Author Topic: Panasonic Viera?  (Read 8215 times)

Offline jambam

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Panasonic Vieira?
« Reply #30 on: Sep 30, 2005 at 11:22 AM »
gren..

The PW7 is a commercial model  and just a monitor if you don't add a tuner /speaker , cheaper if you don't need it. while the PA30 is a consumer model, so it's a complete TV set. The PA30 looks better  ... How much was the PA30 quote?

I was really tempted to buy the hitachi 7800 at first but cash price was still  too expensive, the color really looks good and even normal broadcast was nice..Almost bought one , luckily was able to control myself. I could buy 2 x PW7 for the price.

The fujitsu and Toshiba's are nice too they use panasonic panels but their own electronics., but the toshiba was bulkier , while a fujitsu was 60 k more .... In the showroom the hitachi picture looked better , but i was really looking too closely on the display that is why the higher resolution made the hitachi better. and the color saturation was gorgeous. And you are right for the price of a 7800 hitachi I would get the 50"

The reviews on the net all pointed out the panasonic and the price and size  was right for me... The trigger for me was I could get it at < P120k  w/ stand and component input only , which would have been good as a video monitor  for  my PC and dvd's .. But during delivery  I asked them to demo the cable tuner so that i see how it performs w/ my cable connection . but the pictures i got was nice enough that i ended up paying an additional  21k for the cable tuner  . And that is how my plasma ended up as our main TV, not as our home theather. ..

Offline Titanium

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #31 on: Sep 30, 2005 at 12:29 PM »
gren..

The reviews on the net all pointed out the panasonic and the price and size  was right for me... The trigger for me was I could get it at < P120k  w/ stand and component input only , which would have been good as a video monitor  for  my PC and dvd's .. But during delivery  I asked them to demo the cable tuner so that i see how it performs w/ my cable connection . but the pictures i got was nice enough that i ended up paying an additional  21k for the cable tuner  . And that is how my plasma ended up as our main TV, not as our home theather. ..

Hi jambam,

May I know what is your cable TV provider? Im also interested to buy a plasma TV but it will be used primarily for viewing TV programs, howevr, current feedbacks on reception is discouraging me. Im using destiny as cable provider. thanks

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Sep 30, 2005 at 01:42 PM »
ti..  I am also using destiny..my cable signal was really bad awhile back because of illegal connections along the line going thru our street and i complained for a month until they fixed it. Once fixed I really had a good signal..

All the showrooms and dealers I went to did not have any decent cable or ariel anttenna for me to try out . That is why i requested a demo of the tuner.. And our  previous main TV was a  50" rear projection , and  it was a big difference.  Just like my 21" wega except bigger in our darkened bedroom.

Of couse you have to view it from you standard viewing distance

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Sep 30, 2005 at 01:56 PM »
jambam,

the pa30 was approx 190k. i did not manage to get a quote for the pa50 but it seems a bit cheaper than the pa30.

the hitachi 7800 was 240k, but i'm a bit wary about the ASIM? technology they used to have a 1024 x 1024 resolution (not to mention the fact its rectangular pixels working here).

actually, the more i read the more i'm discouraged about having the plasma serve as a monitor, even part time.  burn in issues, resolution issues (too low, rectangular pixels), as well as high cost associated with high definition (lite) plasmas don't seem to be worth it.  if i'm considering resolution as my main requirement, i'd have to get either the 50 in pw6 or a 37" lcd tv (still haven't looked at lcds much, the lg lcd monitors i use aren't exactly encouraging).

thing is, as of now, plasmas look best for me, and the price is coming down. its just hard having to think of plunking down this much and having the perception that your stuff might get obsolete.

buying electronics is ever so fun :D

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Sep 30, 2005 at 04:57 PM »
gren,

If you are worried about resolution . I suggest you just have to compare it really . Hopefully you have access to 720p and 1080i content so that you can best decide for yourself..

As for me really close like 3 feet the HD display is better , but at 8 feet away I see no difference and for the past 2 weeks I forgot about my concern. I really wanted to get something soon so I could not wait.. But if your not in a hurry just pull the trigger when you really need it ...

Offline Titanium

• DVD Addict
  • "There is always a better way"
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Oct 01, 2005 at 09:21 AM »
ti..  I am also using destiny..my cable signal was really bad awhile back because of illegal connections along the line going thru our street and i complained for a month until they fixed it. Once fixed I really had a good signal..

All the showrooms and dealers I went to did not have any decent cable or ariel anttenna for me to try out . That is why i requested a demo of the tuner.. And our  previous main TV was a  50" rear projection , and  it was a big difference.  Just like my 21" wega except bigger in our darkened bedroom.

Of couse you have to view it from you standard viewing distance

Thanks, thats very encouraging. Have to audition plasma TV's next week.  ;D

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 02, 2005 at 09:51 PM »
well, took a better look today

between the pw7 and the hitachi 7800, both plasma, both 42"

you see more 'noise' on the 7800, i would attribute this to higher resolution actually making things more detailed, but the overall result was that it's noisier.

the pw7 looked the way it did, still good.

i also took a look at the 50 inch toshiba, 50xp47.  not bad really, only bad thing about it is the external tuner, aside from being an older model (i presume).  upcoming toshiba's are 55 series, with 48 as the one's that are currently in the market.  don't take my word for this, i'm only guessing.

lastly, comparing plasmas to lcds, it seems that as far as detail goes, lcd wins. lcd wins in terms of brightness as well.  but when it comes to big areas of non-detail, you see all sorts of banding effects, which only disappear when you're viewing the screen from afar.  still, the 37" tosh lcd is priced the same as the 50" tosh plasma :P

oh, one more thing, i finally managed to view dlp rptvs right. the tosh 62" dlp looked grrreeat, but only at 10-15' away. otherwise, it sucks.

Offline jambam

• DVD Addict
  • I love Tech toys
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 04:00 PM »
Gren,

I got curious  and checked . The toshiba 50xp47 is currently in their latest brochure, and I believe it is a panasonic panel w/ toshiba electronics. I would just verify if the life is rated for 60K hours and if yes it is a 7th gen panel or same generation as my PW7.

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 04, 2005 at 09:25 AM »
yeah, funny that.  the menus were identical  (pwd7 vs 50xp47).  i'm just verifying the specs and i could not, for the life of me, find anything definitive on it.  all i gathered is that the tosh has an external tuner, 2 component inputs and a vga input.

i'm still not sure which i'll get, panny, tosh or hitachi (7800).

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 08, 2005 at 03:57 PM »
I have used a Neuneo hdv2085 with a toshiba 52 inch projector. At a distance of 8 ft. the picture is very impressive. What if the real problem is the source and the cable? I have another dvd player at home which outputs 720p with its hdmi (pioneer s969) and I use it with my scaler using a crt projector and the picture is spectacular.

What I am driving at is, to really judge the capability of plasma or lcd display, one has to use a source that can show the true potential of the display. Take for example the toshiba 50x47, it has to receive a signal close or at its native resolution. If it receive a signal lower than 720p, the set will interpolate the signal and convert it to its native resolution. This will almost always be a trade off and you will not get the best picture possible.
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline gren

• Collector
  • Rawr
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 10, 2005 at 11:27 AM »
true enough. unfortunately, upscaling players seem to be quite a rarity here. would be nice to use a single dvd player to use with all the displays but unfortunately, i'll probably need to bring my own.

my best option so far would be to use a htpc setup with some funky postprocessing software to heighten the details (FFDShow http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-246752.html for FAQ) but bringing my pc to shops is a tad difficult.

so in the end, it boils down to educated guesses.

Offline alvinthx2

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • DVD Addict
  • System= source+amplification+speaker+ROOM
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 13, 2005 at 10:11 AM »
check the availability of the neu neo upscaling dvd player at audible illlusions timog qc (besides former lexus ktv).
STORMAUDIORevel,BAT,VPI,Accuphase,Bryston,Lumagen,Esoteric,PMC,AR,ROON,PURIFI,BENCHMARK,JBL

Offline Dracula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • There is a choice...death or immortality....
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Jan 22, 2006 at 07:33 PM »
Anybody shopped around for a viera recently?  Saw a 42" hitachi being sold for 150k and can be paid for in 24 months 0% interest.....

Offline tsampis

• Apprentice
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
Re: Panasonic Viera?
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2006 at 12:12 PM »
42" Panasonic is ranked number 1.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/

Don't look at anything else if you are looking for a 42".

Offline bonjit

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2006 at 04:28 PM »
Hi guys,

It's been a while since I did some posting. Ngayon lang dahil nagupgrade na ako at last ng tv. I bought a Panasonic plasma TH42pv500a high def. This is only an eighth generation plasma, I didn't get the new model, malaki rin ang difference $800 aussie dollars. I paid $2700 for the older model 20% dp and 24 months interest free, preety good deal; mas gusto ko ang cosmetic design nitong older Vierra kaysa noong bago. Silver is the new color of the new ninth generation plasma TH42pv60, hindi ko type yung kulay kaya yung older model na lang. If you compare the difference of the two mas detailed yung bago but if you're watching it  3 or 4 meters away hindi mo mapapansin, this is based on a high def broadcast. It will be delivered on Tuesday, can't wait till it gets here. I'll try to post some pictures once I've set it up :)

Cheers,
Bonjit 

Offline bonjit

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Jun 05, 2006 at 10:06 AM »
Hi guys,

I was able to set up my vierra last week, It took me the whole day. I had to transfer the old tv downstars and set it up too. The vierra is very heavy too, it weighs around 52 kgs with the table top stand. It took me quite a while to assemble the rack too and the connections. I hooked it up to my sony dvd player and played George Benson, amazed at the screen size, i.m not used yet to a big 42 inch ws at the moment, it looks so big and hugh, hooked it up to my standard definition set up box and I was amazed at the clarity of it. I still have to buy a high def set up box, once I have the money I will, malaki na ang  nagastos ko na nagagalit na si misis, malaki na ang utang sa card kaya lang masaya naman iyun ang importante.  I'll post some pictures later in the ht gallery once I vave time.

Cheers,
Bonjit

Offline barrister

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • cessante ratione legis, cessat ipsa lex
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 02:21 PM »
Updated Review:  42" Viera TH-42PA60M, EDTV 9th generation, purchased January 2007.

Break-in Procedure Used:

100 hrs.;  10 hrs. a day for 10 days using ABS-CBN / GMA free TV broadcast, zoomed to crop station logos from the picture.

=======================================================

Burn-in / Image Retention:

After 6 months, no burn-in, no IR.

Black Levels in a Dark Room:

Similar or better than CRT when displaying a combination of bright and dark areas.  But when displaying a scene that is nearly all-dark, the CRT is better.  Still, it's similar to what you would see in a movie theater, so it's good enough.

Motion Judder:

Judder is present on very slow camera pans.

Video Processing Delay:

Audio on my AV Receiver (Yamaha 657) requires adjustment to synchronize with the delayed video.  I use 16 ms audio delay for component video, and 8 ms audio delay for HDMI video connection.

"Screen Door" Effect:

Native pixels are visible from a viewing distance closer than 6 feet.  Recommended viewing distance is a minimum of 8 feet (My couch is 10 feet away).

"Purple Snakes" or Magenta Bands, and "Purple Ants":

None.

False Contouring/Solarization/Posterization:

Posterization is sometimes present on blurred backgrounds and underwater scenes of some DVDs, but they seem to be caused by the disc rather than by the panel itself.

"Green Tinge":

None.

Green Phosphor Lag:

There is green phosphor lag on fast-moving black-on-white objects.  I've also seen this artifact on the latest Pioneer 42" plasma, so the problem is probably present on all plasma units.

« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2007 at 03:16 PM by barrister »

Offline Signal2Noise

• Collector
  • Triode Junkie...It's MUSIC not HIFI!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 04:51 AM »
If my memory serves me right...42" 350,+++?

Overpriced....dito sa Dubai it only cost AED5,000+ x Php12.60=Php63,000 + US$100 for the airfreight.

Depende sa model but you can get here some 42" HD-LCD or HD-Plasma at AED5K-6K price range. Kahit pa sabihin gumastos ako ng Php100K including the cargo...Mura pa rin compared sa Php320K diyan sa Pinas.
VPI
Musical Surroundings
Harbeth
Sonusfaber
Garrard
Exposure
NAD
Amadeus SR#1 KT88
Maestro SET 845

Offline voj

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jul 16, 2007 at 06:50 AM »
Overpriced....dito sa Dubai it only cost AED5,000+ x Php12.60=Php63,000 + US$100 for the airfreight.

Depende sa model but you can get here some 42" HD-LCD or HD-Plasma at AED5K-6K price range. Kahit pa sabihin gumastos ako ng Php100K including the cargo...Mura pa rin compared sa Php320K diyan sa Pinas.

dude, you're quoting 2004 prices, ang layo na ng presyo ngayon!

Offline ganicru

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Collector
  • Hi!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jul 19, 2007 at 01:29 PM »
Got my Panasonic Plasma 42PV70H  for P85T with freebies pa (MP3 player and 3 R1 DVD movies), Theater Works, Trinoma Mall QC.
Panasonic PV70
Bose acoustimass 7, vcs10, mdl100x3
Velodyne CHT 8R
Kenwood KRF X9090D
Sony BDP S

Offline Nemesis91

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Atlantic Technology THX Ulta II
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Jul 19, 2007 at 11:39 PM »

Bro, baka naman 65" yung nakita mo. ::)