Author Topic: 15 Best Filipino Actresses of All Time  (Read 7044 times)

Offline acyl_halide

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
15 Best Filipino Actresses of All Time
« on: Sep 06, 2004 at 10:16 AM »
Here's the list:

The 15 Best Filipino Actresses of All Time, drawn up by the Directors’ Guild of the Philippines Inc. (DGPI) through its president Carlitos Siguion-Reyna, as requested by Yes! magazine editor-in-chief Jo-Ann Maglipon.

The criteria: The candidate’s choice of films; the impact, importance and legacy of her performance in these films; the consistency of excellence in those portrayals; and other important services to cinema in particular and to society in general.

The DGPI officers who sat as board of judges included Joel Lamangan, chairman; Carlitos Siguion-Reyna, president; Emmanuel Borlaza, vice-president; Joey Romero, secretary; Mel Chionglo, treasurer; and Erik Matti, Maryo J. delos Reyes and Romy Suzara, board members.

Here’s the Honor Roll (and some of the actresses’ memorable films), in alphabetical order (for the complete coverage, see the September issue of Yes! magazine):

1. Gina Alajar (Bayan Ko: Kapit sa Patalim, Orapronobis, Salome, Brutal and Moral)

2. Nora Aunor (Minsa’y Isang Gamu-Gamo; Tatlong Taong Walang Diyos; Bona; Bulaklak sa City Jail; Condemned; Merika; Andrea, Paano Ba Maging Ina?; Ina Ka ng Anak Mo; Sidhi, Bakit May Kahapon Pa?; and The Flor Contemplacion Story)

3. Nida Blanca (Korea, Waray-Waray, Batanguena, Luneta, Ikaw Kasi, Miguelito and Sana Pagibig Na)

4. Sharon Cuneta (Dapat Ka Bang Mahalin?, Bukas Luluhod ang Mga Tala, Pasan Ko ang Daigdig and Madrasta)

5. Rita Gomez (Reyna Bandida, Ganid sa Laman, Tatlong Magdalena, Avenida Boy, Pagdating sa Dulo and Larawan, the stage play)

6. Hilda Koronel (Maynila: Sa Mga Kuko ng Liwanag, Kung Mangarap Ka’t Magising, Angela Markado, Nagsimula sa Puso, Tanging Yaman and Crying Ladies)

7. Elizabeth Oropesa (Pinakamagandang Hayop sa Balat ng Lupa; Lumapit, Lumayo ang Umaga; Nunal sa Tubig; and Bulaklak ng Maynila)

8. Cherry Pie Picache (Sibak, Paraisong Parisukat and Bridal Shower)

9. Lolita Rodriguez (Gilda, Sapagkat Kami’y Tao Lamang, Tubog sa Ginto and Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang)

10. Gloria Romero (Dalagang Ilokana, Palaboy, Mga Anak sa Pagkakasala, Beloved, Eternally and Tanging Yaman)

11. Rosa Rosal (Anak Dalita, Badjao and Biyaya ng Lupa)

12. Vilma Santos (Burlesk Queen, Relasyon, Broken Marriage, Ikaw ay Akin, Miss X, Sister Stella L., Hahamakin ang Lahat, The Dolzura Cortez Story, Dekada ’70 and Bata, Bata, Paano Ka Ginawa?)

13. Charito Solis (Kundiman ng Lahi; Angustia; Malvarosa; Igorota; El Filibusterismo; Ina, Kapatid, Anak; City After Dark; Kisapmata; and Playgirl)

14. Maricel Soriano (Galawgaw, Pabling, Hinugot sa Langit, Kaya Kong Abutin ang Langit, Ikaw Pa lang ang Minahal, Dahas, Mila, Mano Po and Abot-Kamay ang Pangarap)

15. Lorna Tolentino (Moral, Aliw, Maging Akin Ka Lamang, Luksong Tinik, Narito ang Puso Ko and Mano Po 2)

The DGPI came up with this list but I cannot help but point out the glaring ommissions of such acting stalwarts such as Charo Santos (Kisapmata, Itim, Kakabakaba), Amy Austria (Brutal, Jaguar), Jaclyn Jose (Private Show, Takaw Tukso, Macho Dancer, Itanong Mo sa Buwan, May Nagmamahal Sa  Iyo, Tuhog), Anita Linda (Sisa, Bakit Bughaw ang Kulay ng Langit?, Babae sa Bubungang Lata) and even Laurice Guillen (Tinimbang Ka Ngunit Kulang, Ina Kapatid Anak, Kang Mangarap Ka't Magising, sister Stella L.)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
Re: 15 Best Filipino Actresses of All Time
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2004 at 01:55 PM »
And what the hey is Sharon Cuneta doing on that list?  >:(

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Sep 06, 2004 at 08:39 PM »

i guess it has something to do with Maning Borlaza... he directed two of her chosen films Dapat Ka Bang Mahalin & Bukas, Luluhod Ang Mga Tala... i prefer her performance in Ang Silid,  the Brocka episode from Tatlong Mukha Ng Pag-Ibig.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Sep 07, 2004 at 08:38 AM »

She was actually good in Crying Ladies after my second viewing of the film & has some depth in Madrasta....

and where's CHERIE GIL on the lists...she was fine as the lesbian in MANILA BY NIGHT except that her voice in that movie has resemblance to comedienne Louella....also good as Trining Ojeda in ORO, PLATA, MATA.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2004 at 07:03 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 07, 2004 at 01:32 PM »

She was actually good in Crying Ladies after my second viewing of the film & has some depth in Madrasta....

I don't know about Crying Ladies but she was competent in Madrasta, no real sparks.

Still--against ANITA LINDA in SISA?! Are they on drugs?!
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2004 at 01:32 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 07, 2004 at 01:35 PM »
Cherie Gil is one of the best Filipina actress to barely have a career in Philippine cinema, and her underuse is a crime. She was especially fine in Bituing Walang Ningning (where she blows away the smegmastar), and Sugatang Puso, where  the delicacy of the performance there, in her near-final scene with Lorna T., reminded me of Ozu.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2004 at 07:18 PM »
Cherie Gil is one of the best Filipina actress to barely have a career in Philippine cinema, and her underuse is a crime. She was especially fine in Bituing Walang Ningning (where she blows away the smegmastar), and Sugatang Puso, where  the delicacy of the performance there, in her near-final scene with Lorna T., reminded me of Ozu.

How did she fare in Mike de Leon's straight to video film BILANGGO SA DILIM?

And if she took over the role of Gina Alajar in BRUTAL as Cynthia which I believe she was one of the original choices after Amy Austria opted for the Monica role. 

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2004 at 10:28 PM »

How did she fare in Mike de Leon's straight to video film BILANGGO SA DILIM?

And if she took over the role of Gina Alajar in BRUTAL as Cynthia which I believe she was one of the original choices after Amy Austria opted for the Monica role. 

was Bilanggo Sa Dilim the one shown at the Sony Cinema in Cubao? i'm quite sure i've seen it.

speaking of second choices... the role of Monica in Brutal was first offered to Alma Moreno but she opted to do Babalik Ka Rin with Rudy Fernandez instead... bad career choice. same with Salome... the role was supposed to be her's but Alma turned it down and did Carnival Queen in Rio de Janeiro for Gil Portes.

Offline Astroantiquity

• Collector
  • "Get Off the Internet!"
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2004 at 11:24 PM »
Yes, why is Sharon Cuneta doing in this list?  I would rather see Mona Lisa, or any other actress (there are more competent actresses out there) in this list.
There's nothing gratuitous about my films. --Dario Argento

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 08, 2004 at 08:58 AM »
Cherie was terrrific in Bilanggo sa Dilim, as another actress who belongs on that list more than Sharon, Rio Locsin.

I've seen Wyler's adaptation of The Collector. It's more faithful, but Mike's has this extra charge from feeling so personal (all his best films do) as well.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2004 at 12:34 PM »

Cherie Gil smells like a coffee brewing on the screen in that small flick....SUGATANG PUSO....very brief but remarkable role!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Sep 09, 2004 at 12:52 PM »
Cherie Gil smells very, very nice. She's got lovely smooth hands, too... ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2004 at 01:22 PM »
I think Amy Austria should be in this list.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2004 at 02:03 PM »
I think Amy Austria should be in this list.

You and all right-thinking Filipinos, man. Plus a whole lot of other deserving artists.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2004 at 07:04 PM »
Cherie Gil smells very, very nice. She's got lovely smooth hands, too... ;D

She was hot in Elwood Perez' PROBLEM CHILD....also memorable in Bernal's
WATING.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2004 at 07:11 PM »
My favorite Actresses are:

1. Gina Alajar
2. Amy Austria
3. Jacklyn Jose
4. Maricel Soriano
5. Chin-Chin Gutierrez
6. Cherrie Gil
7. Vilma Santos
8. Gloria Romero
9. Nora Aunor

Sorry 9 only.  ;)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Sep 11, 2004 at 09:52 AM »
No Sharon.

Good list! ;D

Offline JdelaCruz

• Collector
  • Bayan ni Juan
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Sep 11, 2004 at 11:11 AM »
Jaclyn Jose! How the hell can she not be in that list while Sharon is!

Offline adin

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2004 at 12:29 PM »
I Agree ! Sharon should be taken out of the list. Can anyone do something to take her off ? It lessens the credibility of the Guild and the list.

Jackyn Jose, Cherie Gil and Elizabeth Oropesa are far better actresses than Sharon with her trademark shout and fast dialogue, regardless of the role she is playing.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Mar 20, 2006 at 09:29 PM »
I don't know about Crying Ladies but she was competent in Madrasta, no real sparks.

Still--against ANITA LINDA in SISA?! Are they on drugs?!

Man, I was drunk when I noticed Cuneta in MADRASTA. Jaclyn Jose should be place on that 4th spot! She just glows on any kind of role.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2006 at 09:30 PM by keating »

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Mar 21, 2006 at 01:16 AM »
Yes Maricel Soriano is the best. Bakit walang "Inagaw Mo Ang Lahat Sa akin"?

Offline butsoy

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Apr 09, 2006 at 04:12 PM »
Maricel Soriano is always the Best. Her performances are all remarkable like in "Kaya Kong Abutin Ang Langit" wherein she said the classic line "Ayoko ng masikip, Ayoko ng walang tubig, Ayoko ng mabaho, Ayoko ng walang pagkain, at Ayoko ng Putik!". Sharon Cuneta?? She is only remembered because of her Box-Office hits.