Author Topic: Top Chef  (Read 4966 times)

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Top Chef: Just Desserts
« Reply #30 on: Sep 07, 2011 at 03:02 PM »
Yeah, that was the most irritating top three in a reality competition series in recent memory. Yigit's such a whiner. I'd lump him with the girl who won in season 6 of Project Runway as one of the most irritating winners ever.

By the way, yes, I do watch Project Runway, hehe.

Offline AshKetchum

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 31
Top Chef: Texas
« Reply #31 on: Sep 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM »
Bravo's press release follows:

Bravos’s Top Chef: Texas Premieres Wednesday, November 2 at 10 PM ET/PT

New York - September 21, 2011 - It’s a whole new ballgame for the competing chefs on Bravo’s Top Chef: Texas, premiering Wednesday, November 2 at 10 p.m. ET/PT. For the first-time ever, season nine will boast a record 29 chefs - almost double the amount of chefs in season’s past - who will see if they have what it takes to become an official chef’testant and qualify to wear the Top Chef coat. Only 16 will go on to compete across the Lone Star State - in Austin, Dallas and San Antonio. In what will prove to be the most challenging season yet, some of the biggest names in food, music and entertainment including Charlize Theron, Pee-wee Herman, Cat Cora, John Besh, Tim Love, Patti LaBelle will be featured this season on Top Chef: Texas. Returning to the Judges’ table is host Padma Lakshmi and head judge, chef Tom Colicchio, alongside judges Gail Simmons and new this season, famed chef and restaurateur Emeril Lagasse and critically acclaimed chef Hugh Acheson. For more information, visit www.BravoTV.com. Follow us on Twitter at https://twitter.com/BravoPR.

Head judge Tom Colicchio says, "Just like Texas, this will be our biggest season ever."

Adds Host Padma Lakshmi, "I'm so excited for everyone at home to get a glimpse of all the great and talented chefs. This season is bigger and better than ever! Yum!"

The Top Chef: Texas chef’testants will be skewered down week by week as they compete to out-flavor, out-cook and out-do their competition. The winning chef will receive $125,000 furnished by Healthy Choice, a feature in Food & Wine magazine, a showcase at the Annual Food & Wine Classic in Aspen and will earn the title of "Top Chef." The Emmy Award-winning Magical Elves return to produce Top Chef: Texas. Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz serve as executive producers. To check out exclusive casting videos for all 29 hopefuls, go to: http://www.bravotv.com/top-chef/season-9/videos/casting-videos

Following are the 29 Top Chef: Texas hopefuls:
- Nyesha Arrington, 28 - Los Angeles, Calif., Wilshire Restaurant.
- Lindsay Autry, 29 - West Palm Beach, Fla., Omphoy Ocean Resort &Michelle Bernstein
- Jonathan Baltazar, 36 - Long Beach, Calif., Heights Cuisine.
- Ty-Lör Boring, 34 - Brooklyn, N.Y., Spasso
- Molly Brandt, 30 - Hollywood, Fla., Allure of the Seas for Royal Caribbean
- Chaz Brown, 29 - New York, N.Y., Fatty Crab
- Kimberly Calichio, 27 - New York, N.Y., Fishtail by David Burke
- Beverly Kim, 31 - Chicago, Ill., Aria Restaurant
- Chris Crary, 29 - Los Angeles, Calif., Whist Restaurant in the Viceroy Hotel
- Andrew Curren, 32 - Austin, Texas , 24 Diner
- Berenice deAraujo, 33 - Miami, Fla., Sra. Martinez
- Janine Falvo, 37 - Atlanta, Ga., Briza Restaurant
- Richie Farina, 28 - Chicago, Ill., MOTO
- Sarah Grueneberg, 29 - Chicago, Ill., Spiaggia
- Chris Jones, 30 - Chicago, Ill., MOTO
- Edward Lee, 38 - Louisville, Ky., 610 Magnolia
- Whitney Otawka, 30 - Cumberland Island, Ga., Greyfield Inn
- Simon Pantet, 30 - Seattle, Wash., Twenty-Two Doors
- Colin Patterson, 37 - Seattle, Wash., Sutra
- Laurent Quenioux, 51 - Los Angeles, Calif., Vertical Wine Bistro
- Paul Qui, 30 - Austin, Texas, Uchiko Restaurant
- Keith Rhodes, 39 - Wilmington, N.C., Catch Restaurants
- Grayson Schmitz, 27 - New York, N.Y., Exec. Chef
- Tyler Stone, 22 - Sacramento, Calif., Personal Chef
- Heather Terhune, 39 - Chicago, Ill., Sable Kitchen and Bar
- Chuy Valencia, 25 - Chicago, Ill., Chilam Bilam
- Nina Vicente, 29 - Seattle, Wash., Spur Gastropub
- Ashley Villaluz, 25 - Seattle, Wash., Sous Chef
- Dakota Weiss , 35 - Los Angeles, Calif., 9:30 Restaurant and The Backyard

New this season, eliminated chef’testants will have a second chance at the Top Chef title through a Top Chef: Last Chance Kitchen webisode series, hosted by Top Chef lead judge and culinary mastermind, Tom Colicchio. Each week, two eliminated chef’testants face-off to compete for the ultimate prize -- a chance to return to the show and compete to qualify for the on-air finale. Fans can follow the Top Chef: Last Chance Kitchen challenges and vote in each week's Tweet Battle on BravoTV.com, as well as join in the social conversation on the Tweet Tracker. This exciting new series can be seen on BravoTV.com, m.BravoTV.com, on BravoNow iPhone, iPad and Android apps, as well as Hulu, iTunes, Amazon, VOD, Zune, Playstation and wireless carriers.

29 chefs?  :o

And ugh, Emeril... okay I guess; at least it's not that douchebag Bobby Flay.

Looks like they reduced the prize money, LOL. The Last Chance Kitchen battles sounds promising, since they don't want to change their elimination rules anyway by making past wins count.

« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2011 at 11:33 AM by AshKetchum »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Top Chef: Texas
« Reply #32 on: Nov 07, 2011 at 06:42 PM »
Just watched the premiere; it was good as usual, but it turns out those 29 contestants aren't final--they're using the system in previous seasons of Top Chef: Masters, where a preliminary competition will determine the final roster of 16 chef contestants.

About the only thing I didn't like was the added element about competing for a Top Chef coat to get in--it was too MasterChef-ish for me.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Nov 08, 2011 at 03:03 PM »
Emeril diminishes the show somewhat for me. He, Rocco Dispirito and Bobby Flay are in my sh*t list.

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Nov 14, 2011 at 04:48 PM »
One of the contestants, Ashley Villaluz, has a Filipino husband, and she says his grandmother taught her to make karekare, which she tried making for the qualifying round. Unfortunately, the oxtail did her in.  :D 

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Nov 23, 2011 at 09:43 PM »
Just watched the Season 2 finale--overall, this was a much better season than the first, with a deserving winner. I was just baffled by the judges' statements during most of their table discussions; they would gush over how good someone's dessert was as compared to the other chefs, then send that person home--wtf?

Damn this show, after watching that, I'm craving for some dessert--is there any place here that serves entremet cakes or bananas foster?  ;D

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 01, 2011 at 09:06 AM »
Very good 4th episode--particularly because Emeril and Unibrow Hugh were nowhere in sight. Instead, we got two of my favorite chefs as guest judges: the too hot tamales themselves, Susan Feniger & Mary Sue Milliken. It was great to see them again together.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Dec 01, 2011 at 10:18 AM »
Personally, I think Sally should've won but I knew a mile away that Chris Hanmer was gonna win it when the show started squeezing in his baby daughter's condition and that he needed money for hospital bills.

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Dec 17, 2011 at 07:46 PM »
The most recent episode was unpleasant to watch, no thanks to Heather Terhune, who is probably the most vile bitch in the show's history--her frequent whining and bullying of Beverly continued, and she proceeded to tear her apart right in front of Judge's Table, ratting on something Beverly did during last week's challenge...wtf??? Peeling shrimp didn't even have anything to do with this week's challenge, and why would you throw your team partner under the when you're also going down with her?

She seems to have a particular hatred of Beverly, and some have said that her taunts were also a bit racist. Hopefully this abrasive fat cow will get what she deserves later on.

This season has been rather meh--what's up with all those annoying team challenges? And Tom Colicchio appears to be grouchy and drunk most of the time.  :P

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #39 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 05:12 PM »
Fil-Am wins 'Top Chef' season 9

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/03/01/12/fil-am-wins-top-chef-season-9

Dito ba sya sa season 9?
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Mar 01, 2012 at 05:22 PM »
Fil-Am wins 'Top Chef' season 9

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/03/01/12/fil-am-wins-top-chef-season-9

Dito ba sya sa season 9?

Yes! He was one of my bets from the very beginning. This season was the worst ever--too many team challenges cooking for a gazillion people (they should've retitled this show Top Caterer) and not enough individual contests, as well as having the most number of annoying, bullying, racist bitches in the form of Heather, Sarah, and Lindsay--I'm glad these bitches lost to a truly deserving winner.  :D
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2012 at 09:06 PM by AshKetchum »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Mar 14, 2012 at 06:22 PM »

Offline SiCkBoY

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
Re: Other Reality Shows: Currently discussing - TOP CHEF
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2013 at 11:04 AM »
Top Chef Season 10

Fil-Hawaiian Sheldon Simeon prepared a modern Sinigang and the judges loved it!

I couldn't believe it. I thought the judges wouldn't get it, but they did!

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Top Chef: Seattle
« Reply #43 on: Mar 02, 2013 at 07:45 PM »
I was initially reluctant to watch Top Chef: Seattle because of the horrible previous season in Texas, but my fears were dispelled from the first episode onwards, as this season more than made up for the crapfest last time.

Top Chef: Seattle had the best selection of contestants this time around, including 3 former contestants: Stefan Richter from Top Chef: New York, C.J. Jacobsen from Top Chef: Miami, and Fil-Am chef Josie Smith-Malave from Top Chef: Los Angeles. There's another Fil-am contestant, Sheldon Simeon from Hawaii, who highlighted Pinoy food during Restaurant Wars.

Stefan can be a douche at times, but he's hilarious, and while Josie can be frakking annoying, she's not as hateful as those three bitches and generally unpleasant human beings who ruined Top Chef: Texas for me.

This entire season appeared to be an apology for last season, as the series concentrated more on the food and each contestant's ability than the drama. It's good that they dispensed with the MasterChef-style of pre-elimination rounds before the official roster of contestants was announced, and even Restaurant Wars was tweaked a bit from the usual style. There were fewer team and catering competitions this time around, which was good, but the finale was staged Iron Chef-style, before a live audience, which was really, really bad--hope they don't do this type of finale again.

This was also the first time that all my favorites ended up in the final four, and my two overall favorites ended up in the finale, but the best thing of all was that my favorite contestant from the very start ended up winning the title of Top Chef--Kristen Kish, who looks like she could pass for a younger sister of Hawaii Five-0's Grace Park. She was unjustly eliminated early on as she responsibly took the blame for Josie's crap, but she redeemed herself during the Last Chance Kitchen competitions, earning her the right to return to the finale.  Kristen is the second female chef to win the title of Top Chef.

« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2013 at 02:23 AM by AshKetchum »

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Top Chef: New Orleans
« Reply #44 on: Oct 26, 2013 at 12:29 PM »

4 episodes in and so far, so good. Despite the numerous and unavoidable New Orleans tropes (gumbo, Katrina, etc.) this season is shaping up nicely. It's good that they completely removed that American Idol/MasterChef-style of eliminations at the beginning, so we get the actual competition from the 1st episode onwards.

Just like last season, contestants are a good mix, and they seem to fulfill a requirement that every season should include a bearded gnome for a contestant, LOL. Doesn't seem to have any Pinoys though, unlike in Seattle and Texas.

Current favorites include the Australian hottie, the blonde who's a friend of last season's winner, the pixie-ish girl who looks like Violet from Willy Wonka, the woman who dresses up in a 1950s rockabilly style, the bearded New Orleans native, and the two asians.

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #45 on: Mar 22, 2016 at 01:14 PM »
http://preen.inquirer.net/24139/filipino-top-chef-winner-was-recently-arrested-in-austin-texas

Paul claims that he did get mad when his girlfriend agreed to group sex, and early Saturday morning asked her to call 911 as their situation got out of hand and that he is innocent. The incident made him think about his drug and alcohol use. He is reported to get himself into rehab.

Wahahaha kinky!
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline AshKetchum

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re: Top Chef
« Reply #46 on: Nov 30, 2016 at 12:50 PM »

Season 14 of Top Chef is set in Charleston, South Carolina, and premieres tomorrow, December 1. This season will have 16 contestants -- 8 new chefs and 8 returning chefs from past seasons that include Filipino-American Sheldon Simeon from Season 10 and previous contestants Amanda Baumgarten (Season 7), Shirley Chung (Season 11), Sam Talbot (Season 2), Katsuji Tanabe (Season 12), John Tesar (Season 10), Casey Thompson (Season 3), and Brooke Williamson (Season 10).

Padma Lakshmi, Tom Colicchio, and Gail Simmons all return as hosts and judges, and are joined by new judge Graham Elliott, who previously judged MasterChef for 6 seasons.