Author Topic: Sigaw by Yam Laranas  (Read 2284 times)

Offline RMN

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sigaw by Yam Laranas
« on: Nov 08, 2004 at 02:45 PM »
A horror flick that stars Angel Locsin and Richard Gutierrez. Directed by Yam Laranas.

Offline halvert

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • DVD Guru
  • kiss me you fool!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 470
Re: Sigaw by Yam Laranas
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2004 at 09:39 PM »
dapat mumu-lawin na lang ang title ;D

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 03:18 PM »
When I saw the trailer, I couldn't shake the feeling that I'm watching a condensed version of Hideo Nakata's Dark Water. Though I normally would watch this movie to be proven wrong, I'm going to abstain from watching any MMFF entries this year if I can help it.

4 Movies from the same producer in one film fest just isn't right.

Offline Swiss Knife

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2005 at 08:04 AM »
Too common. Bad acting.  :P

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2005 at 08:58 AM »
We did not like it but it was not a total bore that you would like to leave the movie house.Kaming dalawa lang ni swiss na nood last show kagabi so pag tapos agad ng movie, takbo! :)
It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 12:40 AM »
No standout scare sequences - - - save perhaps the movie theater one - - -and rather thin narrativewise (a nit, of course, what horror movie isn't - - -Yam co-writing it with Roy Iglesias might have helped raise it above the turd level of Feng Shui or maybe it's the absence of Kris . . . ?)  but not-bad acting (Jomari's specially nasty in that elevator scene) , terrififc cinematography and atmosphere. Good enough. Yam's second best movie, I think. * * *.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 12:53 AM »
I thought i just escape or broke my promise that not to watch any regal films entry to MMFF. But i proved myself wrong. I just watch Sigaw by Yam Laranas. Maybe because i like his cinematography and editing. Well siyempre Yam Laranas yan. But Sigaw is from Regal also. Sigaw for me its not scary!!! The scoring that makes me scare or nakakagulat. But montage on the past and present is good. I hope some ordinary film viewers noticed that. Or should i say naiintindihan nila yung takbo ng story. Or sanay lang ako maybe manood ng Asian Horror films. Twist sometimes. Some viewers i heard their reactions after viewing the film that Sigaw is not good!!! Well i hope they really learned on watching films on how to appreciate a good or bad film like Sigaw. Or they get confused on the entire story because of the montage style on past and present.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 12:55 AM »
Wrong choice of characters for the film or wrong choice of actors and actresses.  :)

Offline Jude

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Addict
  • Hello!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 01:08 AM »
Pasting this in from my MMFF post. Sigaw was such a missed opportunity because the cinematography was great (although they could have cut down on the dutch tilts) but it needed much tighter editing. They should have shortened a lot of the shots leading up to the scares and cut out a lot of the scenes that overexplained the story. Each shot felt just a second too long and each scene felt just a shot too much. Sobra-sobra yung pinapakita nila so hindi na ganung ka-effective as horror. And I think the building would have seemed even more menacing if they didn't dirty it up that much. Masyadong naging obvious. They basically show the origins of the hauntings three times! So by the end there's no mystery anymore. For one thing, I'd have cut out or at least drastically trimmed Ronni Lazaro's long exposition scene. Parang wala silang natutunan sa ibang Asian horror films that "less is more". Sayang talaga kasi all it needed was maybe at least one more pass in the editing room and it could have been much scarier. Siguro minadali.

Anyway, I kinda prefer Feng Shui to Sigaw. Feng Shui was fun in an over-the-top guilty pleasure sort of way. And compared to Sigaw it was cut much more tightly and the exposition rarely if ever got too tedious. Also, there was always something new going on in the story. And it's the type of cheesy horror flick that improves on video. Dismissing it on account of Kris is just way too easy. It may be ridiculous at times, but it somehow works as entertaining schlock.

In Sigaw, I kept praying for the movie to just stop explaining what was happening and just get on with it. Did the whole murder-suicide really have to be replayed twice for the audience as a flashback and then explained to death in a long expository monologue? Since there really wasn't much happening with the script it just kept circling back towards the same narrative points. As a horror movie it looks good but doesn't really play well, nor do all its potentially promising elements click together. I don't think the transition to video will help it either. And boy, was the score intrusive and overbearing.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2005 at 01:54 PM »
Aye. That exposition did feel like padding AND pandering. I'm sure A LOT of people needed that. 

I don't think it tried too hard. The score, at times, maybe. Feng Shui is very Western in temperament - - -shlocky gore on parade, show-everything-til-the-audience pukes, have someone lay out the rules midstream, prefarably an occultist, sensational deaths etc.etc. (Lotlot's death scene was wonderful, I thought and so was the security guard, otherwise- - nope, didn't like it much.)  Sigaw was trying to be a bit more Asian, that is, a bit more understated  - - -emphasis on the trying, whether it succeeded or not is really a matter of opinion.

What I would've wanted sana was for the movie to go further into someplace more insane like the Asian horror movies it wants to emulate When the ghosts started attacking the girlfriend , for instance (in what was one of very few,for me, ludicrous sequences) and the couple had to hide out in a moviehouse (nice touch, that - - -your life is going to surreal hell, you grab onto whatever foothold of status quo you can , so yeah, I'd hide out in a moviehouse, too, if that happened to me, or go buy CDs maybe  ;D) , all the standard horror movie rules went out the window. Suddenly ,it was on the verge of anything goes.  But then it had to circle  back to the macrocosm of that haunted house and to what was obviously the solution to the whole thing in the first place.

Sayang.

I've got my nits and all but  I don't really want to dis a movie that I didn't feel bad about spending my money on so yeah, I still thought it was time well spent. Good show, all told, and hopefully the srtart of a trend that will eventually improve. Hopefully. The genre's ostensibly Pinoy, I wish we could milk more of it.

And I never noticed who the producer was 'til the end. Doesn't matter to me, really. She could produce all the damn entries if she wants, long as they're good.

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2005 at 04:24 PM »
after capturing most of the technical awards :) we're going to make a 2 disc SE for intl release...with DDaudio  and directors commentary and interactive menus any suggestions? btw our QC guys did it so i havent seen the movie :P  but i was assinged for the audio transfer siguro kaka pinoydvd ko hehehehehehehe

Offline edboy7

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • My name is Juan Antonio
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2005 at 10:34 PM »
to add, it will have fullscreen and widescreen viewing options ;D

Offline Centurion Obama

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Ave Caesar!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2006 at 12:44 AM »
Sigaw wins the Orbit Award at the Brussels International Festival of Fantastic Film.  Woo-hoo!  More awards.
Free Burma pa rin!

Offline uebetan12

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Collector
  • Hi, I'm new here!
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2006 at 08:40 AM »
ive seen parts of the movie and i think it deserved the award from belgium......................... that's the reason why i got curious and bought the dvd............

maganda nga ang movie, yung mga nag post lang ang nagsasabi na di maganda,

bakit ko sila paniniwalaan!

Offline aszamora

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • DVD Guru
  • En Taro Adun
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2007 at 07:49 PM »
Just stumbled into this in Yahoo!:
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20070612/118164185600.html