Author Topic: Danny Zalcita  (Read 10221 times)

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Danny Zalcita
« on: Sep 23, 2004 at 02:05 PM »
Say what you will, but I think he's  one of the most underrated  directors our country ever produced. His works are witty, smart, funny, silly and unforgettable.  His works have unforgettable titles (Nagalit ang buwan sa haba ng gabi) and memorable lines ("Daig mo pa ang aatend sa premiere ng Kramer vs. Kramer"; "Once, Twice, Three times? Gaano kadalas ang minsan?"). 
« Last Edit: Sep 15, 2010 at 11:17 PM by RMN »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
Re: Danny Zalcita
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2004 at 04:52 PM »
he's actually one of my favorite Filipino filmmakers. Danny's films are tongue in cheek, funny & irreverent. movies like May Lamok Sa Loob Ng Kulambo & it's sequel May Daga Sa Labas Ng Lungga comes to mind... even the Pops Fernandez-Martin Nievera comedy Si Mister At Si Misis which featured strong comedic performances from the likes of Marissa Delgado, Lisa Lorena, Beth Bautista & Max Alvarado.

also adept in dramatic films... Danny brought us Palabra de Honor, Langis at Tubig, T-Bird at Ako and the only Sharon movie i really liked To Love Again, although i would've loved to have seen the original ending of the film where Bullet (Miguel Rodriguez' character dies.)

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2004 at 08:57 AM »
On the minus side is his scene-for-scene "copying" of little-known English movies.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #3 on: Oct 05, 2004 at 12:45 PM »
He gave pleasure, if not originality.

There's room in Philippine cinema for that, I think.

Offline pinoymovies

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2004 at 12:24 PM »
On the minus side is his scene-for-scene "copying" of little-known English movies.

Most critics thought his "copies" were better than the originals.  :)

Here's an excerpt from a Mario Bautista article on Danny Zialcita, from Intrigue Magazine, May 27, 1993:

May sariling style si Danny as a director. He is at his best when he is doing films about infidelity. It's a pity nga na later ay nagpaka-original na siya, pero hindi na ito napansin ng ibang award-giving bodies.

Malulutong ang dialogue sa mga pelikula ni Danny at hindi niya nalilimutang maglagay ng touches of comedy and irony sa movies niya.

Some of his best films for us ay Langis at Tubig (with Vilma Santos and Amy Austria fighting over Dindo Fernando), Kabiyak (with Pinky de Leon in a performance that should have won her a best actress award), Nagalit ang Buwan sa Haba ng Gabi (si Laurice Guillen naman as the wronged wife and dapat nagwagi rito), and Gaano Kadalas ang Minsan? (Vilma and Hilda Koronel competing for the late Dindo Fernando).

Offline nagalit

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2005 at 03:14 PM »
Hi, I write from Paris, I am interested by the film Nagalit and buwan sa haga ng gabi. Could you please give me any translation in english (the closest as possible from the text - word by word)? I can t find good information about the film in the web and I really need a translation of the title now. Do you have any idea where I could find some? Thank you. ;)

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Sep 03, 2005 at 04:53 PM »
He copied from Hollywood flicks--in certain instances even part by part--but is it that big an issue? To a certain extent, perhaps. But It doesn't bother me as I enjoyed a lot of his films without having any previous knowledge of where they were copied from. And I'm sure a lot do or did too.

Oh, yeah, he doesn't use a script.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2005 at 10:09 AM by RMN »

Offline nagalit

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Sep 13, 2005 at 08:44 PM »
Hi, everybody!!!I write from Paris, I am interested by the film "Nagalit and buwan sa haga ng gabi". Could you please give me any translation in english (the closest as possible from the text - word by word)? I can t find good information about the film in the web and I really need a translation of the title now. Do you have any idea where I could find some? Thank you. ;)

Offline DVDiva

• Kapitan
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Sep 13, 2005 at 09:04 PM »
I'm guessing. :)

Nagalit ang buwan sa haba ng gabi = The moon was angered by the long night.

buwan - moon
gabi - night
haba - pertaining to length
nagalit - past tense of galit v. to be angry or mad
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2005 at 09:15 PM by DVDiva »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #9 on: Sep 14, 2005 at 12:37 AM »
Oh, yeah, he doesn't use a script.

I heard someone say they saw him studying a movie on betamax, to copy it shot for shot.

That said, no, he's not bad. Everyone was excited at first--they thought he was brilliant, a possibly great filmmaker, very witty; when the story that his films were copied came out, the excitement died. But you can look at his films and see that he's really quite a craftsman, if not quite an artist; he improves on what he copies, even if only a little, at times more than a little.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2006 at 01:53 PM »
has anyone here seen Di sayo ang mundo, Babay Porcuna? Hear it's his best work.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2006 at 07:03 PM »
has anyone here seen Di sayo ang mundo, Babay Porcuna? Hear it's his best work.

i have seen Hindi Sa Iyo Ang Mundo Baby Porcuna. true, it's one of his better films but the real stand out was Beth Bautista's performance. she won the URIAN Best Actress Award in 1978 beating both Nora Aunor & Vilma Santos  in Ikaw Ay Akin. i still think Danny's best films were Lalaki, Babae Kami!, Ugat, Kulang Sa Init Kulang Sa Lamig & Kabiyak.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2006 at 08:49 PM »
It was hilarious to see the late Dindo Fernando & Ronaldo Valdez outdoing each other as homosexuals in that Zialcita comedy flick. Forgot again the title of that movie.  ;D

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2006 at 07:10 AM »
It was hilarious to see the late Dindo Fernando & Ronaldo Valdez outdoing each other as homosexuals in that Zialcita comedy flick. Forgot again the title of that movie.  ;D

it's Mahinhin Vs. Mahinhin, the sequel to Si Malakas, Si Maganda at Si Mahinhin...

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2006 at 03:23 PM »
Alright, I'm going to build myself a Danny Zalcita video collection! hehe. ;D

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Mar 31, 2006 at 10:26 PM »
it's Mahinhin Vs. Mahinhin, the sequel to Si Malakas, Si Maganda at Si Mahinhin...

Thanks, jo. There was a rumor before that he went downhill mainly because of drugs that's why he was confined in the basement of a well-known hospital.

His films can beat those witty lines in Ishmael Bernal flicks.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 01, 2006 at 07:22 PM »
Thanks, jo. There was a rumor before that he went downhill mainly because of drugs that's why he was confined in the basement of a well-known hospital.

His films can beat those witty lines in Ishmael Bernal flicks.

it's not a rumor... apparently it's true a very reliable source told me  ;)

Offline emvi_2000

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 2006 at 04:02 PM »
What Danny Zialcita films are available on DVD or VCD locally?  ???

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2006 at 06:39 PM »
there's Kulang Sa Init, Kulang Sa Lamig, May Lamok Sa Loob Ng Kulambo, Karma and from Kabayan Central: Menudo at Pandesal, Always And Forvever, Si Mister At Si Misis, from regalfilms.com Hawakan Mo At Pigilan Ang Kahapon and Bakit Manipis Ang Ulap? most of Zialcita's best films unfortunately are not available on any format.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Sep 04, 2007 at 12:05 PM »
Where in the world is Suzanne Gonzales?  ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 04, 2007 at 12:08 PM by RMN »

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Sep 05, 2007 at 12:56 AM »

....and why is Suzanne Gonzales appears in almost of Danny Zialcita's movies? She's not my favorite actress but I like it when she appears in movies like T-BIRD AT AKO and TO LOVE AGAIN. Her lines are always witty. :)

Offline coco b. ware

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 05:42 PM »
Naalala ko mga movies nya. madalas kasi sila magshooting sa tinitirahan namin sa mandaluyong before. In fact madalas kami extra sa movies nya. :)

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 07:22 PM »
Zialcita's brilliance was evident in his earlier films such as Basag Na Kristal, Ugat and Lalaki... Babae Kami! although these films didn't have his trademark witty dialogue, the stories were basically along the lines of his later masterpieces like Nagalit Ang Buwan Sa Haba Ng Gabi...
« Last Edit: Sep 07, 2007 at 06:56 AM by Jojo Devera »

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Sep 06, 2007 at 10:55 PM »
Zialcita brilliance was evident in his earlier films such as Basag Na Kristal, Ugat and Lalaki... Babae Kami! although these films didn't have his trademark witty dialogue, the stories were basically along the lines of his later masterpieces like Nagalit Ang Buwan Sa Haba Ng Gabi...
I bought Nagalit Ang Buwan Sa Haba Ng Gabi on VCD when I was in Manila last June. I should probably make time and check it out soon.

Offline coco b. ware

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 10:41 PM »
@rse

where did you buy the vcd?

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 02:08 PM »
Mahinhin vs. Mahinhin left me in stitches!  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #26 on: Mar 25, 2008 at 02:36 PM »
Where did you see it RMN? And where IS Suzanne Gonzales? I've got the biggest crush on her.

Offline rse

• DVD Guru
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 24, 2008 at 12:16 AM »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2008 at 02:05 PM »

Danny Zialcita ready for another project
By Bibsy M. Carballo
Monday, May 12, 2008

Dear Heart was the first movie of Sharon Cuneta and Gabby Concepcion that made Philippine cinema history. Nagalit ang Buwan sa Haba ng Gabi, Bakit Manipis ang Ulap, Bakit Madalas ang Tibok ng Puso, Kapag Tumabang ang Asin, May Lamok sa Loob ng Kulambo, May Daga sa Labas ng Lungga, Hindi sa Iyo ang Mundo Baby Porcuna were memorable movie titles that stood the test of time.

These trivia will forever be indelibly associated with the name of director Danny Zialcita. And now that Gabby has returned to the country and show business, it is only inevitable that Zialcita be sucked into all the prevailing Gabby controversies.

Those old enough to remember the name recall him best for his inventive kilometric movie titles, crisp and memorable dialogue, reputation with women, and big, big hits. Those of us in the industry can add our memories of one who often wrote his own screenplays and always directed without a script.

Zialcita was a fun-loving gifted and colorful filmmaker who left his mark as one of the best in the stimulating era of the ’60s and ‘70s. Then without any warning he left the industry. Stories of drug addiction, withdrawal from the world, and worse, loss of sanity dogged his absence until even his colleagues lost touch with him and didn’t know what to believe.

It has been some decades since we last set foot on the Zialcita home in Mandaluyong City which was often location for his movies. We didn’t know what to expect; wondered even why he had agreed to the interview. But we were not prepared for the Bible-quoting quick-witted person we encountered whose ideas seemed to hurry in his mind faster than he was able to articulate them; and certainly faster than we could follow his train of thought. Was this the drug-dependent we were afraid to meet? He laughed at the stories, admitting to some and scoffing at most.

If Zialcita was the master of improvisation on the set, he also had the knack for casting the right actors, choosing the right material, and pleasing his producers. One of his favorite actors was Dindo Fernando whom he termed “the compleat actor” and cast him in such movies as Langis at Tubig, Karma, Gaano Kadalas ang Minsan, Mahinhin at Mahinhin, its sequel Malakas, si Maganda at si Mahinhin and Ikaw at ang Gabi which gave Dindo his first Urian Best Actor trophy. Other favorites were Vilma Santos cast in Karma, T-Bird at Ako, Langis at Tubig; Pinky de Leon; Laurice Guillen; Ronaldo Valdes; and Beth Bautista who won Best Actress award in Hindi sa Iyo ang Mundo Baby Porcuna.

Zialcita himself, however, was always the best man and never the bridegroom except for the little remembered Philippine Movie Writers Award that gave birth to the current Star Awards. Danny doesn’t remember if it was for Karma or Langis at Tubig that he won as Best Director. More than the awards which he says is fraught with corruption, it is more important that he touches the audience with his films. “Do you know,” he asks us, “that the distance between the brain and the heart is 16 inches?” We couldn’t quite follow the point of his information since he was already quickly off to another topic.

He spoke of his dictum that has not changed through the years. Movies and television, he explains, are audio-visual arts and one must never forget the audio component in it.

Zialcita’s mind was not only as sharp as it was in the past; his excitement at reappearing once again on the scene was infectious. It was at this point that he spoke of Divine guidance. Although claiming not to belong to any particular church (“I’m not Born Again, I’m bored again!”), he told us of how God had been guiding his every move in the past. He would often repeat his belief that “Man starts and God finishes.” He felt this during the peak of his career when he was churning out movie after movie for his own outfit Essex, Sining Silangan, Viva Films, among others.

“Nine hits in a row? All with a playdate and without a script? That couldn’t have been possible without Divine intervention,” he interjects.

Now, he says, he is ready for another project. “Not a comeback because I have never been away.” And he is right. The years out of the public eye have been spent in spinning stories in his head. He spoke of one movie that broke the stronghold of Hollywood on sex and violence so prevalent at the time at the tail end of the ‘60s. Love Story was a simple if insipid tearjerker of love defeated by death with the tagline “Love means never having to say you’re sorry” which became even more popular than the movie. It starred Ali MacGraw and Ryan O’Neal, was released in 1970-71 after numerous rejections from the big producers and actors in Hollywood. The picture won Best Picture, Director, Musical Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Actress in the Oscars. And best of all, it reversed the trend on sex and violence.

Apparently, Zialcita is ripe for reversing trends in the Philippines. He admits we will never be able to compete in movies capitalizing on technology, but in the aspect of “heart” he still believes we are among the best. He is therefore ready for a project with “heart” if the producer has one ready for him. And if not, he has several stories already in his mind.

We ask him if he is willing to work in the digital format. He replies that if the project is right, technology can be easily learned. We probe farther, inquiring if he would be as brilliant as in the past. He laughs saying he would be better because this time there would be a script, his first written script in his entire career!

He told us one of his favorite stories of the World of the Demigods, a higher world nearer to Heaven and of how a girl there falls for a boy in the mortal world and asks for time on Earth. Like Love Story, it appeals to the romantic in us, but unlike Love Story, it has the innovativeness of a Zialcita love drama without its mawkishness. He even played us the theme song You are my Hidden Place from a Praise album, and is toying with the title To Love Again for the movie.

By sheer coincidence, Gabby’s father Rolly was on the phone talking with Danny and he hands us the phone. Apparently, Rolly has a story for Gabby he wants Danny to direct. Without divulging the concept, we can say that it is a good story for a general patronage audience that Zialcita can go to town with. We strive to remind him of Gabby’s problems with Star Cinema and GMA Films, plus the existence of Rose Flaminiano as manager. He waves these away as if to say, “All these can easily be resolved.” After all, didn’t he say that man starts and God finishes. If it was meant to be, it will happen.

We leave the Zialcita home imbibing the excitement he was feeling, certain that he would be on the phone soon. Sure enough, he was on the cellphone after a few minutes saying he had a tagline for To Love Again: “Love unattainable. Forbidden. Too heartfelt to forget. Too painful to remember” with the admonition to relay that to the Gozons at GMA 7. Danny Zialcita was indeed intent on reclaiming his rightful place in Philippine entertainment.

E-mail me at [email protected]

Offline thegoodbyeguy

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Jun 27, 2008 at 04:20 AM »

GAANO KADALAS ANG MINSAN? (1982) - There's always something about Danny Zialcita's films that are indescribable and always a fun to watch no matter how absurd sometimes the storyline. Recently, GMA-7 once again rebooted into a TV series a tried and tested 1982 flick of the same name. I dare not watch it.

Regarding the movie, I love the song by Basil that became one of the most recognizable movie themes of all time. I also love the last five minutes of the movie showing how the story of two women in love with the same man eventually ends. The split screen technique at the very last minute also works very effectively. Probably my favorite tagalog movie ending of all time. Schmaltzy? yes, but it indeed gets you. Vilma and Dindo appear most of the screen time but it's Hilda who's the core of the story. As always, Suzanne has an unforgettable role as a nanny to Vilma's son who was born a blue baby. The celebrated line ("once, twice?) never fails to be on the top ten of the most famous movie dialogue in tagalog flicks.

2ND BEST LINE: "What have you got now? Nothing! Wala kang kaibigan. Wala kang anak. Wala ka na ring asawa!" - Louie (Dindo) to Lily (Hilda) finding Vilma lifeless after giving birth to his son.

« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2008 at 01:55 AM by thegoodbyeguy »