Author Topic: Integrated SACD/CD/DVD Players  (Read 20349 times)

Offline rascal101

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Naraniag nga aldaw kinyayo amin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
Re: Integrated SACD/CD/DVD Players
« Reply #90 on: Mar 03, 2006 at 10:57 AM »
I hope that SACD media and players get cheap soon.

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #91 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 12:54 PM »
To those using SACD capable players, if you play SACD does your player display it to be such?  ::)
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Cheers from a movie and music lover
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #92 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 01:03 PM »
I don't have one, but it should.  The same way that my DVD player can distinguish and display if its DVD-video or DVD-audio or CD or CD-R or DVD-R.  But if not, I would think the TV monitor should be able to dsiplay the menu on an SACD like in a DVD-audio.  That way you can confirm if you're playing the SACD layer or just the CD layer of a hybrid SACD.

If you have a non-hybrid SACD, a genuine SACD player should be able to play it.  No other CD player can as it has no CD layer. 

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 01:34 PM »
I borrowed the burned copy of a Hybrid SACD of my friend and it is not displaying as "SACD" in my Pioneer SACD player. Maybe i have to turn on the TV and check it out there instead. Tnx for the info bro --  ;D
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Mar 09, 2006 at 02:09 PM »
A "burned copy" of an SACD?  What I know is that there's is no software at the moment that can rip an SACD's high resolution tracks into a PC nor is there a software that can burn a DSD high resolution file to a blank DVD.   Check the medium on a PC and check the size and contents.  I think what was "burned" is just the CD layer of a Hybrid SACD.  No wonder the player can't display if its SACD.  I don't think it is. 
« Last Edit: Mar 10, 2006 at 11:29 AM by av_phile1 »

Offline jerix

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 10:31 AM »
Ah, ok i think thats the real answer. What was copied may have been the CD layer only. tnx sir  ;)

Offline Philander

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Mar 10, 2006 at 10:39 AM »
To those using SACD capable players, if you play SACD does your player display it to be such?  ::)

yes, my pioneer and sony sacd players both have sacd display in the osd and in the player's display.

Offline razzahsleb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Apprentice
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #97 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 11:53 AM »
Sirs,
How do you hook up a subwoofer given a Stereo SACD analog output without degradation. Thanks.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #98 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 12:59 PM »
Sirs,
How do you hook up a subwoofer given a Stereo SACD analog output without degradation. Thanks.

Not possible, if you are using 'direct' mode. However, if you are using non-direct moce connection (bass and tremble controls can be applied as well as bass mix/management), then use the analog stereo input of the receiver and enable bass mixing.

I am not sure if there are SACD player that will enable bass mix/management for 2channel SACD audio.

Offline razzahsleb

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #99 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 01:31 PM »
Not possible, if you are using 'direct' mode. However, if you are using non-direct moce connection (bass and tremble controls can be applied as well as bass mix/management), then use the analog stereo input of the receiver and enable bass mixing.

I am not sure if there are SACD player that will enable bass mix/management for 2channel SACD audio.

Sir,
Would it be a bad thing to simply tap from the L+R outputs of the player instead?
Thanks and more power sir.

Offline Philander

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #100 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 01:35 PM »
Sir,
Would it be a bad thing to simply tap from the L+R outputs of the player instead?

Yes. if you want PURITY. But if you really want it, then do so. If you like then its good.

IMHO, you dont need subwoofer for a stereo if you have considerably good amplifier and speakers.

Offline av_phile1

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #101 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 01:39 PM »
Sir,

That's basically what Outlaw Audio ICBM bass management does.  It takes a stereo input and filters out the bass signals to feed a sub-out terminal to your subwoofer.  There are also sub-harmonic generators from dbx and peavey that does the same and simulates an octave of bass lower than the lowest signals on your stereo signal so you get more heart-pounding bass from a competent sub-woofer.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2006 at 01:40 PM by av_phile1 »

Offline razzahsleb

• Apprentice
  • Liked:
« Reply #102 on: Jun 07, 2006 at 02:26 PM »
Yes. if you want PURITY. But if you really want it, then do so. If you like then its good.

IMHO, you dont need subwoofer for a stereo if you have considerably good amplifier and speakers.
That's basically what Outlaw Audio ICBM bass management does.  It takes a stereo input and filters out the bass signals to feed a sub-out terminal to your subwoofer.  There are also sub-harmonic generators from dbx and peavey that does the same and simulates an octave of bass lower than the lowest signals on your stereo signal so you get more heart-pounding bass from a competent sub-woofer.

Thanks to both of you sirs. You ROCK! 8)

Offline LETOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #103 on: Nov 06, 2006 at 12:01 PM »
So based on the discussion of SACD compatible and SACD playback capable, how do consider the Pioneer DV-655A which is a universal player (SACD/DVD-A). Is it compatible or capable. When play hybrid SACD the unit displays SACD in its display window? And how about the Pioneer DV-696AV-S? Thanks for any info

Offline pinoyhd

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #104 on: Jul 09, 2007 at 05:17 PM »
From audioslave:   

« Reply #55 on: Nov 30, 2004 at 10:56 AM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
hey guys, i would like to amend my early review on the comparison of the CD and SACD formats played on my CD Player and SACD Player, respectively.

since i acquired the Sony DVP-NS915V just recently, that means i'm not yet quite familiar with its features and controls. found out recently that what i've been comparing in my A-B test is the CD layer of the Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven SACD disk and the Chesky CD version of the same title. of course the CD version if played on my CD Player would be the better sounding medium than the CD layer of the SACD played on the DVD Player.

pardon me on this....

now that i discovered how to play the SACD version of the disk, i did my comparison once again and the result was astonishingly favorable to the SACD format by a very considerable margin of improvement in terms of sonic qualities. the SACD simply exudes a wider soundstage, richer details and fuller bass. it is as if the SACD format is kinda more authoritative in giving musical satisfaction than the regular CD. the SACD format is definitely more revealing on details and dynamics which makes music listening a very joyful experience.

with SACDs, you'll get to hear more....

try it!!  Grin Grin Grin

I bought a Sony DVP-NS915V last March 2007.  I just could not play the Rebecca Pidgeon - Retrospective SACD album, which should be hybrid. When I inserted the disc, it is simply detected as CD.  I press the SACD/CD button of the remote control, and it says, "This button is unuseable..." or similar.

Just last June, I received another SACD from Japan, My Favorite Things(Sacd Hybrid) by Tiffany (Ft Hank Jones Trio Plus).  This could as well be detected merely as CD.

Sir audioslave and other DVP-NS915V owners, may I ask how you were able to play the SACD layer?
Did I miss any setting?

Thanks you.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2007 at 05:40 PM by pinoyhd »

Offline LETOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #105 on: Jul 10, 2007 at 10:26 AM »
Maybe you should need to visit the set-up menu or menu related to audio set-up. Check SACD settings if it was set to 5.1 or 5 channel.

My player has a different brand but probably they have similar way to setting up. If your player was set to 2ch or stereo in the SACD menu then it would only detect standard CD information if the material is hybrid.