Author Topic: Desperate Housewives  (Read 17712 times)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
Desperate Housewives
« on: Oct 30, 2004 at 10:27 PM »
Anyone watching this show? I've been doing catch-up this week, and man, this is a really fun show. Quirky and unique, with great black humor. It deserves all the positive reviews its been receiving.

It's kind of unsettling, though, to see ultra-hotties Nicolette Sheridan, Marcia Cross and Teri Hatcher looking quite middle-aged.

But still ultra-hot.

I don't know how they can sustain the mysteries and dark humor beyond a season, though. I'm sure that having the dead housewife narrating will eventually lose its edge. And if they don't resolve the major pilot cliffhanger before the season ends, then this might be another Twin Peaks fiasco, where by the time "Who Killed Laura Pamer" was answered, half of the show's fans didn't even care anymore.

Still, I think this is the best scripted show currently on the air. I reserve the right to change that opinion after my "Lost" catch up marathon tomorrow, though.  8)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005 at 09:55 PM by Mr. Hankey »
Mr. Hankey the Christmas Poo... He loves me, I love you...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
Re: Desperate Housewives
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2004 at 12:15 AM »
I didn't know that Sheryl Lee, a.k.a. Twin Peaks' Laura Palmer, played the dead housewife in the original pilot episode of the show. That would've been so cool - she would've had the dubious honor of being the DEAD lead star of two of the most innovative and talked-about series to hit television screens.

I wonder why they replaced her. Oh well... it wasn't meant to be...
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2004 at 12:18 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 01:13 AM »
They replaced her because her voice over delivery supposedly wasn't humorous enough. The producers really want to get her back to play another character though.

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2004 at 02:38 AM »
I'm lost. Has this show started airing here?

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2004 at 02:27 AM »
Did you know a desperate housewife skit in a Monday Night Football commercial in ABC was removed after it stirred controversy?
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2004 at 03:47 PM »
Yeah, a parody involving Terrell Owens and Nicolette Sheridan:

These protesters really need to just shut up and give it a rest already. Without Janet Jackson's boob fiasco, a bare back in a humorous parody wouldn't have upset anyone.
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2004 at 03:50 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Klaus Weasley

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 511
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2004 at 06:39 PM »
I've seen a clip of it on ET. Americans are starting to make Filipinos look European.  :o The spot wasn't offensive at all. Only totally uptight prudes would be offended would that and I think those people live sad lives.

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2004 at 07:59 PM »
I was really looking forward to watching a new episode last week, so I was bummed when I found out it was bumped off by the American Music Awards. At least some of the Housewives made it as presenters on that show...
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2005 at 06:42 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2004 at 12:02 AM »
Wow.

I didn't think it was possible for the show to get any better, but I just finished watching this week's episode.

Wow.

After tonight, I'm permanently hooked.

I wonder if one... or two... of the characters will still be alive next week!

Click here to vote for Desperate Housewives as your favorite new drama in the People's Choice Awards!

(And check out the other categories, too.  :))
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2004 at 12:28 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Kahon

• Konsehal
  • DVD Guru
  • Hmpppp!!!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2004 at 07:20 AM »
I was really looking forward to watching a new episode last week, so I was bummed when I found out it was bumped off by the American Music Awards. At least some of the Housewives made it as presenters on that show...

bit OT, did u see anna nicole smith as a presenter of AMA all bombed out??!?!
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2004 at 07:28 AM by Kahon »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2004 at 11:58 AM »
bit OT, did u see anna nicole smith as a presenter of AMA all bombed out??!?!

Yeah, I saw it. Wild, huh?

"Do you like my bodyyyy???"

I think she made PinoyDVD Board history: There's actually an entire thread devoted to that 30 second appearance.  :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 07:58 PM »
Excellent Newsweek article:

Sex and the Suburbs

Click here
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2004 at 08:04 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2005 at 06:19 PM »
A well-deserved Golden Globe Awards win for the series and for Teri Hatcher!  :)

Offline arbitrary

• Collector
  • i lurk a lot.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2005 at 09:21 PM »
I don't know how they can sustain the mysteries and dark humor beyond a season, though. I'm sure that having the dead housewife narrating will eventually lose its edge.

I agree. I find Lost more engaging; halfway through the season and Desperate Housewives the wives' antics are getting old. But Eva Longoria a.k.a. Teh Hotness is enough to keep me watching. :D

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2005 at 01:12 PM »
Will that series ever get aired locally?  Would Star World (or even WOWOW) have the balls to pick up such a provocative show like that?

Offline jayps

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Collector
  • "was blind, but now I see..."
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 04:47 PM »
ive seen episodes 1 to 12, and i think it peaked in ep 8 (so far) the last few eps haven't been really as engaging as the first 8 possibly because the plot is moving too fast, i really think they have to slow it down and have more filler epiosdes with little advancement in the plot . My favorite housewife is marcia cross!!! 

the Dh cast recently guested in Oprah, did that episode air here already?  I kinda lost track of oprah in starworld cause they air reruns during their the run of the new episodes. anyone here knows? thanx :)

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2005 at 06:37 PM »
the Dh cast recently guested in Oprah, did that episode air here already?  I kinda lost track of oprah in starworld cause they air reruns during their the run of the new episodes. anyone here knows?

The "Oprah-on-Wisteria Lane" fantasy segment will only be shown today, February 3rd, in the States, so I'm guessing we can catch it on either Studio 23 or Star World soon. I really have no idea how far behind either channel is on Oprah episodes.

Offline jayps

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2005 at 04:59 PM »
The "Oprah-on-Wisteria Lane" fantasy segment will only be shown today, February 3rd, in the States, so I'm guessing we can catch it on either Studio 23 or Star World soon. I really have no idea how far behind either channel is on Oprah episodes.

No before the episode that you're talking about,  I think during DH episode 2 oprah already guested the entire cast, the one you're talking about is the newer one which is behind the scene special. the one im talking about is the very first interview of the cast in oprah. anyway starworld is not that far behind, their airing new epsiodes now but someimtes they air reruns between those new epsiodes. 

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2005 at 07:16 PM »
Yet another win for Teri Hatcher (Best Female Actor in a Comedy) and for the show (Best Comedy Series) at yesterday's Screen Actors Guild Awards.

By the time it airs locally, can this show actually live up to all its hype?

Offline sickmaggot

• Collector
  • Sick & Twisted
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2005 at 05:21 PM »
I can't wait to see this one. Eva is HOT!!!!!

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2005 at 11:16 AM »
I think last Sunday's episode proved that Teri Hatcher really deserves her two recent awards. Wow.

Mary Alice's narration, though, is beginning to annoy me. She sounds like a smart ass! But I still like the things she says at the end of the shows.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2005 at 11:18 AM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Mar 07, 2005 at 01:40 AM »
the one im talking about is the very first interview of the cast in oprah.

It aired on Starworld last night. Did you get to see it, jayps?

Next new episode in the States is three weeks away. Long wait! I hate the period after February sweeps. Rerun hell except for reality shows, usually.

Offline jayps

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2005 at 06:51 PM »
It aired on Starworld last night. Did you get to see it, jayps?

Next new episode in the States is three weeks away. Long wait! I hate the period after February sweeps. Rerun hell except for reality shows, usually.

Oh yes! I saw it! Im just a little disappointed that Oprah talked to them individually instead of just one big chat show with everybody. becasue of that she got to talk wirh MArcia Cross and Felicity huffman for about 3 minutes only especially huffman. But I LOVE Eva Longoria, she 's so excited to be on the show! And Teri doing the stripper dance :)  and the real life edie (6 times a day???!!!)

anyway mr hankey i dont know if you already know this link but check this out if you dont, its a 1 and a half hour interview of the entire cast

http://www.emmys.tv/events/2005/desperate.php

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2005 at 10:32 PM »
Just watched the Oprah show a few minutes ago.

The image of Teri Hatcher going spread eagle on national TV will forever be burned in my retinas - Oprah's expression was priceless.  ;D

Thanks for the link! Will check it out...

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Mar 22, 2005 at 02:42 PM »
I didn't know that Sheryl Lee, a.k.a. Twin Peaks' Laura Palmer, played the dead housewife in the original pilot episode of the show. That would've been so cool - she would've had the dubious honor of being the DEAD lead star of two of the most innovative and talked-about series to hit television screens.

I wonder why they replaced her.

Her replacement also has the same distinction. I just found out that Brenda Strong played the mother who died in the pilot episode of Everwood, but continued to play the part in a few more episodes of the show despite her demise.

Surely that was intentional casting - from one dead character on Twin Peaks to another on Everwood.

Funny casting director they must have.  ::)
« Last Edit: Mar 14, 2012 at 08:17 PM by Mr. Hankey »

Offline deweyfinn

• DVD Guru
  • ...still kickin' arse....
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #25 on: Mar 23, 2005 at 01:22 PM »
Can't wait for it to be aired locally...even on cable....

ssssslllluuurrrrrrrrpppppppppppppppp......................

TERI HATCHER

Offline Mr. Hankey

• Kapitan
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Howdy Ho!
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Apr 07, 2005 at 01:18 AM »
"Oprah on Wisteria Lane" is on this Sunday's Oprah: Primetime on StarWorld at 8:00PM.

This may be the 3rd time in my life I'll be watching Oprah.  ;D

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Apr 08, 2005 at 06:07 AM »
a lot of the entertainment news shows were talking about the whole vanity fair shoot "catfight" between teri and marcia ... do you guys think it's real??

i mean... if it was just some story made to drum up publicity, does the show need it? i heard it's doing pretty well ratings-wise naman ah.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #28 on: Apr 08, 2005 at 08:02 PM »
You guys decide if the shoot breakdown is real  :):

'Desperate' Damage Control

After a knock-down, drag-out catfight, the only thing left to do is sweep up the fur. Teri Hatcher and ABC appear to be in damage-control mode in the wake of the diva-crammed catastrophe that was the "Desperate Housewives" cover shoot for Vanity Fair.

As we told you on Monday, the poolside set was filled with tempers, tears and enough four-letter words to make the tykes from "South Park" blush. Fingered as the main culprit was Marcia Cross, who was reportedly irate that Hatcher had violated a heretofore unknown network policy by going into wardrobe first and scoring a scorching red vintage swimsuit.

"I never heard that before I read that article so I actually read the thing and I went, 'Really? I'm not allowed in the wardrobe trailer before anyone else?'" Hatcher tells Access Hollywood.

The magazine reports that ABC sent an "enabler" to the shoot with a list of "mandatory stipulations," including one that prevented Teri from getting a sartorial leg up on Cross, Eva Longoria, Felicity Huffman and Nicollette Sheridan.

According to Hatcher, "I walked into the wardrobe trailer and I basically said, 'So what do you want me to wear?' and she held up that red suit and I put it on. That was it. All of 30 seconds."

The Golden Globe-winning actress, who has garnered the lion's share of kudos and attention for the smash series, admits that it "was not particularly easy to have people from ABC who realistically were representing all of us not really behaving that way."

The meltdown moment is said to have occurred when Cross got an eyeful of her scarlet-suited co-star, who was originally situated in the center of the group shot, another no-no from the "mandatory stipulations." The actress reportedly went ballistic and demanded an intermediary take action.

"Eventually Marcia Cross refused to stand next to her and started screaming to her publicist in this kind of profanity-laced tirade saying, 'Get over here and do your 'bleeping' job or you're going to be in 'bleeping' trouble,'" Vanity Fair editor Ned Zeman reveals to Access.

He adds, "I would say Felicity Huffman and Nicollette Sheridan both were extremely consistently professional. Nobody really crossed the line except for Marcia Cross, who really crossed the line and was humiliating people and generally making it difficult for everyone."

Hatcher, however, isn't sure it went down quite that way. "I don't know if that's true, but you have to ask. I'm not Marcia," she delicately explains to AH. "I kind of don't believe that because I've never seen Marcia admit that feeling, so I don't think that's probably accurate."

Still, she concedes, "It's Vanity Fair. They are not going to print something that they can't print."

Teri's memory also seems to falter when Access asks whether she engaged in some on-set blubbering: "I don't remember tears."

In a carefully worded statement, ABC all but admitted the shoot was a disaster so epic "Titanic" director James Cameron could probably turn it into "Wisteria Lane: The Movie": "While negotiating certain elements of photo shoots is standard practice, and was part of our coordination with Vanity Fair, this shoot simply did not go as planned. Because of this, our talent were made to deal as best they could with a situation not of their making. This one isolated incident does not define these women or their relationship."

Says an optimistic Hatcher, whom we urge to keep an eye out for any stray cutlery from craft services that might be aimed at her back, "I haven't spoken to any of the ladies yet ... What I know is that all of the girls are supportive of each other and think that everyone is tremendously talented in their roles ... I think that no one wants to damage that and that will be our job, to come forward from this and figure out how to repair damage."

Teri's image buffering has already begun. The Insider reports the good-hearted actress tossed a surprise baby shower for co-star James Denton on the set this week. Hatcher, who recently received a hefty raise from ABC, paid for and hosted the bash for erstwhile plumber Mike Delfino, who recently welcomed daughter Malin with wife Erin O'Brien.

The "Desperate" issue of Vanity Fair hits stands April 12.

Offline SPaCeMaN SPiFF

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Apr 09, 2005 at 03:03 AM »
the article forgot to mention that since this a fold-out cover... marcia and felicity won't even be SEEN when it hits the news stands.  :P

all that "bleep"-ing... for nothing. LOL.   >:D