Author Topic: PA SIYAM  (Read 24571 times)

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: PA SIYAM
« Reply #90 on: Nov 02, 2005 at 02:05 AM »
finally got to watch this on dvd... Overall I liked the movie. It is a whole lot better than Feng Shui. I liked the acting by most of the cast - the acting was very natural. It also set a very creepy atmosphere. The film had dull muted colors bordering on sepia which really contributed to the dark mood. The story itself was very good. It was very easy to relate to and understand. I did mention in an other thread that I liked 75% of the movie. The 25% I didn't really like was made up of:

1) the anti-climactic ending - When the mom appeared and started talking to them, the movie lost the eeriness it built up. It was excessive spoon feeding to explain all the events which the espritista already narrated. Also, if she was out for revenge, why take Aubrey Miles's character which was the only child she really loved? Didn't really add up.

2) the esperitista - Her acting was overly theatrical as compared to the rest of the cast. I am willing to bet the actress who portrayed her has a lot of stage experience.

3) the miscasting of Aubrey Miles - Casting Aubrey Miles as a retarded/mentally-challenged person was a major dumb ass decision. I mean who would believe that she is retarded when she has immaculately plucked eyebrows, perfectly lipsticked lips, and breasts that were obviously surgically enhanced? I mean, if they needed someone beautiful to play Ruth, at least "unpretty" her down a bit for the role. Her acting did not help as she played being retarded by the numbers.

BUT even with the 25%, I still really enjoyed  the movie with my wife. The PQ was good (8/10) and the SQ was also okay but I wish they gave it a 5.1 Audio treatment rather than just a Dolby 2.0 (7/10). 
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2005 at 02:08 AM by jeckjeck »

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #91 on: Nov 02, 2005 at 01:27 PM »
Nice, nice observations jeckjeck. Even the ending boggs down when the mother appeared to her children. Much better if she didn't appeared so that the suspense will continue to build up till the finale. The esperitista's monologue holds the key to the film's secrets but still a little bit dragging.
« Last Edit: Nov 02, 2005 at 01:30 PM by keating »

Offline jeckjeck

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Hi! I'm Jose Iñigo!!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #92 on: Nov 02, 2005 at 01:34 PM »
Nice, nice observations jeckjeck. Even the ending boggs down when the mother appeared to her children. Much better if she didn't appeared so that the suspense will continue to build up till the finale. The esperitista's monologue holds the key to the film's secrets but still a little bit dragging.

thanks Ron... even the death of the caretaker's family wasn't really maximized after it was revealed... maybe they should've just left one of them alive to fully confess their cruelty rather than have a very solid looking unscary spirit do it...

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #93 on: Nov 03, 2005 at 05:17 PM »
The ensemble cast was good, man. And Aubrey showed some good performance also. The music at the end of the film still haunt me till now just like in Mike de Leon's ITIM.

Offline X44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Stupidity is a heinous crime.
  • Liked:
« Reply #94 on: Nov 18, 2005 at 12:05 PM »
1) the anti-climactic ending - When the mom appeared and started talking to them, the movie lost the eeriness it built up. It was excessive spoon feeding to explain all the events which the espritista already narrated. Also, if she was out for revenge, why take Aubrey Miles's character which was the only child she really loved? Didn't really add up.

My only nit with the movie, too. I don't know it this was a kowtow to spoonfeeding the audience or a lapse of . . . ehem . . . judgment on Erik Matti's part.

Otherwise, cool movie.

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #95 on: Aug 02, 2006 at 05:15 PM »
pa-heads up po kung saan merong Pa-Siyam DVD?

Ihanks in advance, only seen vcd copies of this.  :)

Offline riverfan

• DVD Addict
  • Liked:
« Reply #96 on: Oct 02, 2006 at 08:41 AM »
Finally bought a copy at astro southmall. havent seen yet.  ;D

maybe later,