel 64 on Destiny Cable, and Channel 75 on SkyCable. It began its 24-hour broadcast last year.

E! Entertainment Television, the biggest producer of entertainment-based programming in the US, formed an alliance with Radio Mindanao Network (RMN), the country's largest radio network, in 2000 to create E! Philippines.

RMN used to air E! programs on its old CTV 31 channel.

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2003 at 02:30 PM »
I think the article underscores the need to organize as public and visible an effort as possible in order to Save Dave in the Philippines. The more visible the effort, the more convinced advertisers may become that investing in Letterman is a viable investment. And an advertiser worth salt would realize how smart a PR move it would be to position itself to a consumerist demographic as the saviour of David Letterman.

But first, they all have to know we are out there!!!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2003 at 02:30 PM by gurang »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2003 at 03:10 PM »
i totally agree. i know there's also a large fanbase over at pinoyexchange so maybe we can join forces  ;D

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2003 at 06:17 PM »
i totally agree. i know there's also a large fanbase over at pinoyexchange so maybe we can join forces  ;D

Call ako diyan! Maybe the first step should be preparing a letter-notice that will inform Dave fans of the situation. Or circulation of the article posted by RMN.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2003 at 09:04 PM »
BTW, I have no connection with RMN or Radio Mindanao Network ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2003 at 11:37 AM »
last night's show was a riot.  especially that biff henderson bit where he went looking for celebrity look-alikes.  i particularly liked his own look-alike.  of course Dave had his.

and the Sean Hayes interview was great. came prepared and cracked Dave up. Dave ain't that comfy with the gay guests except for Elen DeGeneris and him Sean Hayes (blame his Muncie roots, remember his off-put expression when Gandalf guested and casually mentioned his partner named Bruce or some he-man sounding name?) .

was it me or did that Avril Lavigne suck?

btw, i called E! and spoke to someone.  she says Dave's one of the shows that's going to be back but what does she know.  i asked for an email address and it bounced back -- will post a valid address once i get it.

ps. last night's words of wisdom:

"When I spit at my mother, bad things happen."  
;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2003 at 12:07 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline Mephisto

• Apprentice
  • Watch more TV
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2003 at 11:27 PM »
New shows this week, the last for the May sweeps.

Monday, May 19
Mark Wahlberg (The Italian Job)
Monster Garage
The Sounds

Tuesday, May 20
Jim Carrey (Bruce Almighty)
Chevelle

Wednesday, May 21
3 Doors Down

Thursday, May 22
Antonio Banderas (Broadway's Nine)
Heidi Klum
Liam Lynch

Friday, May 23
Peter Krause (Six Feet Under)
Widespread Panic

Looking forward to Jim Carrey and Heidi Klum.  That is, if I can catch the show at 9.  Grrr.

Hey, Peter Krause! Wonder if HBO Asia will ever air SFU Season 2.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2003 at 02:16 PM »
to dave's legions:  finally, an e! email address that didn't bounce back:

[email protected]

intern said lito cruz is the big boss around there.

if you can manage to slap yourself into consciousness from your matrix daze, why not drop e! a line and tell them to keep airing dave! it's more productive than wasting your time wondering if there's something esle going on between the architect and the oracle other than ummm program interface.

do it! before 'there is no spoon' becomes 'there is no dave!'

Offline bedan_debater

• Apprentice
  • Deductive Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2003 at 10:16 PM »
I love him...

Our debate coach suggested we watch him for tips on rhetorics and wit...

I have to admit that I have learned a lot from him, speech-wise....

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2003 at 10:39 PM »
to dave's legions:  finally, an e! email address that didn't bounce back:

[email protected]

intern said lito cruz is the big boss around there.

if you can manage to slap yourself into consciousness from your matrix daze, why not drop e! a line and tell them to keep airing dave! it's more productive than wasting your time wondering if there's something esle going on between the architect and the oracle other than ummm program interface.

do it! before 'there is no spoon' becomes 'there is no dave!'

Thanks for the tip, J! Mr. Lito Cruz will hear from me soon enough.  ;D

Offline Mephisto

• Apprentice
  • Watch more TV
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2003 at 01:55 PM »
Re-runs this week:

Monday, May 26
(Original Air Date: 4/30/03)
Charlize Theron
Sex therapist, Sue Johanson
Minus 5 and Wilco

Tuesday, May 27
(Original Air Date: 4/28/03)
Ashton Kutcher
Jack Hanna
Survivor castaway, Alex Bell

Wednesday, May 28
(Original Air Date: 4/16/03)
Michael Douglas
Todd Rundgren

Thursday, May 29
(Original Air Date: 5/6/03)
Stupid Human Tricks
Hugh Jackman
Kelly Clarkson

Friday, May 30
(Original Air Date: 5/2/03)
Halle Berry
Don Rickles

The May Sweeps is over but the shows are from that period.  Second chance to view them folks for those who missed it.  

Highlights:

Sue Johanson:  Dave gets flustered with all the frank sex talk.  He gets to say 'intercourse' and nearly regrets it.

Jungle Jack Hannah: Dave notices the box used to contain one of the animals is a box for tampons. Hilarity ensues.

Michael Douglas does Kirk Douglas impressions. And Todd Rundgren sings "Hello Its Me." -- wow! That's worth the price of a ticket right there.

A truly disgusting Stupid Human Trick from a Stupid Human.  Hugh Jackman does his own -- his eyes vibrates.  In the end, through the magic of technology, the two are merged.  Makes a lasting imprint.

Halle Berry highlight -- Halle Berry.  Plus Don Rickles not making sense.

Is this the last we see of Dave on these shores before E! folds up?  I hope not!  Not a farewell in reruns!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2003 at 01:59 PM by Mephisto »

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: May 31, 2003 at 11:16 AM »
at last, a reply from e!philippines after almost 2 weeks.

"Dear Mr. _______,

This is Gene P. Matias and I'm answering in behalf of Mr. Lito Cruz. He is currently in the States and I've been authorized to open and answer his email.  I am sorry if no E! employee was answering your call but suffice to say all of us may have been busy at that time.

Your email has been faxed to Lito Cruz and I am sure your suggestions will be taken into cognizance.

We are all saddened by this "temporary" closure of the channel but we are all hopeful that this will be, well, temporary.

Thank you very much for your email and warm regards.

GENE P. MATIAS"

funny, my "email has been faxed to Lito Cruz."  pretty efficient dont ya think  ;) no wonder they're going under!

perfunctory sure, but i think there's hope.  at least they're reading viewer mail.  hopefully they do something about them to other than "taking cognizance."

did you get a reply too?

Offline scully

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Collector
  • geeks for friends
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2003 at 11:37 AM »
E! is off the air na? :o

i am so far out of the loop  :-\

i know someone who worked there for a while (remember Gidget, Gurang?). makikibalita nga aku...
Amor Fati

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2003 at 05:23 PM »

i know someone who worked there for a while (remember Gidget, Gurang?). makikibalita nga aku...

Ja, everytime I'd see something I didn't like on E!, I'd text her to complain. But she quit na nga.  ;)

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jun 02, 2003 at 01:54 AM »
i think E! signed off na. :-[

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jun 04, 2003 at 02:29 PM »
and so it has come to pass that our favorite nightly pleasure is no longer.

up to the dying minutes of e! last saturday while they were airing wild on philippines, they still played the late show plugs during commercial breaks.  it was the only program plug aired, the rest were eksena! clips.  does this mean that e! is really keeping dave?

anyway, how's this for an idea:  the late show on studio 23? the show sits well with s23 programming, is right up there with the young market s23 caters to.   and airing dave couldnt be that expensive (small fry ctv31 could do it, why couldn't abs cbn, the biggest fish of them all, do the same?).  nobody watches those oprah reruns at night anyway.

anybody from abscbn around here?
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2003 at 02:31 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jun 04, 2003 at 02:59 PM »

There are many of them here....hope they're reading this. ;D  Please have a late night show on Studio23! Please have a late night show on Studio23! Please have a late night show on Studio23!

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jun 04, 2003 at 03:42 PM »
and so it has come to pass that our favorite nightly pleasure is no longer.

up to the dying minutes of e! last saturday while they were airing wild on philippines, they still played the late show plugs during commercial breaks.  it was the only program plug aired, the rest were eksena! clips.  does this mean that e! is really keeping dave?

anyway, how's this for an idea:  the late show on studio 23? the show sits well with s23 programming, is right up there with the young market s23 caters to.   and airing dave couldnt be that expensive (small fry ctv31 could do it, why couldn't abs cbn, the biggest fish of them all, do the same?).  nobody watches those oprah reruns at night anyway.

one thing we'll have to figure out first is what are the terms and conditions of the contract between CTV31 and CBS. If CTV 31 still owns the rights to CBS, then there will be no other way but to convince CTV 31 to sell these rights to ABS. If CTV 31 still plans to reopen, I doubt they'll refuse to sell these rights. But if CTV is in the process of just recouping its losses, it might be able to peddle a deal.

To anybody from CTV out there, please seriously consider selling the rights to the Letterman show to another local station, if you don't have any definite plans to reopen. I am certain you will get a good price for it.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 04:10 PM »
*sigh* i miss letterman.

any news on e?  any news on studio 23? on destiny the e! channel now sports color bars, not just fizzy static. is that a good sign?

i hear dave's been having guest hosts on fridays, with tom green being the latest and kelsey grammer up next.  and hillary was supposed to be on.  these are news from mainstream sources like cnn and yahoo and google news.  i can't stand visiting the website and reading the wahoo. it just hurts too much... nights -- life!--  just ain't the same without dave :'(
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2003 at 04:13 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline Dan

• Trade Count: (+133)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 216
« Reply #57 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 04:41 PM »
There are many of them here....hope they're reading this. ;D  Please have a late night show on Studio23! Please have a late night show on Studio23! Please have a late night show on Studio23!

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 05:15 PM »
Letterman will probably retire within the next two to three years. I hope our local networks won't dilly-dally on this matter so we can enjoy as much of Dave as we still can.

Offline ursula_lear

• Apprentice
  • I am on hold
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jun 19, 2003 at 08:08 PM »
Studio 23, ditch Oprah and sign on DAVE!   :D