Author Topic: PA SIYAM  (Read 24480 times)

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PA SIYAM
« Reply #30 on: Dec 02, 2004 at 08:12 AM »
sir keating would you know why this film was not released as part of the film festival sa  holiday season? This would've been a contender...  ???

This will not be a contender jeckjeck since MMFF now is called the FESTIVAL OF IDIOTS or PESTE BAL.  ;D

Offline wedge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Dec 02, 2004 at 03:54 PM »
I think it's partly a cultural thing, X. We're an emotionally simple people, with a very short written history and much influencing by the Spaniards (who aren't known for being reserved) and Americans, among others. We like extremes.

That said, we do have filmmakers who can match the Japanese, if they so choose--Raymond Red, Lav Diaz, Mike de Leon (who's done a few films that can arguably be called horror). In fact, Nakata trained here in the Philippines, and I've always maintained that Itim influenced his Ringu.

Hm, how extreme can we get, Noel? More of Miike or Kim Ki-duk?

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Dec 02, 2004 at 04:16 PM »
Pa Siyam has the advantage compared to the films that are included in MMFF. Movie goers or avid filipino viewers will see the film for sure. Walang kaagaw ang Pa Siyam or walang kasabay gasino sa week ng film showing. That's the advantage of films that are not included in MMFF. Kaya naman madami naman ang nanonood ng mga films sa MMFF kasi "no choice" na ang mga movie goers. I rather see Pa Siyam this week. Then 2046 by Wong Kar Wai next week?! Kung ipapalabas na siya sa Dec. 8.  :D

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #33 on: Dec 02, 2004 at 04:35 PM »

Hm, how extreme can we get, Noel? More of Miike or Kim Ki-duk?

Maybe not as explicit as that, but you'd be surprised how close we can get. Gallaga came pretty close with Oro, Plata, Mata; O'Hara was sexually explicit (tho that's the producer's doing) in Bed Sins. What else--I don't think Miike's done anything like the climax of Scorpio Nights yet. We were pretty extreme in the  '80s.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Dec 03, 2004 at 09:19 AM »
Well, we can't beat the Japanese or Koreans for creep and subtlety; and unless Eddie Romero starts working again

Cheesy B-movies and not creep movies this Romero dude does.. its a laughing matter how he stars john ashley in his films

Meroon pala na-kicreepan sa romero flicks...  ;D
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: Dec 03, 2004 at 01:46 PM »

Cheesy B-movies and not creep movies this Romero dude does.. its a laughing matter how he stars john ashley in his films

Meroon pala na-kicreepan sa romero flicks...  ;D

C'mon, spread your cheeks wider!
« Last Edit: Dec 03, 2004 at 01:47 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2004 at 11:05 AM »
Saw this again last night with some friends... I liked it even more.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Dec 05, 2004 at 11:37 AM »
What do you think oggs the flaw of the movie? The improvisational acting was good but I found the woman's monologue so long and dragging. The flashback scene could have been inserted there instead of that monologue.

But on over all aspects the film is eerie from the first opening scene to the final shot of the movie.

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Dec 05, 2004 at 12:22 PM »
What do you think oggs the flaw of the movie? The improvisational acting was good but I found the woman's monologue so long and dragging. The flashback scene could have been inserted there instead of that monologue.

Did you mean the espiritista, keating?

Ako naman, I agree it was kind of dragging at first but as soon as I got into its rhythm , I kind of liked that whole long scene. It's one of my favorite scenes from the movie, in fact.  The monotonous gibberish was actually crucial bits of information about the characters, which was ultimately what the whole movie turned out to be about, but by having it all expressed in almost confused fragments with no visual aid, they seemed darker, more ambiguous and mysterious - - -the burial of the cat, the sex between the younger brother and the maid's daughter, the well with the babies, the carving of the name on the tree, the black wedding. I found myself concentrating more and doing a lot of imagining in my head. The flashbacks near the end, showing what the dead mother went through before she died, were interesting visually but sort of took away from what I was imagining happened to her, based on the first few nights', um, events.

If we must compare. .  .Feng Shui seems less of an Asian Horror clone than it is  a Shyamalan Knockoff Clone and delights is laying out every single plot strand for the audience to nibble on, which is probably why it went over well. Most people don't relish ambiguity and don't really like to mull things opver. Pasiyam is more Asian in its restraint, in its embrace of the slow burn, and very Val Lewton in the way it relies on suggestion more than actually showing everything, which is what Americans are so so fond of. That espiritista monologue is one example. Another is that almost incidental (though I don't think it is) shot of Roderick's back which tells you but doesn't really tell you something about his backstory.

It also hurdles  the fatal mistake every so-so horror movie commits (including Feng Shui and Joey Reyes' unremittingly dull Malikmata) , there's something else going on between  and besides the scares. And there's a lot going on in this one, some of which- - - like what was his mother's beef with Roderick's character  (liked his Blair Witch scene near the end , where he "talks" to the ghost) - - - are even more interesting than the ghost story.

I liked it. Visually, it's wonderful. And that house was a godsend. Man, what a terrific location. It's practically a character in itself, which is how it should be with gothic horror movies.

What I didn't much like was the ending. SPOILER WARNING

The ghost talking (and the so-so makeup) just took away from it being scary and the revelation , because of the gimmicy twist upon twist that preceded it, didn't feel revelatory anymore. And it felt severely truncated. Like it should've gone on for at least another ten minutes.

SPOILER WARNING

But the  set piece near the climax, that eighth(?) night where every one of them gets haunted, that was scary and beautiful.

« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2004 at 12:24 PM by X44 »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Dec 05, 2004 at 02:08 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly with X44's comment...

At first, I found the espiritista's longwinded exposition offputting, but upon second viewing, I was amazed by how Matti masterfully put into screen what could've been a major drag. The long takes, enunciated by the excellent musical score (I'm pretty much biased since it is my friend who did the musical score) pretty much turned the scene from pitiful to powerful.

That eight night was very very very good... it didn't scare in a way that we all anticipate (you know, shocks and jolts) but it certainly creeps... The house is also one of the better used locations I've seen in Philippine cinema... While most directors would just rent any house (probably a mansion or a shanty or whatever), the house in Pa-Siyam pretty much sums up the whole horror factor of the film.

I thought Roderick Paulate was a miscast... but he does well.  The acting overall, was quite good (even Aubrey Miles who I think carried her scenes well).

Keating, I think the major flaw of the film is that it has too many expositions. The espiritista's character is also too easy and unmotivated (conscience? give me a break... that espiritista only appeared in the family's life after the mother's death so why so concerned?). Also, I think the audience thinks faster than the film moves. In the end, I've already figured everything out and the film is only 75% done.

However, all those are forgivable... mainly because of that beautiful ending, again highly improved by that beautiful choral requiem chant (composed by Von de Guzman, who deserves more breaks than composing for the Mano Po series). Come to think of it, I think Filipino filmmakers are finally breaking out of the tradition of providing safe endings (especially after seeing this and Minsan Pa).

Also, after the hilarious Gagamboy and this, I think Erik Matti is developing quite well...

Offline X44

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Dec 05, 2004 at 03:28 PM »
Keating, I think the major flaw of the film is that it has too many expositions. The espiritista's character is also too easy and unmotivated (conscience? give me a break... that espiritista only appeared in the family's life after the mother's death so why so concerned?).

It's a nit on my part, of course, but I agree. There also seemed to be something rich and untapped about the espiritista character. Much as I liked her monologue, I couldn't help feeling she was some kind of deus ex machina, that perennial horror movie trope of the convenient occultist friend/stranger/neighbor who wanders in and lays down the law- - - much like the Ilonah Jean character in Feng Shui.  She very well might be, Matti just did a good  job of tweaking her a bit. But, it would've been wonderfully insane if she had more to do with the evil goings-on or something as wild.

However, all those are forgivable... mainly because of that beautiful ending, again highly improved by that beautiful choral requiem chant (composed by Von de Guzman, who deserves more breaks than composing for the Mano Po series). Come to think of it, I think Filipino filmmakers are finally breaking out of the tradition of providing safe endings (especially after seeing this and Minsan Pa).

My beef with the revelation scene near the end notwithstanding, that final frame before the fade out I quite liked. Often , horror movies (American and Filipino specially) wrap everything up in a neat little bow. The horror is often of an interloper nature that gets quelled near the end and the status quo is restored. This isn't one of those. The horror may well be over , but at a price, and everybody is permanently scarred.  And we're not given room to breathe after. The movie just ends. Neat.

The most vocal reaction I heard when I watched it at SM Megamall was a violent  "Walang kwenta." , which makes me think that whenever we say the reason  Filipino films are bad is the audience, maybe, just maybe, we're not underestimating the audience at all.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2004 at 03:31 PM by X44 »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Dec 05, 2004 at 04:34 PM »
Thanks for all the inputs X44, oggsmoggs. Yeah that monologue by the espiritista seems to be a lift from a stage or a theatrical performance that I found dragging. I'll watch again the film tomorrow together with my colleagues from the office so that I can appreciate it even more.

The house itself was a revelation! Beautifully shot and photographed! The moment I saw the opening scene of Roderick Paulate in long tracking shot going inside the house I knew it! I'm really in for a very nice treat and PA SIYAM did justice for that!!!

I cant say even more X.....that character of the espiritista was some kind of deus ex machina just like Angie Ferro's character in Chito Rono's bland remake of Patayin sa Sindak si Barbara and I wholeheartedly  agree with you about this. Same with Ilonah Jean's character in FENG SHUI.

Agree with oggs regarding the ending and the apperance finally of the dead mother its beautiful, haunting powered by that musical score! When the old woman saw Jaime Fabregas a spine chilling came over me just like when my late father make paramdam a few days ago.

And oh my cousin who is a long time movie buff..finally told me.....PA SIYAM can now match Celso Ad castillo's original PATAYIN SA SINDAK SI BARBARA.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2004 at 08:49 PM by keating »

Offline Swiss Knife

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 08:40 AM »
It was a good film but I must admit that I liked Feng Shui better.  The first few scenes were kind of dragging but Roderick's opening scene really got to me.  The setting would really give you the creeps as well as the musical score.  There is a lesson learned from this film.  Its a must see for those who have left their parents behind.   :) 

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 12:08 PM »
What could be the significance of the book or is it the Bible that Roderick always hold before and after going to sleep in his room?

The old house I think was shot on location in Pampanga.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 12:14 PM »
What could be the significance of the book or is it the Bible that Roderick always hold before and after going to sleep in his room?

I think the bible's major purpose was so that it won't look implausible for Paulate's character to immediately recognize the bible quote written in the walls.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 12:20 PM »

I think the bible's major purpose was so that it won't look implausible for Paulate's character to immediately recognize the bible quote written in the walls.

Thanks oggs.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 01:52 PM »
Dang...

From what I've read in your posts guys, I think this film's good (I'll consider `great' to be the next best adjective to good).

Sigh. Do you know when's the dvd or the vcd coming out? hehe ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 03:56 PM »
Just wait wedge maybe this film will make rounds of festival in the U.S. and if not, I'll send a dvd for you.  ;)
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2004 at 04:00 PM by keating »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 09:31 PM »
Finally just saw Pa Siyam. I remember Erik Matti's favorite movie is Rosemary's Baby by Roman Polanski. A classic horror. The film is long. At first i did not like it because its dragging. But the film is a character build up. So does Pa Siyam. Not like other asian horrors that are fast pace story. Scare on your seats all through out the film. from the title itself Pa Siyam, the scene was done through out the luksa or during the 9 days of death. Most of the film is dark, It was done inside the old house. There are some errors in the film. One is the continuity of the scene when Rodderick talks to Aubrey Miles on the bed. The kumot naka balot sa katawan ni Aubrey, hanggang leeg. You'll notice that pag naka tapat yung shot kay Rodderick. On the reverse angle same scene also if you'll notice nakababa na. And i dont like the acting of espiritista, over acting sa pagkakakwento ng nangyari sa buhay ng namatay. And nung tinatawag niya yung kaluluwa ng namatay para makausap. My God over acting pa din. Its very obvious naman na yung mga anak ang may kasalanan ng lahat kaya namatay yung nanay nila. Bakit kailangan gumanti. Remember Rodderick is all alone the room asking his mom. Na bakit siya kailangan mag malupit sa kanya. Maybe siguro kaya pinabayaan. And i dont like when their talks to her children, Nakipagusap ng matagal na parang hindi multo. Parang buhay, And kailangan pa niya kunin si Aubrey Miles?! Ang masasabi ko lang sa Nanay nila na namatay. She is selfish!!! busy lang siguro yung mga anak niya kaya siya pinabayaan. And kasalanan ba ng mga anak yun? Di pa din siguro. Me nagaalaga pa naman kaya lang para nga lang binaboy bago namatay. And remember, Di ba nabaliw yung nanay? Hanggang sa Pagkamatay at Pagmumulto. BALIW PA DIN YUNG INA!!! Okey sana yung concept pero ayoko yung paghihiganti ng multo. Parang napaka babaw.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2004 at 09:33 PM by llanesmark777 »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 09:35 PM »

If im not mistaken the house is famillar. Its located in San Juan. Sorry Keating di ko nagustuhan yung film.

Offline wedge

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Scott me up, beamie!
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Dec 06, 2004 at 09:39 PM »
Oh. So now, it's got mixed reviews. As I've said before, films are acquired taste. The only thing different is how you put your tongue in it.

Still, will find a way to see it.

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: Dec 07, 2004 at 12:53 AM »
Spoilers...

I love this film a lot and I think it does not resemble any of the Asian horror films today. There are two things that stood out in the film--the house and the ending. Grabe--I never thought a Filipino would dare end his film that way. It was very effective. Medyo kabisado ko na yung bahay dahil maayos talaga ang pagkak-shoot sa kanya.

Two items in the film that I hated: Aubrey Miles and Yul Servo. I think a stunningly beautiful actress is not needed as Ruth. Medyo distracting ang boobs niya dahil nakatayo kahit nakahiga (it should be hard to notice for me because I am gay). At puwede bang maturuan si Yul kung paano ang madulas sa hagdan?--para lang siyang umupo kasi.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: Dec 07, 2004 at 08:22 AM »
Just saw it again for the second time around yesterday. And I liked it even more. It does not resemble any Jap horror flicks since only four people died in the movie. And I think Aubrey MIles is commendable here ditto with the ensemble cast headed by Roderick Paulate.

There maybe few loopholes and flaws in between but this is still a groundbreaking flick in the history of Philippine cinema.

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Dec 07, 2004 at 04:00 PM »
Keating ill just call you about this Pa Siyam matter.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Dec 07, 2004 at 04:51 PM »
I did find the whole concept troublesome at first. However, when you think about... it makes the picture even more interesting. Although it may look thematically incoherent at first, the whole mother vengeance theme of the film further explored areas in Filipino familial psychology. The ever present bond between mother and children, when does it really end? The whole psychological aspect of the film, although it could be confusing since it seems to be contradicting itself, is actually one source of excitement. I loved it how the children and the mother would be blaming each other for their respective fates, but in the end, they were still together... it's as if our Filipino culture of close family ties contradict the basic ideas of human psychology. Matti also gives an effort to explore the whole household help phenomenon in the Philippines. I mean, logic would only dictate to an already suffering family to leave the lunatic mom alone in the house since she's not even part of the family and the children do not give enough money for them to take care of her... but that whole "katulong" phenomenon somehow pushes the caretakers' family, probably out of pity, duty or loyalty to still take care of the mother, even if it is against their wishes... The contradicting themes of the story actually improve on the film. Some people may consider them loopholes, but for me, it's more of a realistic picture of these uniquely Filipino social phenomena.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Dec 07, 2004 at 07:09 PM »
In short oggs, the film is Pinoy na Pinoy. The custom of praying for the dead for nine days after the burial is one of our cultural phenomenon.

I wish that the dead mother was seen in the coffin as Paulate approches their house. It would be more creepy. I thought at first no people were paying respect to the dead person on that opening scene.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2004 at 07:44 PM by keating »

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Dec 09, 2004 at 02:20 PM »
Family values a care for your mom or any part of your family is important on this film. I think this is waht Pa Siyam is all about. But there still a lot of loopholes in the film. But in the theme of the story of Parent and children relationship?! Now i learned my lesson.

Offline xage

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Suspended
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Dec 10, 2004 at 03:35 AM »
Just wait wedge maybe this film will make rounds of festival in the U.S. and if not, I'll send a dvd for you.  ;)

I havent seen the film yet.. but from the manner he posted it.. "maybe"?

well on my end .. I see it as another go down the drain of forgetness after a few months..
[img width=163 height=49]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/x

Offline Phobos

• Konsehal
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Forum Nazi
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Dec 10, 2004 at 03:14 PM »
well on my end .. I see it as another go down the drain of forgetness after a few months..

xage:

Although we encourage everyone to post their own opinions on whatever topics they may feel strongly about, I'm going have to step in at this point before this thing gets out of hand again. In light of recent events, I would like to ask you to refrain from posting your opinions or speculations regarding Filipino films, at least for those that you haven't actually seen.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2004 at 03:15 PM by Phobos »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Dec 10, 2004 at 03:22 PM »
Thanks, phobos. Appreciate your sanity.