Author Topic: The DAVID LETTERMAN Thread  (Read 29848 times)

Offline patring

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re:The DAVID LETTERMAN Thread
« Reply #60 on: Jul 21, 2003 at 03:29 PM »
any news on any other network bringing this back?  i miss dave.  :(

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Dec 14, 2003 at 11:11 AM »
Julia Roberts was on Friday, but this news stole the show:

From the Chicago Sun Times:

Will Oprah's invitation put an end to Letterman feud?
December 13, 2003

BY PHIL ROSENTHAL TELEVISION CRITIC

Now it's Oprah Winfrey's turn to make David Letterman squirm.

Saying he's worried Winfrey will make him "break down and sob like a little girl," Letterman is weighing an invitation to come to Chicago to visit one of his favorite punch lines on her own turf.

Letterman revealed the offer to appear on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" on Friday's telecast of CBS' "Late Show With David Letterman," and a spokeswoman for Winfrey confirmed the invite. It's the latest salvo in the apparent show-biz feud between the talk-show titans.

"So what we're hearing now is that Oprah no longer hates me," Letterman said during Thursday's taping.

Winfrey told Time magazine in its Dec. 15 issue that she won't go on Letterman's late-night show because she's been "completely uncomfortable" as "the butt of his jokes" in previous appearances.

Letterman baited her again this week, proposing she come on his show for an "hour of healing" he mockingly dubbed "the Super Bowl of Love." Winfrey protege Dr. Phil McGraw supposedly would "come out first and straighten me out, because the problem is me," Letterman said. "I have an attitude problem. There is something wrong with me. And then, when he feels it's safe, Oprah will come out ... and then the love will explode. ... Oprah and I will embrace. Oprah and I will kiss."

So Winfrey got wise and put Letterman on the spot with her own offer. Letterman has not yet accepted.

"While I'm gratified on the one hand, I'm a little concerned about this," Letterman, who has agreed to only a handful of TV and print interviews in the last seven years, told bandleader Paul Shaffer. "It can't possibly happen because that would screw up the Super Bowl of Love.

"Because here's what would happen: I would go on the 'Oprah' show, and I would break down and sob like a little girl. ... I don't want to have that happen. I'd feel ridiculous. I'd never be able to live that down, that Oprah would make me sob, Oprah handing me a tissue."

Back in late 2001 and early 2002, Letterman had a nightly routine in which he made sport of claiming he wanted to be booked on Winfrey's show. She ignored his on-air pleas.

Over the years, Letterman has had fun with everything from Winfrey's weight to her O magazine to her film "Beloved." A running "Late Show" gag is to have two stagehands perform deadpan readings of transcripts from Winfrey's syndicated daytime show.

Letterman's ill-fated 1995 turn as host of the Academy Awards is remembered largely for the way his "Oprah-Uma, Uma-Oprah" introduction of Winfrey to actress Uma Thurman bombed. But he has suggested on-air, perhaps apocryphally, that the relationship between him and Winfrey soured years ago when he stuck Winfrey with his lunch tab at a posh Barbados resort.

Winfrey went so far as to fly to Los Angeles to visit the rival "Tonight Show With Jay Leno" in 1996, when Letterman's "Late Show" was originating from Chicago. Winfrey, however, extended an olive branch of sorts with a gift of children's books for Letterman's newborn son just last month.

The birth of Harry Letterman has seemed to change the first-time father, warmed him up and made him more open and vulnerable on the air as he answers questions about his personal life from guests such as Madonna, Howard Stern and, on Friday, Julia Roberts.

Winfrey wants her shot at him now. It's put up or shut up time for Letterman, all joking aside.

--end--

Paging Studio 23!!![/i].  The coolness factor on your station will be multiplied a million-fold if you start broadcasting The Late Show.  Two puny little UHF channels could do it before -- CTV 31 and SBN 21 before that -- surely you could too!  It's actually a mystery why you haven't picked it up up to now.
« Last Edit: Dec 14, 2003 at 11:20 AM by JdelaCruz »

Offline ikari

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Feb 17, 2004 at 10:52 AM »
wala na ba to? miss na miss ko na letterman :(

kung di man studio23, magbukas na ulit sana ang e! philippines. o kaya sa citynet 27, balita ko magbubukas ulit sila this year.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
Re: The DAVID LETTERMAN Thread
« Reply #63 on: Apr 13, 2004 at 06:19 AM »
Hey, April 12!

Happy DA!
Birthday VE!
 ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Apr 22, 2004 at 11:57 AM »
Just a heads-up to you Stateside peeps.

The world-famous Courtney Love ep will have its long-awaited and well-deserved replay this Friday, April 23. 

D@mn I miss Dave.

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2004 at 12:00 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Apr 26, 2004 at 09:28 AM »
i saw the courtney episode last weekend and man... all i can say is what the hell was she on?

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2004 at 10:10 PM »
Hey Stateside peeps!

Dave's guest list for Monday night includes "The Cast of the Sopranos".  Whoa!!!  My favorite show on my favorite show! Let us know how it turns out. 

Dang. I wish ETC would just dump Leno and pick up Dave.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2004 at 10:26 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2004 at 12:12 AM »
Top Ten Things Never Before Said on "The Sopranos"

10. "You don't have any money? That's cool"
(Dominic Chianese)

9. "Screw this home cooking -- I'm going to the Olive Garden"
(Aida Turturro)

8. "In addition to disposing of bodies, you'll need to know how to use Powerpoint and Excel"
(Steven Van Zandt)

7. "Wasn't that the guy from Springsteen's E Street Band?"
(Robert Iler)

6. "I just hooked up an illegal cable box. Now I'm getting free HBO"
(Jamie-Lynn Discala)

5. "Tony, I'm gonna need to leave early today for Rosh Hashanah"
(Tony Sirico)

4. "I want a bigger part -- what are you gonna do, kill my character?"
(Drea de Matteo)

3. "Hey Paulie, how about you and me going up to Massachusetts and getting married?"
(Michael Imperioli)

2. "I can't go to prison -- Martha Stewart will eat me alive!"
(Edie Falco)

And the number 1 thing never before said on The Sopranos...

1. "I just whacked myself"
(James Gandolfini)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2004 at 10:17 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Jun 20, 2004 at 03:38 PM »
Harry Joseph Letterman's latest pic courtesy of dad.

Paris Hilton was on Monday and Michael Moore Friday.  Nothing in the news so I'm guessing nothing um, newsworthy came out of those interviews.  Hmmm, is Dave playing too much the nice guy lately resigned to show baby pics and be mellow with the guests?  Gee I hope not.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Aug 03, 2004 at 02:15 PM »
*deep sigh*

You know who's on this week? 

Bill Freakin' Clinton on Tuesday.  With Natalie Friggin' Merchant as musical guest.

Wednesday night, it's Tom Feckin' Cruise.

Not that we watch the show for the guests (that would be Leno viewers).  But the occasional big name stars are a welcome breeze.n  Too bad we're all missing it.

Offline Ikiru

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #70 on: Aug 03, 2004 at 04:19 PM »
*deep sigh*

You know who's on this week? 

Bill Freakin' Clinton on Tuesday.  With Natalie Friggin' Merchant as musical guest.

Wednesday night, it's Tom Feckin' Cruise.

Not that we watch the show for the guests (that would be Leno viewers).  But the occasional big name stars are a welcome breeze.n  Too bad we're all missing it.

>:(@!!!%#&!!!@@!!! LOCAL CHANNELS!!!

BRING BACK DAVE!

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Aug 05, 2004 at 06:54 PM »

"To Harry, happy nine month birthday. With luck you will finish this by your 21st birthday. Meanwhile, carry it around and build more muscles than your dad has (laughter)."

NEW YORK (Hollywood Reporter) - Former President Bill Clinton (news - web sites)'s appearance Tuesday night vaulted "Late Show with David Letterman" to a rare win against "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."

Nielsen Media Research data showed Letterman delivered a 5.2 rating/12 share among households in the top 56 "metered" markets, slightly higher than the 4.8/11 for Leno. It was the highest rating for Letterman since March 29, when Janet Jackson (news)'s guest appearance helped it deliver a 5.5/12.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2004 at 06:56 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #72 on: Aug 11, 2004 at 08:49 PM »
A parody I just got in my email. Sorry if it's old, but I haven't seen it before:

Letterman's Top Ten Reasons Why There Could Never Be a Filipino-American U.S. President:

10. White House is not big enough for in-laws and extended relatives.

9. Not enough parking spaces at the White House for 2 Honda Civics, Toyota Celica, 1985 Mercedes Benz Diesel, BMW (Big Mean Wife) and MPV (My Pinoy Van).

8. Dignitaries are generally intimidated by eating with their fingers at State dinners.

7. Too many dining rooms in the White House - where will they put the Last Supper picture? You have to have a Last Supper Picture somehow.

6. White House walls are not big enough to hold giant wooden spoon and giant wooden fork.

5. Secret Service Staff won't respond to "psssst, psssst."

4. Secret Service Staff are uncomfortable driving Presidential Car with Rosary hanging on the rear view mirror or the statuette of Santo Nino on the dashboard.

3. No budget allocation to purchase karaoke machines in every White House room.

2. State Dinner do not allow "Take Home."

AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON:

1. AIR FORCE ONE does not allow overweight Balikbayan Boxes.

8)
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Sep 21, 2004 at 05:16 PM »
From Yahoo! News:

Kerry Does 'Top Ten' on Letterman Show
Mon Sep 20,11:51 PM ET 

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Democrat John Kerry joked Monday on "The Late Show with David Letterman" about changes under President Bush's tax plan, including that Vice President **** Cheney can claim the president as a dependent.

Besides reading his "Top 10" list, Kerry also poked fun at the tedious debate negotiations between the rival campaigns that ended in agreement Monday. Kerry said he wanted running mate John Edwards to stand in the vice presidential debate, but Cheney wanted to sit. "We compromised and now George Bush is going to sit on **** Cheney's lap," he said.

Both Bush and Democratic rival Al Gore appeared on the CBS show in 2000. Bush has not appeared on any late-night comedy shows in this campaign. Kerry also has appeared on Comedy Central's "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" and "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" on NBC.

Kerry's "Top 10 Bush Tax Proposals" are:

10. No estate tax for families with at least two U.S. presidents.

9. W-2 Form is now Dubya-2 Form.

8. Under the simplified tax code, your refund check goes directly to Halliburton.

7. The reduced earned income tax credit is so unfair, it just makes me want to tear out my lustrous, finely groomed hair.

6. Attorney General (John) Ashcroft gets to write off the entire U.S. Constitution.

5. Texas Rangers can take a business loss for trading Sammy Sosa.

4. Eliminate all income taxes; just ask Teresa (Heinz Kerry) to cover the whole damn thing.

3. Cheney can claim Bush as a dependent.

2. Hundred-dollar penalty if you pronounce it "nuclear" instead of "nucular."

1. George W. Bush gets a deduction for mortgaging our entire future.

During Kerry's trip to New York, he also delivered a speech laying out his vision for Iraq and raised $4 million at reception and dinner benefiting the Democratic National Committee.

He planned another television appearance Tuesday morning — on "Live with Regis and Kelly."

-----end------

Offline mccoy

• DVD Addict
  • HEY. HO. LET'S GO.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #74 on: Sep 21, 2004 at 11:32 PM »
damn i miss dave!
studio 23 pick it up already!!!!

PICK IT UP! PICK IT UP!

: AYUZ!   >:(
LAKAD PILIPINAS: Explore the Philippines & Beyond

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Oct 06, 2004 at 04:14 PM »
A "political ad" on the Late Show, right after the first Kerry-Bush debate:

“Last week, Senator Kerry was eight points behind President Bush. Today, he is three points ahead. Is this the kind of indecision we want in a President? Vote Bush/Cheney 2004.”

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 04:38 PM »
Remember Mitch Hedberg?  The stand-up who did his spaced out, laid back routine with his eyes closed?

"I think foosball is a combination of soccer and shishkabobs."

"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too."

"My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so, Yeah.""

"Rice is great when you're hungry and you want 2,000 of something."

Made his network debut on the Letterman a few years ago and came back six or seven times.  He's on Conan tonight on ETC. ;D

Offline mongaddi

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Trapped inside this Octavarium
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 11:23 PM »
BRING BACK LETTERMAN IN MANILA!

I miss the SBN 21 telecasts!

ETC shouldve gotten this instead of Leno
I've been trying to justify you.
In the end I will just defy you.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Oct 14, 2004 at 12:44 PM »
Mitch Hedberg blowed as usual.  "Is a hippopotamus just a realy cool opotamus?" and Cottage Cheese vs. "other-dwelling cheeses".  Weird though, he was also in Ed on StarWorld last night!  You miss an obscure comic for years and out of the blue one night, he's all over TV!

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Oct 26, 2004 at 11:51 AM »
Letterman to Appear on 'Regis'
Associated Press, October 20, 2004

NEW YORK - David Letterman, who nfrequently appears on anyone's show but his own, will make a guest appearance next month on "Live With Regis and Kelly."

Letterman, host of CBS' "Late Show," will appear on Nov. 8, the syndicated morning talk show said Tuesday.
"I think it's nice that he visits our show once every 10 years," co-host Regis Philbin told The Associated Press by phone. "But I'm very pleased."

Philbin and Letterman have long traded friendly barbs. He subbed for Letterman in 2000 when the late-night host underwent heart bypass surgery and again in 2003 while Letterman recuperated from an eye infection.

About their friendship, Philbin says, "that's the problem. We're great friends when I go on his show and then I leave and I don't hear from him. But I'm going to settle that on my home ground."

In anticipation of the event, "Live," with Kelly Ripa as co-host, has released its own Top Ten list, with reasons why Letterman is appearing on the show. Among them: "Thinks Kelly is hot" and "Wants to return Regis' copy of `Deuce Bigalow' in person."

---- end ----

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Jan 19, 2005 at 10:00 PM »
Harry Joseph Letterman, 14 months old and walking!

Watch the clip here

Great intro by Dave, too.  My wife cried watching this.  Don't tell her I told you.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Jan 24, 2005 at 04:19 PM »
Johnny Carason had been in the news lately, writing secretly for Letterman it turns out.  Now just a few days later, he's dead.  I think this will be devastating especially for Dave.  Wonder how his monologue and the rest of his show will be.   :'(

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #82 on: Dec 01, 2005 at 11:27 PM »
GOOD NEWS!!!

Letterman returns to Philippine TV on December 26. 11 pm on JACK TV!!!

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #83 on: Dec 02, 2005 at 01:42 AM »
yesss this is great news! I'm getting tired of Leno already... 

Offline nixenzo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • D'oh!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Dec 02, 2005 at 06:56 AM »
GOOD NEWS!!!

Letterman returns to Philippine TV on December 26. 11 pm on JACK TV!!!

Finally!!! Been waiting for a very, very, freakishly long time.
Too bad, though, because Oprah (Who Dave is dying to get on the show since 1980-something, and said that she doesn't even watch him.) supposed to appear on the show, I think just a few more hours from now... :-\

BUT, THIS IS GREAT NEWS! Yey! ;D ;D
Librarian

Offline mccoy

• DVD Addict
  • HEY. HO. LET'S GO.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #85 on: Dec 02, 2005 at 10:24 AM »
Finally!!! Been waiting for a very, very, freakishly long time.
Too bad, though, because Oprah (Who Dave is dying to get on the show since 1980-something, and said that she doesn't even watch him.) supposed to appear on the show, I think just a few more hours from now... :-\

BUT, THIS IS GREAT NEWS! Yey! ;D ;D

THIS IS GREAT!!! YAY!!!
sayang lang di natin mapapanuod si oprah....
LAKAD PILIPINAS: Explore the Philippines & Beyond

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 512
« Reply #86 on: Dec 02, 2005 at 11:31 AM »
THIS IS GREAT!!! YAY!!!
sayang lang di natin mapapanuod si oprah....

We might be able to catch it on replays. They rerun big episodes like that anyway.

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #87 on: Dec 02, 2005 at 05:12 PM »
Oprah's guest appearance was great--the show was jam-packed. She presented Dave with a signed picture of herself with Uma Thurman  ;D , and Dave also personally escorted her across the street to the premiere of "The Color Purple" musical afterwards, while shouting to passerby, "Hey, it's Oprah!", hehe.  One of Dave's finest moments.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Dec 03, 2005 at 04:46 PM »

Oprah Gives Dave Best Audience in Decade

By DAVID BAUDER, AP Television Writer Fri Dec 2,11:41 PM ET

NEW YORK - David Letterman has learned the Power of Oprah: her "Late Show" appearance Thursday earned him his biggest audience in more than a decade.

An estimated 13.5 million people stayed up late to watch Winfrey's first visit to Letterman in 16 years, Nielsen Media Research said on Friday. Only three times has Letterman had a bigger audience on CBS — for his network premiere in 1993 and twice in 1994 in the midst of the Nancy Kerrigan-Tonya Harding ice skating melodrama.

Winfrey's appearance more than tripled Letterman's typical audience of 4.3 million viewers, Nielsen said.

Letterman escorted Winfrey to the nearby Broadway premiere of "The Color Purple" after their chat. Winfrey co-produced the musical, at least partly explaining the timing of her Letterman appearance.

During the interview, Winfrey said she thought Letterman's famous 1995 joke on the Academy Awards ("Oprah, Uma. Uma, Oprah") was funny — although she did pointedly present him with a signed portrait of herself with Uma Thurman.

"I have never for a moment had a feud with you," she said.

The summit between the talk titans was set up by years of Letterman jokes about Winfrey, mixed in with years of her rejecting offers to appear on the show, and endless promotion since her visit was announced.

The "Late Show" audience was larger than that of most prime-time programs and appeared to consist almost entirely of people who usually don't watch late-night TV. Incredibly, Jay Leno on NBC's "Tonight" show was seen by 6.2 million people on Thursday — more than his season average of 5.8 million — evidence that Leno's usual fans didn't abandon him.

"Late Late Show" host Craig Ferguson basked in Letterman's glow. His show, which directly follows Letterman, had its biggest audience ever early Friday, Nielsen said.

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Dec 05, 2005 at 01:24 PM »
C R A P!

I missed the freaking episode!!! Kainis. ANd to think I was waiting for this one!