Author Topic: PINOY MOVIES YOU'VE JUST SEEN.  (Read 19288 times)

Offline jdv1229

• Trade Count: (0)
  • DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: PINOY MOVIES YOU'VE JUST SEEN.
« Reply #30 on: Oct 22, 2005 at 10:52 PM »
i also think Brocka's Tubog Sa Ginto was one of those films that showed the inner feelings and desires of a closeted homosexual played by Eddie Garcial in probably one of his finest screen portrayals.

Offline keating

• Trade Count: (+77)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: Oct 26, 2005 at 04:45 PM »
SIGAW

Technically outstanding piece of work from Yam Laranas. Nice visual ride also, although imitated those countless Japanese horror flicks that we have already seen. Its getting all the raves in the U.S. and I'm glad about it. Check it out!

SALAWAHAN

This is perhaps the best comedy ever done by the late Ishmael Bernal. The battle of the sexes told efficiently in a provocative, truthful, honest and straight forward. The ensemble cast of Rio Locsin, Jay Ilagan, Mat Ranillo III and Ms. Rita Gomez are all good. Witty that you can always expect from a Bernal flick. Man, I miss this kind of movies. They don't do like this anymore.
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2005 at 05:08 PM by keating »

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: Oct 27, 2005 at 01:15 AM »
Gil Portes should stop making films, he actually should've stopped right after Mga Munting Tinig... and I thought he couldn't do worse than Homecoming.

I think so, too!  I don't know what the so-called critics see in Gil Portes's works when I feel that most of them were badly done (most of which were because of the faulty script)!  Even "Munting Tinig" for me wasn't that good.  If he wouldn't stop, at least re-think his works.  Most of the times, I believe, that he'd be so enthused with the "topic" of his films that he forgets to focus on its quality.
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline jekoy

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • DVD Addict
  • Movielandia
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: Oct 27, 2005 at 01:18 AM »
I saw Masahista as well. There were so much hype about the award that it received but I felt that it didn't live up to what I expect it to be.  It was good but it could have been better.  But then again. remembering the words of the late Lino Brocka (taken from the Bonus feature of Macho Dancer dvd), who are we to say what the directors had to do about their movies?  ???

Still, I'm proud that it won internationally!
Absolutely no regrets!

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: Oct 29, 2005 at 01:18 AM »

Bayani - Raymond Red

Raymond Red is one of the Philippines' most underappreciated director, mainly because his medium of choice is the short film. Having won a Palme d'Or for his brilliant short Anino, he has already established a steady reputation internationally, even though most of his countrymen only know him by name, but probably have never seen and appreciated his films. Red's first feature film Bayani was made possible with the backing of German producers. Bayani (the nearest English translation is Patriot) is a cinematic retelling of the crusade of Filipino revolutionary leader Andres Bonifacio (Julio Diaz) which tragically ended when he was executed as a traitor by his own countrymen. The film is narrated by an unknown revolutionary soldier who witnessed the execution. Interestingly, the narration is quite historically accurate and is told as objectively as possible. However, while the narration is objective and can be dull as a blatant history lesson, Red (with the help of co-cinematographer Yam Laranas) visualizes the film with poetic flair. Red spends much time with dream sequences, and carefully captures Bonifacio's facial gestures and features while the narrator objectively talks about what is happening in the historic world. It is as if the camera is more interested in what is going inside the mind of the hero. It is quite interesting to note that Bonifacio, who is often regarded as the most fiery of Philippine heroes (especially as compared to pacifist Jose Rizal), is portrayed here more as a sage rather than an arms-bearing general. The film is especially moody, burdening the theme with a sure impending tragedy whose repercussions as regards to current Filipino psyche is inevitably obvious and apt. The music scoring is eery and atmospheric, the acting is mostly effective. It is quite sad to know that Red's film is pretty much available to both Filipino and international viewers as the film is probably one of the most accurate biographies ever put on screen. ****1/2/*****

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • I'm afraid of the quiet man
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #35 on: Oct 29, 2005 at 12:42 PM »
If I remember right, Bonifacio's name is never mentioned in the film at all--this being some controversy about the nature of his death (hot topic among historians, even today). Teddy Co liked to argue that Bayani takes place in an alternative universe, where someone like Bonifacio existed, and that this is one version of what happened.

Our first major science-fiction film (of the alternate-universe genre) in effect.

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: Oct 29, 2005 at 01:18 PM »
Yup, Bonifacio's name is never mentioned. He's always referred to as the Supremo. I don't know if I'll buy the alternative universe angle but that's surely an interesting take on the film.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: Oct 29, 2005 at 09:53 PM »
No, it's a stretch. But it looks like a different world, doesn't it, or definitely a different time? Beautiful photography.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: Oct 31, 2005 at 10:33 AM »
Burlesque Queen

One of Vilma's best and most hearfelt performances ever, with a visual style that is truly Celso Ad's own.

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: Oct 31, 2005 at 11:50 AM »
Mario O'Hara considers Celso's eye superior to even Gerry de Leon's. And in the late '70s and early '80s, when everyone was at the peak of their powers, Celso was whispered to be the one most likely to break out internationally. What happened next was that Lino solidified his reputation abroad with more political films, Bernal came out with Maynila By Night and Himala, and Celso started to become erratic--or more erratic usual, even for him. But for a time there, he was it, the prodigal son in more ways than one.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2005 at 11:57 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #40 on: Oct 31, 2005 at 01:20 PM »
Yes, O'Hara did say that Celso Ad's visual style just blew him away. Saw a copy of Julian Makabayan on VCD; wanted to get it but was apprehensive. What do you think of it Noel? Teddy said that "it could've been a classic".

But back to Vilma in Burlesque, it's one of the rare times I've seen her act with such restraint and bereft of the usual hysterics. The scene where she speaks to her dying father was unforgettable.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2005 at 02:50 PM by RMN »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: Oct 31, 2005 at 02:16 PM »
Haven't seen the VCD. the 16 mm I saw barely had a soundtrack, so I didn't understand the story. But the visuals blew me away.

Offline RMN

• DVD Guru
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: Oct 31, 2005 at 03:00 PM »

Krus na Kawayan by Manuel Conde

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: Nov 01, 2005 at 02:42 PM »
i also think Brocka's Tubog Sa Ginto was one of those films that showed the inner feelings and desires of a closeted homosexual played by Eddie Garcial in probably one of his finest screen portrayals.

Forgot about this film.

Tubog sa Guinto (Dipped in Gold, 1970)
« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2005 at 02:07 PM by Noel_Vera »

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: Nov 01, 2005 at 05:06 PM »
Burlesque Queen

One of Vilma's best and most hearfelt performances ever, with a visual style that is truly Celso Ad's own.

Couldn't agree more. Strong, strong visuals of Celso Ad that only him can solidify. Established him as one of the enfant terrible of Philippine Cinema.

I'm also dying to see PAGPUTI NG UWAK, PAGITIM NG TAGAK.

Offline viper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • i took the money and ran . . . . but now I'm back
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: Nov 01, 2005 at 06:00 PM »
The Anothers!

;D ;D ;D ;D
Yay yay yay!!!

Offline shu_lien

• Collector
  • Li Mu Bai!
  • Liked:
« Reply #46 on: Nov 08, 2005 at 04:16 PM »
ISPIRITISTA

aliw ako sa mga taga-EAT BULAGA  ;D

nuon, Ruby Rodriguez never fails to show up on a vic/joey movie ---- ngayon DAUGHTER na nya kasama... at si GLADYS na ang katulong...

Offline llanesmark777

• DVD Addict
  • You don't know the power of the dark side.
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: Jan 02, 2006 at 12:38 PM »
Ive seen Ako Ligal Wife and Exodus.

Exodus is acceptable.

Ako Ligal Wife, I like the acting of Ms. Padilla

Offline jerix

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • PinoyDVD Legend
  • got no golden ears...just loving music
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #48 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 08:47 AM »

Exodus is acceptable.

Problema ko lang dito -- panlaban daw ito sa Lord of the Rings sabi ni Bong Revilla  ;D ;D ;D Excuse me!
Samsung65MU6303/TCL4kPS49TV/OnkSR608/OnkTXNR676/Marantz/Akai/Sansui/PrjEssential-II

Offline kobe

• Apprentice
  • I'm a llama!
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 09:09 AM »
Problema ko lang dito -- panlaban daw ito sa Lord of the Rings sabi ni Bong Revilla  ;D ;D ;D Excuse me!

Whoa!!! Akala ko Lord of Charings yung sinasabi nyang pwedeng tapatan ng movie nya... malayo naman ang itsura ni PJ kay eric matti a...  ;D ;D :D ;D

Offline garee

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • DVD Addict
  • "your look, sounds familiar"
  • Liked:
« Reply #50 on: Jan 03, 2006 at 01:25 PM »
MULAWIN the movie
rated A
kaya siguro rated A kase puro sigawan ng AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

;D

Offline El Zar

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • DVD Guru
  • Rebelde de Kamote
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #51 on: Jan 09, 2006 at 09:58 AM »
MULAWIN the movie
rated A
kaya siguro rated A kase puro sigawan ng AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

;D

Baka Komedi kasi. Even the rating is a joke...

Offline tonedeaf

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • DVD Guru
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #52 on: Jan 12, 2006 at 11:30 PM »
Don't Give Up On Us  :)

Bb. Joyce Bernal has not lost her touch  ;D

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: Jan 19, 2006 at 05:41 PM »
Salome - Laurice Guillen

I finally saw Laurice Guillen's hailed film Salome and I must say that I'm pretty impressed with it. Salome is about the titular barrio girl (played with much versatility by a young Gina Alajar) who is married to a domineering man named Macario (Johnny Delgado). The film starts quite wonderfully with a pleasant montage of an early morning in a rural town, with roosters crowing, the bright sun glaring, and the waves steadily blanketing the glistening beach. Then comes Salome, dressed in white stained with red blood, running and screeching for help, finally saying that he has killed a man. The man (Dennis Roldan) is a mining engineer from Manila who finds himself drawn to Salome. Guillen and her screenwriter Ricardo Lee basically unravels Salome's story through a series of flashbacks of the man's murder. Some have claimed that Salome is a Filipino version of Akira Kurosawa's Rashomon and they are probably right as Guillen and Lee follows the same style. Yet while Kurosawa was interested in the multi-faceted aspect of truth, Guillen is more interested in the powerplay of the genders. Guillen's films have been described as feminist in spirit and Salome, while still having the typical Filipino plot movements that mostly involve showing females at their weakest (rape scenes or wife-beating scenes), it presents the central female character as a chameleon of sorts, ready to use, to attack, to even distort the truth, to maintain that de facto seat of power men consciously and mistakenly refer to as a weakness. Yet if such is a weakness, then why do men swoon and go insane with lust like the man from Manila who ends his life during that erstwhile affair. If such is a weakness, then why do men give everything and still beg and plea for repentance as the character of Macario does when societal justice fails to repair the wounds of an already scarred marriage. Salome is not interested with truth, as we can see the courts has settled that for us yet the film does not end where the court has determined Salome's criminal liability. The film is more of an examination of a woman's power to drive men crazy and down to their knees with just a tinge of innocence coupled with the attractive curves of their bodies. The same power that drove the residents of that seaside barrio away from the beach where the mythical mermaids dwell yet incessantly lures the village idiot back to wait for nothing but sure death. ****1/2/*****

Offline oggsmoggs

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • oggsmoggs.blogspot.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: Jan 23, 2006 at 06:10 PM »
Sana Maulit Muli - Olivia Lamasan

I caught Olivia Lamasan's Sana Maulit Muli (roughly translated as Till It Happens Again) on cable. Last time I caught this film was a few years back and I remember being satisfied with the film. With my recent viewing, I must say that my feelings towards the film haven't changed much but there are a few stuff that I noticed. Sana Maulit Muli is about the relationship of Jerry (Aga Muhlach) and Agnes (Lea Salonga). Jerry is an up and coming advertising man who aside from saving up for his wedding with Agnes, has a sister to send to school and parents to give monthly sustenance. Agnes, on the other hand, is a timid girl who is being petitioned to become an American immigrant by her mother. The two try to survive the hardships of a long distance relationship but as most relationships of that sort, their communication crumbles. A few months later, Agnes has established herself as a successful real estate agent while Jerry decides to stop over San Francisco for old time's sake. Jerry tries his best to revive old flames by overstaying in San Francisco and abandoning his advertising job in the Philippines in exchange for blue collar jobs in San Francisco. The film is very well made. Romy Vitug's cinematography is quite a joy to behold. Though Lamasan may not be able to withhold from showing the tourist sites in San Francisco ala video travelogue, she keeps such in a minimum and instead gives primary importance by instilling a cold and difficult atmosphere during the interior scenes. There's so much to observe from the film. Lamasan and his scriptwriters pump the love story with several sideplots that are both engaging and well thought of. The sideplot regarding Jerry's co-workers who are being maltreated by their Filipino boss is quite effective portraying the realities of immigrant life - that it is not all milk and honey, but coupled with hardships and threats coming, most painfully, from fellow Filipinos. The most glaring observation in my second viewing is Lea Salonga's acting. Aga Muhlach is very good here. He is quite natural as the suffering boyfriend. However, Salonga, who became famous playing Kim in the broadway musicale Miss Saigon, can't keep up. She delivers her lines in English with so much gusto and enunciation that you can't help but feel that she's acting for a live audience. Her performance undoes the film. Even her weeping scenes early in the film are overdone. It's a very good thing that Salonga possesses a natural charisma that would fool anybody who watches the film for the very first time. ***/*****
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2006 at 08:45 PM by oggsmoggs »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: Jan 24, 2006 at 01:27 AM »
Actually, watching it with an audience is instructive. The girls loved Aga, hated Lea; one girl behind me in particular kept demanding that Lea hide her face and make way for her "much prettier" co-star. To tell the truth, she (the girl behind me) was funnier and more entertaining than anything on the big screen. ;D
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2006 at 01:28 AM by Noel_Vera »

Offline Noel_Vera

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: Jan 24, 2006 at 01:37 AM »
Incidentally, how did you see Salome? What I know is that all prints are gone. Are they showing that on Cinema One?

It's pretty good (Rashomon, with a better understanding of women's sexuality), but I do much prefer Init sa Magdamag. That I think is Guillen's masterpiece.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: Jan 24, 2006 at 08:31 AM »
Even the defunct Bancom Audiovision has no copy of the film except, perhaps, the producer Armida Siguion Reyna.

Offline jdv1229

• DVD Guru
  • Movie Fan
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: Jan 24, 2006 at 08:32 AM »
Even the defunct Bancom Audiovision has no copy of the film except, perhaps, the producer Armida Siguion Reyna.

even Laurice Guillen doesn't have a copy of the movie... how unfortunate.

Offline keating

• PinoyDVD Legend
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: Jan 24, 2006 at 08:36 AM »
Was it negligence on their part, Jo? Even Peque was looking before on BINHI his first feature.