Author Topic: The CONAN O'BRIEN Thread  (Read 12244 times)

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 465
Re: The CONAN O'BRIEN Thread
« Reply #60 on: Jul 14, 2004 at 02:54 PM »
kahit na replay yung episidoe kahapon with tim robbins and larry king, it's still the best way to end the day. it was so hilarious and shocking to see conan making fun of larry king. larry said the secret to a great interview was listening and conan just kept interrupting because it was HIS show ''...late night with who?'' hehehe. conan even threatened to cut the interview short because larry said conan's interviewing skills was probably the reason he'd be hosting LATE night  and not the tonight show. oooh.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: Jul 19, 2004 at 12:14 PM »
This week:

Monday 7/19: Quentin Tarantino, Rhona Mitra, Ben Kweller (R 4/14/04)
Tuesday 7/20: Julianna Margulies, Kevin Pollak, Greg Fitzsimmons
Wednesday 7/21: Benjamin Bratt
Thursday 7/22: Halle Berry, Christopher Meloni
Friday 7/23: TBA

A new chance to see the QT episode, not that anything must-see-again happened.

Nice to know Kevin Pollak still does talk shows.

This TBA guy is getting to be a frequent guest.

Enjoy this week's new shows because next week is an all-rerun week.
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2004 at 12:27 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Jul 20, 2004 at 07:46 AM »
Friday 7/23: TBA

This TBA guy is getting to be a frequent guest.

Hehe!

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Jul 23, 2004 at 12:57 AM »
Those Walker, Texas Ranger clips are hilarious!

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #64 on: Aug 03, 2004 at 04:40 PM »
Conan never fails to crack me up even during replays. Once he starts that silly "marionette" dance of his, I lose it na.  Other favorites: his impressions of Donald Trump, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and a snarling Martha Stewart.

Favorite bit: Actual Items.  ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Aug 11, 2004 at 10:19 PM »
HEADS UP!!!

From Yahoo! News:

Conan's "Late Night" Infomercial
Tue Aug 10, 5:15 PM ET   

By Josh Grossberg

Get ready for Conan O'Brien: the infomercial.

No, the Late Night host's not hawking five-minute abs or spray-on hair, but he is planning on channeling his inner-Ron Popeil during this Thursday's show.

O'Brien is set to parody the infomercial format by converting his show into one long advertisement hyping th release of two Late Night-themed DVDs: Late Night's 10th Anniversary Special and The Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.

Okay, so it's not Veg-O-Matic or Tae-Bo instruction, but the big guy's going to shill his heart out.

"If this works out, watch for the Conan O'Brien Weight Loss System this fall," proclaimed O'Brien in a press release.

Late Night producers will make over the set, using the tacky lighting and low-end production values insomniacs have come to expect from the infomercial genre.

O'Brien will be joined by his pugnacious bow-tied pooch puppet pal Triumph the Insult Comic Dog. They'll screen some of their greatest hits and interview some Very Special Guest Stars--former Love Boat doc Bernie Kopell and former Olympic champion Bruce Jenner (news - web sites), both of whom know their way around an infomerical.

All the while, O'Brien says he will be working hard to close the deal, continuously directing viewers to www.shopnbc.com to buy the DVDs at a special discounted price (for a limited time only!).

This isn't the first time Late Night has toyed with the show's format in its 11-year history. O'Brien once broadcast an entire episode in claymation, did another show from a Circle Line boat cruising around Manhattan and even did a 15-minute opening segment on back-up power during the 2003 blackout.

The 10th Anniversary Special is divided into four sections: "Comedy Shorts" features some of O'Brien's funniest bits; "Favorite Guest Moments" spotlights interviews with the likes of Harrison Ford (news), Arnold Schwarzenegger (news - web sites) and Jack Black (news); "Conan on Location" finds O'Brien riffing outside the studio; and the "Behind the Scenes Gallery" chronicles the Late Night production team.

The Triumph disc collects the adventures of the cigar-chomping puppet famous for his trademark punch line: "For me to poop on!" Among the highlights: Triumph's scene-stealing tirade opposite Eminem at the 2001 MTV Video Music Awards and his notorious appearances at the Star Wars premiere and the Westminster Dog Show. But wait, there's more. It will also feature "extra poop," that is, outtakes, music videos, etc.

The 10th Anniversary Special and The Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog DVDs, which retail for $19.98 each, are now in stores. While supplies last.

===== end ======

Mark your calendar folks!  Friday night!

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: Aug 16, 2004 at 10:49 AM »
well conan'll be gone for the next 2 weeks... :(

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Aug 17, 2004 at 04:44 PM »
No Cone Zone for 2 weeks? ETC won't even air replays?

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 11:12 AM »
may replays. last night was halle berry..

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 02:38 PM »
Gee... I hope whoever decides which shows to rerun at least watches the show from time to time or better yet knows that "Triumph" is not a just breast support product but an Eminem-thrashing hand puppet as well. 

ETC basically has a free rein on this, I just hope they know which episodes to air.  I have a hunch the pinheads who run ETC all have this "Tonight Show" mentality: their only criteria for a good show to rerun is a name guest on the line-up, no matter if everthing else sucked.  Case in point, Halle Berry last night.

Hey ETC, Late Night ain't The Tonight Show (thank God for that).  Don't go looking for big stars! Give us the Canada shows!  Anything with Triumph! The one with Richter! The Informercial Episode!
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2004 at 02:40 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline dobler

• Kagawad
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Aug 18, 2004 at 03:08 PM »
I saw the infomercial episode last week on ETC. What a concept. Shamless plugging of Conan and Triumph dvd's with Bruce Jenner as co-host. The set design and lighting were spot on. Conan and Bruce even wore tacky sweaters complete with loud patterns.

Triumph was his usual self, offensive yet funny  :)

It really showed how lame Jay Leno is!

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Aug 24, 2004 at 12:20 AM »
yeah i wanna order the schtupinator!

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Aug 27, 2004 at 05:48 AM »
Someone has christened Jojo Alejar, the Conan O Brien of the Philippines. :o His show airs on a cable channel (RJ...forgot what the name of the channel is...UnTV? No...RJTV?...Probably), between 8-10 PM. I caught it on a Wed (I think....). Jojo hosts a talk show, ala Late Night and he has his sidekick rin (though you can only hear the voice of the sidekick making comments). And well, to say the least  :-\ , I don't even know who his guests are.  ???

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Aug 29, 2004 at 03:42 PM »
well.. now that the olympics is gone, we'll once again get our all new conans 4 times a week!!

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Sep 04, 2004 at 05:08 PM »

TONIGHT ON CONAN:

Jeremy Piven
Tim Meadows

Special Guest:
Burce Hornsy

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #75 on: Sep 08, 2004 at 08:52 AM »

Tonight On Conan:

Guests:

Andy Richter

Neve Campbell

Musical Guest

Jane Monheit

^ Looks like Ivvanna Humpalot, don't it?

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Sep 09, 2004 at 12:54 AM »
is this thread now dead?!?!

wjhat happened to Conan's loyal followers?!?!

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #77 on: Sep 09, 2004 at 10:34 AM »
We're still here, and still watch him. I'm kinda annoyed though at the alternate airing of repeats & new episodes--what the heck is NBC doing?  >:(

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Sep 10, 2004 at 12:19 PM »
Conan only works 4 days a week- that's tuesdays to fridays lang.  (wednesdays to sat nights for us)

kaya Monday ( sa states) is always a rerun.

GET IT?

Offline Ikiru

• Collector
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #79 on: Sep 10, 2004 at 12:25 PM »
Conan only works 4 days a week- that's tuesdays to fridays lang.  (wednesdays to sat nights for us)

Does Lame-o, este, Leno get the same 4-days-a-week perk?

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Sep 10, 2004 at 01:07 PM »
no. leno works 5 days a week

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Sep 19, 2004 at 10:23 AM »
 I LOVE YOU SHARON!!!

hahaha... sweet segment it was, imo!

Offline gurang

• DVD Addict
  • Behind every myth is a liar
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Sep 28, 2004 at 08:32 AM »
Not sure if this is good news or bad news.

O'Brien to Succeed Leno on 'Tonight' Show
By BILL CARTER, New York Times

BC announced yesterday that Conan O'Brien would succeed Jay Leno as host of the "Tonight" show when Mr. Leno's contract expired in 2009, cutting off early efforts by competitors to steal away Mr. O'Brien.

Mr. O'Brien, the host of NBC's "Late Night'' for more than a decade, signed a new contract early yesterday morning at NBC's headquarters in Rockefeller Center. The deal guarantees Mr. O'Brien will serve at least two years as host of "Tonight," still the leading show in late-night television, when he takes over from Mr. Leno at a yet-to-be-determined date in 2009.

NBC made the news official in a news release yesterday afternoon, after it had been announced to the staffs of both shows early in the morning. Mr. Leno planned to tell his own television audience last night of the decision on his program, already billed as a special edition because it is the official 50th anniversary of the first broadcast of "Tonight,'' with Steve Allen as host. Mr. O'Brien will become the fifth host in the show's history.

Because of a desire to allow Mr. Leno the first public comment on the decision, the hosts and NBC executives declined on-the-record interviews yesterday. But several people involved in the negotiations said they had been conducted in an amicable fashion, even though Mr. O'Brien has been surprised and disappointed earlier this year when NBC announced it had signed Mr. Leno to a five-year extension.

Mr. O'Brien, with his own contract set to expire in January of 2006, had made it plain in interviews that his goal was to be the host of an 11:35 p.m. late-night show soon.

NBC executives said yesterday that Mr. Leno was instrumental in making the new arrangement, having agreed when he signed his latest deal in March, that he would be willing to step aside for Mr. O'Brien in 2009. He will be 59 at that point, while Mr. O'Brien will be 46.

In a statement, Mr. Leno said: "When I signed my new contract, I felt that the timing was right to plan for my successor, and there is no one more qualified than Conan. Plus, I promised my wife, Mavis, I would take her out for dinner before I turned 60."

The deal to secure Mr. O'Brien and to finalize an end date for Mr. Leno's tenure was put in place by Jeff Zucker, the president of the NBC Universal Television Group. Mr. Zucker had conducted complicated negotiations over a period of months with representatives of the two stars, trying to work out a plan that would keep Mr. O'Brien at NBC.

Mr. O'Brien was expected to be heavily sought after by other networks had NBC not managed to re-sign him. Mr. O'Brien's representatives had already received some preliminary indications of interest from at least two other television companies.

One of the main inspirations for concluding the deal this early was NBC's conviction that it could not go through the painful and at times embarrassing process that attended the last decision to turn over the host job on "Tonight.''

In 1991, after Johnny Carson announced he was stepping down, NBC first handed the job to Mr. Leno, then a substitute host for the program. And then, as the contract of its other late-night star, David Letterman, was expiring, the network offered to give him the show at the end of Mr. Leno's first contract.

Mr. Letterman saw that as a ploy to keep him inside NBC and was not convinced that NBC would have gone through with that commitment, so he declined and joined CBS.

Some of the people who were involved in how that scenario played out wondered yesterday about whether NBC might be employing a similar tactic, offering Mr. O'Brien what he most wanted, the "Tonight" show to secure his services and keep him away from another network, while essentially postponing a real decision on Mr. Leno's future for five years.

But the people involved in the negotiations said that Mr. O'Brien's representatives had been completely satisfied that NBC's commitment was real. They said that the contract Mr. O'Brien signed yesterday included a multi-million-dollar financial penalty if he did not get the "Tonight" show, a penalty payment so substantial that the network surely had no intention of ever having to pay it, according to people involved in the deal. For NBC, the "Tonight'' show remains one of its biggest money-makers. Though NBC does not give any official breakdown of the show's finances, one network executive estimated that the show makes a profit of about $150 million a year on revenues of about $230 million. Mr. O'Brien's show brings in an estimated $100 million on revenues of $140 million. After Mr. Leno became the host in 1992, CBS lured away Mr. Letterman, and his competing show on CBS for a time beat Mr. Leno's in the ratings.

But Mr. Leno zoomed past Mr. Letterman in 1995 and has dominated the late-night ratings ever since.

Mr. Zucker bragged last year that the race in late night was, in effect, over, and that Mr. Leno had definitively won. But late last television season, as CBS solidified its lead in prime time with shows like "C.S.I.'' and "Survivor,'' the gap between Mr. Leno and Mr. Letterman began to close slightly.

Last week, in the opening week of the current prime-time season, Mr. Leno's margin of victory over Mr. Letterman was the closest the two shows had been in terms of viewers - 5.5 million for NBC versus 4.96 million for CBS - since 1994. And in the category that NBC and advertisers most prize, adults between the ages of 18 and 49, the margin was the closest for the two shows since 1996.

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Sep 28, 2004 at 02:08 PM »
yeah was gonna pst about this too. this definitely is a mixed feelings.

positive:

11.35 Time Slot for the Cone Zone

Negative..

Conan can no longer act like an @$$ and waste anymore time.

Offline MultipleAngles

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • BANZAI!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Sep 28, 2004 at 10:49 PM »
If we're lucky, and Conan's crazy enough, maybe he can do both shows  ;D

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #85 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 01:06 AM »
I get a kick out of his "Walker: Texas Ranger" lever!

This guy is one crazy dude.

Wy wife doesn't understand why I always laugh out loud while watching Conan.

;D

Offline Klaus Weasley

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #86 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 02:21 AM »
I for one have mixed feelings about that move:

POSITIVE:

Bigger ratings, broader audience, earlier timeslot.

NEGATIVE:

He's inheriting the throne from JAY LENO, an unfunny comedian turned corporate tool. I'd much rather he'd inherit a throne occupied by DAVID LETTERMAN, a truly funny comedian.

There's also a danger of toning down his wacky, edgy sketches and jokes. I hope he still features the Masturbating Bear, the Fedex Pope and Preparation H Raymond.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Sep 29, 2004 at 02:22 AM »
He has a guaranteed spot come 2009 to be the next host of The Tonight Show.

This is an NBC counter offer move to Conan after plans of the said anchorman to move to CBS. Such move coincides after Leno decided its for quits with the Tonigh Show before he reach age 60 come 2009.

Last Night at the tonight show, Leno validated that its Conan that will preside come 2009.
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Sep 30, 2004 at 08:11 PM »
Whether he succeeds Leno or Letterman, I don't mind...as long as I still get to watch Conan's show on Philippine TV by 2009, anything is fine by me. :)

I finally got to watch his 10th Anniversary DVD. The 10th anniv show itself is bitin...why did they ever put it on DVD, I wonder. ::) But the extras (!) --- watching "Dudez-A-Plenti" and "Conan's Helping Hands" all over again was sulit. Had tears after watching those bits, because I laughed too much! ;D

Offline greatbop

• DVD Guru
  • I'm not a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Oct 01, 2004 at 11:07 AM »
hmm... ain't nothing without triumph's dvd..

that episode 2 premier is just classic.