Author Topic: The Office (BBC/NBC versions)  (Read 14981 times)

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: BBC's "The OFFICE" on StarWorld!
« Reply #30 on: Oct 26, 2004 at 11:45 PM »
Anybody seen the Christmas specials yet- - -not on Starworld, obviously?  Saw the last episode of the second season (on DVD) the other night (marathoned all six episodes, in fact) and left me craving more.

The Brits do make their stuff several degrees more sophisticated than the Yanks (shows in even their commercials). That whole breaking-the-fourth-wall/reality TV conceit would have been given exposition or explanation if this was an American sitcom, but here it's taken for granted, assumes the audience is smart enough to hurdle them - - -and it neatly contributes to the poignancy of that final "encounter" between Tim and Dawn in the boardroom. (Won't go further into it to avoid spoilers for those who haven't seen it). Is the American remake oif this underway?

Depressing , in a way, but more for the subtext of Tim's story, that being in an office 9 to 5 does stifle one's dreams. Tell me about it.  Asswipe bosses are nothing compared to that. Besides Gervais' Brent isn't exactly loathsome loathsome, he's a charming lout with a human being inside the braggadocio.

And in fairness, his motivational speech did get off on an unconventional, and terrific, start. Was that the episode that was shown recently?

Loved the "musical" episode best. Foregone Conclusion, now there's a name for a band! ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2004 at 11:53 PM by X44 »

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #31 on: Oct 26, 2004 at 11:58 PM »
Excalibur
By David Brent

I froze your tears and made a dagger
And stabbed it in my c*ck forever
It stays there like Excalibur
Are you my Arthur?
Say you are

Take this cool, dark, steel-ed blade
Steal it
Sheath it in your lake
I'd drown with you to be together
Must you breathe?
Cos I need heaven

You know what, seeing the poem written out like that, "Excalibur" actually seems a lot better than most of the "poetry" a lot of current "poets" are spewing.

Gervais' delivery of  the line "Cos I need heaven" is just killer!

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 27, 2004 at 02:04 PM »
Anybody seen the Christmas specials yet- - -not on Starworld, obviously?  Saw the last episode of the second season (on DVD) the other night (marathoned all six episodes, in fact) and left me craving more.

The Brits do make their stuff several degrees more sophisticated than the Yanks (shows in even their commercials). That whole breaking-the-fourth-wall/reality TV conceit would have been given exposition or explanation if this was an American sitcom, but here it's taken for granted, assumes the audience is smart enough to hurdle them - - -and it neatly contributes to the poignancy of that final "encounter" between Tim and Dawn in the boardroom. (Won't go further into it to avoid spoilers for those who haven't seen it). Is the American remake oif this underway?

Depressing , in a way, but more for the subtext of Tim's story, that being in an office 9 to 5 does stifle one's dreams. Tell me about it.  Asswipe bosses are nothing compared to that. Besides Gervais' Brent isn't exactly loathsome loathsome, he's a charming lout with a human being inside the braggadocio.

And in fairness, his motivational speech did get off on an unconventional, and terrific, start. Was that the episode that was shown recently?

Loved the "musical" episode best. Foregone Conclusion, now there's a name for a band! ;D

I've seen the Christmas Specials and all I can say is it's the perfect wrap-up to a perfect series.  It's two hours long and set three years from end of Season 2.  The States got a taste of it for the first time just last week and the DVD drops November 16.  Ricky Gervais was in fact on Letterman to promote it.  Wonder how that went.

There's a US version coming soon and Ricky Gervais is wishing it luck but keeping his distance, saying he's not at all involved with it in any capacity creative or otherwise.  Given how the Yanks murdered Coupling who can blame him.  Looks promising though -- it stars The Daily Show's Steve Carell as one of the key players (Brent?).

I hope StarWorld airs the Specials.  It doesn't have to do it right after the final episode which by my calculation falls late November (BBC UK itself aired it just last Christmas, a year after the last ep).  Starworld airing it around this Christmas instead would actually be, well, perfect!
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2004 at 02:35 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 31, 2004 at 11:25 AM »
Four down, two eps to go for Series 2...

Brent: (Bragging) "You know what they're paying me to talk for 15 minutes?"
Keith: (without a care as usual) "No."
Brent: "300 quid!"
Keith: "That's 1200 an hour."
Brent: "You do the math."
Keith: "That's 1200 an hour."

« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2004 at 02:38 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 08, 2004 at 01:09 PM »
^Miscalculation on my part in that post last week.  That should mean two more episodes starting this Saturday, Nov 13, with the finale on the 20th.  Last Saturday's was Episode 4.

Speaking of which, looks like things are heating up between Tim and Rachel, in fact they look like they've done the horizontal mambo.  Special appearance of Simon the computer guy.  And Brent gets a gig as a motivational speaker.  I actually had to watch that one through the fingers of my hands covering my face. 

Brent (pointing out Keith): "He's fatty fatty toad boy!"  (or was it toady toady fat boy, i forget)

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 14, 2004 at 02:50 PM »
Boyakasha!

It was Red Nose day in Wernham Hogg last Saturday.  Everybody did something crazy: Gareth hopped on one leg, Keith was Ali G,  Dawn sold kisses for a quid. (Tim paid and Dawn insisted on giving him the merchandise.) Neil and Rachel danced Saturday Night Fever.  Not to be outdone, Brent did some impromptu "Flashdance MCHammer sh it".  All in the spirit of raising money for Comic Relief.  In the end, a self-styled "comic" is himself relieved. 

Final episode next Saturday.  God I hope they air the Christmas Specials.
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2004 at 02:53 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Nov 21, 2004 at 02:40 PM »
Well, there ya have it folks. Gareth sure had a big smile on his face as the series ended. In closing, Brent quotes Dolly Parton and "t!ts" ends up being the very last word he utters in this "documentary". Good for a final laugh that belies the heaviness of this particular ep. Final shot of a dispirited Dawn answering the phone was a whopper.

This show truly deserves all the superlatives that have ever been used to describe it.

Note on the Christmas Specials: StarWorld has been airing teasers of its December special programming and The Office ain't there. Dare we hope that the Specials air this Saturday and the next?

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #37 on: Nov 21, 2004 at 03:38 PM »
Dare we hope that the Specials air this Saturday and the next?

Actually, Star World lists "Absolute Power" in its Saturday nights at 10:30PM slot starting next week, sorry.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Dec 29, 2004 at 11:44 PM »
From TIME Magazine Best of TV 2004:

No.7
THE OFFICE FINALE
( B B C A m e r i c a )

This list generally focuses on the best new TV shows of the year rather than returning favorites. But this departed British workplace sitcom, which led the TIME TV list for 2003, was so nice I had to name it twice—first, for its two six-episode seasons last year; now, for going out in style. In a year of mediocre send-offs for shows that lasted past their prime (Friends, Frasier, Sex and the City), this two-hour finale kept its cruel, awkward humor while ending on a note of sweetness (who was heartless enough not to want star-crossed coworkers Tim and Dawn to get together?). It even offered a believable touch of redemption and hope for boss-from-hell David Brent (Ricky Gervais). NBC is working on an adaptation for next year; if they can find the American equivalent of this comedy of quiet desperation, it'll be welcome on next year's list too.

---- end ----

I saw the plug for the Rod Stewart Concert on StarWorld and I distinctly heard "Handbags and Gladrags" being sung in the background. I think I'll be watching it just for that. January 1, 2005 8pm StarWorld.

« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2004 at 11:50 PM by JdelaCruz »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Apr 04, 2005 at 03:46 PM »
The Office: An American Workplace has started in the USA.  Pretty funny! ;) Saves NBC from that disasterous adaptation of a Britcom, called Coupling USA. Know more about The Office USA here.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2005 at 03:49 PM by CrUzAC[k]H »

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Apr 05, 2005 at 11:43 AM »
Had to see this one for myself, so thank you BitTorrent.  8)

Surprising how close the first ep is to the original's pilot. From the wazzaaap to the jello to the post-it pilferage. The office lay-out is pretty much similar, even the phones ring the same way.

However Tim is now Jim, but still with the unkempt hair. The Gareth character is Deputy Sheriff on the side instead of being in the Reserve Army. I found the Dawn character a little too fragile for comfort she always looks she's going to burst out in tears every time. Carell to his credit holds his own. This will either make him or break him and I'm leaning towards the former.

This version works for people who haven't seen the original and in the US it's like 99% of the population. And it doesn't have a laugh track so that in itself is extraordinary.

Gervais and Merchant are credited as executive producers and writers. I don't know if that's the case all series long. I certainly didn't expect the first ep to be almost a photocopy of the British pilot, and I hope the show parts ways with its the original in the coming eps. Otherwise, why do it at all.

All in all, it's not that bad. And the US actors certainly have nicer teeth. ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Apr 05, 2005 at 11:44 AM »
I saw the second episode of the US version and man it was cringe-o-rama funny. Still executive produced (whatever that means) by Gervais and Merchant but now written by BJ Novak, one of the cast members so this one's an original.

It was Diversity Day at The Office, mandated by corporate because of employee complaints over Michael's Chris Rock routine. Race has been one of the funny subjects of the original. But while it got fleeting (but still bitingly funny) treatment there, the US version tackles it head on with a full episode. And man it was flat out hilarious! If this is any indication of things to come then we sure got a show to watch this season.

Speaking of less-than-subtle treatments, the "Tim and Dawn" story is being played to the hilt here this early in the series, and with the subdued tone of a ghetto beatbox (sorry, this ethnic diversity episode really got to me.) Not too crazy about that but we'll see.

"Is there a term besides Mexican that you prefer? Something less offensive?"

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Apr 07, 2005 at 05:24 PM »
Speaking of less-than-subtle treatments, the "Tim and Dawn" story is being played to the hilt here this early in the series,

- I'm not feeling the American "Tim & Dawn" (Jim ba yung name? And the girl, Pamela?). They don't have chemistry. Unlike Tim & Dawn --- so cute together.
- Caught episode 3 of Office USA. They did their version of "Gareth Invetigates" but not as funny as the original version. Although funny yung invented diseases....cracked me up! ;D

BJ Novak plays the boss?
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2005 at 05:26 PM by CrUzAC[k]H »

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
Re: The Office UK/The Office: An American Workplace
« Reply #43 on: Apr 07, 2005 at 06:03 PM »
^The boss is played by Steve Carell who used to be in The Daily Show with John Stewart.  He was also in Bruce Almighty and Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy and played a newscaster in both.

BJ Novak plays one of the staff, the one who looks like Stewart Copeland of The Police.  His character hasn't seen much action just yet.

Have yet to see how they redid that Gareth Invetigates ep.  It's a good thing to know the third ep still isn't short on laughs.

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Apr 07, 2005 at 06:25 PM »
Ah! The newscaster! ;D Thought he looked familiar. I googled BJ Novak just now. He's the new guy pala....supposed to be the cute new guy who got together with the boss' best friend's daughter in the original Office. But in the US version, wala pa ata yung story line na yun.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Apr 11, 2005 at 11:51 AM »
^Been having problems with PLDT DSL for a full week now and I can't get a hold of ep 3, darn it.

Anyway, just found out that STARWORLD is currently airing BBC's The Office 2 eps BACK TO BACK every Sunday at 10 - 11 pm.   Last night, one episode was Tim's birthday, and the other one was the classic Free Love Freeway ep.

I read somewhere that Gervais and one of the Gallagher brothers were planning to make a single out of that song.  Wonder what happened there.

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #46 on: Apr 11, 2005 at 04:05 PM »
^Been having problems with PLDT DSL for a full week now and I can't get a hold of ep 3, darn it.

Anyway, just found out that STARWORLD is currently airing BBC's The Office 2 eps BACK TO BACK every Sunday at 10 - 11 pm. Last night, one episode was Tim's birthday, and the other one was the classic Free Love Freeway ep.

I read somewhere that Gervais and one of the Gallagher brothers were planning to make a single out of that song. Wonder what happened there.

hehehe...if I were in the conference, I'd ask David Brent to do an acoustic version of "More to Lose"!!!

Astig, dibaaaa........

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jun 16, 2006 at 11:58 PM »
Started watching the first three episodes of the NBC version. I like them so far. Can't wait to get to the much-talked about finale of last season.

Still have to get started with the BBC version.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
Re: The Office (BBC/NBC versions)
« Reply #48 on: Jun 17, 2006 at 01:34 AM »
The US version is actually pretty good (which surprised me). I LOVE LOVE LOVE the original BBC series, so I was really worried that the show will be dumbed down when it gets "translated" for NBC. The pilot didn't do the show any favors as well, since it was like an awkward line for line reading of the first BBC episode.

But it goes smoothly from there, with the NBC version slowly but surely finding its own footing and getting an identity for itself. The supporting cast of the NBC version is actually pretty good, and the writers of the NBC version actually chose to expand their focus beyond the four core characters of the BBC version.

Not to give anything away (although I don't really know how anyone can be spoiler-free these days), the last episode of the second season of the US version is heading towards "uncharted BBC version territory". A special message to the writers of the NBC version:

DON'T. BLOW. IT.

(heheh. got that from Entertainment Weekly)
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jun 20, 2006 at 01:13 AM »
Star World should pick up on this....after all they carried the original UK version
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2006 at 07:56 PM by Phobos »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jun 21, 2006 at 08:52 AM »

Not to give anything away (although I don't really know how anyone can be spoiler-free these days), the last episode of the second season of the US version is heading towards "uncharted BBC version territory". A special message to the writers of the NBC version:

DON'T. BLOW. IT.

Oh, I love that ending! They departed from the BBC version.... risky, but it worked very well. It's not even a chick moment, guys swooned in some other forum. ;D So.... I take back what I said last year about not feeling Jim and Pam. I now love them.

My favorite episode for Season 2? "Ryan started the fire...lalalala....lalalala"..... ;D
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2006 at 08:53 AM by CrUzAC[k]H »

Offline coco_men182

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jun 24, 2006 at 05:38 PM »
Season Two of the Carrell version to be released on DVD in September.

Offline kings5504

• DVD Guru
  • Rock Band Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Jun 25, 2006 at 12:15 AM »
^

I'm definitely getting that set...  And like another person at the above link said, I'm hoping that they include the cast's "The More You Know" PSA's.

This is the only sitcom i'm really following right now.  Well, this AND Entourage (which I also HIGHLY recommend!).
The war is over...  Now bring on the classics on HD!

Offline coco_men182

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jun 26, 2006 at 01:54 PM »
I don't think there's an Entourage thread yet. There should be one.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2006 at 04:38 PM by Reuven Malter »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #55 on: Jul 01, 2006 at 10:52 PM »
StarWorld will be airing the NBC version of The Office starting July 27, Thursday at 9:00PM.
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jul 02, 2006 at 12:37 AM »
Primetime Thursday. Cool.

Still have to get started with the BBC version.

Blasphemy!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jul 02, 2006 at 09:56 PM »
Just finished the first season of the BBC version. Love both versions so far. Would like to get started with the Christmas specials but I have trouble getting hold of episodes four and six of season two.

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jul 02, 2006 at 10:26 PM »
^ If I were you, I'd watch the Christmas Specials sometime, oh... December.  Let all the eps of Seasons 1 and 2 age and mellow inside you a while.  Then bam!  ;D

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jul 04, 2006 at 03:30 AM »
StarWorld will be airing the NBC version of The Office starting July 27, Thursday at 9:00PM.

GREAT!!!!!!