Author Topic: PINOY FLICKS to see before you die  (Read 42873 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PINOY FLICKS to see before you die
« on: Oct 14, 2004 at 08:39 PM »
There's a discussion already on 1001 Movies to see before you die on the other message board.....why not for our very own Filipino flicks.... 8)

My wish lists.....

BINHI- Peque Gallaga's directorial debut in collaboration with Butch Perez.

GUMISING KA MARUJA- if there is a classic name in Pinoy flicks this is it! Mars Ravelo's classic story adapted to the big screen by the great Lino Brocka.

PATAYIN SA SINDAK SI BARBARA- as Noel said the only Filipino flick that is genuinely scary, the original with Susan Roces & Rosanna Ortiz megged by Celso Ad Castillo.

ELEKTRIKA KASI EH- over the top, hilarious, campy that can beat Joey Gosiengfiao's TEMPTATION ISLAND.

BAGONG HARI- I only saw the layout of this movie in 1985 or 1986 in two days only after that it vanished quickly in theatres.

BATANG WEST SIDE- Lav Diaz 5 hours movie which garnered rave reviews both local & international.

« Last Edit: Sep 12, 2005 at 12:54 PM by keating »

Offline Y_meeh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • I want adventure in the great wide somewhere-belle
  • Liked:
Re: PINOY FLICKS to see before you die
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2004 at 09:05 PM »
since we get very limited dvd releases of tagalog films... where can I find these titles? They're not the typical movies to be shown in cinemaone or pinoyblockbuster either.

gusto ko sanang makapanood ng mga tagalog kaya lang wala naman halos pwedeng panooran eh...

Lyf seems a succession of busy nothings - Austen

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 15, 2004 at 06:51 AM »
since we get very limited dvd releases of tagalog films... where can I find these titles? They're not the typical movies to be shown in cinemaone or pinoyblockbuster either.

gusto ko sanang makapanood ng mga tagalog kaya lang wala naman halos pwedeng panooran eh...

That's the sad thing about our own Filipino movies, the availability. Either the print was deteriorating, or just dusting on the producer's own shelves.

Film preservation and restoration should be the movie industries next goal in order to save our classic movies although expensive.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2004 at 08:20 AM »
here's mine...

Ishmael Bernal's LUMAPIT, LUMAYO ANG UMAGA

Celso Ad Castillo's MALIGNO

Lino Brocka's TUBOG SA GINTO

Mario O' Hara's IBULONG MO SA PUSO

Behn Cervantes' SAKADA

Marilou Diaz-Abaya's MACHO GIGOLO (just to see Celia Rodriguez play a gay man.)

Laurice Guillen's KUNG AKO'Y IIWAN MO (a great follow-up to Kasal?)

Eddie Romero's SINO'NG KAPILING, SINO'NG KASIPING?

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2004 at 12:26 PM »
here's mine...

Ishmael Bernal's LUMAPIT, LUMAYO ANG UMAGA

Celso Ad Castillo's MALIGNO

Lino Brocka's TUBOG SA GINTO

Mario O' Hara's IBULONG MO SA PUSO

Behn Cervantes' SAKADA

Marilou Diaz-Abaya's MACHO GIGOLO (just to see Celia Rodriguez play a gay man.)

Laurice Guillen's KUNG AKO'Y IIWAN MO (a great follow-up to Kasal?)

Eddie Romero's SINO'NG KAPILING, SINO'NG KASIPING?

I would like to add also Behn Cervantes' SAKADA, Celso Ad Castillo's MALIGNO & Marilou Diaz Abaya's TANIKALA.
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2004 at 08:01 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2004 at 08:48 AM »
Lino Brocka's Tubog sa Guinto.

Ishamel Bernal's Scotch to Remember, Black Coffee to Forget (I might have the title wrong).

Celso Ad. Castillo's Pedro Penduko

Gerardo de Leon's Daigdig ng Mga Api and Juan de la Cruz.

Ramon Estella's Jose Rizal

A 35 mm PRINT of Mario O'Hara's Bagong Hari--maybe the greatest Filipino action film ever made...

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2004 at 09:39 AM »
Is JOSE RIZAL Noel, the first full length feature on Rizal's life?

BAGONG HARI was produced by Cineventures which I believe the print doesn't exist anymore..... the print also of TUBOG SA GINTO.

Any info on Bernal's Scotch to Remember....what a title! Was it a comedy flick?
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2004 at 10:15 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2004 at 01:40 PM »
The full title of Ramon Estella's film is Ang Buhay at Pag-Ibig ni Dr. Jose Rizal, 1956. It's three hours long.

The first feature film on Rizal is Edward Gross' La Vida de Jose Rizal, is about an hour long, more or less. That came out in 1912.

Joey Pineda, son-in-law of Mother Lily, produced Bagong Hari. I hear stories of how he dumped the film in the theaters and didn't care at all what happened to the prints...long story (and that's all I can say).

But when I met him, he said he was looking for a surviving print, so I thought there was hope.

Then I heard that he got sick and went into a coma, and that's that. I'm not even sure he's still alive.

Scotch to Remember, what I heard about that, and I'm not sure of the details, is that the producer is crazy, and he either tried to destroy the prints or attacked the guy asking the question.

Philippine cinema is so interesting, isn't it? ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 11:20 AM »
Thanks for the info Noel regarding JOSE RIZAL....another one to die for. So there's hope for
BAGONG HARI....is it more violent than Batch 81?
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2004 at 11:37 AM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 02:55 PM »
Thanks for the info Noel regarding JOSE RIZAL....another one to die for. So there's hope for
BAGONG HARI

There's no known print of this film available, and Joey Pineda is in a coma, possibly dead.

"is it more violent than Batch '81?"

Oh, yes.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 07:03 PM »

There's no known print of this film available, and Joey Pineda is in a coma, possibly dead.

"is it more violent than Batch '81?"

Oh, yes.

Joel Torre was magnficent as the villain in Bagong Hari... same with the late Elvira Manahan.

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 07:10 PM »
Bagong Hari.Intruiging. Datu era ba setting nito? Just loved Batch 81.
It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 07:16 PM »
I think BAGONG HARI has a contemporary setting....the layout/poster only shows the face of Dan Alvaro.....and the castng of the late Elvira Manahan makes this film really intriguing to watch.

Noel, Jo any more inputs in this Mario O' Hara flick is greatly appreciated.... :)
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2004 at 07:29 PM by keating »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 07:33 PM »
The full title of Ramon Estella's film is Ang Buhay at Pag-Ibig ni Dr. Jose Rizal, 1956. It's three hours long.

The first feature film on Rizal is Edward Gross' La Vida de Jose Rizal, is about an hour long, more or less. That came out in 1912.

Joey Pineda, son-in-law of Mother Lily, produced Bagong Hari. I hear stories of how he dumped the film in the theaters and didn't care at all what happened to the prints...long story (and that's all I can say).

But when I met him, he said he was looking for a surviving print, so I thought there was hope.

Then I heard that he got sick and went into a coma, and that's that. I'm not even sure he's still alive.

Scotch to Remember, what I heard about that, and I'm not sure of the details, is that the producer is crazy, and he either tried to destroy the prints or attacked the guy asking the question.

Philippine cinema is so interesting, isn't it? ;D

I'm sure the producer of Scotch is not Mother Lily....Noel..... ;D

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Oct 17, 2004 at 09:27 PM »
I think BAGONG HARI has a contemporary setting....the layout/poster only shows the face of Dan Alvaro.....and the castng of the late Elvira Manahan makes this film really intriguing to watch.

Noel, Jo any more inputs in this Mario O' Hara flick is greatly appreciated.... :)

it's a great piece of filmmaking... exciting action sequences i especially liked the final scene between Dan Alvaro & Joel Torre... don't forget Carmi Martin was also in the movie. i've always thought that she delivered one of her more credible peroformnces here than in all of her films with Lino Brocka.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 01:57 AM »
It's the definitive proof that O'Hara handles the camera and cuts film far better than either Brocka or Bernal. The opening beach sequence has quick cuts, then freeze frames where the sound carries over and you wonder what kind of sadistic acts they go on performing behind the freeze...

His handling of sound effects and music is great, too. The Pasig river fight sequence has a tender lullaby playing in the background.

Elivera Manahan isn't quite a villain, tho.

And oh, Celso Ad. Castillo is brilliant here. Same with Joel Lamangan. Actually the entire cast is great.

Here's something interesting: Perla Bautista plays Dan's mother. Perla is, or so I hear, the great love of Erap's life. And Celso plays an Erap figure, who (he, he, he, very prophetic) makes a bid to take over the 'province.'

It's not quite a contemporary setting. Elvira is governess of a rich and powerful 'province.' It's suppose to stand in for Manila, and Elvira for Imelda. It's actually an alternate reality Philippines. The social and political criticism here is actually quite sophisticated. And I think O'Hara's take on Imelda is more accurate than Brocka's in Gumapang (which, I think, is Brocka's attempt to remake Bagong Hari).

It's one of O'Hara's darkest films (except for maybe Pangarap ng Puso, which is, if anything, even stranger).

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 08:07 AM »
Too bad BAGONG HARI vanished quickly in theatres. And even if it extends its theatrical run....I doubt if I'll be allowed to enter the cinema....I was grade six during that time.

Oh, I thought Gloria Romero was the villain in this O'Hara flick.....thanks for the info Noel, Jo.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 11:45 AM »
Gloria Romero was the villain in another fine O'Hara action noir, Condemned. Starring La Aunor. It's O'Hara's favorite of all his films.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2004 at 08:35 PM »
How come the critics didn't nominate Bagong Hari? It seems to be one of O'hara's best works....

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 04:56 AM »
How come the critics didn't nominate Bagong Hari? It seems to be one of O'hara's best works....

i think it was nominated in most of the award giving bodies in 1986... i believe it won the URIAN for Best Cinematography.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 09:15 AM »
The Urian snubbed it and gave Best Picture to Takwa Tukso. Which is quite good (it's Armando Lao's best work I think), but hardly on the league of Bagong Hari....

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 12:53 PM »
TAKAW TUKSO that's another movie to die for....any reviews Noel, Jo. The two of you are my Roger & Ebert of Philippine cinema.

« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2004 at 12:54 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 12:59 PM »
The two of you are my Roger & Ebert of Philippine cinema.

Know you mean well but...please! Don't you know what I think of Ebert?!  ;D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 01:02 PM »
Takaw Tukso is like an Ingmar Bergman chamber piece, only in a Philippine setting...more grime, more sweat, and (in my opinion) the sex is a helluva lot hotter. Jacklyn Jose, Ana Marie Guttierez give some of their finest performances here. Turned me on when I watched it.

Still...it's no Bagong Hari.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Oct 19, 2004 at 01:03 PM »

Know you mean well but...please! Don't you know what I think of Ebert?!  ;D

sorry Noel...man I forgot about that!

Is the print of Takaw Tukso still alive..... ???
« Last Edit: Oct 19, 2004 at 01:05 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 03:02 AM »
Yeah, 16 mm, in lousy condition, some o d sex cut out. Still very good tho.

...and it still ain't Bagong Hari;D

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 05:10 AM »
The Urian snubbed it and gave Best Picture to Takwa Tukso. Which is quite good (it's Armando Lao's best work I think), but hardly on the league of Bagong Hari....

I did like Takaw Tukso... but Bagong Hari deserved to win the URIAN for Best Picture that year. I much prefer the other William Pascual-Armando Lao collaboration Di Maghilom Ang Sugat.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 01:17 PM »
Di Maghilom ang Sugat

What was that all about, Jojo?

Amazing how Lao seems able to transform directors, no? Outside of Lao's scripts, I haven't really heard good things about Willy Pascual.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 07:47 PM »
Di Maghilom ang Sugat

What was that all about, Jojo?

Amazing how Lao seems able to transform directors, no? Outside of Lao's scripts, I haven't really heard good things about Willy Pascual.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of Di Maghilom... it was William Pascual's follow-up to Takaw Tukso with Gino Antonio & Anna Marie Gutierrez. The film didn't perform well at the box office due to it's lack of sex scenes but it had a great story. Well it's about a man (Gino) trying desperately to run away from his past and the woman (Anna Marie) who helped him realize that he has to put his past behind to go on with his life. It's a great little film and filled with impressive performances from both it's lead actors.
Gino who was good in Private Show showed more sensitivity in Di Maghilom although it bothered me that his lines were dubbed by someone else... it has always been maybe because of his thick Ilonggo or Visayan accent (i'm not quite sure.) Anna Marie was far better in this movie than let's say Unfaithful Wife or even Takaw Tukso. The film also boasts a great supporting performance by then comebacking actress Eva Darren.
Armando Lao has transformed Pascual into an instinctive filmmaker... he was best known for making movies like Asal Hayop with Bembol Roco & Pia Moran.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Oct 20, 2004 at 09:06 PM »
I thought it was Wilfredo Milan who did TAKAW TUKSO...I kept on remembering the initial W about the man who did that movie after I browsed Urian's Anthology....

Armando Lao is underrated....among my fave in his works are Jeffrey Jeturian's brilliant domestic drama directorial debut SANA PAG-IBIG NA and also my mom's fave because of the late Nida Blanca....her confrontation scene with Gerald Madrid is flawless....the man can be in the league of Ricky Lee, Doy del Mundo & Racquel Villavicencio....

and Chito Rono's LA VIDA ROSA was brilliant also.....
« Last Edit: Oct 20, 2004 at 09:48 PM by keating »