Author Topic: PHP-USD Conversion  (Read 8593 times)

Offline RNIverson

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
PHP-USD Conversion
« on: Oct 25, 2004 at 08:44 AM »
ive just tried ordering dvds from a site, and total was $46.19. i was assuming na P56 something lang ang conversion since ganito sa atin, but i was charged around P58.32  :o i was surprised since alam ko nde pa ata umaabot ng P57 ang dollar rate natin? btw, im using my citibank visa card, so sa kanila ako tumawag. and i was informed na citibank was using visa international's converison. ganito ba talaga? ok lang naman sa akin ung P58 dollar rate, pero sana makita ko kung ano ung current dollar rate ng visa int'l. does anyone know?

thanks!  O0

Offline JhunDV

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Good old-fashioned lover boy!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PHP-USD Conversion
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2004 at 10:14 AM »
Mataas talaga exchange rate ng citibank compared to other cards. For online purchases, HSBC Mastercard ang gamit ko because of around 1 peso lower exchange rate.  :)
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2004 at 10:26 AM »
lahat pa naman ng cards ko citibank  :'(

sa hsbc ba sinusundan nila ung peso-dollar rate? or may sarili rin silang conversion, tapos mas mababa?  ???

Offline JhunDV

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Good old-fashioned lover boy!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2004 at 10:33 AM »
^ HSBC charges more than the market exchange rate but by around 1 peso only. I think it's near the bank's dollar selling rate.  :)
Panny 50VT30 - Onkyo 818 - Polk  RTiA5/CSiA6/FXiA4/DSWPro550 - MEDE8ER 1000x3D - Synology DS413j

Offline gaol

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2004 at 11:10 AM »
Citibank's conversion rate on US Dollar card purchases is around P2 above the exchange rate. With the current exchange rate hovering between P56 and P56.50, I would assume a Citibank rate of P58.50 when considering a purchase (so when the actual charge is posted and it's slightly lower, matutuwa pa ako ng konti  ;D).
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2004 at 11:11 AM by gaol »

Offline hubes

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2004 at 11:46 AM »
get an Equitable International Dual Currency Credit Card. they have different credit limits for dollar and peso purchases. You can also have a choice whether to pay in dollars or pesos when your bill is due. You can check equitablecardn.com to see the Equitable Card Dollar rate for the day. Its usually lower than what peso denominated card chargers. For example todays rate is 56.61 which is not bad.

Offline krets pulpol

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • what's your major malfunction numb nuts!!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1582
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2004 at 03:21 PM »
i've been using citibank cards and yes they charge more for online purchases (US) expect a 1.50 to 2 peso spread on the current exchange rate as said by other users.  other card companies offer lower rates.
what?! are you talkin' to me!!!

Offline THX1138

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Electronic Labyrinth: THX 1138 4EB
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2004 at 07:33 PM »
i have HSBC, Citibank, AIG, BPI and Unionbank credit cards. of all of them Unionbank has the best currency conversion rates. The worst was Citibank where i think was charged about P58 to the dollar. HSBC was a close second in terms of bad currency conversion.

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2005 at 10:16 AM »
i have HSBC, Citibank, AIG, BPI and Unionbank credit cards. of all of them Unionbank has the best currency conversion rates. The worst was Citibank where i think was charged about P58 to the dollar. HSBC was a close second in terms of bad currency conversion.

my last transaction with citibank was 57.62 for a dollar. not bad compared to my previous experience with them. i tried asking unionbank, and they said that they're also using visa intl's conversion. wouldn't this just be the same with my citibank?   ???

Offline RNIverson

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • SteelBooker ™
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2005 at 07:01 PM »

mukhang mababa nga conversion ng UnionBank. hirap lang magbayad  ;D

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 09:42 AM »
Ive just learned this lately...that yes, Citibank  Mastercard has a higher exchange rate..at least about P2..compared to my other CC which is BPI Mastercard.  Consider it ignorance on my part, had I computed the rates much earlier, I could have used my BPI CC, and saved a lot.  I guess isang DVD na yun!!  Mastercard International is the one dictating rates...but I just cant understand why parehong Mastercard sila, but have different rates... ??? ???

Offline Chito C.

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #11 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 09:56 AM »
Ive just learned this lately...that yes, Citibank Mastercard has a higher exchange rate..at least about P2..compared to my other CC which is BPI Mastercard. Consider it ignorance on my part, had I computed the rates much earlier, I could have used my BPI CC, and saved a lot. I guess isang DVD na yun!! Mastercard International is the one dictating rates...but I just cant understand why parehong Mastercard sila, but have different rates... ??? ???

About 2 months ago I had  a meeting with BPI and they told me that Citibank is really charging a higher rate (about 2-3 pesos higher). They also told me that Mastercard is just charging 1% for the use of the card (based on the ending forex rate for the day) and BPI is not charging anything to the cardholder (????).That's why I've been using BPI Mastercard for online purchases. BPI also has a separate e-credit card for online purchases. If you already have a BPI card just request for the e-credit card.

Offline Munskie

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • HighDef Enthusiast
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 11:03 AM »

About 2 months ago I had  a meeting with BPI and they told me that Citibank is really charging a higher rate (about 2-3 pesos higher). They also told me that Mastercard is just charging 1% for the use of the card (based on the ending forex rate for the day) and BPI is not charging anything to the cardholder (????).That's why I've been using BPI Mastercard for online purchases. BPI also has a separate e-credit card for online purchases. If you already have a BPI card just request for the e-credit card.
yup, I already did request for the E-card ;D ;D

Offline Chito C.

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #13 on: Jun 30, 2006 at 11:17 AM »
Just got curious. Made  purchase last May 30  for 8.99 british pounds and BPI charged me P885.47 so forex rate used is P98.5. Checked BSP rate on May 30 which was P98.22. Mark-up of 2.9%. At least hindi 1-2 pesos kapag Citibank.

Offline kimpOy

• DVD Guru
  • make your own road!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #14 on: Jul 05, 2006 at 12:02 PM »
mga parekoys, kuha na lang kayo ng dollar CC...im using Metrobank Dollar CC, hassle lang is magpapapalit pa ako ng dollar pagnagbayad ako...