Author Topic: CD PLAYER FOR ONKYO+B&W Combo  (Read 2146 times)

Offline WillHunting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
CD PLAYER FOR ONKYO+B&W Combo
« on: Mar 21, 2008 at 03:10 AM »
Hi. Need advise as to which CD player will best match the B&W 602 S2 and Onkyo TX SR703 setup ... Nothing too high-end as there's a budget target. But hey, if it's irresistible, budget is debatable. Hehe. Thanks guys.

ps. Where do you go to buy good but reasonable priced A/V racks? thanks sirs...  :D

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
Re: CD PLAYER FOR ONKYO+B&W Combo
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 04:22 AM »
Why not get an Onkyo CD player too?

Personally, I see no issue using any CD player for any brand of receiver and speakers.  Unlike speakers and amps.  I think using the same brand of CD player with your receiver also allows you to just use one remote control.

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 10:20 AM »
As avphile has mentioned, any CDP will do. Based on personal experience it is the amp + speaker combo that needs some degree of "matching".

To add, based on personal experience and taste, I'd be going for vintage CDP due to proliferation of cost reduced parts on current production CDPs.

Offline macdon

• Kagawad
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 11:09 AM »
While I believe in amp + speaker matching, is there a brite or warm sounding cdp.......and how is this matched if ever?

Offline WillHunting

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 12:20 PM »
Why not get an Onkyo CD player too?

Personally, I see no issue using any CD player for any brand of receiver and speakers.  Unlike speakers and amps.  I think using the same brand of CD player with your receiver also allows you to just use one remote control.

Thanks av_phile1. I didn't realize the remote control factor -- I guess I still enjoy holding so many at one time. Hehe. But generally, you do recommend having a separate source for music right? Right now, I play my CDs in the same DVD source.

Offline WillHunting

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 12:23 PM »
I'd be going for vintage CDP due to proliferation of cost reduced parts on current production CDPs.

Thanks rascal101. What exactly qualify as vintage CDPs?

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 01:11 PM »
While I believe in amp + speaker matching, is there a brite or warm sounding cdp.......and how is this matched if ever?

Don't know about warm sounding CDP but in my experience the Sony 555ES and X33ES sound bright in my opinion, so one way to tame them is to modify the coupling caps used or change the op-amps used.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 01:23 PM »
Analog inputs to the reciever are often converted to digital in order to pass through the receiver's preamp whose bass management circuits are in the digital domain.  Then gets converted to analog again to feed the power amps.  You have three conversions there: from digital to analog when using the player DAC; from analog to digital when using the receiver's bass management; then from digital to analog again prior to the power amps.  You suffer conversion losses in the signal.   Just use the digital toslink or coax connection between CD player and your receiver to maintain the digital throughput up to the conversion prior to feeding the power amps.  SO you only have one conversion.  And that bypasses the player's DAC and analog op-amps that are often the source of sonic coloration to the audio signals. And for virtually ALL recent mass produced digital players, the digital output are identical to one another.
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2008 at 01:27 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 01:34 PM »
Thanks av_phile1. I didn't realize the remote control factor -- I guess I still enjoy holding so many at one time. Hehe. But generally, you do recommend having a separate source for music right? Right now, I play my CDs in the same DVD source.

No problem.  DVD and CD players use the same red lasers and the DVD lens are just refocused to read the wider pit length in CDs.   The information on the disc are either read or not. Nothing in between. 

Having said that, a separate CD player may enjoy better quality electronics, separate power supplies for the digital and analog circuits, better mechanism and build than a DVD player that performs more functions for the same price point.  In general.   

Offline rascal101

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Mar 21, 2008 at 09:33 PM »
Thanks rascal101. What exactly qualify as vintage CDPs?

Models from the early 80s to early 90s qualify as vintage CDPs.

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Mar 22, 2008 at 06:32 PM »

you'll still be using the DAC of the receiver; save the money for something else. just dont blow it all on cables.

if your receiver has pre-outs id get a power amp.

Offline Adam Warlock

• DVD Addict
  • Audio is hobby not obsession
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2008 at 12:52 PM »
Good day sir.
If your still looking for a CD Player why dont you try and audition Cayin CD Player. Toyama has ben using A50T and CD50T to drive their speaker and it matched well with B&W speaker. You can go visit their showroom at west avenue.

Cheers

Offline ProtegeManiac

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2008 at 09:08 AM »
Good day sir.
If your still looking for a CD Player why dont you try and audition Cayin CD Player. Toyama has ben using A50T and CD50T to drive their speaker and it matched well with B&W speaker. You can go visit their showroom at west avenue.

Cheers

if he will use the receiver there's no way he can maximise the Cayin, since he will either skip the tubed analog section or use it then have the receiver convert it back to digital then back to analog again.

best to use the DVD player for now, then save up for a separate CDP and integrated amp. banana plugs on the speaker wires will simplify switching from one set-up to the other.