Author Topic: Home Makeover Reality Shows  (Read 2573 times)

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Home Makeover Reality Shows
« on: Aug 27, 2004 at 03:31 PM »
I'm patterning this thread somewhat like TWoP's "how-to" reality forums, where they dump all their cooking, D-I-Y, and beauty/fashion makeover shows. However, this thread will just be about the home makeover shows, where rooms are renovated without the user's knowledge or participation.

To start--who watches Clean House on the Lifestyle Network? I love that show, as everyone is very good at what they do--and the results are almost always excellent.

For those not familiar with this show, this show makeovers cluttered homes by removing all the junk and selling it at a yard sale. The profits from the sale are then doubled by the producers, and that money is used to renovate the rooms while the owners are sent away to a hotel for a couple of days. A Yard Sale Guy, an Organizer, an Interior Designer, and a diva-like host comprise the group that comes to the aid of homeowners. Often the homeowners are reluctant to part with their clutter, which makes for interesting moments, but the payoff could be a fabulous-looking, clutter-free home, and the owners are usually surprised and pleased at how their homes have turned out in the end. Wish they could do that here...

The cast is great, from the funny host, actress Niecy Nash, to actor and Yard Sale Guy Allan Lee Haff, organizers Linda Koopersmith and Tanya Whitford, and designers Michael Moloney & Mark Brunitz. Moloney and Brunitz should be familiar to Lifestyle Network viewers, as they often appear in other programs like Area and Designer's Challenge.

Speaking of Area, it's been reformatted from a home & lifestyle show into a makeover show, where designers are given $2500 and 48 hours to renovate a room. The gimmick here is that the room owners are sent away while people close to them (friends or relatives) are the ones who do the renovating, all under the guidance of one interior designer. The end results are mostly great, and one can also pick up great design ideas here.

Other shows of this type that I'd like to watch but don't seem to be shown here are Trading Spaces (neighbors renovating each others' rooms); Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (an entire team of carpenters, builders, and designers makeover a house in one weekend), and While You Were Out (owners don't even know their rooms are being renovated)--are these shows being aired here?
« Last Edit: Dec 26, 2006 at 08:16 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Home makeover reality shows
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2004 at 06:21 PM »
To start--who watches Clean House on the Lifestyle Network?

*raises hands*  ;D Of their group, I love that blonde lady who organizes the cabinets. I want to do my cabinets the way she does it. It's so perfect!

The thing about this home makeover shows --- they make it look so easy, when it's actually not. Or maybe I'm just not creative and I get lazy almost after I start my projects. :-\  Lifestyle Network has tons of home makeover shows, and I used to watch them all. Now, I don't anymore, coz I just get frustrated.  :P ;D

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2004 at 07:38 PM by PARC »

Offline sungit

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • I'm a level 5 vegan.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2004 at 07:57 PM »
there's tons of interior designing reality shows here in australia. aussies seem to love decorating and renovation and real estate as much as they love their rugby and beer.  a list of some makeover reality shows are:

The Block
Auction Squad
Burke's Backyard
The Hot House
Hot Auctions

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2004 at 11:59 PM »
The thing about this home makeover shows --- they make it look so easy, when it's actually not. Or maybe I'm just not creative and I get lazy almost after I start my projects. :-\  Lifestyle Network has tons of home makeover shows, and I used to watch them all. Now, I don't anymore, coz I just get frustrated.  :P ;D

Hehe, I know what you mean--I hate my room and house a little bit more everytime I watch those shows; I must've rearranged and organized my desk hundreds of times, but it still looks like a fire hazard.  :P

Oh, and that blonde woman with the tinny voice is Linda Koopersmith, a professional organizer--she's really amazing, and usually works with those Rubbermaid products that can be quite expensive here.

there's tons of interior designing reality shows here in australia. aussies seem to love decorating and renovation and real estate as much as they love their rugby and beer.

ah, kaya pala one of their longest-running home ideas program is Our House, which I remember watching here when it aired on Net 25. That's a good show, if a bit short (30 minutes land yata).

Isn't there also an Australian version of Changing Rooms, that British makeover reality show that was Americanized as Trading Spaces when they brought it in the USA?
« Last Edit: Aug 28, 2004 at 12:14 AM by AshKetchum »

Offline CrUzSACK

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am an entourage.
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2004 at 09:57 AM »
I just found out that Courtney Cox Arquette does her own homemakeover reality show called Mix It Up, with her husband. She puts to good use her architecture background.

Offline shuttertrigger

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • 1, 2, 3 say Kimchi!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 657
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2004 at 10:08 AM »
Its my fave Home Improvement show - Clean House

Niecy Nash

Michael Malone - the designer
Linda Koopersmith - the organizer
Allen - the yard sale guy

I also like the flowers on the ear of of Niecy

;D :D ;)
Hey, that's my bike!

Offline cherubrock

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • DVD Addict
  • use soap
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2004 at 02:33 AM »
I dig how the Fab 5 always (well, almost) does a great job with reworking a guys place in Queer Eye. It's also interesting to watch Knock First transform a teener's room, with interesting (not always pretty) results. And, I really envy how on top of the makeover they get free stuff along with it like widescreen TVs, laptops, or HT systems!  :o Hey, local network producers, copy this formula naman! And pick me!!  ;D

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2004 at 11:48 AM »
The Lifestyle Network has been airing new episodes of Clean House lately. It looks like Michael Moloney's gone, but Mark Brunetz is a really good replacement--he was a bit quiet a first, but now he's coming into his own.

And Niecy got a makeover--she's slimmer, has straighter hair, and looks fabulous.  8)

Offline HomecomingQueeR

• Apprentice
  • Schadenfreude!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2004 at 01:18 AM »
michael malone is now the designer in Extreme Make-over Home edition. I guess the pay there is alot better. hee.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2005 at 02:34 PM »
ok... lately i've been getting hooked on the new aussie show on cable called: THE BLOCK.

it's actually a reality program based on home makeovers... :D

you take 4 couples: 3 straight ones and 1 gay couple, and you let them renovate different apartment units in an old almost-dilapidated building...  they have a fixed budget and have only a few weeks to finish. at the end of the specified time, the units will be auctioned off. the one that gets the most money in the auction wins the contest.  ;D

nice formula for a show, don't ya think? plus, all the couple are fairly nice to look at (is it in the water?? gee! these aussie gals are HOT!) plus, for the ladies, the host is an ex-male stripper who now works as celebrity gardener & landscaper. LOL. lots of drama... lots of interesting home makeover stuff to pick up on...

season one episodes are shown every week on discovery travel & living at the following schedules: saturday 10pm, sunday 8am, monday 6pm and tuesday 6am

u guys might wanna check it out... :D
« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2006 at 12:36 AM by SPaCeMaN SPiFF »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2006 at 08:16 PM »
Other shows of this type that I'd like to watch but don't seem to be shown here are...  Extreme Makeover: Home Edition (an entire team of carpenters, builders, and designers makeover a house in one week)

It's been airing on RPN 9, but beginning 2007:

Airs in the Philippines on Wednesdays at 8PM on 2nd Avenue.  8)
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline AsiaStreak

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • We make this world less primitive
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 07:26 PM »
ok... lately i've been getting hooked on the new aussie show on cable called: THE BLOCK.

it's actually a reality program based on home makeovers... :D

you take 4 couples: 3 straight ones and 1 gay couple, and you let them renovate different apartment units in an old almost-dilapidated building...  they have a fixed budget and have only a few weeks to finish. at the end of the specified time, the units will be auctioned off. the one that gets the most money in the auction wins the contest.  ;D

nice formula for a show, don't ya think? plus, all the couple are fairly nice to look at (is it in the water?? gee! these aussie gals are HOT!) plus, for the ladies, the host is an ex-male stripper who now works as celebrity gardener & landscaper. LOL. lots of drama... lots of interesting home makeover stuff to pick up on...

season one episodes are shown every week on discovery travel & living at the following schedules: saturday 10pm, sunday 8am, monday 6pm and tuesday 6am

u guys might wanna check it out... :D

I am also a fan of this show! kahit replay, pinapanood ko. is it being shown here? parang hindi...
napanood ko lang, hanggang nung wedding nina jane and matt... di ko na nasundan, since bumalik ako dito sa pinas.  :-[ bitin na bitin ako. btw, may site na sila! http://theblock.ninemsn.com.au/theblock/

nga pala, just saw an ad earlier... there will an episode on Lifestyle Network featuring home theaters on Saturday Jan. 13 at 2:30 PM. sana mapanood ko.  :D
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2007 at 07:31 PM by AsiaStreak »
check out our other products ->  www.Asiastreak.com

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 08:04 PM »
it's not airing anymore... it's been quite a while since i posted that. but you never know, discovery travel & living might re-air it sometime.  ;)

Offline AsiaStreak

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • We make this world less primitive
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2007 at 08:28 PM »
it's not airing anymore... it's been quite a while since i posted that. but you never know, discovery travel & living might re-air it sometime.  ;)

:) so it was actually shown here pala!?  :-[ aw... too bad I just saw this thread today.  :-[
now, I have to settle for clips na lang on their site... well, better than nothing.  ;D
check out our other products ->  www.Asiastreak.com