Author Topic: Consonance Tube Amp  (Read 23550 times)

Offline s2kov

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Consonance Tube Amp
« on: Oct 12, 2004 at 07:04 PM »
Since there is no dedicated thread for Consonance, this will be the start to reveal the good quality of the amp. I once audition the M100 and 300B amps in shangrila plaza and they were sounds good to my ears....
« Last Edit: Oct 12, 2004 at 11:35 PM by s2kov »

Offline iceman90a

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • picture this!!
  • Liked:
Re: Consonace Tube Amp
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2004 at 07:10 PM »
lipat natin :)

M99 Plus

with cover, parang ST-70

without cover, mas gwapito

money is best spent

Offline JojoD818

• Trade Count: (+147)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57
Re: Consonance Tube Amp
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 12:25 AM »
Mas maganda yun nakahubad!

Ice,

Kamukha nun remote mo oh!  ;D

Offline audioslave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • used to be audioslave but now a fotoslave
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 12:34 AM »
shoot out na agad natin yan!! preferably, dun sana kila sir obet para mas madaling magbuhat.  ;D

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 12:41 AM »
shoot out na agad natin yan!! preferably, dun sana kila sir obet para mas madaling magbuhat.  ;D

hindi problema yan attorney, madami pupunta kaya madami din magbubuhat.  ;D very exciting naman!

teka, ano yun mga tubes pala nyan?

Offline audioslave

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 12:54 AM »
Consonance M99plus tube integrated amplifier

The fifth anniversary model, with volume and input selector. Due to reasonable input sensitivity, can be connected direct to CD source. If connected using the T99 pre-amplifier the sonic result will be even better. The circuit composes of three stages: Sovtek 12AX7LPS (ECC83) as the first SRPP stage, followed by Shuguang 6N8P (6SN7) driver stage with Shuguang 6P3P (6L6GC/KT66/5881) as the final power stage in class push pull class AB configuration. This is a classical circuit and the sonic performance is very high due to the design of the output transformer, tube circuit optimization and years of experience in the development of the M100SE. Uses fixed bias design with external individual bias adjustment for each 6P3P.

Control Functions: Volume, Select, Power On/Off
Inputs: CD, Aux and Line in

Specifications:

OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: 4,8 ohms. (User selectable)
Output Power at 1 kHz for less than 1%THD: 25W x2
Bandwidth at - 3dB: 6Hz to 60kHz
Input Sensitivity for Rated Output: 180mV
Signal / noise: 90dB
Input interfaces: 3 groups (RCA)
Input Impedance: 50k
Consumption: 90W
Tubes: 6P3Px4, 6SN7x2, 12AX7x2
Dimension: 446 (L) x 264 (W) x 155(H) mm
Weigh: 17kg(Net); 21kg(Shipping)

pre, what does SRPP means?
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2004 at 01:14 AM by audioslave »

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 08:27 AM »
Shunt Regulated Push Pull
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2004 at 08:28 AM by s2kov »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 09:56 AM »
Consonance M99plus tube integrated amplifier

The fifth anniversary model, with volume and input selector. Due to reasonable input sensitivity, can be connected direct to CD source. If connected using the T99 pre-amplifier the sonic result will be even better. The circuit composes of three stages: Sovtek 12AX7LPS (ECC83) as the first SRPP stage, followed by Shuguang 6N8P (6SN7) driver stage with Shuguang 6P3P (6L6GC/KT66/5881) as the final power stage in class push pull class AB configuration. This is a classical circuit and the sonic performance is very high due to the design of the output transformer, tube circuit optimization and years of experience in the development of the M100SE. Uses fixed bias design with external individual bias adjustment for each 6P3P.

Control Functions: Volume, Select, Power On/Off
Inputs: CD, Aux and Line in

Specifications:

OUTPUT IMPEDANCE: 4,8 ohms. (User selectable)
Output Power at 1 kHz for less than 1%THD: 25W x2
Bandwidth at - 3dB: 6Hz to 60kHz
Input Sensitivity for Rated Output: 180mV
Signal / noise: 90dB
Input interfaces: 3 groups (RCA)
Input Impedance: 50k
Consumption: 90W
Tubes: 6P3Px4, 6SN7x2, 12AX7x2
Dimension: 446 (L) x 264 (W) x 155(H) mm
Weigh: 17kg(Net); 21kg(Shipping)

pre, what does SRPP means?

Correct si master s2kov, ganda yan SRPP sir.

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 10:05 AM »

SHOOTOUT NA!![/size]
« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2004 at 10:11 AM by hans adriane »

Offline slayer

• Collector
  • Spread the Irie
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 10:40 AM »
Tourney,

Puwede ako magbuhat... kaso baka maiuwi ko yung mabuhat ko. ahehehe...  ;D

Scratch my TT!!

Offline s2kov

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 11:01 AM »
Jo, this is what frank's impression re SRPP.

Same mistakes over and over again: never use a stage with poor PSRR in an amp wich itself uses a topology that has hardly any PSRR to speak of....

Unless of course you're prepared to regulated the whole shebang, don't blame a particular topology unless you know why it fails to deliver....

Cheers,

The SRPP and mostly all stacked tube configurations I know of have poor PSRR so they really need a stiff, well filtered PS to work optimally.

SE amplifiers don't benefit from the PP noise cancelation effects either and have essentially their entire PS in series with the circuit.

Combining both SRPP and SE topology without paying attention to the PSRR problem inherent in both is just begging for a poor performance IMO.

People like John "Budda" Camille, Denis Boyle, Lynn Olson et all, are well aware of this and go through an awful lot of trouble to avoid this pittfall by using regulated supplies.

Preamplifiers, being usually SE designs suffer from the very same problems which is one reason why I so often insist on paying attention to PS design: it is a modulated power supply you'll be listening to in the end.

Cheers,

Correct si master s2kov, ganda yan SRPP sir.

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 11:02 AM »
shoot out na agad natin yan!! preferably, dun sana kila sir obet para mas madaling magbuhat. ;D

Wow! Aga nyan Sir! Di pa nag-iinit hehehe. Anyway, maganda yan using Shuguang Tubes compared to NOS! Gusto mo lang marinig yan using NOS tubes e hehehehe! Fish Atty.
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2004 at 06:58 PM »
Jo, this is what frank's impression re SRPP.

Same mistakes over and over again: never use a stage with poor PSRR in an amp wich itself uses a topology that has hardly any PSRR to speak of....

Unless of course you're prepared to regulated the whole shebang, don't blame a particular topology unless you know why it fails to deliver....

Cheers,

The SRPP and mostly all stacked tube configurations I know of have poor PSRR so they really need a stiff, well filtered PS to work optimally.

SE amplifiers don't benefit from the PP noise cancelation effects either and have essentially their entire PS in series with the circuit.

Combining both SRPP and SE topology without paying attention to the PSRR problem inherent in both is just begging for a poor performance IMO.

People like John "Budda" Camille, Denis Boyle, Lynn Olson et all, are well aware of this and go through an awful lot of trouble to avoid this pittfall by using regulated supplies.

Preamplifiers, being usually SE designs suffer from the very same problems which is one reason why I so often insist on paying attention to PS design: it is a modulated power supply you'll be listening to in the end.

Cheers,

Nice read Andy! Thanks for sharing.  ;)

Frank sent me a caution on a current project that contains almost the same outline, PSRR and PSU design. This is in line with a SE preamp whose performance relies on the PSU, short of a cct with poor PSRR.

Offline RU9

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • “While we have time, let us do good”
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2004 at 07:41 AM »
Quote from: JojoD818

Frank sent me a caution on a current project that contains almost the same outline, PSRR and PSU design. This is in line with a SE preamp whose performance relies on the PSU, short of a cct with poor PSRR.

What does this mean ??? How does it relate to Consonance's design ???

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2004 at 09:39 AM »

What does this mean ??? How does it relate to Consonance's design ???

The 1st stage of the Consonance is an SRPP, studies shows that it is something that needs a very good power supply to perform well. Probably that is why the M99 is ss rectified, for easier psu regulation.

Offline rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2004 at 10:27 AM »
Atty. Mabilis siguro tunog niyan SS rectified pala yan. Okey yan sa mga kondo drums at big bands. Kahit ilakas mo volume lalong gumaganda tunog niyan. Para ka ng naka 70 watter na solid state niyan. ;D

Offline Narayan

• Trade Count: (+362)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • When we change. . . the world changes with us.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #16 on: Oct 14, 2004 at 01:50 PM »

ok lang with me. check ko lang skeds ko and advise best date(s) in advance :D
Cayin 265Ai
Jolida 300B SET
Marantz CD5001 OSE
CA CXC + PS Audio DAC
Meadowlark Kestrel 2/ERA D10

Offline audioslave

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 15, 2004 at 04:04 PM »
with reference to the M99+ amp, which one should make a more noticeable sonic improvement, changing the 12AX7 tubes or the 6SN7 tubes? i'm not inclined to change the 6L6 output tubes at this time. what brand of tubes should I go for?

thanks in advance  ;D

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 15, 2004 at 04:35 PM »
Atty,

12ax7 - Telefunken
6sn7 - Tungsol

My build in active preamp ba yan?? kung meron yun 12ax7 yan..

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 16, 2004 at 01:45 AM »
Attney,

I think it would be the changing of the 12AX7 that would give you more benefits sonically. As always, YMMV.

JojoD

Offline kimpao

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman-gulaman!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 09:10 AM »
totally agree atty!

IMHO, changing output tubes wouldn't bring that much change in sound quality.

Better to change the 12ax7 first with any of the following, IMO:

telefunken - very musical
amperex "bugle boy" 12ax7 (this is a different tube variant from amperex 12ax7) - full of detail
rca "blackplates" - mids are airy

;) ;)

Offline H a n $

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Gulaman time!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 01:03 PM »
Atty,

Better borrow different brands muna para ma home audition mo and find out ano type mo.. :)

Offline odyopayl

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • DVD Guru
  • Smell The Flower While You Can............
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 26, 2004 at 09:10 AM »
Atty. Sir Rony and I met at Starbucks Magallanes last night, he can't believe about your interest with analog gear hehehe. BTW, sama naman ako sa session nyo, it seems he will bring his collection of 6sn7 (Tungsol), 12ax7(Tele) & many more...!
Kailan ba? gusto ko rin marinig para may idea na ako!
odyopayl
octaver (wiredstate)

Offline audioslave

• Collector
  • Liked:
Consonance m99+ Integrated Tube Amp review
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2004 at 04:25 PM »
I'm not an avid fan of tube-equipped gears until I auditioned the Consonance m99plus integrated tube amp. Tube amps are misconceived as expensive pieces of equipment and are available only to a privileged and moneyed audiophiles. Inasmuch as this amp had been mass-produced in China, they are reasonably priced to afford tube newbies like me to explore and experience the wonderfully magical sound of tubes. Thus, owning this competitively priced tube amp, sporting the Consonance brand, adds pride of ownership and brings tube quality sound within the budget of almost every music lover.

My sudden swing of preference and growing interest to tube amps was the result of my latest conclusion that CD sound can never approximate the analog sound of the resurrected vinyls. Be that as it may, a tube amp can nonetheless, give life to the clinical and harsh sound of most CD players, which can often sound smoother and more musical when played through a tube amplifier. This premise goes without saying that tube amps are the better amps if compared to solid state amps but since my musical preference is now leaning towards the quieter genre and more relaxing music, it necessarily follows that I have to follow the route that would put me closer to the music. Gone are the days when I crave for the slam-bang and kick-ass bass of a solid state amp. Now, my aural experience begins when I listen to the more soothing sound of tubes that occasionally brings shivers to the bone and spine-tingling sensation when playing some of my favorite CD tracks.

The m99plus features 4 Shuguang 6P3P output tubes (which can be replaced by 6L6s, KT-66s and 5881s), 2 Shuguang 6N8P driver tubes (which can be replaced by 6SN7s and VT-231s), 2 Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH pre-amp tubes configured in a SRPP circuitry, 3 toroidal transformers, 3 gold plated line inputs, large high quality gold plated 5-way speaker binding posts in 8 ohms and 4 ohms tap, all housed in a massive metal chassis with wooded side panels, weighing almost 18 Kgs. The m99plus is a solid-state rectified amp and equipped with a solidly-built remote control allowing you to adjust the volume.

After almost 1 month of breaking-in, the transformers may have already settled down and are now bringing out the best sound they can get. The bass is fuller, the mids warmer and sweeter but the highs needs further extension and relatively rolled-off without much air. I went to the boondocks to test my amp with the new Wharfedales Diamond 9.2 and 9.4 which were loaned on home audition by Spectra Audio Video to hans adriene. Using a turn table as the source, the amp can easily cope up with fast beat music playing some tracks from the album of the Queen and The Cure without muddling the sound and faithfully bringing out each instrumentation with clarity and detail. Playing around with 6sn7s and 12ax7s spare tubes of some fellow members, we tried tube rolling different tubes to get a combination that would give a better sound. First, we tried changing the stock Shuguang 6N8P driver tubes to Sylvania 6SN7GTB. Remarkably, the amp began to breathe with so much atmosphere and seemingly unrestricted airiness. The soundstage simply became so expansive with dramatic improvement in the high frequency extension. Then we plugged RCA 6SN7GTBs and still obtained a similarly desirable sound than that offered by the stock Chinese tubes but the Sylvania 6SN7GTBs have smoother highs and better soundstage. We did try replacing the Electro-Harmonix 12ax7s with Telefunken 12ax7s and retained the RCA 6SN7GTBs as driver tubes - the result was, I guessed, the most optimal sound the m99+ can muster. Changing the RCA 6SN7GTBs with Sylvania 6SN7GTBs at the driver stage and retaining the Telefunkens on the linestage is a bit overkill and would somewhat give a hint of sibilance playing some Jeena Lodwick tracks. All these tubes were tried with the new Wharfedale Diamond 9.2 speakers bi-wired to the amp using XLO ER-14 and XLO PRO650F.

The amp became more imposing when hooked to kimpao's AMX tube pre-amp tweaked by no less than the emerging tweak master - JojoD. The m99+ with an active tube pre-amp is a tough act to follow as they jointly stirred up so much bloom and ambience. Even fingertip-friction sounds of the guitars can be heard with similar likeness. The sonic improvement conveyed by the pre-amp is like getting the singer closer to the audience, thus, bringing more life to the music.

With better tubes plugged to a good amp like m99+, the Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s suddenly became an instant hit among the listeners. In fact, the 9.2s are preferred over the 9.4s by many since the floorstander would sound boxy and sometimes boomy. One lesson learned is that - spending so much on speakers is not at all necessary as long as you have a good tube amp like the m99+.

Associated Equipment:

Yamaha CD Player
Technics Turn Table
AMX ConTodo MkII Pre-amp
XLO Pro650F
XLO ER14
DIY silver wire interconnects
Wharfedale Diamond 9.2s and 9.4s

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2004 at 07:46 AM by audioslave »

Offline Audioboy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • DVD Guru
  • "That's a matter of opinion, decide yourself"
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 31, 2004 at 05:33 PM »
that was an entertaining review parekuy.

i thought i was reading a review on audio equipment in an audiophile magazine.

congrats again.

wish i can give your amp a listen. 

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 31, 2004 at 07:08 PM »
audioslave,

salamat sir at nadinig na din namin yan amp mo!  ;) enjoy ako sa session, ang gaganda ng mga gears.  ;D

Offline j_albert22

• DVD Guru
  • SARS LUMAYO KA
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Nov 01, 2004 at 11:14 AM »
salamat attorney amp mo maganda lalo na nung naka TELEFUKEN hehehe upgrade na hirap makalimutan yan at ito rin hirap sa tube di ka pwedeng magcustomize nang tube para isang gastusan na yong bang parang bumibili nang pizza may pangalan na ito lagay mo dyan,ito gusto

e ung MB100 kailan kaya baka drawing lang ito ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2004 at 11:20 AM by j_albert22 »

Offline JojoD818

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Bring it on!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Nov 01, 2004 at 05:41 PM »
salamat attorney amp mo maganda lalo na nung naka TELEFUKEN hehehe upgrade na hirap makalimutan yan at ito rin hirap sa tube di ka pwedeng magcustomize nang tube para isang gastusan na yong bang parang bumibili nang pizza may pangalan na ito lagay mo dyan,ito gusto

Niloloko mo naman ako eh, van ng mercedes yun mb100 eh, baka yun m100+ ang sinasabi mo manong!  ;D ;D ;D

bawal ang pikon ha!  ;D
joke joke joke!

Offline rony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • DVD Addict
  • didyital rules!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #28 on: Nov 01, 2004 at 06:15 PM »

;D  ;D  ;D mali nga ata spelling

Offline j_albert22

• DVD Guru
  • SARS LUMAYO KA
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Nov 01, 2004 at 06:22 PM »

ay mali ito pala tama M100+ >:D >:D >:D