Author Topic: The Debut  (Read 3629 times)

Offline MigraineBoy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • Think Before You Post
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Debut
« on: Jul 09, 2001 at 06:25 PM »
The Debut

Calling Pinoys out there in the States! Has anybody seen this? I understand that it's a pinoy movie shown only in the States. Please tell us more about it.
« Last Edit: Jan 01, 1970 at 08:00 AM by 1016344800 »

Offline barrid

• DVD Guru
  • What's on your mind?
  • Liked:
Re: The Debut
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2001 at 05:09 PM »
 I saw this movie last Nov. And it was good. It's about a local boy [US born pinoy] who's pursuing to be a Comic writer. But having a problem because his father [Tirso Cruz III] wants him to be a doctor. The Director told us that the boy starred in a movie 'Peter Pan'. Also, the Director was planning to release it on video if he could find a Hollywood insider who can back him up to a video producer. You can check out what's goin' on at "debutfilm.com" Hope it helps a bit.
There's something to learn everyday

Offline MigraineBoy

• DVD Addict
  • Think Before You Post
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2001 at 07:04 PM »
Thanks. I'm going to check out the site later. I just hope it gets released on video soon so I can finally see it.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
Re:The Debut
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2002 at 11:18 PM »
wow! what a wierd feeling, after ten years i was able to watch a filipino film in my local movie theater! :D

and this is in chicago suburbs! :o

i'm glad that the people behind The DEBUT is really working hard to promote their film. Gene Cajayon (director,screenwiter,producer) was even outside the theater selling their movie merchandise... His pitch was please help us show this film to the next state by buying some souveniers...so i bought a CD! :D
I really hope they can release this film in all the 51 states here in the U.S. so all the filipinos will be able to experience, what i did...which was pride!

so far this film has earned about $1,273,630 after 367 running days
heres the link for the latest earnings: link

which is a far cry from American Adobo's earning of $213,533
but this numbers should pick up since  its only on its 52nd running day. :)

heres some reviews
The Debut
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2002 at 02:11 AM by bently »
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline quasar

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2002 at 01:49 PM »
Roger Ebert gave The Debut a 3 star rating. Read his review here.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2002 at 12:46 AM »
Bumping this thread, since Entertainment Weekly lists this film in its Fall Movie Previews, and it has an October 11th playdate.

Go, Pinoys! :)
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
The Debut
« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2003 at 08:58 AM »
Can't wait to see this during Cinemanila.
Clear eyes, full hearts can't lose!

Offline purploony

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jul 03, 2003 at 01:57 PM »
I saw this three summers ago in a small theater near San Francisco. It was a small crowd but the production team were there and they thanked the crowd for coming, saying that word of mouth was drawing audiences to all their screenings. They were selling paraphernalia too like t-shirts and screenplays (the latter i bought). It's a good first effort, and everybody can relate to it. Can't wait to see what others think when it comes out here :)

Offline Grandpoobah

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Mwahaha- talo kayo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2003 at 02:13 PM »
 I saw this movie last Nov. And it was good. It's about a local boy [US born pinoy] who's pursuing to be a Comic writer. But having a problem because his father [Tirso Cruz III] wants him to be a doctor. The Director told us that the boy starred in a movie 'Peter Pan'. Also, the Director was planning to release it on video if he could find a Hollywood insider who can back him up to a video producer. You can check out what's goin' on at "debutfilm.com" Hope it helps a bit.

Actually, the lead guy is RUFIO from HOOK (Robin Williams)! Can't wait to see this! Mukhang nakakatawa.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
The Debut
« Reply #9 on: Jul 04, 2003 at 06:41 PM »
Talaga? Didn't he play the head of the lost boys in that Spielberg movie?

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jul 05, 2003 at 05:43 PM »
Talaga? Didn't he play the head of the lost boys in that Spielberg movie?

reuven, "rufio" IS/WAS the head of the losts boys.

heard about this film about 2 years ago. want to see it... but not that badly. more out of curiousity.  :)

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
The Debut
« Reply #11 on: Aug 14, 2003 at 06:29 AM »
checked this out yesterday before it disappears in my nearest theater, SM North.

great performances especially from Dante Basco and Tirso Cruz III. Bernadette Balagtas is a babe! soundtrack rocks!

Offline Lex Luthor

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2003 at 09:23 AM »
watched it yesterday at SM Megamall. one down for my Cinemanila movies-to-watch list. a solid debut from director Gene Cajayon. also, a very solid cast. never knew Tirso Cruz acted this way. Dante Basco, Bernadette Balagtas and the other Basco brothers are naturals...really enjoyed it more than American Adobo. highly recommended!

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
The Debut
« Reply #13 on: Sep 10, 2003 at 08:40 AM »
DVD Talk raves over The Debut:

The film does have some independent/low budget limitations, but from the script, to the direction, and the production design, it is largely an admirable affair. There is the occasional spotty performance by inexperienced actors, like Ben’s’ high school buddies. Overall, the acting is quite good- the standouts being Tirso Cruz III as Ben’s father and the beautiful Joy Bisco as Anna. Although the storyline is a bit clichéd, “the coming of age tale of a kid who wants to do something other than what his parents have planned”, but the script still moves well with interesting characters and keenly added information about Filipino culture. Even the nature of the limited location, that is, the film being mainly set at the party, is not forced, and the film has plenty of room to breathe. What we get is a successful combination of a familiar storyline with a fresh slant on a largely unseen culture.

Read more here.

Offline acyl_halide

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2003 at 09:49 AM »
light but entertaining fare. Tirso Cruz's performance reminds me of another immigrant movie East is East. Cruz's perf is somehow similar to Om Puri.

Offline Reuven Malter

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • No worries, mate!
  • Liked:
The Debut
« Reply #15 on: Sep 13, 2003 at 07:14 AM »
The Long Road From Idea to DVD
By PETER M. NICHOLS, NY Times

Directors love DVD but don't think it replaces movie theaters. "We're going to work so hard and go straight to video? Hell, no," says Gene Cajayon on a disc of "The Debut," his modest, winning first feature, released this week by Columbia TriStar.

Seated around Mr. Cajayon in the behind-the-scenes featurette are a dozen friends and co-workers who piled into their own vehicles and drove across the country distributing and promoting a movie that would earn a very respectable $1.8 million at the box office in 15 cities (and $650,000 more from sweatshirts and other merchandise).

"The Debut," about a young Filipino-American named Ben (Danté Basco) who defies his elders to pursue his own life, has a better "making of" story than most films on DVD. In 1992 Mr. Cajayon, then 20, developed a half-hour film-school project about his own experiences as a child with a Filipino background growing up in the 1980's in Orange County, Calif. The subject proved large enough for a feature, and a 10-year quest began.

In "The Debut" Ben is an aspiring cartoonist who turns down a scholarship at U.C.L.A. and uses his savings to enroll in the California Institute of the Arts. His father (Tirso Cruz III), a postal worker, is furious and his grandfather (Eddie Garcia) disdainful. Like the student short, the movie parallels Mr. Cajayon's own life. He was embarrassed about his heritage. "Young Asian-Americans had no positive role models," he said this week by telephone. "I grew up hating myself."

Like Mr. Cajayon, Ben seeks white friends from the establishment. "Wake up, little brother, you're just as brown as the rest of us," another Filipino-American tells him. Much turmoil shakes the family in a film with a "neat blend of well-drawn major characters and drama, music, dance, romance and humor that generates considerable charm and achieves a heartwarming resolution," Lawrence Van Gelder wrote in The New York Times.

The movie cost a little more than $1 million to make. Mr. Cajayon sought money from affluent Filipino-Americans, but they balked at the depiction of Ben's working-class family. "People were embarrassed that our community was diverse and that there were just as many struggling Filipinos as there were doctors, lawyers and professional people," Mr. Cajayon said this week.

So he raised the money bit by bit over the years.

After a successful screening at an Asian-American film festival in San Francisco, Mr. Cajayon rented a theater himself. As "The Debut" caught on in the Bay Area, his associates fanned out, seeking support and bookings in cities with Filipino-American populations of more than 20,000.

As of Tuesday there is video, but no one can say the movie took the direct route. "I haven't gone into Blockbuster to look at it yet," Mr. Cajayon said.

Offline bently

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2003 at 12:13 AM »
Glad to be back on the board, sorry if I haven’t posted for a long long time.

I’ve been busy with some project, but when I watched this dvd last night, I just had to share my excitement.

I was able to see this movie at our local cinema over a year ago, and I even met the director. He was at the lobby selling the Debut merchandise. I remember telling him to make sure he gives a directors commentary if he ever would release this movie on DVD.
And I’m so glad he did.  8)

All I can say is that, this is what a Filipino dvd should be.
I was blown out of my seat when I saw how clear the picture was. I could not believe that this was a Filipino dvd movie. The transfer was free from any scratches or dust, typical of any Filipino movies I’ve seen. The colors are alive unlike the other Filipino dvd movies I’ve seen.

If you’re really a pinoy dvd aficionado this is a must in your collection.

Sony and Columbia pictures really loaded this movie up.

The director’s commentary really gives you the insight on how they struggled to put this movie out, he even mentioned how he ended up in bankruptcy when he 1st tried financing the movie.  Or how he was able to cast such major talents for an unknown director with very limited budget. All in all I’m glad he was able to get a grant and finish the movie.

I’m really proud of this dvd that I’m even thinking of buying a dozen copies and make this my xmas present to my friends and family.  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2003 at 12:14 AM by bently »
.·´ `·. . ><((((º> . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . <º))))><
.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . ><((((º> .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .
·. . .·´ `·. . .><((((º>.·´ `·. . .·´ `·. . .·´ `·. .

Offline Grandpoobah

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Mwahaha- talo kayo!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2003 at 05:28 PM »
Rented it on VCD.
Great film!
'Nuff said!

Rufio
Rufio
Rufio

Medyo bitin ang ending...

Offline Ice Storm

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 47
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2003 at 07:37 AM »
I rented the DVD a couple of days ago and I found it refreshing. No over acting and I found the Filipino cast (not the Fil-Am) a bit bored with what they're doing. Eddie Garcia looked the most bored.

One thing am really thankful for is that the soundtrack isn't your run of the mill Pinoy film music. No offense but the audio quality and selection of local film soundtracks really suck.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2003 at 07:44 AM by Ice Storm »

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Apr 14, 2006 at 12:16 PM »
I just saw this on DVD just a few minutes ago. Loved it. And I have nothing more to add except: Damn! Never knew Filipina girls could be so hot.
« Last Edit: Apr 14, 2006 at 12:16 PM by Phobos »