Author Topic: PA SIYAM  (Read 24557 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PA SIYAM
« on: Nov 23, 2004 at 07:38 PM »
After Feng Shui comes another horror flick megged by Erik Matti from the company that gave us TIYANAK. The title is so ominous that I don't want to happen to my loved ones.
« Last Edit: Nov 23, 2004 at 07:46 PM by keating »

Offline quark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Collector
  • Liked:
hey all!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 12:32 PM »
long time no see. i miss you guys. anyway, i'm posting something erik sent me about pasiyam, for anyone who's interested. i think they want to hit the college/net-surfing/AB market with this one since it actually is an independent production made in HD that's marketed through REGAL. so check the movie out! it'll be interesting to see what erik matti can come up with without the outside pressure from studios...

+by the way the file he sent me kinda had typographical glitches and was a block. i was able to segment everything but the typos remain. sorry.+

DirectorÕs Notes and Reflections Ð Pa-SiyamErik MattiNovember 5, 2004 (11:00 pm - 3:30 am)Ortigas Center, Pasig City

OUR OWN SWEAT AND BLOOD
About selling the movie, I want it to go the ÒexploitativeÓ route but in a more sincere and honest way. It's like "we are poor but passionate about movies" kinda thing. I want people to know that out of our own sweat and blood, we came up with this small movie. ItÕs our response in the face of what they say is a Òdying movie industry.Ó The concept is fresh and original. ItÕs not a rip-off of a Japanese horror movie or an American movie. What keeps the Filipino movies in the theaters now is the group of working class people who, after work, want to watch a movie. ItÕs not the masa who watches Filipino movies anymore. HOW PA-SIYAM WAS BORNE
I'll tell you first how the story of Pa-Siyam was borneÉ After going through the international film festivals through Prosti and Gagamboy, I saw how people abroad like the festival programmers, the journalists, and the viewersÉ I saw how they think about Filipino movies.When you hear what journalists and critics have to say about Filipino movies, manliliit ka. They (programmers) are scared to get Filipino movies because we are famous for homosexual movies. All other Asian countries are getting noticed globally but the Philippines.Serious Asian movie fanatics have this to say about Filipino movies: the reason why Filipino movies are strong in markets like Toronto is because they think of our films as novelty films. For example, if you want to see a house that doesnÕt look like a house, go see a Third World Filipino movie, if you want male dancers rubbing oil on their bodies, watch a Pinoy movie.I was in Italy for the exhibition of Gagamboy. And after looking at the other movies there, I thought, ÔSiyet, i have to do something fresh and universal too!Ó. Looking at the Korean or Chinese movies makes you get jealous of their work. Their movies are true to their cultures but with a very strong universal theme that holds their stories.ThatÕs when I started cooking the idea about the story of two people separating in two weeks time. The lead actress, the wife, says to her husband, ÔIÕm leaving you. IÕm just waiting for the closing of the school yearÉÕ So itÕs a study of how two people separate. I asked Cherry Pie Picache and Joel Torre, if they would do it for free sa akin? I told them most of the scenes would be improvisational. And they agreed! They said, ÔSige!Ó I was supposed to do the movie out of my own money. Naikuwento ko kay Dondon that I wanted to do this movie out of my own money. Nakalimutan ko rin because I got busy. IÕm still finishing the outline of the movie actually. And then Dondon asked me, ÔDi ba gagawa tayo ng movie sa company natin?Õ That's when we started working. At first, we wanted to do a movie about a hitman na may sex and violence. The story is a very Pinoy set-up of a hitman. The premise was it's difficult to catch these hitmen and the reason is because they're always hired from prison. After they're done with the job, they go back to prison. So you keep looking for them but you can't find them because they are already in prison.We didn't pursue that concept because SM came up with the Ôno R-18Õ policy. So we said, letÕs just do a horror movie.I've always wanted to do a horror movie. Dondon and I even had a concept before entitled Feng Shui about the unluckiest house and presented that to Mother. We sat down with Roy Iglesias for the story. But Mother did not push through with the project. Sabi niya, ÔAyokong gawin ang movie about Feng Shui na horror. Magagalit ang mga Instik sa akin diyan!Õ So nawala iyong Feng Shui idea. And then we heard Star Cinema was doing a Feng Shui movie.

HORROR WITH CERTAIN LIMITATIONS
So we decided that the movie would be a horror movie. Before we started writing the script, we had to think of a story that would work around certain limitations. First was that the movie had to be shot within a short period of time. Second it would be shot on high-definition (HD) or digital video (DV) format. I really wanted the mini-DV format but HD was more accessible cost-wise. Third, we had to assemble actors and staff who would agree to be paid later on. Noong nabanggit ko kay Don-don iyong project about the improvisational movie on a couple separating, akala niya that it would be done under our company, Reality Entertainment. I originally intended to produce the project myself because it is a very personal movie but then when I thought about it, it would really be wiser to produce the movie under Reality Entertainment and make a more commercial project. In that way, there would be less risk on my part financially. What I am saying is, if i do my personal movie, it's a concept that's harder to sell. But then if someone else other than my self is also in the project, then I would be forced to work hard to make it work commercially rather than come up with a personal movie like Lav Diaz' long masterpieces that even if not released theatrically, ok lang sa kanya as long as he was able to do it. And if the movie becomes successful, then we could go and do other projects under a similar set-up. Then, I can do the movies that I really want to do. Back to the script, we decided that the story should be universal but truly Pinoy. When I say universal, it's such that even if you're from Timbuktu, you would still know what the filmmakers are talking about.

TWISTS UPON TWISTS UPON TWISTS!
So the first premise we thought of was about a closely-knit family of which the mother dies. ThereÕs a belief that if you donÕt embalm the dead, the dead comes back. So because this family loves the mother so much, the surviving members didnÕt want to embalm her. And then she comes back and they were happy. Then bad things begin to happen. Yon pala, the father is also brought back from the graveÉ We didnÕt pursue this first story because it sounded it was kinda forcing it through. It was difficult to complete the plotline without making it contrived.And then we thought of the Pa-Siyam angle. ItÕs partly inspired by the Da Vinci CodeÉ you think the story is this and then Ð boom! ItÕs not what you thought it was! ItÕs twists upon twists upon twists! The audience keeps guessing all the time whatÕs going to happen. More than being a horror movie, there is a strong mystery angle to the story. A horror movie with a whodunnit angle.Pa-Siyam is my first horror movie. IÕve always wanted to do a horror movie. IÕve done horror for television, Kagat ng Dilim which was even ahead of Nginig and Wag Kukurap by four years. And it's only now that they are starting to copy the format. Making a horror movie is a risk. It needs careful manipulation of the audience. Careful in the sense that if you go overboard on the horror scenes in the wanting to scare your audience to death para sulit ang bayad nila, then you'll overdo the horror and leaves you open to resorting to cheap tricks. The risk is that, as filmmakers, we want it horrifying but we donÕt also want any of the cheap tricks like strong music to jolt the audience or a hand grabs your protagonist 'yon pala kapatid niya. i want a classic horror movie that's based on a truly horror story and not just a bag of so many horror tricks that if you take those out and look into the story, you'll find out na hindi pala talaga siya horror. Complicated. It is a complicated genre to handle because you have to be constantly ahead of your audience but you shouldn't be fooling them too much to be condascending towards them thereby alienating them.

THE SCARIEST HORROR MOVIE
The scariest movie I ever saw was RosemaryÕs Baby. That's a horror movie that doesn't manipulate the audience with cheap tricks. ItÕs about a childless young couple who meets an old couple and then suddenly their lives improveÉ The wife becomes pregnant. The husband whoÕs a struggling actor suddenly gets a big break. Good things suddenly happen to them, itÕs so eerie. So the story of Pa-Siyam is about a mother who dies. Previously, she was left in the care of the caretakers Ð an old married couple and their daughter. One day, she was found dead by the caretakers. So the children were informed and they come back to the province to bury the mother. The eldest child, who is played by Roderick, returns from Saudi Arabia. So the children bury their mother, after which most of them want to leave. Roderick tells his siblings, ÔNo, IÕm stayingÉ The least we could do is to pray for our mother.Õ Eventually, the others also decide to stay. They have the pa-siyam which is nine days of novena prayer for the soul of the departed. And then strange things start to happenÉ

SUNTOK SA BUWAN NA MAPAPAYAG NAMIN SI RODERICK
The cast was assembled when the story was already written. Suntok sa buwan na mapapayag namin si Roderick. We thought he wouldnÕt accept the project. But when I pitched to story to him over dinner, he said, ÔIÕll do it.Õ He particularly loved the family angle of the movie. It is famous in showbiz circles that Kuya Dick is very close to his mom.Cherry Pie became part of Pa-Siyam because of the talk we had when I told her about the first project, the one about two people separating. But we also had to talk to her manager Ed Instrella; we pitched to him the entire movie. Yul Ð IÕve always wanted to work with him. We sold the idea to YulÕs manager Maryo J. delos Reyes who let Yul do the project for us. Pa-Siyam is seen as an ensemble movie. There are no bigger roles. All the characters are equally important. TheyÕre working together for one goal. IMPROVISATION ON THE SETItÕs a very story-driven horror movie. ItÕs all improv sa set. Everyone helped each other develop the outcome of the scene. This movie could not have been done if we did not deal with good actors.IÕve never done a movie in nine days. With the short shooting period, I had to device a way to fast track shooting so i can do a lot of scenes in a day. Since our HD camera comes with a steadicam package, I decided to shoot most of the scenes in one long shot. And on HD, dahil tape lang siya, I can shoot ten minute sequences with no cuts. Except of course on the horror sequences where it needed more camera coverages. That's why I wanted a cast na magaling. Walang tanga or bopol. Otherwise, if i shoot with an ensemble cast and there is one actor that's not good, I'll constantly be retaking long takes and that poses a problem with the tight shooting schedule. And somehow, inspired din ang mga actors namin sa set e kaya ang sarap ng shooting.This movie is not unreal or fantastic. ItÕs very grounded to real, human drama. The theme is very universal. ItÕs about family, taking care of parents and uncovering family secrets. Walang horror for horrorÕs sake; all the horror you see is tied up in the end to the horror story.A MOVIE THAT IS CLOSE TO MY HEARTAfter Mano Po 2, I swore that I will never make a movie that is not close to my heart. Pa-Siyam is very meaningful to me because itÕs a story that I decided to work on. It may not be autobiographical but it is a genre I'd like to try my hand on.I think the only way for the Filipino film industry to survive is to go global. There is no future if we continue to make films only for the Philippine market. Filipino filmmakers should be challenge to do movies without looking down on the audience which is what our major studios are constantly asking our filmmakers to do in their movies. They always presume that the audience will have to be spoon fed every information in the story. I love movies that interacts with the audience. That makes the audience think and feel alongside the movie as it unfolds in the movie screen. I really think that everybody should go global. If weÕre stuck in our own market, the market is simply too small and too Hollywood oriented for our stuff to make financially and critically. WeÕre not trying to come up with an experimental movie. I don't do art house movies. I want my movies to be enjoyed by as many people as possible. I don't want to do movies that only my mother can appreciate because she has to as a sensitive parent. With the million and 1 horror movies that has been done, we tried so much to come up with something fresh and original. We are offering the audience our ÔsmallÕ film. If the Filipino market embraces Pa-Siyam, it could be a start of a new wave of Filipino movies. In our own little way, we would like to bring the Filipino movies globally. Of course, if it appeals to everyone (which I am almost definite, it will)We are pleading, we are making a call to the audience. If youÕre sick and tired of seeing the same kind of Filipino movies, here is something new. * * * * * * *

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: PA SIYAM
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 12:43 PM »
Sounds really interesting. I'm surely gonna watch this.

I love reading a director's notes -- thanks for posting this Quark!

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 12:54 PM »
The poster looks so very creepy...... :o :o :o.....baka this is much better than Feng Shui....hey indie boi.... Kris Aquino is not in the cast..... ;D

thanks for posting Quark...... :)

Let's support this film if we really want good quality movies! Theatrical runs start on December 1. If we can afford dvds why not shell out P100 bucks for this flick?
« Last Edit: Nov 24, 2004 at 01:08 PM by keating »

Offline Quitacet

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 01:30 PM »
I became interested in this film after reading the Director's Notes. I was expecting it to be "just another " Asian horror flick. NOw I have a very good reason to watch this.

I just hope that When they release this in DVD, it would be AWS. Plus an interview with the director as a special feature would be great.

Offline quark

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 01:51 PM »
ei no prob! suddenly i miss pinoydvd and i only found out about the grand eb now. deamn! next time then  8) i'm excited to watch the movie as well.

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 03:57 PM »
Hmmm.. papanuurin ko siguro ito. I did watch Feng Shui. Although the movie was better than other Filipino scary movies I've seen, marami pa ring inconsistencies yung Feng Shui plus sana hindi na nila hinaluan ng side plot about Jay Manalo cheating - pampagulo lang..

Hopefully, this movie would be better...  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2004 at 07:14 PM »
Will the movie looks grainy because it was shot on HD? This is Erik Matti's first foray in horror genre.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2004 at 09:53 AM »
After Feng Shui comes another horror flick megged by Erik Matti .

Erik Matti?! Well good luck!!! talagang nakakatakot yan for sure!!!  ;D

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 01:07 PM »
Very promising. Will try to watch this if I can.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 01:12 PM »
The film opens next week already ahead of the coming MMFF. The cast looks promising Cherrie Pie Picache, Ana Capri, Yul Servo, Roderick Paulate.

Speaking of Roderick its been a long time since he act on the big screen except for those gay roles that he done in the past.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 01:13 PM »
Next week?! Oh siyet...

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 01:35 PM »
I didn't bother to catch FEng Shui on purpose. Should I bother with this one? ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: Nov 26, 2004 at 05:32 PM »
It's highly recommended by Quark RMN....so why not give it a try?  :)

Offline aikigrappler

• DVD Guru
  • irimi nage
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2004 at 07:52 AM »
Yon pala meaning ng Pa Siyam, 9 days of novena for the dead.Di ko alam yon. :) I didn't know there was a superstitious belief that if you don't embalm the body it comes back after nine days of novena.

Is this the movie in the news where several apparitions were caught on tape?
It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2004 at 10:15 PM »
When it comes to not embalming the dead.....Stephen King's PET SEMATARY comes to my mind but instead of people.....pets come back to haunt you.... :o

Not really sure elf if this is the movie in the news where several apparitions were seen....even the trailer I haven't seen it......man.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2004 at 10:17 PM by keating »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2004 at 09:50 AM »
Feng Shui started it all. Filipino horrors at this time. Trying to get even if other asian horrors. Thanks for the effort!!! I hope its another good horror film. (Pa Siyam)

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2004 at 10:00 AM »
Feng Shui started it all.

Horror films have been a staple since the '30s. There were Eddie Romero and Gerry de Leon's '60s Blood Island films and de Leon's Terror is a Man. But I suppose Feng Shui can be considered to have started a recent trend (tho what about Bahay ni Lola?)

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: Nov 30, 2004 at 10:25 AM »
You can trace the recent "trend" back to Spirit Warriors. About time, too. Pinoys seem to have, theoretically at least, a knack for the genre.  And it took us a good while to jump on the Asian Horror bandwagon. Horror shouldn't be a "trend", though. Several good ones every year 'til the end of the world is a healthy minimum. Maybe Rico Ilarde can get into the action.  Didn't much like Feng Shui, though. Had its  moments and much promise but little else. Pasiyam looks like it rocks, though. Seeing this one, for sure.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2004 at 12:40 PM »
The movie opens tomorrow.....I do hope it can find audience so that the horror genre which is missing for so long on the silver screen will continue to flourish.

We only have a handful of horror flicks.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2004 at 12:41 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2004 at 01:59 PM »
Well, we can't beat the Japanese or Koreans for creep and subtlety; and unless Eddie Romero starts working again, we can't beat them--or the Americans--for gore. Spirit Warrior's blend of fantasy and comedy might be our best bet, particularly the mix Rono achieved in Spirit Warriors 2. That movie I liked.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 07:54 AM »
I'm not familiar Noel regarding Eddie Romero's films in horror genre except for Kamakalawa which I think blends fantasy and adventure......

The horror genre was revived after Regal Films cashed on the Shake Rattle and Roll series after the hugely succesful TIYANAK.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2004 at 07:56 AM by keating »

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 02:16 PM »
Well, we can't beat the Japanese or Koreans for creep and subtlety

You think this sensibility is ingrained in the Japs/Koreans, Noel, or are our horror filmmakers just not trying or aiming for it? I used to think that Pinoys are, by nature , hysterical and hyperbolic and I agree that Jap imagination is far more warped than ours will be, but isn't the slow burn creepiness a trope we can adopt?  Or do the producers veto such approaches , even despite the success of  Asian horror here?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 02:28 PM »
I think it's partly a cultural thing, X. We're an emotionally simple people, with a very short written history and much influencing by the Spaniards (who aren't known for being reserved) and Americans, among others. We like extremes.

That said, we do have filmmakers who can match the Japanese, if they so choose--Raymond Red, Lav Diaz, Mike de Leon (who's done a few films that can arguably be called horror). In fact, Nakata trained here in the Philippines, and I've always maintained that Itim influenced his Ringu.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 02:42 PM »
I was thinking of Itim actually as a prime example - - -and I did hear about Nakata training here, and working on Itim itself if I'm not mistaken. Don't really know how the audiences back then reacted to its subtlety, though. Far as I remember, I've never seen it repeated locally , least not in the horror genre.

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 03:02 PM »
Patayin sa Sindak si Barbara was also a subtle approach to horror -- from what little I can remember (I really need to watch that film again). I do agree though that the taut suspense of De Leon's Itim has never been repeated.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 03:15 PM »
Patayin sa Sindak si Barbara was also a subtle approach to horror -- from what little I can remember (I really need to watch that film again). I do agree though that the taut suspense of De Leon's Itim has never been repeated.

There's the creepy suspense feeling in ITIM whenever I watched it and I can't describe that feeling the first time I watched it.....you can actually smell the creepiness of Mike De Leon in that flick.

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 04:40 PM »
sir keating would you know why this film was not released as part of the film festival sa  holiday season? This would've been a contender...  ???

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 05:11 PM »
Pa-Siyam - Erik Matti

Matti's most recent film after the highly enjoyable Spider-man spoof Gagamboy is Pa-Siyam, a rather uneven yet still interesting atmospheric horror effort. After the death of their mother who died in a state of insanity, her four children, who hasn't visited the ancestral house since their mother's loss of sanity, try to find out the real reason of their mother's death while remaining in the house for nine days, in accordance with the Filipino tradition of praying for the dead nine days straight after the death of the loved one. Familial mysteries are slowly revealed including previous scandals and the rather horrific treatment their mother have experienced in the house. Matti, who I think is more of a visual director rather than a narrative director, gropes with the material he is given. He struggles with this more complex narrative as compared to the whimsy playfulness of Gagamboy which is pretty much straightforward. Pa-Siyam is the second Filipino film that would incorporate the recent bandwagon of Asian horror films that rely on the audience's patience rather than their senses to generate scares. The first film, Feng Shui was quite unsuccessful because of a pitiful plot and a scare-generating tactic that is too lame and blatant for comfort. Pa-Siyam is a lot more atmospheric. The house, a rustic ancestral one, is used quite efficiently to provide for ample scares and chills. Whatever shock technique Matti uses does not feel cheap mainly because of J. A. Tadena (cinematographer)'s more creative visual eye, as compared to the plain and generic visuals of mainstream Feng Shui. The acting is considerably okay, with a few exceptions of greatness, and to a greater degree, mediocrity. Pa-Siyam is a welcome Filipino horror film as it is intelligent, seemingly genuine, and well-made. Tha story, although not really presented well and is sometimes boggled down by numerous scenes of revelation, is good enough for my tastes. ***/*****

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: Dec 01, 2004 at 10:24 PM »
Spoilers alert......

The film is brilliant, terrifying and chilling. As a former protege of Peque Gallaga, Erik Matti's visuals are excellent throughout (he must have inherited/learned from the master filmmaker), nice movie shot on HD format. I have second thoughts whenever a movie is shot on this format but it looks perfect and blends well with the movie's cinematography and lighting. The craftmanship and technical aspects are all outstanding and polished.

I like the opening scene where Roderick Paulate arrives at the house.....the eerie atmosphere where you can experience from beginning to end..... which Feng Shui lacks......and the long lush close-ups of the other cast whenever a scary part will happen. I left the theater with the background musical score still haunting me...and surprise applause were heard inside the cinema in Sm North Edsa before the closing credits which only means that Filipino audience are improving finally.......!

The plot is more excellent than Feng Shui and the only flaw I think IMO is the monologue by the ispiritista which I found dragging narrating the reason why the old woman haunts her own children and the past that happened.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2004 at 08:21 AM by keating »