Author Topic: Panasonic Viera?  (Read 8214 times)

Offline Dracula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Panasonic Viera?
« on: Oct 29, 2004 at 11:41 PM »
Is this plasma television available in the Phiippines?
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2006 at 10:18 AM by dracula »

Offline ESi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
Re: Panasonic Vieira?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2004 at 12:10 AM »
Yes! I saw a complete line on display a week ago at ANSONS MAKATI. The picture is AWESOME! as well as the price! ;D
Ars longa, Vita Brevis, Judicium dificile

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2004 at 05:12 AM »
Yes! I saw a complete line on display a week ago at ANSONS MAKATI. The picture is AWESOME! as well as the price! ;D

How Much?

Offline ESi

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2004 at 03:27 PM »
If my memory serves me right...42" 350,+++?

Offline Dracula

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2004 at 03:57 PM »
If my memory serves me right...42" 350,+++?

Hi Esi,

Favor naman when you pass by Anson Makati could you make sure what the price is kasi I saw one here in the UK for just £2500 (250k equivalent)......

Is 350k the best price back home?

Offline ESi

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2004 at 01:08 AM »

As soon as I can visit again I'll post them. Its currently being marketed both in print and tv ads here! Its a kick ass plasma!

Offline mattmatt

• Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2004 at 10:30 PM »

Hi Esi,

Favor naman when you pass by Anson Makati could you make sure what the price is kasi I saw one here in the UK for just £2500 (250k equivalent)......

Is 350k the best price back home?
best price i ask was 320,000 php...

Offline ESi

• DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2004 at 11:09 PM »
Grabe!
Been to Listening In style PODIUM. They are selling the 42" 198T! :o. No kidding. Perfect Vision reviewed and voted this set to be the closest plasma could get to present and resolve BLACK! tradeoff is the PAL ONLY tuner. But hey, you might be watching DVDs right? Or you may use it as a monitor only! Check It out! ;D

Offline bonjit

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2005 at 08:00 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm seriously buying a plasma in a couple of months. I've seen the Panasonic VIERA model no. TH-42PV30A. Fantastic picture but no DVI. Has anybody bought it. They're selling it here in Sydney for $4999 aussie dollars. How much is it now there in the Philippines; and any feedback how the model is. One should be careful before buying, it is a big investment. Considering also a Fujitsu but price is very steep, might settle for the Panasonic.

Bonjit  

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Life's too short, don't waste it!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2005 at 08:26 PM »
Please be sure to read the brochures that come with the Plasma Vierra. You will be shocked that it is a EDTV not a HDTV :o :o.

Offline bonjit

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Feb 06, 2005 at 06:17 AM »
Please be sure to read the brochures that come with the Plasma Vierra. You will be shocked that it is a EDTV not a HDTV :o :o.

Thanks for the info Mouldingo, I'll try to do some more research before buying :)

Cheers,
Bonjit

Offline mazzystar

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2005 at 09:12 AM »
i got one for 308, 18 months to pay.  Was supposed to get a samsung for 220 but when we saw the picture quality (of the viera), the difference was like heaven and earth.  we're very happy with the purchase (and quite depressed with the bill).   :)
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2005 at 09:12 AM by mazzystar »

Offline bonjit

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2005 at 06:14 PM »
i got one for 308, 18 months to pay.  Was supposed to get a samsung for 220 but when we saw the picture quality (of the viera), the difference was like heaven and earth.  we're very happy with the purchase (and quite depressed with the bill).   :)

Mazzystar, is that the 42 inch that you got, 1024 x 768 pixel resolution. I will be getting one in the very near future. Does it have DVI? Are there no dead pixels? What was the model no . if I may ask?

Cheers
Bonjit   

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:

Offline paolorenzo

• Trade Count: (+684)
  • DVD Guru
  • Triple Double Monster!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2005 at 11:02 AM »
The Viera is now selling for only P190k.  This is the cash price given to me by the HT shop in 4/F Shang EDSA mall (Sights & Sounds yata).  Listening in Style's pricing is P188k.

Bad lang is that PAL signal siya (as mentioned above).  And single tuner lang.

Meron older Panasonic 42" plasma model (2003 model yata), which can go as low as P145k lang (w/ cable box, and not original tuner, and w/o HTIB bonus "freebie").  P155k kung original tuner ang kasama.  Sa Listening in Style rin.

Sigh... bababa pa kaya ang price?  ???

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #15 on: Apr 27, 2005 at 05:12 PM »

Nothing wrong with EDTV, especially at 42" and for strictly DVD output since we don't exactly have HDTV broadcasts here in the Philippines. If you're confused between the 2 formats, read the following article:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/hdtv_edtv.htm

Another great thing about the Viera is its 60,000 hour life span which is equivalent to leaving it on 24x7 (continuously) for more than 6 years.
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline Mouldingo

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Apr 27, 2005 at 06:56 PM »
May sale din yung Panasonic na 50" plasma sa Listening Room MegaMall. 240T at limited quantity lang. Resolution niya ay 1280 x 768.

Offline watdhek

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2005 at 12:14 PM »
Got my plasma from the US for P150,000 inc. of shipping/taxes/duties. Model name is TH42PD50u. To compare with locally available Panny model (42PA30)- 8th gen plasma (vs. 6th gen local), 8.5+billion colors (vs. 1.04B), 4000:1 contrast (same), 2048 shades of gradation (1024 local), 60,000 hrs (same), ntsc tuner (vs. pal). They claim burn-in is practically a non-issue with 8th gen plasmas- you can use it as your pc monitor or play videogames hours on end without worries.

Only drawback is, warranty is not honored by local Panasonic dealers. To be honest, I didnt care since the 42PA30 is P320K, I dont think Id spend 170K for repairs. In fact its cheaper to buy another one in case my current unit bogs down.

Of course its up to you if you will follow my lead and get the latest plasma for half the price. If you think it's too much of a hassle having one shipped from abroad, then just get the local model, which is still way better than the rest.

One last thing, I dont recommend buying HD panels now. This model can rival those HD plasmas twice its price when viewing DVDs, even when placed side by side. Trust me on this. As of now, we have no use for HD units since HD programming isnt available locally, HD-DVD/bluray will only be available at the end of the year (inc. HD-DVD/Bluray players) and same with Xbox 360 (4th qtr 05) and PS3 (2nd qtr 06). Plasma prices are on the decline at a rate of 20%/annum. By the time these new tech becomes the standard, HD plasmas would be 40%-60% cheaper!

Offline phildg

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Jul 07, 2005 at 04:03 PM »
Sir watdhek, I think I'm going to follow your lead - to have a unit shipped here from the U.S. I'm just a little concerned with the warranty but defects should come out early, right? How is your unit now? If it's still ok, chances are it should be fine for a long time. Wala ba talaga silang international warranty? anyway, ganda ng reviews sa TH42PD50U. At first I was thinking of the Samsung with 10000:1 contrast but the reviews weren't good. So, if all goes well, I will be ordering the same unit as yours.

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • They say jump and you say how high
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Jul 07, 2005 at 06:25 PM »
May sale din yung Panasonic na 50" plasma sa Listening Room MegaMall. 240T at limited quantity lang. Resolution niya ay 1280 x 768.

sir would you know which model it is? thanks
« Last Edit: Jul 07, 2005 at 06:28 PM by v0elker »

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Jul 07, 2005 at 06:28 PM »
watdhek:  few questions if you dont mind...

1) online order ba? which online store?
2) which courier and what type of shipping did you use? how much did shipping cost?
3) how much did you pay in way of taxes/duties? pwede ba under the table? :-D

tia!

Offline firewired

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #21 on: Jul 08, 2005 at 06:59 AM »
I attended Listening in Style's launch of the Yamaha's New YSP-1
Digital Sound Projector last night. They had an on-the-spot promo for 2 Pana Plasmas:

1. Panasonic TH-42PW5 (Php125-K with modules/NTSC tuner)
2. Panasonic TH-42PW7 (Php125-K w/o modules/tuner)

The only major differences seem to be the contrast ratio (3000:1 for the PW5, 4000:1 for the PW7), advanced anti-burn circuitry, and the number of colors. In realworld testing, the sales rep said you'd be hard pressed to see the differences especially when viewing DVDs under ideal HT conditions. Both are 42" EDTV monitors meaning they upscale only up to 852x480. They demoed the PW7 unit by playing Jurassic Park III for us. Sitting about 8 feet away, the images were pretty spectacular despite the less than ideal conditions of the EDGE Showroom in
One McKinley.

Not sure if the promo is still valid after the event, but you can inquire through their stores in the Shang, Power Plant, or Festival malls.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2005 at 08:08 AM by firewired »
PinoyDVD: The Pinoy Digital Video & Devices Community

Offline watdhek

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Jul 12, 2005 at 12:18 AM »
Sir watdhek, I think I'm going to follow your lead - to have a unit shipped here from the U.S. I'm just a little concerned with the warranty but defects should come out early, right? How is your unit now? If it's still ok, chances are it should be fine for a long time. Wala ba talaga silang international warranty? anyway, ganda ng reviews sa TH42PD50U. At first I was thinking of the Samsung with 10000:1 contrast but the reviews weren't good. So, if all goes well, I will be ordering the same unit as yours.

Got my plasma about 2.5 months ago and so far I have yet to encounter problems. Well to be honest I dont use it that often, just 2-3 dvds and roughly 6 hrs of cable tv per week since Im still breaking it in (reduced brightness, picture, and sharpness levels).Last time I checked, it has logged just 80+hrs. When it reaches 100+hrs, I plan to use it more often.

The only drawback, as Ive mentioned before, is the lack of int'l warranty. Ive already asked Listening in Style, Abenson, and Automatic Centre and all of them said they will not honor the warranty. I dont know if this is a store policy or a manufacturer policy, better ask them yourself if you do get one. Another advice, get a APC smart UPS with the plasma since it is 110V. I can email you an online shop where you can get a refurbished one with a b/n battery. Definitely a bang for the buck deal!

Offline v0elker

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2005 at 06:31 AM »
The listening group has the 50PHW6 (6th gen panel, 50", HDTV resolution - 1366x768) plasma monitor (commercial model) for sale at just over P200k. Though it only comes with VGA input, no tuner, no other inputs, no speakers, not even a tabletop stand or wall bracket. Expansion modules for adding component inputs, tuner, composite/s-video inputs and DVI (HDMI module only works with the 7th gen model) are available separately. I think this plasma from Panny's commercial line first came out in 2003. The reviews I've seen for this panel are all positive.

I believe in the US they currently have the 7th gen commercial plasmas, with the 8th gen panels to be released anytime soon (or released na??).

Sabi ng friend ko sa US, the 7th gen commericial models are about to be phased out and are currently going for less than P200k, kasama na yung component and composite/s-video modules.

Sigh, sana eto na lang yung binebenta satin na mura instead of the 6th gen. But then wala rin yata choices locally, yung 6th gen na panny still seems to be the cheapest 720p HD plasma available locally. And just because it's an older gen panel shouldn't mean its no good eh?
« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2005 at 06:51 AM by v0elker »

Offline watdhek

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Jul 13, 2005 at 08:51 AM »
v0elker,

re your queries:

1. Bought it from PC Richard and Son since my Uncle knows the manager. Gave us a good deal, 20% off list price. I dont recommend buying a plasma from an internet store since shipping will be very expensive (they charge by weight)!

2. Shipping was thru Port Jersey. I paid roughly $550 net for door-door delivery, inc. insurance (4%).

3. Local tax and duties = 10% of purchase price (they will ask for a copy of the receipt). I dont think dealing with them under the table is worth it.

One more thing, the Panny 8th gen commercial model will be available this month. The 7th gen sells for $1500 without the bells and whistles.

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #25 on: Aug 04, 2005 at 11:20 AM »

I called listening room at megamall , and was quoted P148k for a pw7 w/ vga+composite+component inputs and choice of wall or pedestal mounting and a cable box (generic tuner) but  no speakers.

I would say good enough considering that buying from the US you would pay for shipping and have no warranty.

A Pw6 was quoted for P135K

I plan to visit them and maybe get one of the PW7's since all the reviews in the net are very positive.

Offline bonjit

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Aug 19, 2005 at 09:13 AM »
Hi guys,

I had a look at the new 8th generation plasma Panasonic Viera model no TH-42PV500A; quite impressed with the plasma, 42 inch (106 cm) high definition monitor. I was watching a high def broadcast,  totally impressed with the monitor, excellent brightness, color & deeper richer blacks. It also has a HDMI input, only thing is you should have a HDMI dvd player to use it. Price of the plasma is $5499 ausie dollars but the dealer is giving it to me for $4499 good discount.  I'd like to wait a couple of weeks more before I buy it. It is cheaper than the Fijitsu or the Pioneer so I think I'll settle for this one. Good thing I waited instead of me buying the older model.

Cheers
Bonjit
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2005 at 09:21 AM by bonjit »

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Sep 29, 2005 at 10:58 AM »
i suppose, after reading this thread, that listening in style and sights and sounds are better places to buy panasonic plasma panels, right? the prices given by the bigger chains seem to be stuck at 220k+ for current models, not to mention having limited models.  i've tried lg, hitachi and panasonic and it seems panasonic gives better picture quality (without having to go through empirical tests, of course) so i'm looking to find more models, as well as better prices.  any additional info here folks?

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #28 on: Sep 29, 2005 at 11:53 AM »
gren,

I have my panny  PW7  for almost 2 weeks now ,and we're really happy with it. With my rear projection TV , I always had to adjust contrast/brigthness even  just switching channels but now I get a balanced picture even switching inputs ( dvd and cable). The built in tuner is something that you can buy or delete as an option , depending on how you want to use it.  We use it as our normal tv set.. Viewing from 8 to 10 ft it is really great even w/ the HD shows I have collected.

One thing though about these particular model w/c is a commercial type is the no of inputs is a lot less than other types of plasma , not an issue for me.

Yes Listening room would be the cheapest place to get it .. They have the panny , toshiba and hitachi...

Panny w/out speaker is <140k ... while range of Panasonic/Toshiba/Hitachi w/ speakers is aroun 160K just EDTV resolution of course.

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Sep 29, 2005 at 01:46 PM »
heya jambam,

i called sights and sounds and listening in style and they did provide very low prices for them 42" plasmas.  so much so that the 50" toshiba 50xp47 is within reach (just not sure if its worth it).  would you know whats the diff between the pa30 and the pw7? the pw7 seems much cheaper.

alternatively, i'm eying the hitachi 42pd7800. not sure if 1024x1024 and 68billion colours are worth it though (almost 100k difference, probably more comparable to the 50" in terms of price).

what other panels did you look at?