Author Topic: Which way to go, analog or digital?  (Read 24591 times)

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Which way to go, analog or digital?
« Reply #90 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 01:27 PM »
Eh status quo lang daw pag analog. Kaya give me "bragging rights"!..... Ahehehehehe ;D :o

Lifestyle is a product of Bose  ;D
Kidding aside, if your not devoted to audio music (audiophile) you will never appreciate TT!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #91 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 01:35 PM »
jojo,

when i said hobby, it has passion that i dedicated myself whatever it is! >:D let's just be true to ourselves, as synchro_01 posted "you gotta live with the gear to know it well."

how will you know if you don't have it and do serious listening.

senyor paldo, dapat digital or analog, hindi lifestyle.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

it's true that it's a part of our hobby, a part that we can't listen to...  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2005 at 03:25 PM by s2kov »

Offline kimpao

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #92 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 01:42 PM »
Kidding aside, if your not devoted to audio music (audiophile) you will never appreciate TT!
Kidding aside, what you're saying is also applicable to digital.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Think HARDER - HOLLOW Heads! No FO0Ls Please!
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 01:48 PM »
given this, that is part of this hobby that we must accept for those who have high-end gears. i don't believe to people commenting which format and gear is good even if he doesn't have it and do serious listening.

And yet "serious listening" is again a very subjective matter to begin with . . . and it differs with those that use their ears and with those that use their SPL meters!  ;D

Pero psycho-wise, iba talaga kapag maganda dating ng japorms! its like nagiging pogi (kahit ngetpa ka) ka sa mga chikas pag may magara kang tsikot! Kahit walang ibubuga, may dating pa rin!  ;D

This is also the reason why, in a more level-headed personalities, selecting which is better is made in the light of what have been heard or tested so far (and it should be in the same environment).

Yeah, the cost of money in the bose lifestyle is basically geared to aesthetics genereally!  :P

Anti PDVD Malware (STUP1Ds & F0OLs)

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 01:56 PM »
Lifestyle is a product of Bose  ;D

E paano naman ang todong nag-aapreciate sa iPod at walkman, hindi ba sila devoted to audio music? ano ba laman ng iPod, wala pa ko non eh!  ;D

I think what audiophile aspire is not devotion to music but devotion to the realistic (relative to ones concept of whats real  ;D) reproduction of music

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 01:58 PM »
i agree with you, audio is very subjective. :) i'm just curious with others commenting which format or gears is good even they don't have it! ;D

And yet "serious listening" is again a very subjective matter to begin with . . . and it differs with those that use their ears and with those that use their SPL meters!  ;D

Pero psycho-wise, iba talaga kapag maganda dating ng japorms! its like nagiging pogi (kahit ngetpa ka) ka sa mga chikas pag may magara kang tsikot! Kahit walang ibubuga, may dating pa rin!  ;D

This is also the reason why, in a more level-headed personalities, selecting which is better is made in the light of what have been heard or tested so far (and it should be in the same environment).

Yeah, the cost of money in the bose lifestyle is basically geared to aesthetics genereally!  :P

Offline aHobbit

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 02:01 PM »
I'd rather put it this way "One's lifestyle is dictated by his income".   ;)

Ones lifestyle is dictated by his TT or CDP
Ones TT or CDP is dictated by his income
ones income is dictated by his lifestyle (as in govt officials)

parang pareho silang lahat ah!  ;D

Offline john5479

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • crash and burn!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #97 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 02:14 PM »
hmmm, when aesthetics comes into play there are good looking tt's and cdps, if i had the moolah i would get a gyrodec or an oddyssey for the looks alone  ;D and a zanden cd player for the digital front end based on looks alone  ;D conincedentally they are both well reviewed.  however there are other factors to consider in choosing whether to go analog or digital, each has its pros and cons...its just a matter of choice for the listener.
 - can he afford it ?
 - does he have time to maintain and listen ?
 - what to him has the most bang for buck ?
 - like it or not, there are people who choose one over the other based on what others will say  :'(
 - does it look good?

some questions to answer..just my 1 piso
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2005 at 02:15 PM by john5479 »

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 982
« Reply #98 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 02:21 PM »
i'm just curious with others commenting which format or gears is good even they don't have it! ;D

baka nabalitaan sa isang website ng kapatid ng kapitbahay ng pinsan nila na hindi maganda yung isang gear or format. daming ganyan bro  ;D

live with the gear to know it well...you will know both its positives and negatives.  30 minute auditions does not apply IMHO.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 02:50 PM »
Ones lifestyle is dictated by his TT or CDP
Ones TT or CDP is dictated by his income
ones income is dictated by his lifestyle (as in govt officials)

parang pareho silang lahat ah!  ;D

Ahahahahaha!!!!!.......... Nice one aHobbit. I totally agree with you on this....... ;D ;D ;D

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 02:52 PM »
Parang "Red" or "Blue" pill. Ahehehehehe................  ;D ;D ;D

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 03:00 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D kakatawa tlaga!

baka nabalitaan sa isang website ng kapatid ng kapitbahay ng pinsan nila na hindi maganda yung isang gear or format. daming ganyan bro  ;D

live with the gear to know it well...you will know both its positives and negatives.  30 minute auditions does not apply IMHO.
« Last Edit: Aug 23, 2005 at 03:03 PM by s2kov »

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Aug 23, 2005 at 03:09 PM »
baka nabalitaan sa isang website ng kapatid ng kapitbahay ng pinsan nila na hindi maganda yung isang gear or format. daming ganyan bro  ;D

synchro_01, yan ang tinatawag na "Audiofool"

But seriously, I could only agree with you and s2kov. The hobby is very subjective, everyone here has his own preference or even "snake-oil", i should say. In my opinion, a single track audition of any format or equipment wouldn't do justice to such, not even a single session would do.  Most of us here audition several setups before deciding what to buy or even get, diiba?
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2005 at 06:44 PM by kimpao »

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 11:58 AM »
i don't believe to people commenting which format and gear is good even if he doesn't have it and do serious listening.

Is this a forum for believing or justification, I tought this is just expressing somebodys opinion. Serious listening is very subjective, do we need to elaborate what is serious listening?
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 12:13 PM »
yes, we are expressing our opinion which is good. but our opinion will be supported of what gears do we have. how can you say that this format is better than this even if you don't have it. serious listening can only be done if you give more time in listening and not just attending any sessions and/or go to audio shop and audition the gears you want to listen.

Is this a forum for believing or justification, I tought this is just expressing somebodys opinion. Serious listening is very subjective, do we need to elaborate what is serious listening?
« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2005 at 12:19 PM by s2kov »

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #105 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 12:31 PM »
yes, we are expressing our opinion which is good. but our opinion will be supported of what gears do we have. how can you say that this format is better than this even if you don't have it. serious listening can only be done if you give more time in listening and not just attending any sessions and/or go to audio shop and audition the gears you want to listen.

Won't this alienate analog-only and digital-only users? As for serious listening, what if one listens to "music" more rather than to the sound one's gear makes?

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #106 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 12:38 PM »
E paano naman ang todong nag-aapreciate sa iPod at walkman, hindi ba sila devoted to audio music? ano ba laman ng iPod, wala pa ko non eh! ;D

I think what audiophile aspire is not devotion to music but devotion to the realistic (relative to ones concept of whats real ;D) reproduction of music
Correct that's an audiophile  aspires (as close as possible to reality).

odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #107 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 12:42 PM »
I'd rather put it this way "One's lifestyle is dictated by his income". ;)
Now we are talking about how much you can afford bro! Don't take it seriously, we're just talking about our opinion about "which way to go, analog or digital" not what best you have. ???
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #108 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 12:47 PM »
for me i have both analog and digital, but just like jetok, kim and the others, i find myself spending more time with analog vs. my digital rig...the "involvement" with analog is much much different as compared to digital...while i know that we are in the "digital age", for me LPs (especially mint ones) still sound much more superior than CDs, even if the CD is HDCD or even XRCD...the "warmth" is more felt in analog than digital...but this is me...

i've had a tube CDP before with the notion that i can "capture" the sound of analog with a good CDP, de tubo pa at that...but still the sound of analog would haunt me (i just had a technics back then)...

yes, this hobby is very subjective...even my closest audio friends, di kami mag-agree kung maganda or di maganda ang isang set-up because it's really subjective...a good friend of mine really loves analog but is too lazy to flip LPs that's why he sticks it out to digital...ako naman i find the thrill in the "preparation" stage before playing my favorite LPs, i.e. using the carbon fibre brush for the LP, using the stylus cleaner, etc....

and again, i agree with kim, simple math will reveal that analog is cheaper as a very good/mint LP would cost around P200-P400 imported, for local it ranges from P30-P150...what a thrill to also "hunt' for hard-to-find LPs just like Bong Penera's Samba Song, LPs of Juan Dela Cruz Band, Mike Francis, Julia Fordham, etc...

for me, it is still analog...but i'll keep my analog rig for those "lazy" days...thanks! :D :D :D

Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #109 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 12:50 PM »
. serious listening can only be done if you give more time in listening and not just attending any sessions and/or go to audio shop and audition the gears you want to listen.

OK, thats your opinion. Attending sessions & shop audition is not serious listening. Anybody agree?
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #110 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 02:15 PM »
Don't take it seriously, we're just talking about our opinion about "which way to go, analog or digital" not what best you have. ???
Nope, never took it seriously.  ;D ;D

Now we are talking about how much you can afford bro!

For me Digital is the way to go, analog is just a sort of collection & status symbol as an audiophile.

If I were talking about "How much one can afford" then I would be having the same opinion as yours, right? And   I would be voicing such opinion as this "analog is just a sort of collection & status symbol as an audiophile"  ;D

Now going back to the topic. Analog or Digital, which way to go. Bottomline, it really depends on ones preference.  Sound Quality of each format, depende pa rin kung ano preference mo. Now, if we are to claim that one costs more than the other, that is debatable.  Going analog is not "Status Symbol", it's basically which format you prefer. Look, I previously own a flagship model CDP which I got for 35K ++, I trashed it for what? An entry level new production TT which I only bought for 15K plus bnew, 3.4k for a bnew decent cartridge. Why? Even if the cdp sounded so great the enrty level TT was able to produce a more livelier and engaging sound for me.

Now which one is costs more? Is that status symbol? Again, do your math... ;)  ;D ;D ;D

If we are to ask Which is better, analog or digital? Everybody can go on discussing this for "centuries"and still end-up with no concrete results. Why? It's subjective, it's personal preference....

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #111 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 02:19 PM »
OK, thats your opinion. Attending sessions & shop audition is not serious listening. Anybody agree?

You should always consider equipment being used in the shop as well as room treatment.  Pag session naman, masyado magulo, pero masaya. Kaya ako home audition ang ginagawa ko for a couple of days.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Superman

• Trade Count: (+138)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Master Showman Presents...
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 366
« Reply #112 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 02:30 PM »
for me, serious listening means having time alone, in my room (and its condition/s), using my present gears to audition a specific product, because you'll only know if it sounds good to you in your own room and using your own gears...the gears and room condition in shops are (or maybe) different than your own...for listening sessions, again the gears and room condition may be different with  yours...agree with kim, home audition is the best! thanks! :D
Fyne|EAR|Hana|Technics|SAEC|Wiim|Western Electric|Audiolab|Acrolink|Oyaide|Oppo|Tellurium

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #113 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 02:35 PM »
Won't this alienate analog-only and digital-only users?

Don't think so.

As for serious listening, what if one listens to "music" more rather than to the sound one's gear makes?
If you're listening to the music and not the sound one's gear make, then it wouldn't be a problem, diba? As long as you enjoy the music, whether be it analog or digital, you wouldn't care what gear is producing such sound, diba.

Offline bumblebee

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #114 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 02:44 PM »
Don't think so.
If you're listening to the music and not the sound one's gear make, then it wouldn't be a problem, diba? As long as you enjoy the music, whether be it analog or digital, you wouldn't care what gear is producing such sound, diba.

Yes, yes.

I was just under the impression that one has to own and "seriously" use both formats before he gets to have a "valid opinion" on w/c is better.

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #115 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 02:49 PM »
that's the point! ;D

You should always consider equipment being used in the shop as well as room treatment.  Pag session naman, masyado magulo, pero masaya. Kaya ako home audition ang ginagawa ko for a couple of days.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #116 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 02:51 PM »
Now going back to the topic. Analog or Digital, which way to go. Bottomline, it really depends on ones preference. Sound Quality of each format, depende pa rin kung ano preference mo. Now, if we are to claim that one costs more than the other, that is debatable. Going analog is not "Status Symbol", it's basically which format you prefer. Look, I previously own a flagship model CDP which I got for 35K ++, I trashed it for what? An entry level new production TT which I only bought for 15K plus bnew, 3.4k for a bnew decent cartridge. Why? Even if the cdp sounded so great the enrty level TT was able to produce a more livelier and engaging sound for me.

Now which one is costs more? Is that status symbol? Again, do your math... ;) ;D ;D ;D

Opps, you haven't mention good Phono Stage & other accessories to play it well  ::)
Status symbol as devoted to audio music (your an Audiophile) ...........
No argument , your preference is Analog mine is different. As I have said I am not against Analog.
Lets go back to Topic

Which way to go? Analog or Digital?
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline odyopayl

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #117 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 02:57 PM »
You should always consider equipment being used in the shop as well as room treatment. Pag session naman, masyado magulo, pero masaya. Kaya ako home audition ang ginagawa ko for a couple of days. ;D ;D ;D
It depends on how you evaluate the equipment  in the shop, there are lshops that can offer space (acoustically treated room) and let you evaluate  alone for a day.
Sa Session naman, depends on place and attendees.

odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline synchro_01

• Trade Count: (+104)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 982
« Reply #118 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 03:01 PM »
shop audition and shootout sessions are OK but rarely do I decide to buy a piece of gear just because it performed well for an hour or two in front of me using a different set of gears and in a different listening environment to boot. This is where having a good business relationship with your friendly A/V shop comes into play.  The best would be to take the piece of gear home with you and give it a try for a couple of days using your gears and your room.  you may discover a lot of things this way that you didnt notice to begin with when you first auditioned it at the shop..like for example..what may be detailed and transparent when you tested it at the A/V store may turn out to be fatiguing and clinical when you use it at your place and with your gears.  Home audition is best talaga.
Pioneer Elite/Dynaudio/REL 7.1 THX
Pioneer DDJ SR2/Pioneer DM60/Mac Air M1
Sonos/NHT 2,1 sub sat

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #119 on: Aug 24, 2005 at 03:04 PM »
Opps, you haven't mention good Phono Stage & other accessories to play it well  ::)
Which way to go? Analog or Digital?
15k bnew entry level TT + 3.4K bnew cart + 8k phonostage = di pa rin talaga eh.  ;D ;D

Look, in purchasing gears whether digital or analog you really have to be wise.  ;)