Author Topic: PA SIYAM  (Read 24565 times)

Offline llanesmark777

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PA SIYAM
« Reply #60 on: Dec 12, 2004 at 04:31 PM »

I havent seen the film yet.. but from the manner he posted it.. "maybe"?

well on my end .. I see it as another go down the drain of forgetness after a few months..

In addition for the record xage. forget what to send dvd of Pa Siyam on Wedge? I don't think so Keating and Wedge, Reauven Malter and I were good friends. We share what we have. Not pirated!!!

Offline RitchieNolasco

• Collector
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #61 on: Dec 22, 2004 at 04:13 PM »
Pa Siyam is good, just watched it yesterday. It's not perfect though, but nobody can really expect a perfect film. I'm just surprised how direk Erik Matti told the story and scared the audience. Definitely, this is a much better movie than the garbage that is Mano Po 2: My Home.

Now if only the bitch Aubrey Miles could get kicked out to orbit from the movie. I hope she lands face first on the moon. Hahaha!

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: Sep 05, 2005 at 07:11 PM »
The vcd is out already, one of the most underrated flicks in Philippine Cinema. Watch it and give it a try. The visuals of Matti are well-done and the ensemble acting is good.
« Last Edit: Sep 05, 2005 at 07:13 PM by keating »

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #63 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 09:21 AM »
i just saw Pa Siyam on dvd. this is actually the only Pinoy horror film that me gave me goosebumps. the movie is way better than Feng Shui and a couple of notches higher than Sigaw. i was impressed with Roderick Paulate's acting in the film... the camera work by JA Tadena was impressive and the music by Von de Guzman gave me chills. not to give anything away, i was blown away by the flashback on what really happened to the mother near the end of the film. i was amazed. theis is truly one of Erik Matti's better films alongside Prosti.

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #64 on: Sep 10, 2005 at 11:39 PM »
How is the quality of the DVD? Does it have special features?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: Sep 11, 2005 at 01:52 AM »
the quality i guess is much better than the vcd... as for special features unfortunately it has none, only trailers to future regal video releases. i wish Erik Matti recorded a commentary track just like in the Mano Po 2 dvd... it would've been more interesting listening to his thoughts in making Pa Siyam.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #66 on: Sep 17, 2005 at 12:47 PM »
Well, well, well, well, well...this was actually good.

I wonder what happened. Is it that for his umpteenth production Matti actually hunkered down and tried to tell a story properly? Or is it that he takes horror more seriously? Or that the genre doesn't short-circuit his instincts as much as sex does, so that he doesn't attempt anything ridiculous the way he does in his sex movies? Or is it that the writer Dwight Gaston ironed out the screenplay, made it proceed logically and coherently, and made each character actually come alive, with recognizably human and reasonable motivations (I remember Ekis with its moronic kidnap gang, and Prosti with its fantasyland whorehouse)?

Matti's style is chaste here--he doesn't go for the San Miguel beer commercial look, he doesn't splash the screen with colors. Mood is understated, and, ohmigod, the man uses silence to enhance the tension! He's actually learned something!

And the story actually develops! It comes to a point! And the point itself actually adds to the horror!

Would like to pause here and say I'm glad Roderick Paulate finally got a vehicle worthy enough (somewhat) to showcase his talent. He's always been an excellent actor, often appearing in less-than-excellent productions. If this was a hit, and if it helped Paulate's career, he only deserves it, and much more. Also, Yul seems to be developing, little by little, growing out of the probinsyano persona he developed in Batang West Side and Laman.

It's not perfect (SPOILERS). The waking up in the morning to find something nasty on one's bedsheets started to get old, about halfway in. You wonder: what on earth was the point of bringing Jaime Fabregas into the picture, and whether or not the mother blames him too (And if so, why? He has no control over her life)? You also wonder: what was the point of revealing she has a loveless marriage if nothing was going to come out of it? Worst of all, you think--is that it? They get a rap on their knuckles, and can leave peacefully forever (the ending, incidentally, reduces all the carefully built characters into mere spectators)? Sans one of them, of course, but after years of suffering, you'd think she'd maybe trap them in the house and give them the same spa-treatment-from-hell that she received as well. Ah well.

And small complaint: if that's what it's all about, shouldn't they not say that's what it might be all about? The subject pops up in conversation early in the picture, so the revelation becomes less of a surprise.

(END SPOILERS)

One of the better recent horror films (I'm actually using the term film! On a Matti picture!), Filipino and otherwise, to come out, and one of the better Filipino films I've seen recently (not that I've seen all that many...), and easily the best Matti I've ever seen (actually the first Matti I've actually liked).

Miracles, do happen, after all.

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2005 at 12:57 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: Sep 18, 2005 at 09:43 AM »
I'm glad you liked it, Noel... True, one of the better horror films that came out recently. What do you think about Yam Laranas' Sigaw?

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: Sep 18, 2005 at 10:17 AM »
Haven't seen it. Yam did that Richard Gomez-Regine Velasquez romantic comedy from a Mel Mendoza script, didn't he? Then he's done something decent too...

Offline dorian_gray

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • DVD Guru
  • Bakla ako...may angal?
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: Sep 18, 2005 at 11:56 PM »
I saw this on Cinema One and it is widescreen. I guess the DVD is also WS.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: Sep 19, 2005 at 12:44 AM »
I saw this on Cinema One and it is widescreen. I guess the DVD is also WS.

the dvd is also widescreen... unfortunately it lacked the 5.1 Dolby Digital Audio which was included in the dvd of Sigaw.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: Sep 19, 2005 at 05:43 PM »
Unfortunately it didn't last 9 days on the theatres when it came out, Noel. Paulate showed his talent here aside from his comic ability on those gender-bender films that comprise his filmography starting from HIGH SCHOOL CIRCA 65.

The improvisational acting helped in the over-all aspect of the film plus the eerily to the closing credits musical score by Von de Guzman.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2005 at 05:44 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: Oct 03, 2005 at 10:48 AM »
It's not a great horror film--I don't think it measures up to Gerry de Leon's eerie Terror is a Man or his Blood of a Vampire (which have de Leon's inimitable visual style) or O'Hara's Halimaw sa Banga (which has a more interesting dramatic story, involving better-realized characters), or even Bernal's Pridyider (which is that rarity, comic horror), or Mike de Leon's well-done Itim or great Kisapmata (if you can call Kisapmata horror--but I do). It'll do till something better comes along.
« Last Edit: Oct 03, 2005 at 10:51 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: Oct 04, 2005 at 05:56 PM »
I still have to see those Gerry de Leon's horror flicks. PRIDYIDER is a cult classic, ITIM combines horror and madness right before your very eyes, psychological horror that grows in you. Agree with O'hara's HALIMAW SA BANGA, its more highly effective and character driven than Gallaga's TIYANAK.
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2005 at 06:08 PM by keating »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #74 on: Oct 04, 2005 at 11:46 PM »
I don't look for what's scary anymore--scary you can do with shock cuts and some very loud THX speakers. What I look for in horror is a good story and characters that are maintained within the framework of the conventions of horror, coupled hopefully with something more--a sense of the innate beauty of horror, the poetry of perversion. That way you're not scared or maybe not even startled per se, but you do bring something away with you.

Like a visit to the whorehouse--it stays inside you, festering. ;D
« Last Edit: Oct 04, 2005 at 11:51 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #75 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 01:22 AM »
I cant seem to find any dvd copy of this at stores... does anyone know where I can get one?

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: Oct 05, 2005 at 06:31 AM »
I cant seem to find any dvd copy of this at stores... does anyone know where I can get one?

try ordering at www.regalfilms.com

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 03:54 AM »
i believe that this would be work better as a psychogical horror thriller than a pure horror movie. in the first place, who would be scared with a dead relative esp your own mother? but then, in the end's twist, twas heart wrenching and psychologically disturbing!

http://itsallaboutmovies.blogspot.com/2005/09/on-video-pa-siyam-rp-2004.html
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #78 on: Oct 24, 2005 at 06:03 AM »
I don't care if I had sex with her, if she died and is still talking to me, I'd be plenty unsettled.

Hey--that sounds like a sequel... ;D

Offline demented_angel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Guru
  • i'm wishing on a star, to follow where you are...
  • Liked:
« Reply #79 on: Oct 26, 2005 at 04:19 PM »
i watched unang hirit earlier and they said that they will be doing a hollywood version of this film...they were quite impressed with the movie and it even won best in musical direction in the awards

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #80 on: Oct 26, 2005 at 04:23 PM »
Finally got myself a dvd of this... Found it at Astro Festival Mall for P450... Timing for Halloween  ;D

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: Oct 26, 2005 at 04:27 PM »
Is it barebone, jeckjeck?  ???

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #82 on: Oct 26, 2005 at 04:35 PM »
will check it out later sa house sir... nothing is stated at the back as far as features go... there are pics and the short write up but no features...

weird lang because the dvd has a bar code complete with UPC... it also has Regal's US address aside from it's Philippine address... may FBI Warning pa...  ???

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: Oct 26, 2005 at 04:39 PM »
Thanks, man.

Offline jeckjeck

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: Oct 26, 2005 at 11:26 PM »
here are the scanned front and back images of the actual dvd, keating...

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: Oct 27, 2005 at 12:15 AM »
i watched unang hirit earlier and they said that they will be doing a hollywood version of this film...they were quite impressed with the movie and it even won best in musical direction in the awards

Pa-Siyam ba ang nanalo? Ang sabi naman sa news sa ch2, galing daw sa Sigaw ung musical scoring?
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline demented_angel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Guru
  • i'm wishing on a star, to follow where you are...
  • Liked:
« Reply #86 on: Oct 27, 2005 at 07:11 AM »
Pa-Siyam ba ang nanalo? Ang sabi naman sa news sa ch2, galing daw sa Sigaw ung musical scoring?

awww, im sorry SIGAW won best in musical score and they will be doing a hollywood version of the film, sorry bout that :-\ :-\ :-\, wrong thread....may "S" kasi ang pa siyam...whahaha!  ;D

Offline indie boi

• Kapitan
  • Trade Count: (+31)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Twitter: @indieboi
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: Oct 27, 2005 at 08:37 AM »
It will be hard to make a hollywood version of Pa-siyam because the concept of the nine-day mourning period is only endemic to traditionally catholic countries. The exposition to explain the concept may take quite a while and even then most US viewers may still not get it -- they're not one for subtleties and nuances. For us just mention the word "Pa-siyam" and it already evokes a feeling of loss, sadness and, at least for me since I was a kid - a supernatural foreboding. Translate the title to Nine Days and the hillbilly US audience may think the movie is just 9 1/2 Weeks for those who ejaculate prematurely. 

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: Oct 27, 2005 at 08:48 AM »
They may also think 9 days of Midnight Mass culminating on Christmas Eve. But come to think of it, its a fleeting moment that Hollywood will have their own version of PA SIYAM.

Offline marj

• Collector
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: Oct 31, 2005 at 04:29 AM »
According to the CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA, a novena is a term for "continuous praying of a formula for personal devotion, either on nine consecutive days or once a week for nine weeks".  Pa-siyam, as we know it, is actually a novena for the dead.  The midnight masses from December 16 to 24 compose the Christmas novena.